Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,801 members, 7,813,636 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

Is University Education In Nigeria A Waste Of Time And Money? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is University Education In Nigeria A Waste Of Time And Money? (832 Views)

University Courses That Are Waste Of Time / Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is University Education In Nigeria A Waste Of Time And Money? by abysirius(m): 10:22pm On Jan 12, 2013
While many still believe that education is the best legacy, others are of the opinion that education (tertiary) is not the right option. In fact, some refer to it as a mere waste of time and money. I wouldn't know if there had been a downward movement in terms of the number of students that are writing UTME(JAMB) days, but I'm sure many teenagers now believe that education is not everything especially those that see future in the show biz industry. They either want to be the next Tuface, Mikel Obi or 9ice Alapomeji. To them most of these so called celebrities do not have university degrees and they are still very fine. They also believe they can do the same. And honestly let's take a good look at the nigeria show biz industry, d list of 'DO' there is endless.

However, I still know a lot, I mean highly educated nigerians with degrees from our skools here that belong to the knowledge world and are doing very well. I think pple av different views to life and I wouldn't want to say that any1 is wrong not thinking like me.

I remember in 2003 back then in Lasu. I was going to pay my tuition fee and acceptance fee then as a fresh man and one of my frnds that happen to b a trader at Iyana-Oba knew about it that I was planning to pay about 50k then into skool purse and the guy shook his head...to him, I wasn't thinking right. He said 'Ore', pls give me this money for a year and come and see wat I can make of it with my biz. That's his thought!

University education to me is key. It helps u to think outside d box. It's an enhancer and never a constraint.

I wasn't too young when Olofin was playin for Crown FC Ogbomoso and also for Lautech skool team...he combined it very well and today he can tell of his success story. Education illuminate our minds...u see things clearly and it helps u in managing ur resources. If u're in biz u do it beta. Do u know of some footballers then and even musicians that used to be very rich but are not anymore just because they have no education? Olofin believes that football career is vry short so he considers taking even MSc class while he's still playin..He's a graduate of Chemical Engnrin and mayb he's not playin anymore...He knows what to do with his money. Education is very important and to me I won't jetsone it for any other thing...

(1) (Reply)

120k / Between My Boss And I, Who Was Wrong? / Football Bettor. Sure Win Betting Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.