Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,686 members, 7,823,935 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? (4664 Views)

Some Sweet USUALS Every Husband Is Supposed To Be Giving To His Wife / Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? / Her Boyfriend Won't Reveal His Surname And Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by otolorin(m): 9:43am On May 02, 2006
hey, people. i want to know if any man could do this: get married to his lovey and then start carrying her surname as the new name of the family.
e.g Mr J Smith marries Miss P. Wallace = Mr & Mr Wallace.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by babymine(f): 10:42am On May 02, 2006
The woman submits, not the man. grin grin grin
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by babwilms(m): 11:51am On May 02, 2006
Nonsense, its not done
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by otolorin(m): 12:21pm On May 02, 2006
i read it in a daily in nig. here.
it happened.
so i was gonna hear the forum's opinion abt it
i dont support it as well.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by babymine(f): 1:31pm On May 02, 2006
It won't happen. grin grin grin
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by O4real(m): 1:31pm On May 02, 2006
Well if the name will help in your social security status then why not. Nothing is imposible . . . or has not happened either. I have a friend who has changed his father name to his mother's just to have a beta SSS in jand because of the recent nigerian who stole hundreds of thousands of pounds from the deputy prime mister office in the UK. He has just travelled to the UK after resigning from GTBank and he is looking 4 a way to beat the agents to it since they have proved negative once your surname spells AM-A-NIGERIAN.
So people do things based on what they are facing.
Sure thing, i will change to her name without looking back if that solves our problems while my children sticks to the protocol.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Rhodalyn(f): 1:32pm On May 02, 2006
that is just really unusual!
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by babymine(f): 1:33pm On May 02, 2006
So unusual, very soon women will start marrying men! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 02, 2006
outlandish. The height of irresponsible behaviour. The best i can do is change my surname to my middle name.

Take up my wife's surname? simply ridiculous!
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Seun(m): 6:11pm On May 02, 2006
Well, I can do it. Why not? of course, there must be a reason.

And babymine, don't give me that "submission" line. We are not all disciples of Apostle Paul. An enterprising woman is more appealing than a nagging doormat.

Is it love? No, it's just 21st century pragmatism. Male superiority complex is now unfashionable.

1 Like

Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by O4real(m): 6:28pm On May 02, 2006
babymine:

So unusual, very soon women will start marrying men! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Seriously I dont know what is holding you women, abeg u ladies should start making marriage moves jo! Some Asian countries are already into it. Why should it be the guy that will pay the bride price. Let the women too pay groom's price! They should start becoming more responsible as a bread winner.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by uche1(m): 6:55pm On May 02, 2006
yaa nothing is impossible, things like this do happen but as for me, i wont do it take up my wifes family name
if you are from the easthen part of the county you will understand what it means to abandon your fathers name
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by bolex(m): 7:27pm On May 02, 2006
maybe in her family

they are only gals

so the guy decides to help them carry thier family name on

it's LOVE

but am not sure if I can do it

it's not something I can;t do though

grin
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by babymine(f): 7:31pm On May 02, 2006
grin grin grin
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Rottweiler(m): 8:52pm On May 02, 2006
The way some people interprete the word LOVE is really sickening. There are certain laid down standards in life that help in establishing a society. When we start tampering with these standards then we are destroying the very frabic of the society. One day, some people are going to ask their husbands to get pregnant for them.

There are some certain things I will never do if it's a requirement to prove my love. Too me it's like the devil tempting Jesus by asking him to jump if he's truly the son of God. It was pure temptation. The devil himself knew that Jesus is the true son of God.

Any day my wife begins to doubt my love and ask me to fulfil certain conditions in order to prove it, I WILL NOT DO IT.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by princeonx: 1:06am On May 03, 2006
if the love reach say him go give up him last name and take up the wife's, he might as well carry the pregnancy! bullshit!
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by princeonx: 1:07am On May 03, 2006
Good talk Rottweiler! I been no even read your post before posting mine!
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by bolex(m): 1:19am On May 03, 2006
Rottweiler:

The way some people interprete the word LOVE is really sickening. There are certain laid down standards in life that help in establishing a society. When we start tampering with these standards then we are destroying the very frabic of the society. One day, some people are going to ask their husbands to get pregnant for them.

There are some certain things I will never do if it's a requirement to prove my love. Too me it's like the devil tempting Jesus by asking him to jump if he's truly the son of God. It was pure temptation. The devil himself knew that Jesus is the true son of God.

Any day my wife begins to doubt my love and ask me to fulfil certain conditions in order to prove it, I WILL NOT DO IT.

good point rott

I officially invite you to all ma threads

make sure you drop a note , no matter how small the amount of words are

you just intelligent boi

prince_onx:

grin grin grin grin grin grin
if the love reach say him go give up him last name and take up the wife's, he might as well carry the pregnancy! bullshit!
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by bolex(m): 1:20am On May 03, 2006
@ rott

na you be dt for the pic ?

