Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,860 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun (24848 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by paris10: 10:29pm On Jan 31, 2013
Genevieve might be good in Nigerian sense, and her acting ain't bad either, but imaging her Hollywood counterpart finding it difficult to understand what she's saying. Her accent is very thick and and she's not Tonto, or other actresses who could easily change accent. Genny is one way traffic. Cutting out her scene also has nothing to do with where she comes from.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Afam4eva(m): 10:31pm On Jan 31, 2013
paris10: Genevieve might be good in Nigerian sense, and her acting ain't bad either, but imaging her Hollywood counterpart finding it difficult to understand what she's saying. Her accent is very thick and and she's not Tonto, or other actresses who could easily change accent. Genny is one way traffic. Cutting out her scene also has nothing to do with where she comes from.
The movie was set in Nigeria and they were not expecting her to speak American accent. and which Tonto can switch? It seems you're confusing Diobu Engli-Igbo accent with American accent. American accent when spoken by those who own it is effortless.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by aribisala0(m): 10:31pm On Jan 31, 2013
paris10: Genevieve might be good in Nigerian sense, and her acting ain't bad either, but imaging her Hollywood counterpart finding it difficult to understand what she's saying. Her accent is very thick and and she's not Tonto, or other actresses who could easily change accent. Genny is one way traffic. Cutting out her scene also has nothing to do with where she comes from.
Accent has nothing to do . If anything the film will use African accents.It is a film about Africa
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by bonysmile: 10:34pm On Jan 31, 2013
aribisala0: None of them are good actresses just good celebrities.Have you ever seen any of them live on stage.The truth is for a hungry man all food is tasty and there is nothing to compare these "stars" to. In my book Mercy Johnson is one of our best actresses but even then still quite raw. Mike Ezuronye is good but has not fulfilled his potential. Not his fault though you need to work with good directors and producers to grow. Footballlers don't develop by playing 5 a side.
The next generation of actors need to go to school.
I agree with u; Mercy Johnson is one of the best.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by paris10: 10:34pm On Jan 31, 2013
aribisala0:
Accent has nothing to do . If anything the film will use African accents.It is a film about Africa

Got it wrong, thought the movie was made in Hollywood. Still, she wasn't relevant, hence the cut. Mercy Johnson is a better actress, and she would have made the scene. Mercy is underrated, but she's the best in Africa.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by aribisala0(m): 10:34pm On Jan 31, 2013
Afam4eva:
There's a difference between been a stage actor and a movie actor. One does not have to be a good stage actor to be a good actor. How many Hollywood actors actually went to acting school? Actors are only as good as their immediate environment. Genevieve is a Nigerian actress and she's considered a great actress according according to Nigeria's standards. Denzel washington is a great American Actor and he's considered based on American standards. Unfortunately, we're using American standards to determine who can act and who can't. Can Denzel do well in a Nollywood or Bollywood movie?
Stage is the litmus test of Acting. Any actor worth his salt started there.They might not end up there but that is the true test. A large number of Hollywood actors received formal training.Not all but a good number I have not counted and neither have you but Most Oscar winners have had training.
Genevieve is considered "great" by whom for which performance exactly?. This discussion is about a screen performance HOW MANY has she done so far. Her genre is the Home Video and I don't rate her as a great actress. She is a great celebrity but great actress . Please. Look at Olu Jacobs He is one of the best in Nigeria good but I won't call him "great". Ditto for Pete Edochie . If you compare that generation to the younger ones you will see that the youger ones have attained celebrity without sweat and are being found out now.

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Afam4eva(m): 10:39pm On Jan 31, 2013
aribisala0:
Stage is the litmus test of Acting. Any actor worth his salt started there.They might not end up there but that is the true test. A large number of Hollywood actors received formal training.Not all but a good number I have not counted and neither have you but Most Oscar winners have had training.
Does that imply that non-stage actors are not good actors? Good actors are good actors irrespective of where they started or whether or not they are stage actors or not. Genevieve is a great actor according to Nigerian standards and that's all that matters.

2 Likes

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Orikinla(m): 10:40pm On Jan 31, 2013
sholay2011: Awww...this is where talent trumps stardom.

