Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,538 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware (26458 Views)

A New Trick Scammers Use To Divert Your Phone Account Balance / Etisalat Now Charge 2.00 For Sms To Other Network / Ever Sent A Dirty Sms To The Wrong Person? What Happened Thereafter ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Bigdreams(m): 10:10am On Jan 14, 2013
As a bulk sms website owner and creator, the scammer could have made use of a security flaw on the bulk sms website he used. In the admin area of my bulk sms website, there is a security feature which enables the owner to list prohibited words such as EFCC, CBN and a host of others. This ensures that text messages with customized Sender ID's that are prohibited do not deliver to their intended recipients. I also will have to update my prohibited words list to hinder such occurences. To the OP, congrats.
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by venorite(m): 10:18am On Jan 14, 2013
Bigdreams: As a bulk sms website owner and creator, the scammer could have made use of a security flaw on the bulk sms website he used. In the admin area of my bulk sms website, there is a security feature which enables the owner to list prohibited words such as EFCC, CBN and a host of others. This ensures that text messages with customized Sender ID's that are prohibited do not deliver to their intended recipients. I also will have to update my prohibited words list to hinder such occurences. To the OP, congrats.
Thanks bro...let help in this fight
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Nobody: 10:21am On Jan 14, 2013
YOUNGKAHUNA: Nigerians Are So Creative.......Thanks For The Info.
Did you mean creative ironically?! undecided
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by babasho1: 10:25am On Jan 14, 2013
I was also scammed by one idiot calling himself Chibia Fynecontry whose phone number is 07064702610. This guy promise to sell me a software and I paid into his account. Meanwhile, He was picking my calls and kept discussion with me until the money dropped into his account. The moment the money dropped in he stopped picking my calls, even till now. Pls what can I do? Here is the guy when I went on line looking for his data.

His scamming message and pics:
Hello my new friend, my name is chibia chidozie fynecontry. Chibia means Godcome, chidozie means God delivers and fynecontry is just my surname.

I am 28 years old born in the month of june and I was born in germany . I am a Nigerian and a graduate of miscommunication from moshood abiola polytechnic abeokuta ogun state Nigeria .

I live in abeokuta , ogun state, Nigeria . I am inot online trading, online advertising/personal selling, vacation tours and fabric design.

My hobbies include, driving, traveling, networking and reasearching.

My dreams in life are to be able to stand out of the crowd.

What I desire in our friendship is total commitment to one another, trust, care and fun.

I am ,not here to scam, I don’t need money or sudden marriage. I ma single and I have not been married before so that is not my priority, all I want is just to have a good friend and to have a forum for ideas, write letters, make calls, exchange pictures and viit each other when the time is right.

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Nobody: 10:25am On Jan 14, 2013
I always knew they could do this, so any time I receive a payment notification I just log into my online account to double check.

If this does not go through I put a call to my Accounts Officer sharp sharp.

I always make sure I double check payments made before I make delivery.

If you want to scam me of my sweat you will have to work extra, extra hard.
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Nobody: 10:28am On Jan 14, 2013
venorite: .

It's a pity my iPad cannot upload pictures cos its still on version 5.1, if not I would have uploaded the gtbank credit alert I got.

u wan sell archaic IPAD for 85 k...?u are also a fraud bro

2 Likes

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Nobody: 10:28am On Jan 14, 2013
babasho1: I was also scammed by one idiot calling himself Chibia Fynecontry whose phone number is 07064702610. This guy promise to sell me a software and I paid into his account. Meanwhile, He was picking my calls and kept discussion with me until the money dropped into his account. The moment the money dropped in he stopped picking my calls, even till now. Pls what can I do? Here is the guy when I went on line looking for his data.

His scamming message and pics:
Hello my new friend, my name is chibia chidozie fynecontry. Chibia means Godcome, chidozie means God delivers and fynecontry is just my surname.

I am 28 years old born in the month of june and I was born in germany . I am a Nigerian and a graduate of miscommunication from moshood abiola polytechnic abeokuta ogun state Nigeria .

I live in abeokuta , ogun state, Nigeria . I am inot online trading, online advertising/personal selling, vacation tours and fabric design.

My hobbies include, driving, traveling, networking and reasearching.

My dreams in life are to be able to stand out of the crowd.

What I desire in our friendship is total commitment to one another, trust, care and fun.

I am ,not here to scam, I don’t need money or sudden marriage. I ma single and I have not been married before so that is not my priority, all I want is just to have a good friend and to have a forum for ideas, write letters, make calls, exchange pictures and viit each other when the time is right.

This is a classic sccam mail.

