Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,076 members, 7,825,399 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? (16287 Views)

A Simple Mind Game To Know how your Bae feels about you. / It Feels Weird Running In to Your Ex - Why? / [Kissing] Your Partner Doesn't Know How To Kiss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by Doncolio(m): 1:58pm On Feb 07, 2013
zoelife: Now the guys are commenting. Was beginning to wonder. And it feels good hearing from both sides.
Break-up is the last thing on my mind. My guy is not bad at all. Guess I gt d responses I got because I highlighted just one fault(which can be worked on).
Ah, break up? No way. After all I ve bn thru with my exes'.

First of all,you need to realize the mistake you are making by seeking for help here on NL, because no one has d slightest clue of how loving or otherwise this guy is (be very careful in absorbing all you read. You are in the relationship because you saw something known only to you.
Secondly, its obvious the guy loves you. Low or high self esteem, judging from your comment above and you do in a way. Break up is very easy but the regret can be for a life time. Not everyone gets a second chance.
Thirdly, most of d girls on NL are mostly unmarried with a psychic of a Mr. have and know it all kind of Mr. right in mind. Some will grow old still looking for him (not a curse). But you have a man that's feeling insecure because of your actions or in action. You are talking about your life so be careful in taking to advice when you are in the relationship.
In my own opinion, work more on understanding your guy and his reasons for asking such a critical question. Help his self esteem by being more of a lover, help him build on his strong point and be more of his lady rather than just an ambitious girl.

7 Likes

Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by nikegbade(f): 1:59pm On Feb 07, 2013
U urself need to identify what u want. What u want is diff from what is available. Marriage is far more than u think. If u know he's feeling u're much for her, why not take your time $ get ur match
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by seunny4lif(m): 2:15pm On Feb 07, 2013
dederocs:
find another,abi dem tie u rope...abi you be Oprah or Alicia keys.mtcheew,naija girls una too dey form time go reach una go marry unaselves.yeye things.
No mind dem..Make them ask oprah,how many years,she don marry?....After OP don leave the guy becos she already makeup her mind,then she come back nairaland begin dey ask yeye question like 1..How can u meet ur Ex 2 ....Why are men so wicked.....3....How can successful lady meet a good man.....Nonsense,If u like leave am or not,na u know.....
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by toygod2: 2:21pm On Feb 07, 2013
No problem.....jst Go listen to OMOTENA by SOLIDSTAR
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Feb 07, 2013
zoelife: Been worried lately over this issue. He's a great guy, loving, kind and all. Yet time and time again the issue comes up if I'm still with him, or if there's someone somewhere who's probably doing better than him. Getting a little worked up over things I call 'trivial' like not knowing my friends(I'm not a crowd person. My friends are mostly married women. Or guys. That's me),etc.
Not that he's being unpleasant, but the thing here is, I'm wat u cld call an 'alpha female'. Ambitious, driven and visionary. These I think give him the 'not good enuff' feeling, plus the fact dat he's still a beginner(I'm not yet there either). Whenever he expresses such feelings, I feel him too and attimes wonder to myself, if truly there's someone better for me out there. I dunno.
Sound advice NLers needed, married folks welcome. Tks
You should leave him before he ruins your life. Your type of girl is what I love but your breed is so rare likewise guys that can successfully manage you.

Be really careful though so you don't end up being single in your 50's or divorced. What you need is a guy that supports your dream no matter what and you support his too. Know your limits too and how to make your man always feel he is in control.
Women like Dora Akunyili, Deziani Alison, Christian Armanpour, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala should be your mentors, notice I didn't mention Evelyn Oputu or Arunmah Oteh because they are failures at the home front. Yes, these women are big time and you may never meet them in person but if you look around your community, you will see female neighbours like them-women even girls that you can become friendly with and ask questions.

Goodluck.
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by mikijagga(m): 2:29pm On Feb 07, 2013
Zoe,

From your words, the guy is good. You probably see some great qualities about him which you have not informed us. Unfortunately, you may not be able to get a balanced opinion from people becuase you painted an insecured character. What are the "good" qualities you admire about him?? If your post had answered that question, we would have know his strenghts/weaknesses.

That said, personality and tempraments styles vary from people to people. Insecurity may be a result of an incident in the past which he needs to deal with. usually one may not be aware about this, that may continue to torment his self esteem.

Another very likely siyuation is how you address him. Do you call him names(foolish, stupid, mumu etc)?? whatever you call a "man" who's ego/self esteem is not very healthy is what he will become.

