Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,921 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:34 PM

What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? (12403 Views)

What Was Budgeted For The Federal Ministry Of Interior #saatahbudgetseries / Presidency To Spend N114m On Feeding In 2016 – Document / Describe Your Governor's Performance In 2013 In One Word? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by thelastPope(m): 12:10am On Jan 16, 2013
GARRI (x7):
@OP: Since we can't find food in the budget, see the link below. Maybe that explains why..

www.odili.net/news/source/2011/jul/28/501.html

Another source:

www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56234:minimum-wage-fashola-introduces-austerity-measures-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Why did this not affect the monies spent on the blue rail launch which was unnecessary and the food and drinks that the people were scrambling over? Do you know how much was paid to music artists in the last Lagos state event i attended? Some artists were paid in millions! You can defend the amount spent but to suggest no monies are spent on these things is ridiculous!

1 Like

Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by GARRIx7(m): 12:20am On Jan 16, 2013
thelastPope:

Why did this not affect the monies spent on the blue rail launch which was unnecessary and the food and drinks that the people were scrambling over? Do you know how much was paid to music artists in the last Lagos state event i attended? Some artists were paid in millions! You can defend the amount spent but to suggest no monies are spent on these things is ridiculous!

.... Can you prove that the money paid to the Artistes came from the purse of Lagos State??

.... Didn't it occur to you that the event might have been sponsored??

.... Do you know that some events organised by Govt. Agencies are sponsored by private organizations??
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by takedat(m): 12:24am On Jan 16, 2013
thelastPope:

How are you so sure it was the state government that paid the bill for the blue rail launch? It was more of a launch organised by the Chinese partners. Can we know the Lagos state event you attended as an invited guest for you to know how much was paid to the artistes? Abi na mouth u dey make?
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by thelastPope(m): 12:30am On Jan 16, 2013
take dat: How are you so sure it was the state government that paid the bill for the blue rail launch? It was more of a launch organised by the Chinese partners. Can we know the Lagos state event you attended as an invited guest for you to know how much was paid to the artistes? Abi na mouth u dey make?

Look, we can go on forever with this argument because you will never admit and I dont expect you to. What is important to me is your suggestion that the state doesnt spend monies on entertainment of government guests and events or that those expenditure is made from the governor's pocket. Some government events are spnsored even at the FG level. But not all government events are sponsored and the government does not take care of their day to day guests through sponsorship. Leave that argument alone.

1 Like

Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by babapupa: 12:53am On Jan 16, 2013
thelastPope:

Why are you guys this ignorant? Food budget is not for eating in cabinet meetings. The FG does not serve food in cabinet meetings. Every tier of government entertain various kinds of guests daily from local to international guests. Lagos state invites and liaises with professional, civil society, international organisations, etc on daily basis just like the FG and other state governments. This is not rocket science and the governor does not pay from his pocket. It is not a personal thing. To say he pays from his pocket is a ridiculous thing to say. The @op has asked a question. If you do not have the answer, you waka pass. it is not by force to answer. But to suggest that a tier of government does not have a fund for taking care of feeding and entertainment for guests and events is ridiculous. The LASG government has hosted musical artists for example, on many occasions and paid them millions and put them in hotels and fed them Same for civil society groups, foreign visitors and much more. The government spent millions on refreshments during the launching of the blue rail project last week. Governments do these and much more on daily bases and they are all budgeted for. Nothing is spent in government outside the budget. It is unconstitutional to spend monies outside the budget. I shouldnt be telling you that!

You and the op are just too ret.arded and confused for your own good. Your co dumb and dumber laptop crew member came up with the food at cabinet meetings nonsense so call your laptop friend ignorant you silly clown.

You losers came up with your dumb food budget rubbish, but you can not even prove that rubbish exist within the state budget to start with. The fact that you id.iots are capable of formulating your insane nonsense doesn't mean we are obligated to entertain your ignotance and stupidity.

