Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,205 members, 7,953,760 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:17 AM

Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun (25054 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by VillageBoi(m): 12:02pm On Feb 01, 2013
stillwater: @Villageboy
Our older actors are far better than the current crop of actors, however I don't think this is more of a 'talent' issue. According to the book, Onyeka Onwenu's role is more significant to the story. It wouldn't make sense to edit her parts. Genevieve's role IMO can be done without and you can still make sense out of the story. This is hollywood and you have to edit it within a time frame. A lot of people had concerns about how insignificant her role was when it was announced she was being played as Miss Adebayo. I guess people's concerns finally came true. lipsrsealed
Can't wait for Omar to descend on this thread. grin

Oh absolutely; very well said Stillwater. The problem with Genny, note this is grapvine news, is she by-force wanted to be in the film. I hear her PA fought for it and sge AGREED to the insignificant role. Also note that prior to this her main concern, seemingly, had been the pursuit of celebrity status. I also agree with OracleFemi; the bulk of our 'actors' have not yet been pushed to develop their skills.

I know we can sit here and blame the actors but that wouldn't be entirely right. Nollywood does not look far ahead and is not in the gear to bring out 'greatness' - it does not invest the 'TIME'.
I did meet Genny and we had a really good conversation about film. All they really need, be it the old crop or the new breed of actors, is new 'direction'. I too want to take our 'regular' filmmaking to a whole new level.

Again @ Stillwater you are right - it isn't a 'talent' issue - they are ALL talented but the productions and direction are lacking. And @ OracleFemi despite the fact that theatre acting is extremely awful on-screen it is actually a pretty good idea to 'raid' the universities for theatre arts students -

A) They have studied the art of acting.
B) They would be hungry to work.
C) Celebrity status is a non-issue for them @ the moment.
D) Fresh students still want to save/heal the planet lol - well they do here.
E) They will take direction very well, they wouldn't dare be 'divas'.

Oh well, why not... na me open thread so make I extend invitation to una to carry this start of weekend watch a couple of short films wey my hand dey inside. Yeah, it's cheeky of me but make una enjoy.

'Sweet Sixteen' - https://www.nairaland.com/866173/new-short-film
'Une Clope' - https://www.nairaland.com/1105305/une-clope-short-film-nsfw

@ OracleFemi, you might like this thread on threatre acting. Please do feel free to contribute to the conversation there. I liked your above post many more people like you with a vision are needed - https://www.nairaland.com/1173052/on-stage-versus-on-screen-acting
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by VillageBoi(m): 12:06pm On Feb 01, 2013
omar22:
What do you expect, thats why its called editing.... weed out the weed

Yup, that's exactly what it is. I opened the thread and threw in the question to get people talking/debating... any knowing NL cursing & swearing as well lol.

PS. I forgot to add and Praying & Fasting to... grin
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by omar22(m): 12:26pm On Feb 01, 2013
The way I see it, when you look at Genny's acting, she tries so hard to remember her lines thats why she speaks slowly... I saw Mirror boy, she played the role of a Gambian mother, now why cant she speak with a Gambian accent? she acted the same way she acted in IJE... Denzil missed out on an Oscar twice but when won it for training day, they (academy) said they were shocked that Denzel could go from one extreme to another extreme playing the role of a bad / gangster role. Nollywood is about acting a role, in Hollywood they want you go into the world of that person of the role you are playing and act that role. Look at Mo'nique her role as a drug addict she took that role on like a real drug addict. Denzil said his role as a drunk pilot in his latest movie "Flight" he is not meant to act as a drunkard but to act like an alcoholic that's trying to recover... in a recent interview he said they are 2 different things. He said he had to do alot of research, attend clincic etc all these things look like a waste of time to Nollywood faithfuls, Will Smith said he spent months with Muhammed Ali just to learn how to speak just like Ali... Forest whitaker lived in Uganda just to learn the culture and their accents and how Agressive Idi Amin is, before they start shooting the movie.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by graceng: 12:35pm On Feb 01, 2013
ONE COULD BE A STAR AND WORLD BEST WHEN THEY ARE WITH PEOPLE WHO KNOW NOT SO MUCH ABOUT ACTING....If she needs to be one outside Africa,then she needs to get to work asap,because they don't do no jokes over there undecided