Like someone earlier maentioned, if you really like his "good" sides, then, try working on the insecurity, in words matched with actions. Call him a king, and that is what he will become.
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by mikijagga(m): 2:29pm On Feb 07, 2013
Zoe,

From your words, the guy is good. You probably see some great qualities about him which you have not informed us. Unfortunately, you may not be able to get a balanced opinion from people becuase you painted an insecured character. What are the "good" qualities you admire about him?? If your post had answered that question, we would have know his strenghts/weaknesses.

That said, personality and tempraments styles vary from people to people. Insecurity may be a result of an incident in the past which he needs to deal with. usually one may not be aware about this, that may continue to torment his self esteem.

Another very likely siyuation is how you address him. Do you call him names(foolish, stupid, mumu etc)?? whatever you call a "man" who's ego/self esteem is not very healthy is what he will become.

Like someone earlier maentioned, if you really like his "good" sides, then, try working on the insecurity, in words matched with actions. Call him a king, and that is what he will become.

1 Like

Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by ypzilanti: 2:29pm On Feb 07, 2013
How does one get good solid advice from a public forum that has all sorts of people in it? I don't know.

Anyway...you have married women as friends, right? Usually they know better...not the young blackberry wives of today, oh? And not the old grand mother types either (old school).

My suggestion is that a woman should never stay with a man that she does not RESPECT. It is the cause of 50% of all marital problems. Find a guy you look up to...not necessarily money wise, but someone you admire as a good solid human being with character.

2 Likes

Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by peclint: 2:36pm On Feb 07, 2013
@poster, you need to look at the 2 sides of the coin.
Why does he say this
1) is he insecure?
2) Do you give him reasons to say this because of your actions?
3) Is he the less aggressive type who views money as just a means and not necessarily fulfillment.
4) Is he looking for ways to break up with you without hurting you?

You have to figure this out yourself.

As personal examples:
I have a friend whose long term boyfriend broke up with her as she decided against his wish to go for a masters as he was yet to graduate (This is hearsay cos i don't wanna believe this). But honestly when i heard it, i was like the dude is an i.d.iot. I would gladly marry her if we were compatible.

I have also met girls who are high flyers, drive expensive cars and live expensive lifestyles, and we start chatting, they start mouthing off about their job and status and their lifestyles(in my mind, they are empty barrels), i just tune off , smile and continue my search , because in the long run, those things are inconsequential. Someone who doesn't know me, might say it is insecure, on the days i feel like having a laugh, i reel out my credentials, and you need to see how a high flyer mgbeke girl becomes humble.

When going into marriage, i believe that it doesn't matter who brings in the most money.
What matters is that you guys work hard and share what you have.
In the business world, you are just a tool, a number i see in my excel sheets and calculations.
no matter how far you fly, when the business doesn't need you, we throw you out.

What happens to you after you have chased these things and retired, then what next?
We need to look at old folks around us and learn

2 Likes

Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Feb 07, 2013
The worst decision any woman can take is marrying a man out of pity,marrying a man suffering from inferiority or superiority complex.when you dont feel right about one of the most important decisions in your life,then you have to slow down.think and pray again.dont let societal pressure push you into what will make yo bite your finger in regret.it might be a red light signal to stop and pray again.an ambitious womans spouse is supposed to be a go getter and someone that will spur you on to be the best you can be not someone wo will degrade you.marriage is supposed to be an enhancer of life's goals and success so miss look before you leap

2 Likes

Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Feb 07, 2013
zoelife: Been worried lately over this issue. He's a great guy, loving, kind and all. Yet time and time again the issue comes up if I'm still with him, or if there's someone somewhere who's probably doing better than him. Getting a little worked up over things I call 'trivial' like not knowing my friends(I'm not a crowd person. My friends are mostly married women. Or guys. That's me),etc.
Not that he's being unpleasant, but the thing here is, I'm wat u cld call an 'alpha female'. Ambitious, driven and visionary. These I think give him the 'not good enuff' feeling, plus the fact dat he's still a beginner(I'm not yet there either). Whenever he expresses such feelings, I feel him too and attimes wonder to myself, if truly there's someone better for me out there. I dunno.
i hope you know the lifespan for attractiveness and fertility is very short for women. you better grab and hold onto what you have before you look back in regret. God did not make women to be alpha females so either you are a tranny or you need to check yourself before you wreck yourself. there are millions of women like yourself who made the same decision you made to leave a guy because they felt there was something better out there, who are regretting letting their boo go because now they are in their thirties and no one wants them. dont be one of those to look back in nostalgia. a warning is enough for the wise

IN THE INFAMOUS WORDS OF A WISE MAN NAMED LUTHER VANDROSS >>>> IF YOU CANT GET THE ONE YOU WANT, LOVE THE ONE YOU ARE WITH.