1 Like

Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by babapupa: 12:57am On Jan 16, 2013
thelastPope:

Look, we can go on forever with this argument because you will never admit and I dont expect you to. What is important to me is your suggestion that the state doesnt spend monies on entertainment of government guests and events or that those expenditure is made from the governor's pocket. Some government events are spnsored even at the FG level. But not all government events are sponsored and the government does not take care of their day to day guests through sponsorship. Leave that argument alone.

But since you've convinced yourself that there is a budget somewhere and the state spends money on entertainment, the burden is then on you to produce what you are asking us for since you obviously know so much and have all the info.

We should be asking you what you are asking us.

How re.tarded can you laptops be...

1 Like

Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by thelastPope(m): 1:16am On Jan 16, 2013
babapupa:

You and the op are just too ret.arded and confused for your own good. Your co dumb and dumber laptop crew member came up with the food at cabinet meetings nonsense so call your laptop friend ignorant you silly clown.

You losers came up with your dumb food budget rubbish, but you can not even prove that rubbish exist within the state budget to start with. The fact that you id.iots are capable of formulating your insane nonsense doesn't mean we are obligated to entertain your ignotance and stupidity.

Since you cannot grow up, i will ignore you. You aint worth my 2kb data. Obviously, your idea of a public debate is exchange of insults. that is beneath me. That is the lot of rascals and agberos. If you dont have anything to say, just ignore the thread and waka pass. You must not open your mouth in public. Even a foool is considered wise when he keeps his mouth shut in public. Move on. No one will notice and no one will ask... cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by naptu2: 3:01am On Jan 16, 2013
It's been proven that there's no food budget. You can't prove that there's a food budget (apart from assumptions). The engineer stated that refreshments at the launch of the blue rail line were provided by CCECC (the governor didn't even drink the fanta that CCECC provided, which is why the crowd were rushing for it after the ceremony).

I put it to you that this food budget is a figment of your imagination. Can you prove otherwise?

Not even a shred of proof, yet you call others ignorant.

Food budget does not magically exist just because you want it to, you know?

Below: the governor receiving the Chief of Air Staff. Do you see any food around? (Things don't just happen because you wish it, or because you say it must be so. Provide proof of a food budget).

[img]http://www.blackface.mobi/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/IMG_2091-300x167.jpg[/img]
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by naptu2: 3:10am On Jan 16, 2013
The one who can't provide a shred of evidence is calling others, who have repeatedly provided evidence, ignorant.

We are not asking you to say "there must be a food budget" (anyone can say that, even patrons at a beer parlour can say that) we are asking you to provide proof that there's a food budget.
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by EkoIle1: 3:19am On Jan 16, 2013
thelastPope:

Since you cannot grow up, i will ignore you. You aint worth my 2kb data. Obviously, your idea of a public debate is exchange of insults. that is beneath me. That is the lot of rascals and agberos. If you dont have anything to say, just ignore the thread and waka pass. You must not open your mouth in public. Even a foool is considered wise when he keeps his mouth shut in public. Move on. No one will notice and no one will ask... cheesy cheesy cheesy

Look at this worthless clown talking about debate. What is debate to you? You call your usual internet idiocy debate? lmao

How do you debate what you yourself can not prove exist? Clueless laptop number HIV10.

Ignorant dullard son of the main dullard aka Jonathan..LMAO

2 Likes

Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by naptu2: 3:36am On Jan 16, 2013
It's clear that he's just making up stuff because he wants to paint the LASG bad. He's not really interested in transparency.

I've provided the LASG budget (there's no sign of food budget there), Garri (x7) has provided a link that shows there's no food budget, I've provided pictures that show that food is not served to guests of the Lagos State Government, but all he has provided is "there must be food budget" (not a shred of evidence beyond that)!

This is looking like a waste of time.

2 Likes

Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by Standing5(m): 4:40am On Jan 16, 2013
I hereby declare this thread a waste of time. Sincere 7gerian should really apologise for this far-below-average idea of trying to put NL user who are passionate about good governance on the defensive.
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by Maxymilliano(m): 5:47am On Jan 16, 2013
naptu2: It's clear that he's just making up stuff because he wants to paint the LASG bad. He's not really interested in transparency.

