Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,038 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? (14722 Views)

Dear Parents, in whose care have you left your child? Pics! / Can A Family Man With 300k Salary And 3 Children Can He Live Comfortably? / Right Handedness VS Left Handedness. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by jimjones: 12:08pm On Apr 03, 2013
PrettyCindy: Hello everyone, people around me have been saying that my 1 year old son is a 'lefty'. Though i have keenly observed that he does practically everything from picking up objects to waving goodbye with his left hand.

I don't believe he is a 'lefty' because i feel its because he sees me and others use our right hand alot which to him may be left when he is facing opposite me or anyone.
Besides no one uses left hand in my family and am certain its same in his birth father too so i keep wondering where he got it from.

I do not like it and want to correct and stop it.

Someone said that it cannot be corrected because he was born that way. I totally disagree.

If anyone of you has experienced such in your kid and was able to correct it, how did you do it?

i'm reading this, and i still can't believe what the fark i'm seeing. how does god create a woman as mighty stoop!d as this one, and then take it a step further and bless her with a child? something's terribly wrong here, walai.

2 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by maasoap(m): 12:34pm On Apr 03, 2013
It only becomes problem if he is using it to eat or take things to his mouth. It will surely become a stigma in later life because he won't be able to eat outside home and he won't be able to eat with or among his colleagues. I had a roommate that uses left hand to eat and he just stopped going to restaurants because people used stare at him whenever he was eating. Then another kid in my area is facing the same problem because his elder brothers are refusing to eat wt him because he also uses left to eat.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by RedRiver(m): 12:35pm On Apr 03, 2013
@poster, please kill the child and ask God for another.

Better thank God for giving you a child and go look for proper problems to solve

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by omonnakoda: 12:38pm On Apr 03, 2013
MuyiGL:

You're wrong. It is genetic. my father was born lefty but was forced to change by his mother. I too to, his son, was born lefty. By this time my father knew better not to change me. i will not be surprised if any of my children will be born lefty. I will embrace it. Stop spreading false information. Left-handedness is genetic right from the bible times. Read about the Benjamites
It is NOT genetic do not say what you don't know. If it were genetic then ALL identical twins would have the same handednes.They are after all genetic copies of each other. But this is not the case

The "logic" you use makes no sense either. Do you know what a gene is at all?
The fact that a father has a trait and the son has it does not PROVE it is genetic. So Femi Kuti's musicalily is genetic?

Bill Clinton,Fashola and Obama are ALL left handed can we conclude it has anything to do with their being lawyers? We should avoid spurious logic.
The other curious thing is many right handed foot ballers are left footed or vice versa though again this is not necessarily so.
Jarus said Eating with the left hand is against his religion. I wonder what religion that is. In general nothing causes more neurosis or psychological problems for children than trying to use them to realise our failed dreams or shaping them in some fantasy image.I even recommend to adults who are right handed to try learning to write with the left. It is an amazing mental exercise which can "open" the brain in incredible ways ; concentration.inspiration self awareness etc. Try it for one month. Buy A note book .10 minutes a day writing alphabets and numbers last thing at night and come back t this thread to give your tithe testimony

Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, and Benjamin Franklin were all left handed
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by agohavivi(f): 12:40pm On Apr 03, 2013
Don't try correcting it. there's nothing wrong with him being left handed. A number of lefthanded kids I know are very brilliant and I hope your son belongs to that category. If you try correcting it, your sons development may be slowed down this was exactly the case with my friend. She tried it and her daughter's performance at school dwindled so much she almost repeated a class. You don't force such things down a childs throat. Don't look for problems where they don't exist.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by maasoap(m): 12:41pm On Apr 03, 2013
jim jones:
i'm reading this, and i still can't believe what the fark i'm seeing. how does god create a woman as mighty stoop!d as this one, and then take it a step further and bless her with a child? something's terribly wrong here, walai.
What has this got to do with being a woman? Must you comment? You think she is only parent in the world that is concerned about the child using left hand? Google is your friend, there you will a lot of concerned parents asking same question.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by agohavivi(f): 12:44pm On Apr 03, 2013
Don't try correcting it. There's nothing wrong with him being left handed. A number of lefthanded kids I know are very brilliant and I hope your son belongs to that category. If you try correcting it, your sons development may be slowed down especially in his acaedemics. This was exactly the case with my friend. She tried correcting her left-handed daughter, the result was that the child's performance in school dwindled so much that she almost repeated a class. You don't force such things down a child's throat. Don't look for problems where they don't exist.

