Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,427 members, 7,819,554 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast (23763 Views)

Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast: AWC (4 - 2) On 10th October 2014 / Photos Of President Jonathan Watching Nigeria Vs Bosnia World Cup Game / Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - CHAN Qualifier (4 - 1) On 6th July 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by olokfor: 8:43pm On Feb 04, 2013
BY DAUD OLATUNJI
ABEOKUTA-A- 40 year old Moshood Ismail Owolabi was reported to have slumped and died on Sunday at a viewing centre located at Lanlepe compound, Oke-Sokori in Abeokuta, Ogun State capital during the quarter final match of the African Cup of Nation between the Super Eagles of Nigeria and the Elephants of Cote d’Ivoire.

Owolabi, an Engineer with Federal Road Maintenance Agency (FERMA), Federal Ministry of Works in Abeokuta was said to have been immediately rushed to a nearby clinic, Success Medical Clinic where he was given a first aid before being referred to another hospital (First Alpha).

He was said to have died on the way to First Alpha hospital also in Abeokuta.

The Super Eagles fan who died in Abeokuta on Sunday while watching Nigeria vs Ivory Coast match.

Confirming his death the medical Director of the Clinic, Sulaiman Kolawole told Vanguard that Owolabi was already dead before he was brought to the clinic and that all effort to rescue him hit the rock.

While explaining the cause of his death, the Medical Director told our correspondent that the incident was as a result of excessive intake of carbondioxide which he said was persistent for a longer period of time before resulting to what he called anoxia.

“Immediately the boy was brought, he was brought dead, from what I learnt, I was told by a close friend that he had a fatal accident about two months ago and he was treated and managed.

“It supposed to be an heart attack, because the way I saw him, he looked weak, he doesn’t look agile and healthy, he looked like some who has been sick for a very long period of time, he looked like someone who is managing his life and now facing a lot of crowd with shortage of oxygen in that area, we call it anoxia, excessive intake of carbondioxide persistently for a longer period of time but it was late before he was brought here,” he said.

When Vanguard visited the viewing centre Monday, it was observed that, the ramshackle wooden place had a very small window from where ventilation only enters and the place was said to be containing about hundred football fans.

An eye witness told Vanguard that late Owolabi who was married with two children couldn’t control himself when Victor Moses missed a very good chance resulting in his collapse.

A neighbour of the deceased who was also at the viewing center when the incident happened, Taiwo Adebayo narrated that it was like a cardiac arrest adding that he started foaming when he fell on ground.

Adebayo disagreed with the Medial Director of Success Medical Clinic saying that Owolabi was immediately rescued and taken to the clinic alive. He added that the Doctor was not available on getting to the hospital.

He said the deceased later died on the way to another hospital where he was referred to.

“We were together when the match started, when Moses played a shot on target and it was deflected off by another opposing player, it was that time that he fell on someone’s laps as is if he suffered from cardiac arrest and he started foaming.

“I grabbed him immediately and rushed him to the hospital when we got to success hospital, the Doctor was not available and the nurses tried giving him first aid when the doctor was contacted, then he was still breathing.

“When the doctor came, he checked him and immediately referred him to another hospital (First Alpha), on the way going, the gear of the vehicle got damaged and we secured a taxi after some minutes.

“When we got the hospital, the Doctor confirmed him dead. We went to his father at Kugba area in Abeokuta and the man gave a go ahead for his burial,” he narrated.

Adebayo described Owolabi as a very jovial person who, according to him, will always be noticed where ever he is because of his attitude to people.

Owolabi’s widow, Mrs Tawakalitu Temilola Ismail was still in shock when our correspondent visited her at the family’s flat in Abeokuta.

She described the incident as a dream adding that her late husband was busy wandering around the area with a close friend for hours before the mach later started.

She hinted that he later husband left behind aged parents who are in their 80s.

“He was involved in an accident about two months ago, the accident was fatal and he survived it, but this incident was like a dream but we give thanks to Almighty Allah,” she hinted in a very low voice.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/eagless-fan-dies-while-watching-qfinal-match/

Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by GeJ79: 11:36pm On Feb 04, 2013
RIP.........U GO HEAR THE WINNER ON THE LAST DAY

4 Likes

Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by donsax: 11:38pm On Feb 04, 2013
Eyah.....Rip.....eagles need to win this cup to appease his soul.
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by Roland17(m): 11:39pm On Feb 04, 2013
PESIN NO SEE BETTER THING TO DIE FOR, NA FOR SUPER EAGLES!!!

R.I.P.. YOU WATCH OUR GAME AGAINST MALI FOR YOUNDER

4 Likes

Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by cesil92: 11:39pm On Feb 04, 2013
Hmmm, pathetic
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by Nobody: 11:40pm On Feb 04, 2013
He died for Nigeria.

RIP cry
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by saem(m): 11:40pm On Feb 04, 2013
May his soul RIP.