I've provided the LASG budget (there's no sign of food budget there), Garri (x7) has provided a link that shows there's no food budget, I've provided pictures that show that food is not served to guests of the Lagos State Government, but all he has provided is "there must be food budget" (not a shred of evidence beyond that)!

It does not necessarily have to be food budget but there's budgetary provisions for entertainment amongst others, which is likely classified as miscellaneous under running expenses for the day-to-day activities at Governor's office, Alausa and State house, Marina.
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by ba7man(m): 5:49am On Jan 16, 2013
To all the ACN trolls online, I'm asking....What was Budgeted by the Lagos State Govt For Grooming In 2013?? At Least, We Know Fashola Buys Skin Cream (Its Harmattan), Toothpaste, Cuts His Hair, Buys Boxer Shorts etc. We Need Transparency In Nigeria So All These Information Has To Be Shared Knowledge. Am i not right?? Sincere Nigerian.
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by naptu2: 6:24am On Jan 16, 2013
This is getting really old. I think this will be my last post on this thread. It seems the OP is not really interested in food budget, rather the thread is a "search for anything you can find to discredit the Lagos State Government" thread. We've gone from food at Lagos House, to S.E.C meetings, to Blue Rail commissioning, to concerts and back again, still no proof, just speculation.

Maxymilliano:
It does not necessarily have to be food budget but there's budgetary provisions for entertainment amongst others, which is likely classified as miscellaneous under running expenses for the day-to-day activities at Governor's office, Alausa and State house, Marina.

Re: What Was Budgeted By The Lagos State Govt For Feeding In 2013? by GARRI (x7)(m): 11:56pm On Jan 15

@OP: Since we can't find food in the budget, see the link below. Maybe that explains why..

www.odili.net/news/source/2011/jul/28/501.html

Daily Sun learnt in an executive order circulated by the state government that the new austerity measures, such as discontinuation of oversea trips for government officials, television set/decoders, subsidy on petroleum products, money spent on frills and jamborees T-shirts/caps, food, car maintenance, among others have been banned.

Another source:

www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56234:minimum-wage-fashola-introduces-austerity-measures-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

FACED with the challenge of rising up to the statutory obligation of paying the recently-introduced N18,000 minimum wage, the Lagos State Government has drastically cut down on other expenditures.

To this end, Governor Babatunde Fashola has declared that, henceforth, provision of TV sets, Cable TV decoders, overseas trips and training by government officials, as well as money spent on frills and jamborees, T-shirts, caps, foods and others, may be compromised.

These measures, contained in an Executive Order, which is believed to have been signed into effect by the Governor on July 12, indicated that the austerity measures are the first in the series.

So can we have some peace??
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by warrior01: 6:38am On Jan 16, 2013
naptu2: It's been proven that there's no food budget. You can't prove that there's a food budget (apart from assumptions). The engineer stated that refreshments at the launch of the blue rail line were provided by CCECC (the governor didn't even drink the fanta that CCECC provided, which is why the crowd were rushing for it after the ceremony).

I put it to you that this food budget is a figment of your imagination. Can you prove otherwise?

Not even a shred of proof, yet you call others ignorant.

Food budget does not magically exist just because you want it to, you know?

Below: the governor receiving the Chief of Air Staff. Do you see any food around? (Things don't just happen because you wish it, or because you say it must be so. Provide proof of a food budget).

[img]http://www.blackface.mobi/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/IMG_2091-300x167.jpg[/img]
Never knew you are this stup!d. which state house doesn't have budget for welfare, allowances et al. This clearly shows how hypocritical and pathetic you guys are.
Why are you guys running away from the truth always quick to ignorantly criticise the FG. Like the Op asked; how much is the LASG govt budget for feeding and other state house expenses?
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by naptu2: 6:42am On Jan 16, 2013
Hahahahhahahahahahahaha!!!

