Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? (10496 Views)

What Has Buhari's Administration Achieved This Year? / Good Governace In Edo Vs Delta States / What Has Nigeria Achieved So Far? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Afam4eva(m): 9:37am On Jan 19, 2013
One state that has been on the receiving end on Nairaland is Lagos and we all know it's because it's Nigeria most populous and important state and a lot of Nairalanders live there. I think it's time we started spreading our review of other states in the country especially Niger Delta states.

The states in the Niger Delta collect the largest allocation from the FG and the amount is wayy more than what non-ND states collect. The Niger Delta also have a ministry devoted to it's affairs. They also have a government parastatal(NDDC) devoted to developing the region where majority of Nigeri'a wealth comes from.

Even though Niger Deltans have cried that they need more from their resources through more derivation or resource control, but personally i think what they're presently been given is a whole lot and they should be able to account for it.

Now i ask, what have the Niger Delta states done with the gargantuan allocation that they get monthly. Is there any notable thing that these states have done to justify the huge allocation?

2 Likes

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by GARRIx7(m): 9:54am On Jan 19, 2013
Goodluck Agbaya Jonathan in collaboration with the Governors of the Niger-Delta states have been in the fore-front of impoverishing the people of this oil-rich region.

The visionless leadership of the Niger-Delta governors and leaders both at state and federal level has been the bane of the development of the region.

3 Likes

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by FreeGlobe(f): 10:10am On Jan 19, 2013
GARRI (x7):
Goodluck Agbaya Jonathan in collaboration with the Governors of the Niger-Delta states have been in the fore-front of impoverishing the people of this oil-rich region.

The visionless leadership of the Niger-Delta governors and leaders both at state and federal level has been the bane of the development of the region.
I thought you are Niger Deltan or is Delta state not Niger Delta again. You are a fraud.

@topic
I believe the monies are shared in one way or the other with the people with the politicians pocketing the lion share.I used to stay in PH and there almost everybody depends on funds coming from govt house in form or the other especially during odili's time! Ikwerre people are particularly lazy and only interested in sharing money and exchanging lands.

3 Likes

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Nobody: 10:27am On Jan 19, 2013
Only few niger delta states are making good use of the huge allocation. However not all niger delta states receive the 'huge' allocation. Imo and abia state allocations are no where near those of akwa ibom, rivers and delta states.

Based on my personal observations,akwa ibom,rivers,ondo and to some extent edo state are doing relatively great with their allocations. Abia and delta are the worst-case scenarios.

1 Like

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by GARRIx7(m): 11:35am On Jan 19, 2013
FreeGlobe:
I thought you are Niger Deltan or is Delta state not Niger Delta again. You are a fraud.

Keep ur childish rants to yourself and stop exhibiting ur ignorance!!
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by superbloke(m): 11:55am On Jan 19, 2013
If this thread was about lagos, it would have reached the 3rd page by now. At least i'm glad afam has decided to shift attention to other places. I believe the major problem with the Niger Delta states is lack of visionary leadership. Akpabio has shown that with such, the states can really thrive. Until the people of this region demand quality and responsible leadership from their leaders rather than blame the FG and other regions for their woes all the time, i'm afraid not much will change.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by GARRIx7(m): 12:10pm On Jan 19, 2013
The worst managed states in the Niger-Delta region are Delta, Bayelsa and Abia...

Its sad to note as well that Goodluck Jonathan is a part and parcel of the rot and mismanagement of resources in the region...

If Goodluck Jonathan has failed to develop develop his state and ensure that capable hands are at the helm of affairs one isn't left in doubt as to why the PDP-led Federal Government hasn't ceased to disappoint Nigerians...
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jan 19, 2013
Don't even let us start with these states. They are classic examples of bad governance

2 Likes

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jan 19, 2013
Is lagos the most important state in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 19, 2013
Huge number of political appointees with so little on offer, in terms of resultant outcome cheesy grin cheesy

Bayelsa - 163, with 9 for media affairs alone -- https://www.nairaland.com/1111528/list-bayelsa-state-political-appointees

Delta - 104, mostly consisting of advisers for special duties -- https://www.nairaland.com/1111528/list-bayelsa-state-political-appointees

Abia - 457 appointees, with senior special advisers numbering 397 -- https://www.nairaland.com/590528/abia-orji-appoints-457-new
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by OmolodMilkman93(m): 12:56pm On Jan 19, 2013
Delta state - The finger of God at work,..... Abandoned road project AKA "death traps" eg- Asaba-Ughelli dual carriage road
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by izuch(m): 1:00pm On Jan 19, 2013
Ask google. Google like the police is your friend.:-) :-) smiley
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Daewoods(m): 1:06pm On Jan 19, 2013
See Question Oohhh angry angry
U no no where govt house dey, go ask their guv'nor

1 Like

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by GAR3TH(m): 1:08pm On Jan 19, 2013
Oil Producing states =/= Niger Delta states. There are only 3 states in the Niger delta, which is different from the 6 states that are in the south-south zone, which is different from Oil producing states. Niger delta only consist of Delta, Bayelsa & Rivers.

@OP As far as I know, the oil producing states that I think are making achievement are Cross-rivers, Edo & Akwa-Ibom. Rivers can be on the list but I'm still skeptical.

1 Like

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Afam4eva(m): 1:09pm On Jan 19, 2013
GAR3TH: Oil Producing states =/= Niger Delta states. There are only 3 states in the Niger delta, which is different from the 6 states that are in the south-south zone, which is different from Oil producing states. Niger delta only consist of Delta, Bayelsa & Rivers.