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by VillageBoi(m): 12:36pm On Feb 01, 2013
omar22: The way I see it, when you look at Genny's acting, she tries so hard to remember her lines thats why she speaks slowly... I saw Mirror boy, she played the role of a Gambian mother, now why cant she speak with a Gambian accent? she acted the same way she acted in IJE... Denzil missed out on an Oscar twice but when won it for training day, they (academy) said they were shocked that Denzel could go from one extreme to another extreme playing the role of a bad / gangster role. Nollywood is about acting a role, in Hollywood they want you go into the world of that person of the role you are playing and act that role. Look at Mo'nique her role as a drug addict she took that role on like a real drug addict. Denzil said his role as a drunk pilot in his latest movie "Flight" he is not meant to act as a drunkard but to act like an alcoholic that's trying to recover... in a recent interview he said they are 2 different things. He said he had to do alot of research, attend clincic etc all these things look like a waste of time to Nollywood faithfuls, Will Smith said he spent months with Muhammed Ali just to learn how to speak just like Ali... Forest whitaker lived in Uganda just to learn the culture and their accents and how Agressive Idi Amin is, before they start shooting the movie.

Very true, sadly we do not yet invest the 'TIME' as many have no idea how important it is.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by obi123: 12:55pm On Feb 01, 2013
segunsd: It is crazy. Genevieve is a very good actress and there are more. Ufuoma Ejenobor is very good so is Omotola. Genevieve acted in Dr. Bello and she didn't do badly

sorry but the powers that be are not looking for didn't do badly Nigerian actors and actresses, they are not looking for average .

i think that most of our so called very good actors and actresses need to go back to theatre , stage productions where your raw talent is what will be on display , live shows, most of this Hollywood stars take part in broad way shows not because they are not well paid in the films , they feel the need to still take part in smaller productions on stage , this way they are continuously honing their skills, they are showing their versatility and ability to act in any environment.

i think our actors and actress should challenge themselves by featuring in stage shows in other parts of Africa and indeed abroad, no matter how small the role is , they desperately need exposure

it might be time to bring back talent shows for acting and not just for singing, the theatre departments at universities will have a raft of raw talents , they need to be explored

Money is still a very big factor with our actors and actresses so dont talk to them about the quality of their acting, this comes across in the 100s of movies they feature in
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Originalsly: 12:57pm On Feb 01, 2013
@villageboi....I so much agree with you on not putting all the blame on the actors.The directors and producers are the ones to set the standards...I doubt if many of these films even have scripts much less for the actors to go do research. Maybe some do because I saw Francis Duru in Total War and a matured Liberian guy thought he was Liberian until I said he was not...hmm...maybe he is!...what do I ever know...for sure?! On Gene wanting to be in Half Baked...maybe for exposure to a higher level of film making rather than stardom?
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by VillageBoi(m): 12:58pm On Feb 01, 2013
okeymadu: This is not true. Genny's role wasn't editted out.
xxxifyxxx: LMAO she was reduced to a party scene

We do not know if this news is true or not. No reputable blogs are carrying it... yet. However, interesting conversation going on.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by VillageBoi(m): 1:04pm On Feb 01, 2013
Originalsly: @villageboi....I so much agree with you on not putting all the blame on the actors.The directors and producers are the ones to set the standards...I doubt if many of these films even have scripts much less for the actors to go do research. Maybe some do because I saw Francis Duru in Total War and a matured Liberian guy thought he was Liberian until I said he was not...hmm...maybe he is!...what do I ever know...for sure?! On Gene wanting to be in Half Baked...maybe for exposure to a higher level of film making rather than stardom?
Goes to show it can be done.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Nobody: 2:37pm On Feb 01, 2013
Probably she couldn't do shiit! Hahaha... she thought it's about Nollywood where people just shout and shout. Though I haven't saw any Nollywood movie than the trailer I saw of Genevieve on YouTube. It is shiit, men.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Orikinla(m): 3:35pm On Feb 01, 2013
[size=18pt]THIS IS A BIG LIE.