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by tayoccu(m): 12:50pm On Apr 03, 2013
Ebestsms.com:
Am shocked with the replies posted here.

I will NEVER allow any of my children to use left hand, you can compare left hand with right, right is always stronger than left according to those.

Mehn I will NEVER allow such, things normally fall from lefty dudes hands.

I dislike lefty with passion, in fact I don't employ a lefty in my office.

NO! NO!! NO!!!

Ogini na ahio......

Abeg which museum did this cave man escape from?

mutaalim: Yes of course, you can correct it. It is a must you correct
We are not meant to be using left hand
Regards

Abeg stop spewing hogwash.

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by maasoap(m): 12:51pm On Apr 03, 2013
@omonnakoda, jarus was talking about Islam. Islam being a religion through which Allah has perfected everything for us. It so simple and it also make sense the reason why Islam forbid us from using left hand to eat (except you don't have right hand). You just need to use your common sense if it is still there and it has not been beclouded.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by omonnakoda: 12:55pm On Apr 03, 2013
maasoap: @omonnakoda, jarus was talking about Islam. Islam being a religion through which Allah has perfected everything for us. It so simple and it also make sense the reason why Islam forbid us from using left hand to eat (except you don't have right hand). You just need to use your common sense if it is still there and it has not been beclouded.
Which sura in the Quran tells you this
No long story just the Sura,please?
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by megastu(m): 12:56pm On Apr 03, 2013
I am even trying to teach my kids to write with left hand. The left side of the brain is the most developed.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by jimjones: 12:59pm On Apr 03, 2013
maasoap: What has this got to do with being a woman? Must you comment? You think she is only parent in the world that is concerned about the child using left hand? Google is your friend, there you will a lot of concerned parents asking same question.

see this deadhead o... the op happens to be a woman. if that was a man, i'd rightly refer to him as a man. but you're too much of an !mbec!le to get that. you illiterate person... try to read, understand, then respond APPROPRIATELY.

ps: the op and ALL other parents of the world concerned about their children's left-handedness are industrial strength !mbec!les, and do not deserve to be parents.

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by omonnakoda: 1:03pm On Apr 03, 2013
Famous Left-Handers
Tom Cruise Leonardo da Vinci Albert Einstein
Benjamin Franklin Whoopi Goldberg Cary Grant
Paul McCartney Michelangelo Martina Navratilova
Julia Roberts Oprah Winfrey Babe Ruth
Fidel Castro Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin Lord Baden-Powell
Henry Ford Helen Keller Jay Leno
Bart Simpson Dan Ackroyd Tim Allen
Charlie Chaplin Robert DeNiro Marilyn Monroe
Jerry Seinfeld Lewis Carroll Mark Twain
H.G. Wells Celine Dion Jimi Hendrix
Paul Simon Oliver North Yogi Berra
“Shoeless” Joe Jackson Steve Young Larry Bird
Alexander the Great Julius Caesar Marie Curie
Thomas Jefferson Colin Powell Gandhi
Charlemagne Horatio Nelson Ramses II
Billy the Kid (debated) John Dillinger Bob Dylan
David Letterman Mozart Prokofiev
Rachmaninoff Beethoven Ravel
Schumann Paganini Goethe
Aristotle Nietzsche Kafka
Hans Christian Anderson Fred Astaire Richard Simmons
Greta Garbo Judy Garland Drew Barrymore
Sylvester Stallone Dick Van Dyke Robert Redford
Brad Pitt Angelina Jolie John McEnroe
O.J. Simpson Dorothy Hamill Henry Ford
Bill Gates John D Rockefeller Albert Schweitzer

Rafael Nadal
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by jimjones: 1:07pm On Apr 03, 2013
megastu: I am even trying to teach my kids to write with left hand. The left side of the brain is the most developed.

actually, the left hemisphere of the brain doesn't coordinate activities on the left side, it does the opposite. albeit, it's a good thing to train your kids to use their left hands as well. i hear i was born left-handed, but i'm ambidextrous today smiley
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by LordReed(m): 1:07pm On Apr 03, 2013
maasoap: It only becomes problem if he is using it to eat or take things to his mouth. It will surely become a stigma in later life because he won't be able to eat outside home and he won't be able to eat with or among his colleagues. I had a roommate that uses left hand to eat and he just stopped going to restaurants because people used stare at him whenever he was eating. Then another kid in my area is facing the same problem because his elder brothers are refusing to eat wt him because he also uses left to eat.