1 Like

Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by Philolos: 2:59pm On Feb 07, 2013

Matching up with someone like you may not be perfect either. Your match may not provide a lasting relationship even if it progresses into a marriage. Again, I'm not suggesting that you settle for this person, but the grass as we know is always greener on the other side. Perhaps you are the leader in your relationship...there is nothing wrong with that. Especially if he lets you lead.
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by Michky: 3:01pm On Feb 07, 2013
BodyKiss:

Your success might not be the cause of his worries, but your response towards his feelings for you. Based on the quoted and bolded comments above, you're so not sure about this guy. You haven't made up your mind if you should stick with him, I think he's got good instincts.

FABULOUS!! The Op is very confused if you ask me. I think the dude (BF) suspects she might be trying to eat her cake and have it; and he's asking her to re-assure him that he's the only one in her life. Many ladies put young aspiring men through this ordeal and in the end, they want to get married to that same guy that they've probably ranked as 2nd or 3rd.
Yes, there are dudes that are anti-progress. Many guys on the other hand will like to see their chicks aspire and succeed.
OP, i think you're the cause of your present predicament. Not the guy. Your solution would be consistently re-assuring him of your faitfullness and proof of worth. If however you don't like him, move onto someone else and stick to that person only!
Best of luck.

#1VOICEINAMILLION#
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by heywhyho(f): 3:03pm On Feb 07, 2013
The relationship can't workout even if you give him the respect you will give ur father at home, if he his threatened by your status now there is no way there, forget about love and the fact that he didn't do anything wrong and face the reality. If u like let him be in control of ur income so that he will fill you like him, U are fooling urself, if he can't come up U don't have to go down in the name of love.

1 Like

Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by cherriex(f): 3:45pm On Feb 07, 2013
sexybash: the problem is that as time goes one he will no longer be comfortable with your success, and he either slows you down and you start to reason slowly like him or he will opt out, i once dated some one like that infact we did our introduction sef , he was an for that educated,but had low drive for success, i had to threaten him with break up then before e decided to leave his village, after sometime i realized if we got married i will be the man of the house, i broke up the engagement then there were so many things i wanted to do he will tel me they are white "elephant project" he starts to use phrases like we will all die, where are you taking all your certificate and assets to, the IQ of your partner in relationship matter alot either the man or woman grin
so my dear Zoe if you are a sucker for success you dont need pple like that around you.,marraige is a long term journey,the question you will ask yor self is that are you willing to trust him with your future?
I can't beliv some1 has same problem as me,we've done introductn bt I have to opt out.
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by kingcobra1(m): 3:47pm On Feb 07, 2013
@ops...wat makes u tink u r more adventurous n more financially driven than him....dat just needs ur encouragement...men r like dat...reassure him dats all...d guy is seeing u as a threat to his authority....he might even be considering leaving u sef..
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by chikeorji123(m): 3:53pm On Feb 07, 2013
Doncolio:

First of all,u need to realize the mistake u r making by seeking for help here on NL, coz no1 has d slightest clue of how loving or otherwise this guy is (be very careful in absorbing all u read. U r in the relationship coz u saw somfin knwn only to u.
Secondly, its obvious d guy loves u. Low or high self esteem, judging from ur comment above and you do in a way. But break up is very easy but d regret can be for a life time. Not every1 gets a 2nd chance.
Thirdly, most of d gurls on NL are mostly unmarried with a psychic of a mr. Have and know it all kind of mr. Right in mind. Some will grow old still looking for him (not a curse). But u have a man dats feeling insecure becoz of ur actions or in action. U r talking abt ur life so be careful in takin to advice wen u r in a relationship.
In my own opinion, work more on understanding ur guy and he's reasons for asking such a critical question. Help is self esteem by being more of a lover, help him build on his strong point and be more of his lady rather dan just an ambitious gurl.