I think you should know that by now since you are a Nigerian.
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by 2kurupt(m): 10:35am On Jan 14, 2013
YOUNGKAHUNA: Nigerians Are So Creative.......Thanks For The Info.
you call dat creative?? More like mischievous

@OP. Thnx God you succeeded in retrieving your iPad. Lesson of the day: Confirm bank balance before concluding transaction
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by venorite(m): 10:44am On Jan 14, 2013
ehie:
Bro believe me, ure a dumb skull...dats just the truth. It's on version 5.1 cos I jailbroke it and I refuse to upgrade cos I heard version 6 is same as version 5.1. U probably haven't seen an iPad before and u def don't have money to buy it.pls stick to ur Nokia torch abeg.

1 Like

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by venorite(m): 10:46am On Jan 14, 2013
ehie:
And mind u, iOS devices on 5.1 does not have upload option on nairaland except iOS 6
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by bigtt76(f): 10:49am On Jan 14, 2013
This na badt guy!!! grin grin grin imagine @ Your bal (receiving text) chai naija boys o!
venorite: Bro...this is the SMS I got..transaction notification:84000 Cr (CASH DEPOSIT-) on 004*******. Your bal (receiving text)....if you were in my shoe wat will you think...I saw receiving text and thought more messages were going to come
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by venorite(m): 10:58am On Jan 14, 2013
bigtt76: This na badt guy!!! grin grin grin imagine @ Your bal (receiving text) chai naija boys o!
As in eh...bois re smart ooo...na. god just save my ass..I for don tun maga wey dey pay
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by brownlord: 11:11am On Jan 14, 2013
@ op happy for u, but u r too dull, first I will not believe this news, cos u said the guy said he paid money, and u proceeded, to give the driver the ipad, now u sent the drivers number to the guy, and when u discover it was a scam, u tried calling the driver, and his number was switched, and the followin day u called and the driver said he switched off his phone because the same guy u ask the driver to deliver package to has been calling him the driver that was why he switched off his phone WHY was he not suppose to deliver the package to him, what then prompt him to switch off his fone witout u alerting him not to deliver, pls enlighteen me, until then I don't believe, and if the news eventually is true, why would u ask the driver to return the ipad, when that would hv been a better way to arrest him when he comes up to claim the ipad from the driver, is either this story is complete bogus lie, or if true u a complete OLODO na una foolishness this guys dey see when make them dey advance every day cos a normal human being if receive alert would know that his alrt is suppose to come wit amount deposit and present balance, I dey wait ur reply

1 Like

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by femi4: 11:23am On Jan 14, 2013
brownlord: @ op happy for u, but u r too dull, first I will not believe this news, cos u said the guy said he paid money, and u proceeded, to give the driver the ipad, now u sent the drivers number to the guy, and when u discover it was a scam, u tried calling the driver, and his number was switched, and the followin day u called and the driver said he switched off his phone because the same guy u ask the driver to deliver package to has been calling him the driver that was why he switched off his phone WHY was he not suppose to deliver the package to him, what then prompt him to switch off his fone witout u alerting him not to deliver, pls enlighteen me, until then I don't believe, and if the news eventually is true, why would u ask the driver to return the ipad, when that would hv been a better way to arrest him when he comes up to claim the ipad from the driver, is either this story is complete bogus lie, or if true u a complete OLODO na una foolishness this guys dey see when make them dey advance every day cos a normal human being if receive alert would know that his alrt is suppose to come wit amount deposit and present balance, I dey wait ur reply
Guy, you have so many issues, So you find it difficult to comprehend. How will the Op arrest the scammer?

1 Like

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by venorite(m): 11:25am On Jan 14, 2013
brownlord: @ op happy for u, but u r too dull, first I will not believe this news, cos u said the guy said he paid money, and u proceeded, to give the driver the ipad, now u sent the drivers number to the guy, and when u discover it was a scam, u tried calling the driver, and his number was switched, and the followin day u called and the driver said he switched off his phone because the same guy u ask the driver to deliver package to has been calling him the driver that was why he switched off his phone WHY was he not suppose to deliver the package to him, what then prompt him to switch off his fone witout u alerting him not to deliver, pls enlighteen me, until then I don't believe, and if the news eventually is true, why would u ask the driver to return the ipad, when that would hv been a better way to arrest him when he comes up to claim the ipad from the driver, is either this story is complete bogus lie, or if true u a complete OLODO na una foolishness this guys dey see when make them dey advance every day cos a normal human being if receive alert would know that his alrt is suppose to come wit amount deposit and present balance, I dey wait ur reply
Oga really I don't owe u amy explanation but am going to reply you. I sent him a message and he called me back when he switched his fone on. He is a driver and he said he usually doesn't like picking calls when he is driving and the dude kept calling him so he had to switch off. I didn't send any number to the driver, I gave him the number when I gave him the iPad at the park. You should learn to read cos English is pretty easy. You should read and understand before you start typing sh.it from your computer or whatever device you are using.how am I suppose to arrest someone in Aba while am in onisha. Ure a wonder. So u can't even assimilate simple story like this...SMH for you.pls go to school,it helps.

