Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,750 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? (4659 Views)

Some Sweet USUALS Every Husband Is Supposed To Be Giving To His Wife / Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? / Her Boyfriend Won't Reveal His Surname And Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Renike(f): 11:48pm On May 03, 2006
err, itz not the norm, but i guess ,
neva seen one b4
and i dont fink it has anything to do with submission!
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by dominobaby(f): 11:15am On May 04, 2006
Jst like ROTT said, love is being interpreted as so many unlikely things. People do stupid unthinkable things saying its love. Na wa!
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by dominobaby(f): 11:15am On May 04, 2006
Jst like ROTT said, love is being interpreted as so many unlikely things. People do stupid unthinkable things saying its love. Na wa!
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by babymine(f): 12:00pm On May 04, 2006
Yeah, people do stupid things for love sometimes. grin
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by thelma2(f): 1:18pm On May 05, 2006
not Done! Definately Not In Nigeria!
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by lekjan(m): 12:35pm On May 08, 2006
God forbid bad thing.
Honestly that will be very STUPID for a man to do such a thing.
And for the woman to let his Husband change his surname for
one reason or the other will be too bad.

I will and can never do that.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Ndipe(m): 8:03pm On May 08, 2006
Not only is it abnormal, but it is not Biblical either. The woman ought to remember that the Man is the head of the household
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by otolorin(m): 12:22pm On May 10, 2006
i sincerely hope n pray it doesnt happen, even if na curse.
u no wat?, i tried readin the story thru in d dailies but couldnt phantom d reasoon d man could be so "love-blinded" to such extent.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by eveseh(f): 9:44pm On May 10, 2006
some does it
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by O4real(m): 3:41pm On May 12, 2006
@otolorin

its hard though for a man.
@O4real

Quote from: O4real on May 02, 2006, 01:31 PM
Well if the name will help in your social security status then why not. Nothing is imposible . . . or has not happened either. I have a friend who has changed his father name to his mother's just to have a beta SSS in jand because of the recent nigerian who stole hundreds of thousands of pounds from the deputy prime mister office in the UK. He has just travelled to the UK after resigning from GTBank and he is looking 4 a way to beat the agents to it since they have proved negative once your surname spells AM-A-NIGERIAN.
So people do things based on what they are facing.
Sure thing, i will change to her name without looking back if that solves our problems while my children sticks to the protocol.

one day u might have to be the next jacob to your siblings, if forfeiting your birthright would solve your problems.
no hard feelin, bro am just sayin its not that easy.
Can you be more explicit cos you seems to be bleeting. No hard feelin 2, bro, just sayin its not that easy to ovastand you.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by DaHitler(m): 5:37pm On May 12, 2006
Good luck justifying the reason you gave up your last name to your family.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by osteen(m): 11:45am On Oct 16, 2006
Well i always think there is no big deal to what happens in this world, but giving up ur name is not too logical to me.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Motee(f): 11:26am On Oct 31, 2006
Definately such a thing cannot happen among the AFRICAN COUNTRIES.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by sammyjl(f): 2:23pm On Nov 23, 2006
[s]Everything that a woman does in the marriage is considered wrong, like this topic. Anyways now adays, one can keep his/her surname.

I wouldn't wanna change my surname like that, may be add to it and delete if it aint working out.

u never know, anything can go wrong and for all u know, u'll b stuck wit that surname.
[/s]
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Ameena(f): 5:09pm On Nov 23, 2006
Wat kind of luv wud dat be? Dat's d height of stupidity esp in a country like Nigeria. Thankyou
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by iice(f): 5:20pm On Nov 23, 2006
sammyjl:

[s]Everything that a woman does in the marriage is considered wrong, like this topic. Anyways now adays, one can keep his/her surname.

I wouldn't want to change my surname like that, may be add to it and delete if it aint working out.

u never know, anything can go wrong and for all u know, u'll b stuck wit that surname.
[/s]

For real o lol
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by harvey(m): 10:55am On Nov 24, 2006
i wonder wetin the woman give me chop wey go make me change my surname for hers.then i be outcast.people contribute to this ya all that is familiar with our home videos.Olu Jacobs married to joke silva.wat is that?why did she refuse to be jocobs.guy una go allow that shit?after all the cash wey i pay for her head?
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by irefunke(f): 10:00pm On Nov 24, 2006
BOLEX
aBI WHAT IS THAT YR NAME .I SAW W-E-N---------------------
FOR CLICKING ON A LINK ON YOUR PAGE.I HAVE PROMISED NOT TO CLICK ON ANY LINK AGAIN .
THANK U, IT WAS A HECTIC FUN
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by NiteAngel(m): 6:17pm On Feb 28, 2007
Well I’ve seen it happen; don’t ask me if the guy is African or not. The guy adopted his wife’s surname because he felt the name sounded better than his and since he loved her he did not feel that would reduce his manhood sorry manliness. The unfortunate part is, when they divorced the guy really wanted to retain the name but… Why did I say unfortunate? Aren’t women always caught between dropping or retaining the surname when something goes wrong?

