Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,616 members, 7,820,184 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Advice On First Car To Buy - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice On First Car To Buy (23064 Views)

Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. / Mercedes-Benz Unveils Self-Driving Car To Be On Sale By 2020 / Best Way To Ship A Car To Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by Omogbhollahorn(m): 11:42pm On Jan 17, 2013
buy a H2 lux 2009 model it good for a typical 9ja gurl.
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by tampa1871: 11:52pm On Jan 17, 2013
Flyboy Zee:

The Versa is Nissan's current entry-level model in the United States and Canada.[7] The Versa is marketed as a subcompact, competing against the Honda Fit, Hyundai Accent and Toyota Yaris.[8]

The North American Versa debuted at the 2006 North American International Auto Show in January of the same year. The hatchback model was introduced first, with the sedan arriving later at the end of the year, both as 2007 models. A 1.6-litre sedan replaced the 1.8 sedan in Canada for the 2009 model year, that year in the United States the 1.6 sedan was added to the lineup along the 1.8 sedan.

The Versa is powered by a 1.8 L I4 MR series engine producing 122 hp (91 kW) and 127 ft·lbf (170 N·m).[8] Three transmissions are offered: a four-speed automatic, a continuously variable transmission (CVT), and a six-speed manual. It is one of two cars in its class (in the North American market) to offer a six-speed manual transmission as standard equipment (next to the 2012 Hyundai Accent). Two trim levels include the S and SL—the SL offering air conditioning, power accessories and ABS, all of which are options on the S. The Versa SL also has features/options not available on the S such as cruise control (available on some S models), alloy wheels, optional CVT (the 4-speed automatic is only available for the Versa S but CVT is available on some S models), optional Bluetooth connectivity for electronic devices, and a sport package which adds a power moonroof, rear spoiler, and underside aero kit.

2010 models featured a redesigned grille and a new design for the 1.8S model's wheel covers. In North America, the sedan was replaced by its second generation starting the 2012 model year (hence, 2011 being its last). The fate of the hatchback was however extended for one more year, 2012 being its last. Production of both for that market stopped in mid-2011

Versa is rated by the Deapartment of Highway Safety as having the worst safety record, although it's fuel efficient but it's not durable and has low resale value. Iwould recommend the TOYOTA MATRIX, it has the same engine and platform as Corola, but also body style like the Golf since you like hatchback, durable, fuel efficient, low maintenance and you will enjoy the ride. GO FOR IT.
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by tigerleggs(m): 12:13am On Jan 18, 2013
Hello House, pls is anybody using Volkswagen Passat 2000? I need valuable information on this car.

Thanks.

Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by Nobody: 12:14am On Jan 18, 2013
Tested and Trusted.

3 Likes

Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by CHIMSKY(m): 12:39am On Jan 18, 2013
How much is the Honda Civic 2006-8 sef?
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by LCASHMAN(m): 2:01am On Jan 18, 2013
BUT ALL D CARS U MENTIONED ARE SEDANS
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by imperiouxx(m): 2:59am On Jan 18, 2013
Rhino.5dm:
Start with any brand of Toyota and avoid V-6.

Please what's the problem with V6? I'm a graduate student in US and planning to get a 2003-2007 Nissan Murano which is V6.
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by kpolli(m): 3:04am On Jan 18, 2013
imperiouxx:

Please what's the problem with V6? I'm a graduate student in US and planning to get a 2003-2007 Nissan Murano which is V6.