Call me when any of you provide proof rather than conjecture (I think there is therefore there must be).

At least those who claimed that Aso Rock spent money on food budget provided proof, rather than I believe there is, therefore there must be.
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by ba7man(m): 6:43am On Jan 16, 2013
naptu2: It's clear that he's just making up stuff because he wants to paint the LASG bad. He's not really interested in transparency.

True, The Poster Might Deny It But Deep Down Inside Him, He Knows Trying To Paint LASG Bad Is His Primary Motive. He Started With Questions Like "WHAT IS FASHOLA DOING IN LAGOS??". He Got Pics And Links To Answer His Question But He Kept Saying "I'm Not Seeing Anything". He Followed Up Later Asking "WHAT IS LAGOS DOING WITH ITS MONTHLY SUBSIDY FUNDS??". Asking What a State That Receives Over 20 billion Naira a Month What It Does With 200 Million Naira?? Does He Think Lagos Is a Village??. Now He's Asking " WHAT IS LAGOS STATE'S FOOD ALLOWANCE??". Meanwhile He Stays In Enugu And Is So Obsessed With Lagos. Does He Realize How Many Badly Run States He's Attention Flew Over To Start Poking Lagos??...BTW, I Noticed He Went Cold When The Light-Rail Project Was Put Up and Switched To Complaining That " ACN Trolls Were Spamming Up NL With Excessive Posts". He's Probably Got "Obsessive Lagos Compulsive Disorder".

2 Likes

Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by Nobody: 6:57am On Jan 16, 2013
naptu2: This is getting really old. I think this will be my last post on this thread. It seems the OP is not really interested in food budget, rather the thread is a "search for anything you can find to discredit the Lagos State Government" thread. We've gone from food at Lagos House, to S.E.C meetings, to Blue Rail commissioning, to concerts and back again, still no proof, just speculation.

Even the link you posted shows conclusively that the Lagos state govt budgets for feeding and refreshment, as reported below:

"To this end, Governor Babatunde Fashola has declared that, henceforth, provision of TV sets, Cable TV decoders, overseas trips and training by government officials, as well as money spent on frills and jamborees, T-shirts, caps, foods and others, may be compromised"

Even the governor did not stop or reduce this budget because he only said "may be compromised"

The argument that a whole state govt does not budget for feeding and refreshment is to say the least silly
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by Nobody: 7:03am On Jan 16, 2013
Eko Ile:

Look at this mindless and virtual LAPTOP ROBOT... lmao

You run around NL everyday like a goat begging for this and that info because you are too dumb and reta/rded like your aso rock dullard to get off your lazy azzz and work for whatever dumb info you are looking for. You need other people to validate your stupidity and shameful antics on NL. Intelligence is what you don't have, it's also what your aso rock paymaster don't have hence his incompetence and daily fooleries...

One kobo worth better pass you and the rest of your village...

Deal with issue raised by the op,insults and abusive language will not stop this question "How much was Budgeted by the lagos state government for refreshment and entertainment?...read this and continue ur rants and I will ask u same question again.

1 Like

Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by GARRIx7(m): 7:09am On Jan 16, 2013
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by GARRIx7(m): 7:09am On Jan 16, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

Even the link you posted shows conclusively that the Lagos state govt budgets for feeding and refreshment:

"To this end, Governor Babatunde Fashola has declared that, henceforth, provision of TV sets, Cable TV decoders, overseas trips and training by government officials, as well as money spent on frills and jamborees, T-shirts, caps, foods and others, may be compromised"

Even the governor did not stop or reduce this budget because he only said "may be compromised"

Quit being a mischief maker. There are two quoted articles, one of the used the word "BAN", the other said, "MAY BE COMPROMISED", and that it will be a 1st in the series of austerity measures..

Your motive once again has been exposed for discerning minds to see....

Why not quietly leave this thread since you've been exposed as a Bare-faced shameless lying hypocrite....