The producers of the film said the Genevieve Nnaji's parts have not been removed.

It is not true. I do not know the source of the rumour, but it is
completely unfounded.

~ On 1 February 2013 12:29, Michael Chima Ekenyerengozi.

WHY ARE NIGERIANS SUCH SHAMELESS LIARS?[/size]
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by VillageBoi(m): 4:42pm On Feb 01, 2013
Yup it has been said the news is not true and must have been from a blogger wanting his 15mins of fame!
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Nobody: 4:48pm On Feb 01, 2013
Originalsly: Doesn't make sense to me.Who would edit an A list actor out of their movie? In fact they would ratber create a role to plug in an available A list actor and even if it is for a minute or two...that actor would be hoghlighted.Even for a cameo Gene would never be cut out.On Gene being a local star...which African actress is more popular or talented than her internationally?

huh? Internationally? I think that the more i see Genevieve in movies, the less I agree shes a good actress.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by aribisala0(m): 4:48pm On Feb 01, 2013
omar22: The way I see it, when you look at Genny's acting, she tries so hard to remember her lines thats why she speaks slowly... I saw Mirror boy, she played the role of a Gambian mother, now why cant she speak with a Gambian accent? she acted the same way she acted in IJE... Denzil missed out on an Oscar twice but when won it for training day, they (academy) said they were shocked that Denzel could go from one extreme to another extreme playing the role of a bad / gangster role. Nollywood is about acting a role, in Hollywood they want you go into the world of that person of the role you are playing and act that role. Look at Mo'nique her role as a drug addict she took that role on like a real drug addict. Denzil said his role as a drunk pilot in his latest movie "Flight" he is not meant to act as a drunkard but to act like an alcoholic that's trying to recover... in a recent interview he said they are 2 different things. He said he had to do alot of research, attend clincic etc all these things look like a waste of time to Nollywood faithfuls, Will Smith said he spent months with Muhammed Ali just to learn how to speak just like Ali... Forest whitaker lived in Uganda just to learn the culture and their accents and how Agressive Idi Amin is, before they start shooting the movie.
When you are getting $10 million you can attend clinics,do research etc not on 500000 naira. MacDonald is called FAST FOOD for a good reason.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by omar22(m): 4:52pm On Feb 01, 2013
preshuzpearl:

huh? Internationally? I think that the more i see Genevieve in movies, the less I agree shes a good actress.

Thats what I first thought........ She should be in the movie in the first place after criticising the idea to bring in foreign cast but jump at the chance to play a cameo role..... The word hypocrite comes to mind....

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by omar22(m): 4:53pm On Feb 01, 2013
Orikinla: [size=18pt]THIS IS A BIG LIE.

The producers of the film said the Genevieve Nnaji's parts have not been removed.

It is not true. I do not know the source of the rumour, but it is
completely unfounded.

~ On 1 February 2013 12:29, Michael Chima Ekenyerengozi.

WHY ARE NIGERIANS SUCH SHAMELESS LIARS?[/size]

You want to burst a blood vessel or blow a gasket over Gene!!!!
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by VillageBoi(m): 5:14pm On Feb 01, 2013
aribisala0:
When you are getting $10 million you can attend clinics,do research etc not on 500000 naira. MacDonald is called FAST FOOD for a good reason.

And how would you explain the brilliance of the never-acted-before-and-paid-peanuts cast of the Oscar Award winning 'City of God' or even 'Slumdog Millionaire'?
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Orikinla(m): 6:49pm On Feb 01, 2013
In the final version of the Half of A Yellow Sun film, Genevieve Nnaji is still playing her unique role.
Her fans should look forward to seeing her as Ms Adebayo in the film.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Afam4eva(m): 6:55pm On Feb 01, 2013
VillageBoi:

And how would you explain the brilliance of the never-acted-before-and-paid-peanuts cast of the Oscar Award winning 'City of God' or even 'Slumdog Millionaire'?
Those movies are high budget movies. Even the unknown faces were paid more than our biggest celebrities are paid.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by VillageBoi(m): 9:27pm On Feb 01, 2013
Afam4eva:
Those movies are high budget movies. Even the unknown faces were paid more than our biggest celebrities are paid.