Best comment so far..Op u better work on what u have or u regret it later..U think finding a man is easy? all these single ladies occupy N/L no let them see that ur guy otherwise u are dum!.
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by drnoel: 3:57pm On Feb 07, 2013

In as much as I do feel for u and ur guy, I would want to correct something or maybe I would say understand something u said better. U said u are an alpha female, please explain to us in clearer terms. I know u said alpha female (Ambitious, driven and visionary) but my question for u is, are u really one. Most people who call themselves alpha men and women are usually overbearing, arrogant, egocentric, self centred, selfish, emotionless and/or narcissitic about themselves. Do u fall into this category. Ask urself why ur own man always feels small arnd u. Do u overshadow him, do u suffocate him with what u feel u can achieve, do u make him feel less a man? He won't tell but will feel it. I don't believe in that alpha stuff bullshit. I only believe in what I see and ur comments makes me conclude u have one of the characters I mentioned before. If u want to keep ur relationship, u got to work on it, ur man and ur character.
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by biolabee(m): 4:21pm On Feb 07, 2013
good one dr noel

Whats the basis for assuming he has low self esteem
Some women wings are too wide for their own good
So because u are the driven type means ur cool bf is a failure

Relationships like this have worked for years
The question is do you respect him.
If not move on

If you do and he supports you in all your endeavors so why worry

Maybe in his heart he has seen inklings of pride and arrogance and is wondering...

1 Like

Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Feb 07, 2013
Xsolutions: From your posts,you have broken up with him in your mind,besides this is most likely not about you becoming more successful than him,but about him measuring up to your definition of success...
Everybody wants to be successful but we all have different views of success.From your posts,there is a missing file of communication based on finding common ground btw the both of you in terms of long term life goals.
And even if your guy had 'low Self esteem' issues,who told you it can't be fixedOr you think a woman is the only one who needs assurance concerning issues in a relationship
How do you know you are not the one who is supposed to edify him in this aspect of his life
Until you start cultivating the 'thinkings' of a wife;'Help-meet' before you get married,you will never be the wife you are supposed to be.
In conclusion...YOU already have a decision pending in your mind...you just want a sort of confirmation to enbolden you to carry it out.
Whatever you want to do...do it quickly and spare the man and even yourself some emotional turbulence.
Cheers...

1 Like

Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by Nuzo1(m): 4:54pm On Feb 07, 2013
peclint: @poster, you need to look at the 2 sides of the coin.
Why does he say this
1) is he insecure?
2) Do you give him reasons to say this because of your actions?
3) Is he the less aggressive type who views money as just a means and not necessarily fulfillment.
4) Is he looking for ways to break up with you without hurting you?

You have to figure this out yourself.

As personal examples:
I have a friend whose long term boyfriend broke up with her as she decided against his wish to go for a masters as he was yet to graduate (This is hearsay cos i don't wanna believe this). But honestly when i heard it, i was like the dude is an i.d.iot. I would gladly marry her if we were compatible.

I have also met girls who are high flyers, drive expensive cars and live expensive lifestyles, and we start chatting, they start mouthing off about their job and status and their lifestyles(in my mind, they are empty barrels), i just tune off , smile and continue my search , because in the long run, those things are inconsequential. Someone who doesn't know me, might say it is insecure, on the days i feel like having a laugh, i reel out my credentials, and you need to see how a high flyer mgbeke girl becomes humble.

When going into marriage, i believe that it doesn't matter who brings in the most money.
What matters is that you guys work hard and share what you have.
In the business world, you are just a tool, a number i see in my excel sheets and calculations.
no matter how far you fly, when the business doesn't need you, it throw you out.

1 Like

Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by Shinatu: 4:59pm On Feb 07, 2013
I hear people say, 'massage his ego', 'reassure him' encourage him etc.

My dear, you may end up doing that for the rest of your life, you may have to keep on assuring and assuring, untill you ger irritated.

What other wives can say to their successful/'alpha male' husbands during the usual marriage quarells and get away with or get disregarded must not come out of your own mouth.

So like someone righly mentioned, think about it, it may also mean that you may never find the 'suitable' one and get to be 50years old in your father's house, that may be a suicide mission in a Nigerian society.

It may come to settling for the better (to you) of two evils.
That's why you see some ladies and cannot stop wondering what they saw in the men they married, because you cannot see any value the guy is adding to her life than the Mrs. status he has given to her!

