Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,739 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? (4658 Views)

Some Sweet USUALS Every Husband Is Supposed To Be Giving To His Wife / Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? / Her Boyfriend Won't Reveal His Surname And Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Everbright(f): 2:05pm On Apr 11, 2007
Ndipe:

It is not sick,@swiftycool, but an abberation from our culture for a man to take on his wife's last name.

Does it mean he can take her first name
like Angelina grin grin
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Hugoboi(m): 2:09pm On Apr 11, 2007
It is a total aberation both cultural and otherwise.I've heard such things being practised within sum ethnic groups but if u ask me,i'd say it is repugnant to everything sanity stands for.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by adeboo(f): 5:05pm On Apr 11, 2007
If you are a Nigerian it will definately be a no no.

In Nija we have too many traditions and customs and any man that does that, brings shame on his family - his father may even disown him.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by angelchi(f): 6:40pm On Apr 11, 2007
4 a real 9ja man? na lie dat one no fit happen.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by swiftycool(m): 8:16am On Apr 12, 2007
@Ndipe
Ndipe:

It is not sick,@swiftycool, but an abberation from our culture for a man to take on his wife's last name.

Like i know some highly placed Political Bigwig, a man going by the sur-name "EKAETTE" which means in literal direct translation "FATHER'S MOTHER" or "GRAND MOTHER" and You say dat aint Sick, i wonder what can be for a better word SIcKKer!  tongue tongue
imagine how his kids would survive the turture in school for such a dumb mistake all in d name of LOVE
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by acidrop(f): 8:21am On Apr 12, 2007
depend also on the man's background if it is a culture where it dosent matter
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by weev(f): 1:18am On Jun 03, 2008
Happens all the time in Scotland (where I live) & (Ireland, where my father is from) were traditionally the most 'important' families name will be taken.

i.e. A man named McLaughton marrying a women from the Gunn clan would have been expected to and would have wanted to take on the more wealth and powerful clan name .There by giving his children a better start in life. Has to be said though that this is not the reason it goes on now but it is the background.

Quite common now for a young married couple to take on a totally new family name.

If a man marries a women with no brothers and he (the man) has many I think it is a pure act of love to take on her family name so that the family name lives on and does not die. Although I think that it would be very hard for a man to do so in Nigeria, as we are not an open minded nation.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Blatant: 1:47pm On Jun 03, 2008
weev:

Happens all the time in Scotland (where I live) & (Ireland, where my father is from) were traditionally the most 'important' families name will be taken.

i.e. A man named McLaughton marrying a women from the Gunn clan would have been expected to and would have wanted to take on the more wealth and powerful clan name .There by giving his children a better start in life. Has to be said though that this is not the reason it goes on now but it is the background.

Quite common now for a young married couple to take on a totally new family name.

If a man marries a women with no brothers and he (the man) has many I think it is a pure act of love to take on her family name so that the family name lives on and does not die. Although I think that it would be very hard for a man to do so in Nigeria, as we are not an open minded nation.

I see you're Scottish.

Pray, how many men in Scotland do you know who have taken their wives' names?

No yarn us tory o
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by AfroAGoGo(f): 5:43am On Jun 05, 2008
I for one will not be changing my last name - I don't care what my husband does, but I like my current last name and unless my new one would sound better, I'm not changing $hit! grin
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by liquid7: 4:28pm On Jun 06, 2008
Firstly i am the sort of guy that if the woman wants to keep her surname its fine by me .However the environment will probably make her uneasy with constant asking why she did this for the rest of her life but its her problem not mine.If she can cope with it then so be it.
However before women start proclaiming that they want their men to change the name espically in nigeria they should first be ready to make other changes .
If you insist the man pays bride price then you have no buisness even asking.
Many Nigerian women are quick at always looking to adopt cultural ties of the western world but when it does not favour them they quickly readopt it.Take white wedding reception for instance.Taken off the white man and when they found out that the woman's family pays for it they quickly reverted it to be the man's problem!
Before i even accept taking a woman name then she needs to take the responsibilies that comes with it.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Godalone(m): 12:47pm On Jun 07, 2008
I will never drop my surname for anybody.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by bigfather(m): 12:42am On Jun 08, 2008
So who is marrying who ? Thats absolutely madness !
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by carmelily: 11:05am On Aug 11, 2008
big father:

So who is marrying who ?
Maybe they are 'marrying' each other? why should either have to change his/her name, anyway?

Godalone:

I will never drop my surname for anybody.

me neither
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by dudubobo1: 4:09pm On Aug 11, 2008
many of you here have no need to change your surnames because it wont be long till you are with another man so it's pointless having to change your surname as you'll have to change again when you marry the next man
tongue
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by chiogo(f): 6:17pm On Aug 11, 2008
Na wa ooo. I didn't know Nigerians/Africans on this site could be this stupid. I'm gonna kill somebody

if i see the word 'submission' again. First of all, some Nigerians have crazy-ass names. I'm not saying

they dunno the meaning of their names. They do but sometimes, the names have horrible meanings

which sometimes have to do with death(i wonder who come up with such names ). The guy in

question probably never liked the meaning of his last name and planned on changing it. Maybe switching

to his wife's last name seemed like a better option Cuz in marriage, they say the two people are "one",

right?? I don't see anything wrong in that. And all y'all gloating need to chill. where did the bible even say

a woman has to answer her husband's name??
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by ssRhino: 7:37pm On Aug 11, 2008
It is just a name, if the man prefers the wife's name why not?
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by elderberry: 5:38pm On Mar 27, 2009
that is colossal madness in bold and italics with a phd and mfr
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by bluespice(f): 6:38pm On Mar 27, 2009
lol as a woman illd say its a huuuuge indication of the reverse of roles in the relationship

weird to say the least
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Ndipe(m): 6:46pm On Mar 27, 2009
Ridiculous.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by amaikama(m): 2:56pm On Apr 23, 2009
@poster!! talk true oohh abi na u? grin just no shame, tell us we no go laff ur head off but help u. grin grin cheesy
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by tpia0003: 9:41am On Dec 26, 2014
whatever rocks their boat.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by tpia0003: 3:26pm On Dec 26, 2014
Rottweiler:
The way some people interprete the word LOVE is really sickening. There are certain laid down standards in life that help in establishing a society. When we start tampering with these standards then we are destroying the very frabic of the society. One day, some people are going to ask their husbands to get pregnant for them.

Scientists are working on that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Inlaws Giving Conditions. / Woman Claims She Was Raped, Impregnated By A Pig (Pictured) / Pastor Takes Pictures Of His Wife Privates Parts, To See If She Had Sex At Churc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.