Though Genevieve has the raw talent, but I think she has been to busy with her stardom that she has not taken time to improve her acting skills.

I saw 'Mirror Boy' and her acting was a bit below par. She didn't play 'Tijan's mother' lyk I expected.

I hope she learns from this so she doesn't focus on being a movie star (since she is already one locally) but should focus on being an actress!
. You are right.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by aribisala0(m): 10:42pm On Jan 31, 2013
Afam4eva:
Does that imply that non-stage actors are not good actors? Good actors are good actors irrespective of where they started or whether or not they are stage actors or not. Genevieve is a great actor according to Nigerian standards and that's all that matters.
Most good actors started on stage In NIgeria that is how it was but hey. In Hollywood it is very much the case today. Did you know that sitcoms in the early days were recorded in front of live audiences?
With commercialization and an undiscerning public anything can pass as "ACTING" these days.

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Afam4eva(m): 10:44pm On Jan 31, 2013
aribisala0:
Genevieve is considered "great" by whom for which performance exactly?. This discussion is about a screen performance HOW MANY has she done so far. Her genre is the Home Video and I don't rate her as a great actress. She is a great celebrity but great actress . Please. Look at Olu Jacobs He is one of the best in Nigeria but I won't call him "great". Ditto for Pete Edochie . If you compare that generation to the younger ones you will see that they have attained celebrity without sweat and are being found out now.
People like Olu Jacobs and Pete Edochie will do better when called upon to act a Hollywood movie because they were trained for Hollywood movies or so i think and they have a good mastery of the English language. But Genevieve is a good actor(Nollywood wise). Although even though she's arguably the biggest face of Nollywood, she's not even my best top 10 as far as acting is concerned. I rate Mercy Johnson and a lot of other people above her. But she's good nonetheless.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by crazygod(m): 10:45pm On Jan 31, 2013
For those saying mercy johnson is d best, walahi una no know film @ all. Mercy johnson is in the class of uche jombo. Now when u talk of 'A' list actress, pls call people like Nte Esim.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Afam4eva(m): 10:46pm On Jan 31, 2013
aribisala0:
Most good actors started on stage In NIgeria that is how it was but hey. In Hollywood it is very much the case today. Did you know that sitcoms in the early days were recorded in front of live audiences?
With commercialization and an undiscerning public anything can pass as "ACTING" these days.
Things have changed these days and as you said, anything can pass as acting. At least there's no rule for acting in the holy bible. Acting or anything else is a reflection of the society. bring Denzel to act a Nollywood movie and he would be a flop.

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Afam4eva(m): 10:47pm On Jan 31, 2013
crazygod: For those saying mercy johnson is d best, walahi una no know film @ all. Mercy johnson is in the class of uche jombo. Now when u talk of 'A' list actress, pls call people like Nte Esim.
Ne Ikpe Etim is a very good actress too but so is Mercy Johnson.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by aribisala0(m): 10:50pm On Jan 31, 2013
Afam4eva:
People like Olu Jacobs and Pete Edochie will do better when called upon to act a Hollywood movie because they were trained for Hollywood movies or so i think and they have a good mastery of the English language. But Genevieve is a good actor(Nollywood wise). Although even though she's arguably the biggest face of Nollywood, she's not even my best top 10 as far as acting is concerned. I rate Mercy Johnson and a lot of other people above her. But she's good nonetheless.
Mercy Johnson is one of our best most people overlook this. Genevieve is beautiful but I don't think she is versatile . Patience Ozokor is also very good.
but Nollywood is the equivalent of MacDonalds and so quality goes out of the window. Most actors get Type cast acting the same kind of person and are not really challenged. We can't blame actors entirely though. The whole industry needs to raise its game
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Afam4eva(m): 10:52pm On Jan 31, 2013
aribisala0:
Mercy Johnson is one of our best most people overlook this. Genevieve is beautiful but I don't think she is versatile . Patience Ozokor is also very good.
but Nollywood is the equivalent of MacDonalds and so quality goes out of the window. Most actors get Type cast acting the same kind of person and are not really challenged. We can't blame actors entirely though. The whole industry needs to raise its game
I'll have to agree with you on the fact that Genevieve is not versatile. She's stereotyped for a particular kind of roles unlike Mercy Johnson that i've seen act a high class lady and a bush lady and she acted each role perfectly.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by aribisala0(m): 10:54pm On Jan 31, 2013
Afam4eva:
Things have changed these days and as you said, anything can pass as acting. At least there's no rule for acting in the holy bible. Acting or anything else is a reflection of the society. bring Denzel to act a Nollywood movie and he would be a flop.
Don't agree about the Denzel Bit. What Nollywood churns out are NOT movies.
Certainly asking Denzel to play a role where he speaks Igbo is neither fair nor realistic but with a good Director/Producer he will do a good Okonkwo (Thing's Fall Apart). We have seen other Americans act as black Africans successfully so it can be done