1 Like

Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by Gbawe: 7:15am On Jan 16, 2013
naptu2: This is getting really old. I think this will be my last post on this thread. It seems the OP is not really interested in food budget, rather the thread is a "search for anything you can find to discredit the Lagos State Government" thread. We've gone from food at Lagos House, to S.E.C meetings, to Blue Rail commissioning, to concerts and back again, still no proof, just speculation.

Now you get it. Why does he and his co-travellers do it? Because they are all insecure, feudal and clannish individuals threatened by how everyone rates Fashola a far better candidate to be President than the empty barrel they support who currently occupies the position. It is report such as that below, from El Rufai, that ruins their day and makes them rush here to start ridiculous topics like this one. Don't forget that this same worthless OP started a topic about "searching for the achievements of Fashola". He ran away from the thread when I supplied pictorial proof of extensive drainage work being done in my Surulere area.

Lagos, contrary to what the usual suspects insinuate, runs a highly efficient and exemplarily transparent budget. The Lagos state model of budgeting is millions of miles ahead of that delevered by the higly profligate and clueless FG in terms of prudence, innovation, frugality and efficacy. It goes without saying that it is only those with time to waste who will engage OP and his ilk in a back-and-forth when it is clear their clannish mission here is to hold brief daily for an opportunistic glutton and mediocrity eating garishly, buying planes and leading cluelessly while they mischievously round against a Governors whose skills and talent is reflected in every aspect of governance.

http://www.africanoutlookonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4227:lagos-sound-government-sensible-budget&catid=126:nasir-el-rufai-page&Itemid=323

Lagos: Sound Government, Sensible Budget
By Nasir el-Rufai

In continuation of our focus on state budgets’ with a view to analyzing their viability, fiscal prudence and accountability to citizens, the spotlight this week is on the South-Western state of Lagos.
Gov. Babatunde Raji Fashola of southwest Nigeria's Lagos state
Lagos state is one of the 13 states in the country which have presented a fiscal responsibility bill to the state House of Assembly, but unlike some states which have enacted the law and barely implemented it, Lagos State exhibits a high level of transparency and accountability in its budget presentation which is detailed and available on the Lagos State Government’s website.

Lagos State was created on May 27, 1967 by virtue of State (Creation and Transitional Provisions) Decree No. 14 of 1967, which restructured Nigeria’s Federation into 12 states. Prior to this, Lagos Municipality had been administered by the Federal Government through the Ministry of Lagos Affairs as regional authority, while Lagos City Council (LCC) governed the City of Lagos. The metropolitan areas (Colony Province) of Ikeja, Agege, Mushin, Ikorodu, Epe and Badagry were administered by the old Western Region. The State took off as an administrative entity on April 11, 1968 with Lagos Island serving the dual role of being the State and Federal Capital. However, with the creation of the Federal Capital Territory of Abuja in 1976, Lagos Island ceased to be the capital of the State which was then moved to Ikeja. With the formal relocation of the seat of the Federal Government to Abuja on 12 December 1991, Lagos Island ceased to be Nigeria’s administrative capital.

Mobolaji Johnson was the first Governor of the state; however Alhaji Lateef Jakande was the first elected Governor of the state who served from October 1979 to December 1983 under the Unity Party of Nigeria (UPN). More recent and significant Governors of Lagos are Buba Marwa (1996-1999), Bola Tinubu (1999-2007) and Babatunde Fashola who was elected in 2007.

Babatunde Fashola is a lawyer by profession who excelled in his professional career which spanned over a decade and a half leading to his recognition as a Senior Advocate of Nigeria. In 1999, he joined the public service and served in various capacities with the Lagos State Government until his rise to the position of Chief of Staff to Governor Bola Tinubu. In his first four years in office, marked improvements were noted within the state – the cleanliness of the metropolis which residents and visitors could attest to, improvements in roads and traffic within the state, improved transportation systems with the introduction of BRT and ferry services across the state – Fashola is without doubt, one of the few “performing” governors in the country and it must be credited to Tinubu that politically, his succession strategy has worked. The ground work for most of what is visible today in Lagos was jointly laid by Tinubu and his team including the current governor Fashola. The result is focus and continuity in governance rather than “witch-hunting” of predecessors which has bedeviled other “anointment arrangements”. Fashola’s comparatively stellar performance in office makes many wonder if professional politicians are best suited to deliver on the difficult job of good governance!