Not exactly true. Half Of A Yellow Sun has a budget of $7m but ran over that. City of God has an inflated budget of $3m while Slumdog has $15m... with 'Hollywood accounting tricks' I'd say $2m & $10m respectively. Having said that there are $50,000-100,000 features acted a zillion times better than ours. It's down to film practices and everyone involved really wanting it to be great by putting in blood, sweat & tears - Nollywood has no such culture... we chase the dime first & foremost.
HOAYS budget - http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118057146/
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by ijebabe: 10:57pm On Feb 01, 2013
I hope Orikinla is right. I'll look it up.

It is normal for certain scenes to be removed during editing and it is the director's call. It is not a question of Genevieve being a good actress because there's no doubt she is one of the best actresses Nollywood has got and that is the truth. If she fails abroad it will not be an encouragement to others in the industry who want to move out of their of mediocre productions to bigger and better ones. Rather than throw jabs at her for moving into bigger productions it should be the opposite. It's not her fault the Nigeria film industry is the way it is!

I was only concerned about the fact that the movie did not have a strong Nigerian casting to begin with and cutting out Genevieve's scenes felt like what was left of that 'Nigeria' element was lost. Well, except for the names of the author and director. That will also mean that Chinwetel's role will be cut too. I don't mean to ignore Zack Orji and the other Nigerian actors involved but I hope you understand what I mean.

I'm still looking forward to seeing the movie and no matter what is edited I hope Biyi does us proud.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by VillageBoi(m): 11:13pm On Feb 01, 2013
ijebabe: I hope Orikinla is right. I'll look it up.

It is normal for certain scenes to be removed during editing and it is the director's call. It is not a question of Genevieve being a good actress because there's no doubt she is one of the best actresses Nollywood has got and that is the truth. If she fails abroad it will not be an encouragement to others in the industry who want to move out of their of mediocre productions to bigger and better ones. Rather than throw jabs at her for moving into bigger productions it should be the opposite. It's not her fault the Nigeria film industry is the way it is!

I was only concerned about the fact that the movie did not have a strong Nigerian casting to begin with and cutting out Genevieve's scenes felt like what was left of that 'Nigeria' element was lost. Well, except for the names of the author and director. That will also mean that Chinwetel's role will be cut too. I don't mean to ignore Zack Orji and the other Nigerian actors involved but I hope you understand what I mean.

I'm still looking forward to seeing the movie and no matter what is edited I hope Biyi does us proud.

Well said. No matter what happens with the movie it still is one to see.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Nobody: 11:42pm On Feb 01, 2013
sashaa:
i kuku taya for this peeps o.
Which Mercy Johnson, biko? Abi them dey two for nollywood?

Y'all should stop beefing Mercy! In Nollywood, she is one of the best but lacks public appeal for some reason. I guess it's that Akpuruka abi na Mgbeke factor grin.

@ Thread, if all Genny is playing in the movie is Ms Adebayo, I can't truly say that I'd be disappointed if her part is edited. In the book sef, Ms Adebayo na waka pass. We shall see.................

On a side note, I saw IJE last weekend, I was disappointed. On Chinenye's budget, Teco Benson, Tunde Kelani or Tade Ogidan would have done sooooo much better, I don't know where she got those horrible Oyibo actors from, dem no try at all aside from the guy that played the DA.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by langdon: 9:15am On Feb 02, 2013
Very funny, so b4 dey shot d scenes dey didn't realize dat it wasn't relievant 2 d story? Anyway dats deir business the girl has been paid for her job and for me I can't go 2 d cinema's and watch a hollywood film dat is hidden under d title NOLLYWOOD
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by VillageBoi(m): 11:43am On Feb 02, 2013
langdon: Very funny, so b4 dey shot d scenes dey didn't realize dat it wasn't relievant 2 d story? Anyway dats deir business the girl has been paid for her job and for me I can't go 2 d cinema's and watch a hollywood film dat is hidden under d title NOLLYWOOD