A number of us preach the Bible and believe in it but go back and read there’s no place where a woman or man had to take on the others’ surname. No “Eve Adam” and no “Abraham Sarah”. I guess it’s a tradition that makes ownership tick and men believe they should own (but not be owned by) women.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Nia: 10:21pm On Feb 28, 2007
I know people who have done it and I am surprised at the level of sexists drivel that we as Africans still perpetuate. If a man wants to give up his name for his wife, that's his business. It's not necessarily about love but respect and equality, something that seems to be missing when our society talk about women. We seem to enjoy perpetuating the one-sided inequalities that plaque women in our society. No one person's name is more important than the other and any man comfortable enough in his own skin to defy the laws society has constructed will get their share of respect from me. So no, if women can give up their name, there's nothing wrong with men giving up their name too, so long as both partners have these same progressive mentality and they're not at opposite ends on the issue.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by pash(m): 5:07pm On Mar 01, 2007
Babwilms did u call it Nonsense, as 4 me i don't no what to call it maybe madness. for what money or extra life.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by bunmii(f): 3:48pm On Mar 02, 2007
that just totally wrong, either they add both of their surname together or the wife should use her husband name
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by nikynike(f): 12:19pm On Mar 06, 2007
The woman should be submissive therefore she has no right to do such thing.
In this Country no man can do it.Even the blind.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Perle(f): 3:43pm On Mar 11, 2007
well its a normal thing in Germany.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Creamish(f): 11:27am On Mar 13, 2007
Sounds funny to me, does it rily happen? shocked
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by daprince: 6:04am On Mar 16, 2007
I begin to wonder how Seun reasons! Seun, what the heck are u talking about?
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Ndipe(m): 7:04am On Mar 16, 2007
The way some people interprete the word LOVE is really sickening. There are certain laid down standards in life that help in establishing a society. When we start tampering with these standards then we are destroying the very frabic of the society. One day, some people are going to ask their husbands to get pregnant for them.

There are some certain things I will never do if it's a requirement to prove my love. Too me it's like the devil tempting Jesus by asking him to jump if he's truly the son of God. It was pure temptation. The devil himself knew that Jesus is the true son of God.

Any day my wife begins to doubt my love and ask me to fulfil certain conditions in order to prove it, I WILL NOT DO IT.

Ndipe's comment

@Rotweiller, you cant even compare the temptation of Jesus Christ by satan with a woman's insistence that a man should change his name to her last name. Vastly different, and not worth comparing. True, we live in a paternalistic society, but this trend of adopting both names is not uncommon nowadays in the USA. Of course, I dont endorse it, it is an anomaly.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Everbright(f): 10:01am On Mar 16, 2007
I know a man who was forcing his son in-law to be to change his name to his own name
But a night to the wedding,the young man threatened to call off the wedding if the condition still stands
The fater in-law tot it was only a threat but the young man meant business
The next day the wedding was off grin
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Ronke2811(f): 10:27am On Mar 16, 2007
ORISHIRISHI, WETIN WE NO GO SEE FOR THIS WORLD
THE BIBLE SAYS A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FAMILY, CLEAVE UNTO HIS WIFE AND THEY SHALL BECOME ONE NOT VICE VERSA.
THE DAY THIS BEGING TO HAPPEN I WILL CONSIDER IT AT THE EIGHT WONDERS OF THE EARTH.
IT IS ABSOLUTELY CRAZY FOR ANY GUY TO TAKE THAT OPTION, BUT YOU KNOW SOME GUYS EYE DEY CHOOK FOR MONEY.
BUT THE DAY MY BROTHERS DO THIS UNGODLY ACT, I WILL PERSONALLY DISOWNED THEM
SHEKINAH
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by NiteAngel(m): 2:47am On Apr 07, 2007
Ronke 2811.

You quoted a Bible verse but your comment did not substantiate your quote. The Bible asked the man to leave and cleave; how come the world we live in today ask women to leave and cleave not just to the man but his name (even if it is Sangogbemi) and his ideology (even if it is whimsical)?

Ndipe, Pash,

Did Jesus Christ not give up His name, personality etc for love? How come we now believe some things are unheard of in the name of love?
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by swiftycool(m): 2:53pm On Apr 10, 2007
I think is the sickest thing to be done, tongue
advisable for wussies
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Ndipe(m): 2:54am On Apr 11, 2007
It is not sick,@swiftycool, but an abberation from our culture for a man to take on his wife's last name.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman Claims She Was Raped, Impregnated By A Pig (Pictured) / Pastor Takes Pictures Of His Wife Privates Parts, To See If She Had Sex At Churc / Will Contract Marriage Work In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.