@OP As far as I know, the oil producing states that I think are making achievement are Cross-rivers, Edo & Akwa-Ibom. Rivers can be on the list but I'm still skeptical.
Why do we Nigerians just like unecessary arguments. Are these the only states that are listed as ND states?
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by confusion247(m): 1:15pm On Jan 19, 2013
They will always ask for more
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by slimfit1(m): 1:23pm On Jan 19, 2013
GARRI (x7):

I think the president knows what he is doing. He is empowering is people so that when we separate next year his people will have enough money to survive that guy is very smart. Don't think he is very dumb he isn't.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by OmerianConsult: 1:25pm On Jan 19, 2013
Good question! What with their agitation which attracted global attention and d creation of a NDDC as well as an entire federal ministry for them. They have officially got trillions of Naira from d FG aside royalty from oil firms.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by free13: 1:27pm On Jan 19, 2013
FreeGlobe:

A fraud.
grin gringrin grin grin
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by slimfit1(m): 1:27pm On Jan 19, 2013
superbloke: If this thread was about lagos, it would have reached the 3rd page by now. At least i'm glad afam has decided to shift attention to other places. I believe the major problem with the Niger Delta states is lack of visionary leadership. Akpabio has shown that with such, the states can really thrive. Until the people of this region demand quality and responsible leadership from their leaders rather than blame the FG and other regions for their woes all the time, i'm afraid not much will change.

Akpabio needs to move to the area of job creation that is very necessary so that the population of Lagos can reduce.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by odumchi: 1:28pm On Jan 19, 2013
GAR3TH: Oil Producing states =/= Niger Delta states. There are only 3 states in the Niger delta, which is different from the 6 states that are in the south-south zone, which is different from Oil producing states. Niger delta only consist of Delta, Bayelsa & Rivers.

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by GAR3TH(m): 1:29pm On Jan 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
Why do we Nigerians just like unecessary arguments. Are these the only states that are listed as ND states?

What unnecessary argument? Many Nigerians dont know what the term "Niger Delta" is. When some one says Niger Delta some Nigerians think about the geographic ND while others think about the south-south, and some use ND to mean oil producing states. I am just clarifying the confusion. The only states in the geographical Niger delta are Rivers, bayelsa and part of delta.

1 Like

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by DICKtator: 1:30pm On Jan 19, 2013
FreeGlobe:

@topic
I believe the monies are shared in one way or the other with the people with the politicians pocketing the lion share.I used to stay in PH and there almost everybody depends on funds coming from govt house in form or the other especially during odili's time! Ikwerre people are particularly lazy and only interested in sharing money and exchanging lands.

Dude, he is only been objective and setting sentiments aside!!. Apparently, you find this very hard to simmer down!!!!
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by OmerianConsult: 1:31pm On Jan 19, 2013
J12: Is lagos the most important state in Nigeria?
Yes. Lagos is more important than d rest of Nigeria combined for several good reasons.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Kcxee(m): 1:31pm On Jan 19, 2013
Something special
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Afam4eva(m): 1:32pm On Jan 19, 2013
GAR3TH:

What unnecessary argument? Many Nigerians dont know what the term "Niger Delta" is. When some one says Niger Delta some Nigerians think about the geographic ND while others think about the south-south, and some use ND to mean oil producing states. I am just clarifying the confusion. The only states in the geographical Niger delta are Rivers, bayelsa and part of delta.
In this case we're referring to the oil producing Niger Delta and i think Nigerians know that much. I agree though that some Nigerian mistake the oil producing ND to the SS.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Kcxee(m): 1:33pm On Jan 19, 2013
First time on first page *no insults if u like waste ur mb am nt following this topic
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by lacasa: 1:34pm On Jan 19, 2013
Hммм°! Let me think,..

Answer is : NOTHING sad
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by maasoap(m): 1:34pm On Jan 19, 2013
Niger Delta state governors are the most useless and corrupt governors in Nigeria. And the Niger Delta people, there is no demanding for accountability in their dictionaries.

1 Like

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by HAH: 1:35pm On Jan 19, 2013
The south south states of Nigeria receive more than have of the money generated by Nigeria through Monthly allocation, 13% derivation,NDDC,amnesty, Niger delta ministry, and most ministries concentrate their work in that region out of sychopancy.

What single state alone get is more than what comes to the entire north east but check state like bayelsa that is no more than a local government in Gombe.

The Niger deltans need good and strong leaders in future that will not just perform but also prosecute and collect back all the stolen money from the past governors.

Just recently the governor of rivers call the niger delta minister a failure is a testimony.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Hardfact: 1:36pm On Jan 19, 2013
Among many other factors, I think our national symbol is it. Afam4eva, u better not ask you know it. C'mon, you know na, our national symbol, our beloved Corruption, one major achievement our leaders, politicians, governors, LG chairmen, . . . are lifting to higher heights!
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by odumchi: 1:36pm On Jan 19, 2013
In my opinion, over the past few years, Akwa Ibom and Imo have been doing quite well in terms of infrastructural development. Thanks to the doggedness of its leader(s), Akwa Ibom now boasts one of the most-efficient road networks in the country. Okorocha has also made many much-needed reforms to Imo's educational system.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NNPC: $25bn Secret Oil Deals And Buhari’s Dissonant Lying Game - Ifeanyi Izeze / Governor Udom Emmanuel At The Armed Forces Remembrance Day In Uyo / Saraki, Dogara’s ‘coup’ Won’t Happen Again – Presidency Boasts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.