Tuale baba

Tuale
( cheesy
_ )
 \ , one leg up
‎​. ✽⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥·̵̭̌✽ YES BOSS

2 Likes

Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by imperiouxx(m): 3:39am On Jan 18, 2013
kpolli:

Tuale baba

Tuale
( cheesy
_ )
 \ , one leg up
‎​. ✽⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥·̵̭̌✽ YES BOSS

Ah! kpolli caught me here sha!
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by romityl: 5:54am On Jan 18, 2013
my dr 4get all do abv mensn cars nt as if der r nt good . Bt wht i wnt u to buy is a toyota pencil light 1999 model n 4get all diz big car dat r xpensiv...n to buy prts na wahala... Liv name n go for de camry am telng u abt...u wil njoy de car bigtym...
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by okechukwu3: 5:55am On Jan 18, 2013
Cool
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by toyinkin(m): 6:04am On Jan 18, 2013
Why not buy corolla, i think is nice nd sufficient 2 use.org we u go 4 range rover hse.
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by Taiwo20(m): 6:07am On Jan 18, 2013
tigerleggs: Hello House, pls is anybody using Volkswagen Passat 2000? I need valuable information on this car.

Thanks.

Its a very good car. Fuel efficient,beautiful interior, good air conditìoning system and availability of parts.

Like I always say the lifespan of a car depends on the user' maintenance culture.

1 Like

Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by Taiwo20(m): 6:15am On Jan 18, 2013
mafiawars: Hello Nairalanders

I basically need advice on a new first car to buy. Since iv been on the lookout, everyday I see something new on the road I like, so I decided to ask yall Nairaland experts.
Im a typical female who likes compact cars and has parking issues(lol), so apart from that, im looking at a fuel efficient car and one which is easy to maintain.

Options are:
Golf 4 (Although everyone says it has electrical issues and it will give me loads of trouble)
2004 Toyota Matrix
2002-2006 Honda Civic
2004 Toyota Corolla (hatchback)
Nissan Versa
2004 Ford Focus (hatchback)
Toyota Yaris (hatchback)

Im open to more suggestions, but no sedans pls.

Thanks

Toyota cars last a lifetime and comes with little or no problem. My church mind advice would be to go for Toyota Matrix.

Why?

Availability of Parts
Durability
Easy to Maintain
Not too expensive
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by Inova(m): 6:36am On Jan 18, 2013
Gurl friend. Avoid Honda like a plague. Aside the aesthetic features and fuel economy, but check out this Honda Problems first before you consider:
1) No one said how bad honda makes ball joints on the wheels. If u don't maintain ur hondas wheels very well they might just pop out while drive embarassing the heck out of you. I'm sure u have seen a couple of Hondas with the wheels giving way on the road.
2) Honda Power steering are fantastic. Actually the best I've seen so far. But as fantastic as they are, they are very easily damaged. Power steering will be one of ur major probs
3) Honda transmission for anyone buying Auto are the worst I've seen. Couple with the fact that their replacement are also expensive as its and aluminium transmision block. Don't expect ur transmision to last. If you wanna buy honda just go for its manual transmision version to avoid embarasment.
4) Overheating is not much of a problem as it can happen to any car actually but I just don't undrstand the perculiarity with Honda

Aside all this points Honda is ok if you are ready to stomach all those issues higlighted. And trust me gurlfriend I speak the truth.

But If you want my advise. Just go for a TOYOTA product and you'll neva regret it. Most of my friend and in particular me sef switched to Toyota after enduring with Honda products

I hope this helps

1 Like

Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by sixtusjr(m): 6:56am On Jan 18, 2013
Any Toyota, d gat good products. Thank me later.
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by DaWhiz: 7:02am On Jan 18, 2013
The Toyota (either the Yaris or the Corolla) - tho for those reasons of yours, the Yaris suits u better. You can NEVER go wrong with a Toyota. Fuel Economy, easy maintainability and compact for a lady. wink

1 Like

Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by Nobody: 7:08am On Jan 18, 2013
Buy Honda crosstour. Hatchback with Good fuel economy on a V6 engine.
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by dickhardener: 7:26am On Jan 18, 2013
P.U.S.H:
Buy Honda crosstour. Hatchback with Good fuel economy on a V6 engine.
thay's one heck of an ugly suv
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by tempex88(m): 7:37am On Jan 18, 2013
2004 Toyota Matrix
2004 Toyota Corolla (hatchback)
Toyota Yaris (hatchback)

dats my list

1 Like

Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by Nobody: 8:03am On Jan 18, 2013
A toyota corolla is simply what you need. the cost may be high but its worth it considering fuel economy, durability, low cost of maintenance, easily available mechanic and parts.
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by Simplesoul05(m): 8:28am On Jan 18, 2013
House how abt this car? What can u say to it as a first car?