1 Like

Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by Akshow: 11:40pm On Feb 04, 2013
ahhhhhh o ma se o! my egba brother sun re o. no worry super eagles will win this trophy and your patriotism and death wont be in vain. forumites let me hear a loud amen pls
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by Basic(m): 11:41pm On Feb 04, 2013
He didn't die during the first round matches, when the eagles put up a shabby performance that could actually send viewers to their early graves.
Ironically, he died on a day when the eagles put up their best show in many years.
What a rush!

6 Likes

Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by igbsam(m): 11:41pm On Feb 04, 2013
Na wa o..........so Super Eagles never stop to dey kill people, even after they won a match. No difference between them and the Nigerian Police. grin

3 Likes

Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by frankyfresh(m): 11:42pm On Feb 04, 2013
RIP
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by Akshow: 11:42pm On Feb 04, 2013
Roland17: PESIN NO SEE BETTER THING TO DIE FOR, NA FOR SUPER EAGLES!!!

R.I.P.. YOU WATCH OUR GAME AGAINST MALI FOR YOUNDER
that's mean! you know the death wey go kill you? angry angry angry angry

5 Likes

Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by okoraforaboy: 11:43pm On Feb 04, 2013
abeg,una no dey sleep?make una no vex ooo!!!
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by dadicvila(m): 11:43pm On Feb 04, 2013
Too bad,am sure if the match was live on NTA he wudnt have gone to a crowded viewing centre,Nigeria-a country where people die avoidable deaths....R.I.P

25 Likes

Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by MadCow1: 11:43pm On Feb 04, 2013
How sad....

I can imagine what the viewing centre must have looked like. Many of such places abound in Nigeria... The places are always so crowded and poorly ventilated

I pray his soul finds peace ...

2 Likes

Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by dadicvila(m): 11:44pm On Feb 04, 2013
okorafor aboy: abeg,una no dey sleep?make una no vex ooo!!!
shut up joh!!!jobless attention seeker
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by Artistree: 11:45pm On Feb 04, 2013
If d guy was enlightened abt his health condition, he'd have known just how to manage it 2avoid a cardiac...poor soul.

2 Likes

Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by Nobody: 11:46pm On Feb 04, 2013
Why cant our hospitals be fully equipped for once. A hospital only gave first aid?
By d time a patient is referred from one hospital to another,they end up dying. Gushhhhh

2 Likes

Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by queezer(f): 11:46pm On Feb 04, 2013
RIP,nigerian will never forgot u die for ur nation
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by vanPELaj(m): 11:47pm On Feb 04, 2013
Rip .
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by Valiantvaliant(m): 11:48pm On Feb 04, 2013
I love myself too much to enter such a place, even though i am of sound health i won't enter.
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by toluleke(m): 11:50pm On Feb 04, 2013
Rip.but op say na wen nigeria score he die sha. THEN HE DIED a joyful death. My his soul rest in peace and God wod takia of d ones he lef+

1 Like

Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by hoochay: 11:51pm On Feb 04, 2013
watin happen to the man?
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by BarryX(m): 11:52pm On Feb 04, 2013
[color=#006600]but not for a Nigerian match now ..'!! Ah ah, MAY his gentle soul rest in perfect peace ..painful though.. Message to viewing centers to please try and keep the place ventilated ,the armpit and sweat stench that oozes from these centers are enough for any anoxia or heart attack [color]

1 Like

Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by Valiantvaliant(m): 11:53pm On Feb 04, 2013
olokfor:
A- 40 year old Moshood Ismail Owolabi...
...“Immediately the boy...
Are we back to the days of Methuselah?

12 Likes

Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by 1shortblackboy: 11:54pm On Feb 04, 2013
Ah ah why na cry
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by Ejine(m): 11:54pm On Feb 04, 2013
It was a heroic death.
He died for his country.
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by Chisco4love(m): 11:54pm On Feb 04, 2013
He died for the Eagles........I pray that they will win d trophy for him to be happy any where he is, RIP.
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by TableLeg(m): 11:55pm On Feb 04, 2013
SMH ..... undecided
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by ayobase(m): 11:56pm On Feb 04, 2013
dadicvila: Too bad,am sure if the match was live on NTA he wudnt have gone to a crowded viewing centre,Nigeria-a country where people die avoidable deaths....R.I.P
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by okoraforaboy: 11:57pm On Feb 04, 2013
dadicvila: shut up joh!!!jobless attention seeker
thank you boss!!i will shut up.
Re: Man Dies Watching Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast by Roland17(m): 11:58pm On Feb 04, 2013
Akshow: that's mean! you know the death wey go kill you? angry angry angry angry

I am sorry if that sounded offensive to you, but i am being pragmatic

People die for Money, Family, Wife/ Children

If you have a choice on how you would die, would it be for the Super Eagles?

If you know your situation especially health wise, you should know the kind of things you do.

If you are not strong willed or courageous please stay away from supporting Arsenal and Nigeria

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ahmed Musa Secures Syinix Electronics Endorsement Deal / Stars Who Missed Out On World Cup / Hope Akpan And Wife Expecting Their First Child (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.