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by aribisala0(m): 10:58pm On Jan 31, 2013
Last time I was in Nigeria saw this guy on TV. Bald Yoruba guy . Heard he was a lecturer. Very good actor but God cheat am with looks. Obviously Old school.Can't remember his name.Impressive actor. Saw his photo again in this Charity football game recently. We have quite a few good actors but they are not popular c'est la vie.
I found the TV productions in Nigeria a lot better than much of this Nollywood stuff
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Afam4eva(m): 10:59pm On Jan 31, 2013
aribisala0:
Don't agree about the Denzel Bit. What Nollywood churns out are NOT movies.
Certainly asking Denzel to play a role where he speaks Igbo is neither fair nor realistic but with a good Director/Producer he will do a good Okonkwo (Thing's Fall Apart). We have seen other Americans act as black Africans successfully so it can be done
I'm not asking Denzel to speak Igbo. Apart from the technical glitches in Nollywood movies, our movies have a certain idiosyncrasy that an American actor will find difficult adapting to. The way we talk, the way we walk and our body language will be difficult for him to replicate. And those Americans that act as Black Africans usually do a terrible job but Americans and europeans who are usually the target audience don't know the difference, so it's all good to them. I watched phat girls and heard the yoruba that those people were speaking and i was like WTF is this? If you're from the African countries where some of these Hollywood movies are set, you'll know that they've done a terrible job in depicting Africa.

5 Likes

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by aribisala0(m): 11:08pm On Jan 31, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm not asking Denzel to speak Igbo. Apart from the technical glitches in Nollywood movies, our movies have a certain idiosyncrasy that an American actor will find difficult adapting to. The way we talk, the way we walk and our body language will be difficult for him to replicate. And those Americans that act as Black Africans usually do a terrible job but Americans and europeans who are usually the target audience don't know the difference, so it's all good to them. I watched phat girls and heard the yoruba that those people were speaking and i was like WTF is this? If you're from the African countries where some of these Hollywood movies are set, you'll know that they've done a terrible job in depicting Africa.
You must not forget the target audience .They are NOT being produced for Africans. I have a frien from India here in the UK and we have been to INdian restaurants a few times. He tells me he does not recognize the food they serve so things could be changed for the target audience and in choosing a foreigner to play a certain role you disadvantage him immediately that is true anywhere. So such roles must be carefully chosen but it can be done. If a white man is acting a Nollywood movie he will still be a white man. He does not have to act as a black man. White men come to Nigeria and have stories so it depends on what the storyline is. This film is about Biafra and I would be disappointed if if becomes another American Titillation whilst failing to do any justice to the Biafra story or the novel.That would be sad
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jan 31, 2013
She failed woefully. Where are the pro-Nollywood talents?! Please, spare me this overrated Genevieve shiit!
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by mbulela: 11:11pm On Jan 31, 2013
sholay2011: Awww...this is where talent trumps stardom.

Though Genevieve has the raw talent, but I think she has been to busy with her stardom that she has not taken time to improve her acting skills.

I saw 'Mirror Boy' and her acting was a bit below par. She didn't play 'Tijan's mother' lyk I expected.

I hope she learns from this so she doesn't focus on being a movie star (since she is already one locally) but should focus on being an actress!
not just her performance but the entire movie was c.rap.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Sprumbaba: 11:12pm On Jan 31, 2013
If the movie is on Blu Ray, Genevieve might see herself in DELETED SCENE.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by mbulela: 11:16pm On Jan 31, 2013
Afam4eva:
Pete Edochie is grossly over rated. I agree with his mastery of English but that is also largely due to the fact that Nollywood is populated by illiterates,so the few like him who can speak English seem extraordinary. His acting is nothing special. His gestures are overdrawn and repetitive to the point of being boring.