Lagos is the most populous state in Nigeria with over five per cent of the national population estimate. Ironically, it is the smallest state in terms of land mass; the state has an area of 356,861 hectares of which 75,755 hectares are wetlands. Interestingly, of this population, Metropolitan Lagos, an area covering 37% of the land area of Lagos State is home to over 85% of the State population making it a densely populated state. UN estimates that at its present growth rate, Lagos state will be third largest mega city in the world by 2015 after Tokyo in Japan and Bombay in India, with a population nearing 30 million!

[b]According to the World Bank and DFID, Lagos’ 2009 GDP is estimated at N4.163tn. Lagos which is a mega-city is the largest contributor to the national GDP at 18%. Lagos’ GDP ranks 6th after Cairo ($98 billion); Johannesburg ($79 billion); Cape Town ($75 billion). Its GDP equals that of Kenya ($29.5 billion) which has a higher population (30million) than Lagos. Lagos boasts of a higher GDP than Cameroun ($20.6 billion), Cote d’ Ivoire ($19.6 billion) and Ghana ($15.2 billion) which have populations of 19, 21 and 24 million people respectively.

The South-west zone of Nigeria is the most prosperous part of the country. According to National Bureau of Statistics Poverty Profile 2012 which studied poverty incidences nationwide using 2009 and 2010 data, poverty is classified in four categories; absolute poverty (based on daily food intake), relative poverty (determined by household expenditure) and purchasing power parity (dollar per day). 59.1% of the people in the region live above poverty line which is appreciable given the humongous 77.7% in the North-West region that live well below poverty lines. 50.1% of people in the South-West survive on about a dollar a day while only 25.4% are absolutely (food) poor which is impressive compared to other states in the country[/b].

Gini coefficients are used to measure income inequalities and in Lagos, a co-efficient of -26.2% indicates a decrease in income inequalities within Lagos State between 2003 and 2010 – something the governors should be proud of! Lagos has the highest percentage in Nigeria (85.4%) of people who can feed themselves. Statistics also indicate that 40.8% of the population in Lagos live above poverty lines. Though there is room for improvement in the poverty indices, it is much better than states like Bauchi and Sokoto where only 16.3% and 13.6% respectively live above poverty lines!

[size=14pt]Lagos state is one of the few in the country which has a well detailed and structured budget made available to the public on the state Government’s website which is fully functional. The budgets are properly explained and broken down by the MDAs with expenditures and revenues properly accounted for. Also, the state posts its budget performance reviews online which indicates transparency and accountability in governance. It is ironic that even with the enactment of freedom of information and fiscal responsibility acts, most State Governments still hide their budgets and breakdowns from the citizens of their states and the general public.[/size]

In the 2012 budget, there was an increase from the previous years’ budget of N450.8b to N491.9b (9%). The total revenue for 2012 is estimated at N399.8b and impressively, the ordinary revenue (Lagos IGR, other IGR, dedicated revenue, etc.) of the state is N289.7b which is about 73% of total revenue. This is more than double of the N110.2b that Lagos expects from the federation account in 2012. Lagos is therefore not one of the numerous “parastatal states” that cannot pay salaries unless the FAAC meets in Abuja! Compared to some other states whose budgets have grown astronomically with no commensurate growth in IGR, the budget of Lagos state has steadily increased alongside its IGR as shown by an 8% (N262.6b to N289.7b) increase in ordinary revenues between 2011 and 2012. So while the federal government preaches fiscal consolidation without practicing, it is Lagos State that is practicing it without all the noise!