www.nairaland.com/1009763/suzuki-98-99-tokunbo-car

Does any1 has experience of d car?
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by 1800bc(f): 8:45am On Jan 18, 2013
Get a Jaguar S-type 4.0...very fuel efficient and the AC na die! U dont even need to open the engine to check anything for a year.... All these toyota hype is overrated... I had only fuel pump issue with a 98 camry dat almost cost me 70k to fix as we kept changing fuel pump when the culprit was a blocked ''indomie'' ..dats wat the mechanics called it. My friend also had issues wit his camry fuel pump and the lingering exhaust pipe makes u become the panel beater's favorite anytime u pass a bad road.
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by muyeindaclub(m): 8:51am On Jan 18, 2013
[quote author=Krucifax]If you like compact cars,i'd advise you go for a Coupe or Hatchback.I won't suggest a car but highlight some factors that might aid you in reaching the conclusion. Firstly if you have problems with parking i suggest you buy an Automatic or Tiptronic instead of Manual.
Things to consider are these:

1.Your taste.
2.Your budget.
3.Availability of mechanical parts.
4.Resale value.
5.Warranty length.
6.Durability.
7.Engine size(Very important for insurance)As a lady i advise don't go beyond 2.0 litres
8.Miles to the gallon(Very important if you don't want to go broke quickly)
9.Cost of insurance.
10.Cost of service.
11.Previous Car history if you are buying pre-owned(Write off,major crashes,etc)This affects insurance,usability,life span,and your general enjoyment of it

End of Discussion
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by Joe980: 9:17am On Jan 18, 2013
Impe baba...please stay away from murano. Reviews aint smiling..
imperiouxx:

Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by tigerleggs(m): 10:34am On Jan 18, 2013
Taiwo20:

Its a very good car. Fuel efficient,beautiful interior, good air conditìoning system and availability of parts.

Like I always say the lifespan of a car depends on the user' maintenance culture.
Thanks Bro
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by BestmanNnamdi(m): 10:39am On Jan 18, 2013
xtremeidea:

also consider the value of the car incase u wanna resell
check numba 4

1 Like

Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by ayojosh2k(m): 10:43am On Jan 18, 2013
el bin manny: Take my word and get yourself a mercedes benz c class! The car is superb, very low fuel consumption, high speed, the balance is perfect, the interior is like heaven ! Maintenance affordable and it will definitely get u some winks! I'm using a C 230 no issues wat so ever!!!! Take my word and go for it! The parts are everywhere.cheesycheesycheesycheesy

Everywhere? List 5 places.

Standing By...
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by hotberry(f): 10:47am On Jan 18, 2013
toyota any day anytime is my car,fuel consumption good fuel tanx family friendly,any toyata for a first car wouldn,t b a wrong choice.
Re: Advice On First Car To Buy by ayojosh2k(m): 10:48am On Jan 18, 2013
tigerleggs: Hello House, pls is anybody using Volkswagen Passat 2000? I need valuable information on this car.

Thanks.

Dear Friend,

DO NOT TOUCH!!!

I owned one, i bought it 1.4M and had to beg someone to buy it for 250k. This is real life story, it all happend in Lagos, I am always at Itire every weekend, The car gives any kind of problem that you can imagine, Overheating, Powerstering Problem, Break Problem, Gear Problem e.t.c The car almost killed me, all my earnings + savings, almost even crashed my Marriage.

The Final Advice, If you are not buying any VW product BRAND NEW, DO NOT BUY..

I really hope you will listen...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FRSC's Offences & Penalties List / Photos : Accident At Ijesha, Lagos / Introducing The 2017 Lamborghini Terzo Millennio (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.