What village are you guys living in? Like seriously you spite left handed people? You are worse than Boko-Haram then.

3 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Apr 03, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by adctrl: 1:32pm On Apr 03, 2013
maasoap: It only becomes problem if he is using it to eat or take things to his mouth. It will surely become a stigma in later life because he won't be able to eat outside home and he won't be able to eat with or among his colleagues. I had a roommate that uses left hand to eat and he just stopped going to restaurants because people used stare at him whenever he was eating. Then another kid in my area is facing the same problem because his elder brothers are refusing to eat wt him because he also uses left to eat.

Hello, what you are saying here will probably only apply in Nigeria. I use both hands but primarily a lefty and I used my left outside in restaurants to do things mostly including using a fork to eat and picking chips etc with it!

Few of American presidents and even British PMs were lefty.......make God save Nigeria from this type of backwardness!!!

I reckon all those thinking their left is inferior to the right hand should ask for it to be amputated and tell us how far. God Almighty has given us the 2 on equal basis

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by 7508: 1:40pm On Apr 03, 2013
op,

Abeg let the child be. Your Kid will love you for it.

The way a typical southpaw processes information means that half the work is done when it comes to intelligence as they view the world differently.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by vislabraye(m): 1:50pm On Apr 03, 2013
jim jones:

actually, the left hemisphere of the brain doesn't coordinate activities on the left side, it does the opposite. albeit, it's a good thing to train your kids to use their left hands as well. i hear i was born left-handed, but i'm ambidextrous today smiley

I'm also ambidexterous. I use my right hand to write but use my left hand to wipe my assss. cheesy.

On a more serious note, I don't know why many Africans are superstitious. Why major on the minor, and minor on the major. Is there anything intrinsically wrong with left-handedness. Abi is it a different God that created them?
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by maasoap(m): 2:07pm On Apr 03, 2013
jim jones:
see this deadhead o... the op happens to be a woman. if that was a man, i'd rightly refer to him as a man. but you're too much of an !mbec!le to get that. you illiterate person... try to read, understand, then respond APPROPRIATELY.
ps: the op and ALL other parents of the world concerned about their children's left-handedness are industrial strength !mbec!les, and do not deserve to be parents.
I can see the way you see everybody as imbec!les that must include ur parents
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by obi2012: 2:13pm On Apr 03, 2013
come let me slap you with my left hand and you'll see how strong it is..

cant believe this height of ignorance goes on in the 21st century..

there is nothing wrong being left handed.. i am left handed and have been for 31 years and uncles/aunties and everyone have tried to correct me when my parents weren't around. No luck.

Glad i am left handed.. I do pretty well in everything i do.. Left handers think with the right side of their brain, right handers think with the left side of their brain. Its not a defect.. Its nature

Ebestsms.com:
Am shocked with the replies posted here.

I will NEVER allow any of my children to use left hand, you can compare left hand with right, right is always stronger than left according to those.

Mehn I will NEVER allow such, things normally fall from lefty dudes hands.

I dislike lefty with passion, in fact I don't employ a lefty in my office.

NO! NO!! NO!!!

Ogini na ahio......

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by maasoap(m): 2:14pm On Apr 03, 2013
Lord_Reed:
What village are you guys living in? Like seriously you spite left handed people? You are worse than Boko-Haram then.
Is this what you called spite? I was telling you what I witnessed while I was at FUTA and what I'm witnessing right now concerning the kid. How does narrating what you witnesed become spite? If you have opportunity to prevent your kids from eating wt left hands, do it now before it becomes social stigma. Do you also eat using left hand? Blame ur parents.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by omonnakoda: 2:16pm On Apr 03, 2013
vislabraye:

I'm also ambidexterous. I use my right hand to write but use my left hand to wipe my assss. cheesy.