Comparing both years’ budgets, there is a projected increase in ordinary revenue (IGR inclusive) by about N27b between 2011 and 2012. Taking the case study of Bauchi state whose budget was analyzed last week, it’s projected increase in IGR for this year was just N1b! Unlike the case of Bauchi state where the government spends money on maintaining many commissioners and 924 aides that it’s IGR cannot support, Lagos State Government has 23 commissioners and 20 Special Advisers, and yet is performing much better. In fact, looking at the revenue earning capacity of Lagos in comparison to many states of the federation is going from one extreme to another.

Capital expenditure for 2012 is N258.3b (53%) while recurrent expenditure is N233.6b (47%) of the total budget. Although the ratio does not meet the best practice of 70% for capital expenditure, it must be acknowledged that Lagos enjoys the dual advantages of limited geographic spread and legacy of inherited federal infrastructure, and therefore does not need as much greenfield infrastructural investments as other rural states. What it needs though is high levels of spending on maintenance and running costs. These are perhaps reflected in the higher recurrent portions of the budget.

[b]The government, in 2012 increased its recurrent expenditures on education from N28.4b in 2011 to N35.4b and justifiably too as there has been continuous increase in both volumes and pass rates of SSCE candidates from Lagos. The number of candidates who obtained five credits in WASCE including English and Mathematics has improved from a miserable 7.58% in 2007 to an impressive 21.11% in 2010.The 2010 National Literacy Survey also shows that Lagos has the highest literacy rate in any language. Increased allocation of funds to this sector is definitely a commendable step in the right direction.

The environmental sub-sector of Lagos state which receives about 6% of the overall budget allocation, recorded a huge leap from the N335m revenue generated in 2011 to projected N2b in 2012. This is one sector which the residents of Lagos have felt a visible difference. There was a slight increase in health allocation from N32.9b in 2011 to N33.3b in 2012. In spite of the increase, the health sector is expected to double its revenue from N393m to N655m. Works and Infrastructure received 18% (N88.1b) of the budget reflecting investments to address existing infrastructure deficits. The transportation sector however, dropped in projected revenue by about N400m whereas its budgetary allocation increased by about 11% for the same reason.[/b]

[b]The personnel cost budget for the entire Lagos State government for 2012 is about N81.6b. This is less than one third of its IGR and less than 5% of the federal governments (N1,600b) staff costs, yet many would say that Lagos runs better than Nigeria these days. Departments such as lands, environmental protection, works and infrastructure, transportation, and even the judiciary earn sufficient revenues to cover their personnel costs. In fact, the lands department earns enough to cover all its recurrent expenditures while the state’s Ordinary Revenue (N289.7b) can cover its total recurrent costs (N233.6b) with a surplus of N56.1b. That is how a federating unit’s finances should be!

In year 2011, Lagos State High Courts alone made revenues of about N700m and are expected to earn about N1.2b in 2012 which is higher than the IGR of most states of the federation now depending on the Federal Government for monthly handouts. The lesson and experience of Lagos is this – each MDA is a revenue as well as a cost centre. Each government department that offers services charges some fees to cover all or part of the cost of the service. That is how to run a department, state, or country! My admiration for the business-like way Lagos is run is clear by now.
[/b]

Lagos is only state in the country which can survive solely on its incomes from taxation. However according to the World Bank Doing Business rankings 2010, the state was ranked 25th out of 37 in Nigeria in terms of ease of doing business. Lagos is not an agrarian state, neither is it endowed with any mineral resources. It is therefore disturbing that despite the huge amount of private sector investment and potential, the business environment is far from friendly. The authorities need to create a thriving environment for businesses in Lagos especially since taxes and land charges are the major source of fiscal sustenance of the state.

All our states should learn lessons from Lagos not only in the areas of budget transparency but fiscal independence from Abuja, delivery of public services, investment in education and even governance succession. With these outlier qualities, it is not surprising that Lagos is run by a party other than the PDP of today!
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by 2Legit2Qui: 7:17am On Jan 16, 2013
LOL. Some people are exposing their plain stu.pidity. Maybe Fashola pays from his pocket. Or even begs money from his wife.