2 Likes

Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by soloyes(m): 5:36pm On Feb 07, 2013
zoelife: @irguru, sexybash and godmother: he has no doubts about he being the man in the relationship.
The contention here is- what do I do about it? Is there anything I can do to help how he feels. Or do I remove my commitment and look out for that someone bigger. Like irguru? grin
U can actually help him by constantly reassuring him dat there is no other. Almost every guy has that fear but most especially those that have been ditched by gals b4 and in most cases it has nothing to do with their self esteem. Just like gals and even some guys always check themselves out with the feeling that they have eyes on them, so does every guy/gal feel insecure when he has a bf/gf that is gud looking so just continue reassuring and giving him more reasons 2 trust u.
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Feb 07, 2013
Men are seriously endangered with these crop of uber-agressive girls(alpha females/trannys, like obadiah said, lol) all over the place. 'Hustlers' they call thenselves now. Smh.
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 07, 2013
Wow! Tks all for your opinions.
I think I'm beginning to appreciate my man more now. Thanks to @Ajanlekoko: Our diversity shd be our strenghts
@Harddon: A macho man? For a partner? Trust me, it can't be wat I need. Been there twice, from home and in a rltnshp.Pain unhindered.
And
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Feb 07, 2013
Wow! Thanks house for you opinions.beginning to appreciate my man better.
@ Ajanlekoko:U jst made me feel normal. Opposites do attract and need to stick together.
@Harddon:A macho man and an alpha female? Trust me, I've been there twice, while growing up and in a rltnshp. Pain unhindered. I knw better dan to need such again.
Those who feel I'm jst advertising? Not exactly my intention.just decided to always choose d best. And right now, can't see anyone berra.

And now that dis post gat sum attention, pardon me, but pls mods, friends, why do my posts not show up on the Adverts section. Or am I doing something wrong?
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by CHIMSKY(m): 6:16pm On Feb 07, 2013
I wonder why men bother about these things.I am married and I am too busy trying to keep the family afloat to worry that my wife will get ahead of me.She is a civil servant and I have told her that I will be very proud to tell people that I am married to a Director/Perm. Sec.
Likewise I have told her that I am ambitious and if something really big comes up,I will first seize the opportunity.The important thing is that the family makes progress.
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by DonaldGenes(m): 6:18pm On Feb 07, 2013
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiighs!!!!! @Op
I don't really know what you really desire of your man,For christ sake,that's the nature of the man,You can't change him,so far he toasted you and you succintly agreed,why complain of him not doing this and that,unless there is something underhanded which you ain't opening up,if it's because you wanna break up with him 'cos of that unseeming reasons..then do so but you might prolly regret in the long run..if he is faithful to you which is the highest display of affection to a woman yet you still complaining,then you can leave him and go for dangotte then,what I'm intuitively seeing smacks of ego,but don't do make decisions you will reget "ohh had I know"
"Case closed"
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by DExplorer1: 6:26pm On Feb 07, 2013
Shinatu: I hear people say, 'massage his ego', 'reassure him' encourage him etc.

My dear, you may end up doing that for the rest of your life, you may have to keep on assuring and assuring, untill you ger irritated.

What other wives can say to their successful/'alpha male' husbands during the usual marriage quarells and get away with or get disregarded must not come out of your own mouth.

So like someone righly mentioned, think about it, it may also mean that you may never find the 'suitable' one and get to be 50years old in your father's house, that may be a suicide mission in a Nigerian society.

It may come to settling for the better (to you) of two evils.
That's why you see some ladies and cannot stop wondering what they saw in the men they married, because you cannot see any value the guy is adding to her life than the Mrs. status he has given to her!
I endorse this post!
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by GboyegaD(m): 6:36pm On Feb 07, 2013
zoelife: 1. He hasn't done me any wrong. He just kindly expressed how he feels.
2. Are there bigger men willing to accomodate and support ambitious women like me and not stifle me?
This is my major concern. Maybe my background is a major pointer. But if u knw decent guys like u describe I wldnt mind.

Have you ever tried to help drive his ambition? I believe some people particularly in Nigeria because of the constraint that was placed on success in our various communities have been tied to some mediocre level of thought and therefore, need external force to drive them. Try that and if you notice he is just the extremely laid back type then you can decide what to do with the relationship.
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by DonaldGenes(m): 6:45pm On Feb 07, 2013
You think say to find a faithful man is easy..then you better check the statistic ratio of men to women:30:70
Then you do the math!
Re: When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? by juleze(f): 7:34pm On Feb 07, 2013
BoboYekini: Men are seriously endangered with these crop of uber-agressive girls(alpha females/trannys, like obadiah said, lol) all over the place. 'Hustlers' they call thenselves now. Smh.
Ladies want men that have money, Nigerian men complain; now ladies are wanting and making their own money by working hard and Nigerian men have started complaining.
Are you born to complain?
What can satisfy these (majority cuz not all of them are like this) Nigerian men?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Should I Accommodate A Distressed Married Woman In My House? / 12 Ways To Hook A Husband On Nairaland / Ladies: Whenever You Catch Your Guy Cheating On U. Do This (PIX)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.