3 Likes

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Boss13: 11:17pm On Jan 31, 2013
She is wack. She should just admit it. A list my foot
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Afam4eva(m): 11:17pm On Jan 31, 2013
aribisala0:
You must not forget the target audience .They are NOT being produced for Africans. I have a frien from India here in the UK and we have been to INdian restaurants a few times. He tells me he does not recognize the food they serve so things could be changed for the target audience and in choosing a foreigner to play a certain role you disadvantage him immediately that is true anywhere. So such roles must be carefully chosen but it can be done. If a white man is acting a Nollywood movie he will still be a white man. He does not have to act as a black man. White men come to Nigeria and have stories so it depends on what the storyline is. This film is about Biafra and I would be disappointed if if becomes another American Titillation whilst failing to do any justice to the Biafra story or the novel.That would be sad
You're re-enforcing my point that film is relative to it's setting and each clime has an idiosyncratic disposition that is different from other climes. Slumdog millionaire was adjudged one of the best movies when it came out by both American and European media but the average guy in India could not relate with the movie despite it being set in India.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Afam4eva(m): 11:21pm On Jan 31, 2013
mbulela:
Pete Edochie is grossly over rated. I agree with his mastery of English but that is also largely due to the fact that Nollywood is populated by illiterates,so the few like him who can speak English seem extraordinary. His acting is nothing special. His gestures are overdrawn and repetitive to the point of being boring.
Pete Edochie is only acting based on the roles that he's been given. Actors are only as good as their environment make them to be.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jan 31, 2013
Ehya, poor Gene! I hope it isn't true anyway.....

I agree, Nse Ikpe Etim and Mercy Johnson are as good as Genevieve in acting but Genevieve is better in branding and packaging. Nse needs more experience and Omotola comes right after Genevieve in ranking IMHO. All in all, Genevieve is still the Queen.

I don't expect much from this movie as I've always preferred the book to every "book turned movie" I've watched.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by mbulela: 11:37pm On Jan 31, 2013
Afam4eva:
Pete Edochie is only acting based on the roles that he's been given. Actors are only as good as their environment make them to be.
Even in the same environment we have seen outstanding talents. Pete is not one of them. It is the sea of mediocrity that makes him look better then he is.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Afam4eva(m): 11:39pm On Jan 31, 2013
mbulela:
Even in the same environment we have seen outstanding talents. Pete is not one of them. It is the sea of mediocrity that makes him look better then he is.
What do you expect from someone that's always given a chief or big man roles. He's stereotyped for those kind of roles.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by aribisala0(m): 11:48pm On Jan 31, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're re-enforcing my point that film is relative to it's setting and each clime has an idiosyncratic disposition that is different from other climes. Slumdog millionaire was adjudged one of the best movies when it came out by both American and European media but the average guy in India could not relate with the movie despite it being set in India.
Maybe maybe not. I have seen some good movies in just subtitles. Depends on what the story is about. Many good films are just about humanity and can be understood in any culture. However some films are made with a specific target demographic in mind and that may permit all sorts of licence with detail . But we are talking acting. Some Actors have been successful in acting films even in languages they do not speak just miming the words and a voice over added. Really dedicated actors study their role and do a lot of work. My point is the nature of Nollywood production does not encourage such a work ethic. The pay is low and acting often shabby hence the MacDonald analogy.
Belive me those who get $30 million a movie often work very hard
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Nobody: 12:02am On Feb 01, 2013
She was paid in advance most likely so nothing spoil
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by ksam(m): 12:05am On Feb 01, 2013
For all those Nollywood actors and actress who wnt to feature in Hollywood even if its a minor role,,pls i wnt u to follow the lifestyle of my one nd only Sharuck kahn.he said nd i quote ''i will rather be a king in hell,,than be a slave in heaven'' i so much love this guy..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

CPC, Save Us From Multichoice/gotv / AMVCA: Uzee Usman Is First Northerner To Be Nominated As Best Actor In Drama / Simi Features In A Yoruba Movie "Mokaliki". Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.