4 Likes

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by kzokul(m): 11:26am On Jan 14, 2013
D good thing about d whole scenaro is that u fast enough 2 gt ur ipad back...
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by venorite(m): 11:27am On Jan 14, 2013
femi4: Guy, you have so many issues, So you find it difficult to comprehend. How will the Op arrest the scammer?
Oga pls ask him. No comma, no full stop.just spewing sh.it. And someone liked his comment. Na wa ooo
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Hardfact: 11:27am On Jan 14, 2013
Any way to trace buksms source?
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by venorite(m): 11:28am On Jan 14, 2013
Hardfact: Any way to trace buksms source?
I still have message and the message center number,I don't know if that can help. Am still on his case sha and I know he is following this forum.
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Revolva(m): 11:29am On Jan 14, 2013
venorite: Bro...this is the SMS I got..transaction notification:84000 Cr (CASH DEPOSIT-) on 004*******. Your bal (receiving text)....if you were in my shoe wat will you think...I saw receiving text and thought more messages were going to come
Oga you get luck next time shine your eyes..alert without your balance !! And you posted your ipad..by now you for dey cry!!....but why is it that GTBank is always used for scam purposes always
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by dridowu: 11:30am On Jan 14, 2013
God pls save us from scammers
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by venorite(m): 11:31am On Jan 14, 2013
Revolva:
Oga you get luck next time shine your eyes..alert without your balance !! And you posted your ipad..by now you for dey cry!!....but why is it that GTBank is always used for scam purposes always
Have learnt my lesson sha. Just that have done so many deals online that I wasn't expecting any scam ish. I didn't even read the SMS alert finish until I checked my account balance.the truth is that I wasnt really expecting any fraud but I was wrong
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by brownlord: 12:01pm On Jan 14, 2013
venorite:
As in eh...bois re smart ooo...na. god just save my ass..I for don tun maga wey dey pay

U still be maga
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by venorite(m): 12:31pm On Jan 14, 2013
brownlord:

U still be maga
But I no pay...lol
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by bleeztouch(m): 12:34pm On Jan 14, 2013
Thank You nairaland,i wish this can come out on our newspapers.I own a bulksms website but we nigerian always abuse technology.Thanks for the post
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Piro4rl(m): 12:47pm On Jan 14, 2013
[quote author=luluosas]OP, thank God your iPad was not lost to this useless scammer.
Yes, you can send a customize messages using free sms on the net with any name you like.
Please, next time you get any alert of deposit into your account, the authentic sms alert from your bank will display the amount deposited, by who and your current balance. But, a scam sms alert will only say so so and so amount was deposited into your account by so so and so without showing your current balance. Reasons that they don't have access to your account. Please be very careful next time.
However, I want you to report him to EFCC right away so that his likes will be a thing of the past in Nigeria.

Good info.
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Hardfact: 12:48pm On Jan 14, 2013
Oops, Error!
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by bigass(f): 1:23pm On Jan 14, 2013
[size=16pt]Na today?it is very simple. stop giving out the number associated with your account to your clients. my mtn is associated with account but i give out glo, if i receive alerts on this glo then you be thief![/size]

2 Likes

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by ochukoccna: 1:35pm On Jan 14, 2013
@ venorite,that was a close call yet this scam isn't new
I first read about it in The PUNCH about 2 years back
Also for you to want to sell an iPad,I believe you should have a smartphone which should deliver email alerts (of bank transactions) real time to you
Also move with your ATM card to check your balance too seeing commuinication(phone&email) have their off days many times in 9ja
Lastly,if you had the time,you would have put a little more effort alongside using the driver along with 9ja men in black to nail the fraudster
Even when he bails himself,e for eat detention beans,be out of circulation for a while &spend money bail himself.
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by venorite(m): 1:39pm On Jan 14, 2013
ochukoccna: @ venorite,that was a close call yet this scam isn't new
I first read about it in The PUNCH about 2 years back
Also for you to want to sell an iPad,I believe you should have a smartphone which should deliver email alerts (of bank transactions) real time to you
Also move with your ATM card to check your balance too seeing commuinication(phone&email) have their off days many times in 9ja
Lastly,if you had the time,you put more effort and use the driver along with 9ja men in black nail the fraudster
Even when he bails himself,e for eat detention beans&spend money bail himself
Yes I know. The problem is just that I didn't have any scam ish in minds. Dat was where I messed up. I just felt it was d straight deal. I don't receive email alerts as regards my account transactions. Am on it as regards working with the driver. I know he thinks pple can't get to him but am digging deep and I will surprise him.thanks for your advise, I really appreciate
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by uchlukez(f): 2:46pm On Jan 14, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Upgrade 4.0.4 For Tecno P3, N3, And Other Gingerbread Device now available / Confirmed : Innjoo Lagos Office Has Been Shut Down By NCC / Why It's That Nobody Care's About LG Smartphone.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.