It is normal practice to shoot much, much more than will ever be used in the final product. Even little short films of 10mins can have 4hrs of footage. Imagine how much is shot for a feature film - a helluva lot! shocked
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Orikinla(m): 1:22pm On Feb 02, 2013
This is the newest news on Genevieve Nnaji and not the gossip of evil enemies of progress in Nigeria who like telling lies and spreading fake rumours on others.
https://www.nairaland.com/1183156/genevieve-nnaji-selected-2013-f.a.c.e

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Nobody: 10:40pm On Feb 02, 2013
I hope to see the movie on how it turns out. I stop putting Nollywood actors in high esteem when they couldn't create their own studio. Hollywood is in California with many big studios. Where is Nollywood studio in Nigeria?
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by omar22(m): 2:31pm On Feb 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
That's a nice quote and that's what i've been trying to make these Nigerians who are trying to break into the foreign scene to realize. It's better to a king in your country than to be a slave elsewhere.

Wow accepting the status quo!!!! whats wrong in trying to improve yourself, whats wrong in aiming high... whats the difference between a Nollywood star sleeping with a producer to get a top role in a Nollywood movie that would pay her £2k or a Nollywood star who was given a 1 minute cameo role in a Hollywood movie?

People need to go a read the story of Djimoh Hounsou!!!! A yoruba actress died 2 or 3 years due to lack of rest, it was learnt that she was doing movies after movies because each movie paid N20k and her manager had her cut.

If you dont aim high well ?
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Afam4eva(m): 2:36pm On Feb 04, 2013
omar22:

Wow accepting the status quo!!!! whats wrong in trying to improve yourself, whats wrong in aiming high... whats the difference between a Nollywood star sleeping with a producer to get a top role in a Nollywood movie that would pay her £2k or a Nollywood star who was given a 1 minute cameo role in a Hollywood movie?

People need to go a read the story of Djimoh Hounsou!!!! A yoruba actress died 2 or 3 years due to lack of rest, it was learnt that she was doing movies after movies because each movie paid N20k and her manager had her cut.

If you dont aim high well ?
So, does aiming higher mean going to hollywood? How's hollywood higher. Is that not the movie industry of the Americans? Why the need to prove oneself in America.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Nobody: 4:35pm On Feb 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
So, does aiming higher mean going to hollywood? How's hollywood higher. Is that not the movie industry of the Americans? Why the need to prove oneself in America.
The truth is that you can not do anything without imitating Hollywood. Nollywood as brand-name is already one of the things in question. You are trying to be different without coming up with anything meaningful. Those Nigerian movies are all substandard from a factual sense of things.Don't just try to beef Hollywood here,dude.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Afam4eva(m): 4:52pm On Feb 04, 2013
all4naija: The truth is that you can not do anything without imitating Hollywood. Nollywood as brand-name is already one of the things in question. You are trying to be different without coming up with anything meaningful. Those Nigerian movies are all substandard from a factual sense of things.Don't just try to beef Hollywood here,dude.
Those NIgerian movies are sub-standard because they're using hollywood as a standard which should not be.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by aribisala0(m): 5:53pm On Feb 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
Those NIgerian movies are sub-standard because they're using hollywood as a standard which should not be.
I think there are different facets to standards e.g storylines,screenplay,techical quqlity i,e sound,special effects,animation etc.

Technically hollywood leads and there is nothing wrong in following there technical lead.Take some of the fetish scenes/magical events or even the scenes where people are killed/die they are very poor technically and this largely has to do with budget but some "film tricks" from Hollywood 1950 productions are superio to what we have now.Another thing is physical fights/beatings these look ridiculous in some Nigeria productions

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Download Fantastic Four 2015 / Murray-Bruce, Lai Mohammed At Genevieve Nnaji's Movie Premiere In Abuja / Top 10 Korean Words You'll Always Hear In A Kdrama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.