On a more serious note, I don't know why many Africans are superstitious. Why major on the minor, and minor on the major. Is there anything intrinsically wrong with left-handedness. Abi is it a different God that created them?
It is not just Africans though.Do a little research smiley
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by maasoap(m): 2:21pm On Apr 03, 2013
[quote author=adctrl]
Hello, what you are saying here will probably only apply in Nigeria. I use both hands but primarily a lefty and I used my left outside in restaurants to do things mostly including using a fork to eat and picking chips etc with it!
I live in Nigeria and what I witnessed was limited to Nig environment. Eating "eba", yam flour &pounded yam using bare left hand in d public in Naija attracts people's attention because it seems odd to them. Whatever USA do that we don't do is backwardness.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by LordReed(m): 2:28pm On Apr 03, 2013
maasoap: Is this what you called spite? I was telling you what I witnessed while I was at FUTA and what I'm witnessing right now concerning the kid. How does narrating what you witnesed become spite? If you have opportunity to prevent your kids from eating wt hands, do it now before it becomes social stigma. Do you also eat using left hand? Blame ur parents.

Social stigma my foot! As I said your neck of the woods must still be a "village"; people here are too busy living their lives to be concerned with what hand the fellow at the next table is eating with. I have a left handed sister, I have never bothered with what hand she eats with and she is a well adjusted individual busy with work in a prestigious law firm so your false notions of "social stigma" is a fallacy of a high order.

2 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by atuagbo: 2:42pm On Apr 03, 2013
MY SON IS A LEFTY, A YEAR AND 2MONTHS. HIS LEVEL OF INTELLIENT AND CREATIVITY IS AMAZING. I ENVY HIM.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by jimjones: 2:58pm On Apr 03, 2013
maasoap: I can see the way you see everybody as imbec!les that must include ur parents

i'll break it down for you, you illiterate piece of shoite... if ya papa and/or ya mama, and every other papa and/or mama for dis wa world dey worry diasef becos dem pikin dey use lef hand, then, ya papa and/or mama and all such papa and/or mama dem be imbeh! now, as ya papa and/or ya mama dey for dis katigori, e nor sorprize me say you sef ton out to be imbeh.

wetin dis mean on the flip side be say: ma papa and mama, and every other papa and/or mama wey get beta tings to konsain demselves with, other than the hand wey dia shidrens dey use chop, write, or clean nyansh, nor be imbeh. dem head korrekt well well...and wen dia shidrens sef com bon shidrens, dem nor go worry wish hand dem shidrens go dey use. for dis reason, my parents nor be imbeh, while you and yours dem be proper imbeh. e clear you now?

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by stevebond007(m): 2:58pm On Apr 03, 2013
@Pretty

Pls dnt try to correct it. Dt u dnt like it doesn't mean ur kid shud nt. Dnt try to. It cud lead to Brain disorder nd make ur kid unstable. Chk it on google. Dnt darE
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by maasoap(m): 3:02pm On Apr 03, 2013
[quote author=Lord_Reed]
Social stigma my foot! As I said your neck of the woods must still be a "village"; people here are too busy living their lives to be concerned with what hand the fellow at the next table is eating with. I have a left handed sister, I have never bothered with what hand she eats with and she is a well adjusted individual busy with work in a prestigious law firm
This is Nairaland, who cares what you call yourself or where you claim you work. Here in Nigeria, it's odd to people.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by trappatoni(m): 3:09pm On Apr 03, 2013
it has to do with the cerebral hemisphere.if the right lobe of the hemisphere is stronger then the child will probably be left handed,usually the left hemisphere is stronger so most people are right handed.i'm left handed and honestly i dont give a mess what anybody thinks about me.a certain religion is against it with the notion that the devil eats with the left hand.i wonder the kind of food he eats

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by trappatoni(m): 3:11pm On Apr 03, 2013
it has to do with the cerebral hemisphere.if the right lobe of the hemisphere is stronger then the child will probably be left handed,usually the left hemisphere is stronger so most people are right handed.i'm left handed and honestly i dont give a mess what anybody thinks about me.a certain religion is against it with the notion that the devil eats with the left hand.i wonder what kind of food he eats
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by ddeola: 3:13pm On Apr 03, 2013
Being left-handed is a special ability and there's nothing wrong with it. Watch it, that child is a star and not a commoner

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Marriages Don’t Work: The Change Factor / What Is A Living Wage For A Family Of 4 In Lagos / How Long Do You Think Courtship Should Take?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.