You be fine boi o

grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by emmie4j(m): 7:05am On May 03, 2006
The day she is able to get me pregnant, I will change my last name, cool
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by otolorin(m): 8:09am On May 03, 2006
its hard though for a man.
@O4real
O4real:

Well if the name will help in your social security status then why not. Nothing is imposible . . . or has not happened either. I have a friend who has changed his father name to his mother's just to have a beta SSS in jand because of the recent nigerian who stole hundreds of thousands of pounds from the deputy prime mister office in the UK. He has just travelled to the UK after resigning from GTBank and he is looking 4 a way to beat the agents to it since they have proved negative once your surname spells AM-A-NIGERIAN.
So people do things based on what they are facing.
Sure thing, i will change to her name without looking back if that solves our problems while my children sticks to the protocol.
one day u might have to be the next jacob to your siblings, if forfeiting your birthright would solve ur problems.
no hard feelin, bro am just sayin its not that easy.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by babymine(f): 9:12am On May 03, 2006
@ Nwoke

Submission in the sense that the man marries the woman and not the other way round. You don't have to be the disciple of Apostle Paul to know that!! grin grin
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by kenshin(m): 9:55am On May 03, 2006
totally absurd!!!!!!!!! angry
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Rhea(f): 11:16am On May 03, 2006
A man gives up his surname for his wife's smiley
After all, the world is changing at a breathtaking rate cheesy

So, let's add these to the list then:

- women propose to men
- men start bearing kids (not forgetting the breast feeding part)
- women start paying groom price
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by furlee(m): 11:41am On May 03, 2006
It all depends on the culture of the land. In some remote cultures in India, Nepal and Ghana, a woman marries a man and the woman has to pay bride price. In such case the man has to bear the name of the woman.

In our country nigeria this is not the norm.

However, my candid opinion is that a submissive wife should be able to forgo her maiden name and totally commit herself to her crown (her husband).

On a lighter side, I quote from Psalms 45:10 "Hearken, O daughter, and consider, and incline thine ear; forget also thine own people, and thy father's house;" grin grin
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by zarah(f): 1:58pm On May 03, 2006
Yeah right!!!
but it didnt say forget thine fathers's name
what's in a name anyway?
although it's gross for a man to take up his wife's name, i dont see what all the fuss is about.
i am thankful am not required by any law to change my name. grin
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Christino(m): 2:25pm On May 03, 2006
Definitely, not love.

The world is rotating, women want to be on top (u know what i mean?), they want to be the president they fight for sex equality, they want to do all the sport that men do (except that one?). They want to boss their man around nowadays and above all they want to marry like two three men and put them in the same house and give the kids their own surnames and that ain't going to happen @ least not in our lifetime.

They even want their kids to call them DADDY shocked

This ain't love, its madness, @ worst, keep your individual surnames, what about the kids? let them choose! Pronto!
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by IAH(f): 3:27pm On May 03, 2006
What is the meaning of that? It's not love, it's rubbish!
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by kimba(m): 4:21pm On May 03, 2006
@otolarin
it would have been nice for you to give us a gist of the surrounding circumstances that would warrang the man giving up his surnname for his wife.

In maternal societies, such happens. In Ghana for example, I heard that children bear the surnname of their mother, because of some ancient history behind the woman as the head of the family.

hey, where are the Ghananians on this forum, pls give us more of the gist.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by Ashiwaju(m): 4:39pm On May 03, 2006
it cant fit happen! which kain love be dt, even though i reason with those that say for economical circumstances they can change it but for moi, oh economical o, ko ekonomikal oo, aint changing my name to my wife's cus men, we never can tell how far u ll go with ur name ooo, if obj had changed his name to Abebe, boya by now, he would be working in the creeks.
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by SamCharles(m): 5:05pm On May 03, 2006
TUFIAKWA! I SAY TUFIAKWA!!

What kind of love will make a man take his wife's name even if
she hold im "mumu" remote control button, it wont work.
Kai! This beats imagination man! shocked
Re: Is It Love For A Man To Give Up His Surname For His Wife's? by opeemi1(m): 5:15pm On May 03, 2006
Well to tell u the truth, any man that does such a thing definitely doesn't know what he his doing.

Any woman that accept such a proposal has <something> to with it, cos its simply abnormal for a man to do such a thing.

So if u fall into this category, u need deliverance MAN. shocked wink wink grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Every Family Should Read This / Pastor Takes Pictures Of His Wife Privates Parts, To See If She Had Sex At Churc / Will Contract Marriage Work In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.