Excuse me, just a question. Are people saying state governors pay for food consumed in their official household from their pocket? I dont get it.
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by Ngwakwe: 7:21am On Jan 16, 2013
Two pages gone, yet no substantial meaningful contribution.

Any foreigner who is going through this thread has nothing to learn from Nigerians.

What a shame.
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by Nobody: 7:21am On Jan 16, 2013
emiye: @ Op, Before asking for feeding budget of LASG

(1)do you know the whereabout of your state Governor who was last seen over 4 months ago?

(2) Is he dead or alive? Recuperating or decaying?

(3) how much of Enugu's budget is used in treating your Governor on his sick bed in the foreign hospital , he is ?

Those 3 questions should bother you more, you reside in ENUGU STATE, and you are so concerned about Lagos state.

I can see Panic in this write-up...meanwhile u can open a thread for the above.For now we want to know how much Lagos state annual budget is for refreshment
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by Ngwakwe: 7:26am On Jan 16, 2013
Please Gbawe, forget about the motive of the poster, help this thread with your vast knowledge in Govt budgets
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by naptu2: 7:28am On Jan 16, 2013
Page 3. Evidence has been provided to show that there's no "food budget", yet not a shred of evidence has been provided to show that there's a 2013 food budget. All we have is "I think there's a food budget".
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by Nobody: 7:30am On Jan 16, 2013
thelastPope:

They do not have the ability to discuss intelligently. It is such a s shame that they are disgracing themselves on a public forum. Everyone is beginning to see them for who they are. They say a clear conscience fears no accusation. These ACN sycophants only prove they have a lot they are hiding. Every question is either answered with an insult to the poster, an insult to GEJ even when GEJ is not the topic, or some other form of distraction. Have you ever seen where someone answers a question with a jibe at someone else? Only from foools on NL!

My brother where do you think they learn this from...Alhaji LIE Lai Mohammed the ACN Pub.Sec, that is his way
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by GARRIx7(m): 7:31am On Jan 16, 2013
Gbawe:

Now you get it. Why does he and his co-travellers do it? Because they are all insecure, feudal and clannish individuals threatened by how everyone rates Fashola a far better candidate to be President than the empty barrel they support who currently occupies the position. It is report such as that below, from El Rufai, that ruins their day and makes them rush here to start ridiculous topics like this one. Don't forget that this same worthless OP started a topic about "searching for the achievements of Fashola". He ran away from the thread when I supplied pictorial proof of extensive drainage work being done in my Surulere area.

Lagos, contrary to what the usual suspects insinuate, runs a highly efficient and exemplarily transparent budget. The Lagos state model of budgeting is millions of miles ahead of that delevered by the higly profligate and clueless FG in terms of prudence, innovation, frugality and efficacy. It goes without saying that it is only those with time to waste who will engage OP and his ilk in a back-and-forth when it is clear their clannish mission here is to hold brief daily for an opportunistic glutton and mediocrity eating garishly, buying planes and leading cluelessly while they mischievously round against a Governors whose skills and talent is reflected in every aspect of governance.

http://www.africanoutlookonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4227:lagos-sound-government-sensible-budget&catid=126:nasir-el-rufai-page&Itemid=323

Nice article. Fashola's performance no doubt sends shivers down the spines of non-progressive elements...
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by dayokanu(m): 7:31am On Jan 16, 2013
Can anyone even show us evidence there was a food budget to begin with
Re: What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? by 2Legit2Qui: 7:31am On Jan 16, 2013
naptu2: Page 3. Evidence has been provided to show that there's no "food budget", yet not a shred of evidence has been provided to show that there's a 2013 food budget. All we have is "I think there's a food budget".

OK. A question for you. The food consumed in the official residence of the governor is paid for from which purse? Try to be intelligent in your answer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Sylvanus Giwa Slumps And Dies (Special Assistant To Governor Ishaku Of Taraba) / Osinbajo, Kachikwu, Baru Meet Inside Aso Rock / We’ll No Longer Recognise Results Obtained Under Duress – INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.