Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,235 members, 7,846,103 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

Travelling To Canada - Travel (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada (455922 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (189) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada by Fhemmmy: 7:00pm On Jul 17, 2010
Hotstepper:

@lanresz, I understand those special cases for sure but def. not if the person is an international student. International Students in Canada are only allowed to work on campus until after completing one year with academic standing. There is no way an int. student will come in and within 3 days get SIN Card or does immigration policy for int. students apply differently for peeps depending on the province?

You do have time to drag things with some people.
There are some issues that once you have given the honest answer and some people wanna come and say things the way it is not, you just watch and hope the person that needed the info will be able to differentiate.
debosky:

Lol . . . . . And you know for sure that someone can get a SIN number even though they are International student?
Sir, try to check info well before giving advice, so that people wont be mislead
Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 10:13pm On Jul 17, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Lol . . . . . And you know for sure that someone can get a SIN number even though they are International student?
Sir, try to check info well before giving advice, so that people wont be mislead

'Sir' I was an international student in 2006 and I got a SIN number 3 days after I arrived, precisely 6th January 2006 in Vancouver BC, I still have the document right here with me. Unless the rules have changed, I am not misleading anyone but speaking from personal experience.

Hotstepper:

@lanresz, I understand those special cases for sure but def. not if the person is an international student. International Students in Canada are only allowed to work on campus until after completing one year with academic standing. There is no way an int. student will come in and within 3 days get SIN Card or does immigration policy for int. students apply differently for peeps depending on the province?

I worked on campus and got a SIN number with my department. Again, if the rules have not changed since '06, then you CAN get a SIN card as an International student days after you arrive.
Re: Travelling To Canada by shilling(f): 10:29pm On Jul 18, 2010
debosky:

'Sir' I was an international student in 2006 and I got a SIN number 3 days after I arrived, precisely 6th January 2006 in Vancouver BC, I still have the document right here with me. Unless the rules have changed, I am not misleading anyone but speaking from personal experience.
Same here, we got ours a few days after we arrived. That was ages ago, but we were PR then. I know someone who just arrived in Victoria last week, they got theirs 2 days after the arrived.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 11:03pm On Jul 18, 2010
debosky:

Secondly, since you have a single entry visa, you'd struggle to get another entry visa from naija without showing evidence that you'd been attending school. You can apply from Canada, but I think it takes a while to get it. On the other hand, if you were really intent on doing so, you could go to Buffalo, USA and apply in person to collect it the same day. The issue is that you must have a US visa to be able to do so.

All in all, it will be very complicated to do in just 3 weeks.

@debosky; would you suggest it'd be safer to not travel at all. 'Cos it seems this plan to land, visit briefly and return to Naija without actually schooling might jeopardize future visa applications.

Also Hotstepper stated that int'l students are only allowed to work off-campus after one full academic year? But according to current inform on CIC website, you MAY be allowed to work after your first six months as a student.
Re: Travelling To Canada by shilling(f): 11:18pm On Jul 18, 2010
Rare:

Also Hotstepper stated that int'l students are only allowed to work off-campus after one full academic year? But according to current inform on CIC website, you MAY be allowed to work after your first six months as a student.

I believe every case is treated different. If your case is evaluated, and it appears that you're facing hard times economically, you may be allowed to work outside even before a year is up!!
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 1:24am On Jul 19, 2010
@Rare, we r saying the same thing. Technically, a full academic year is 6 months
@Shilling, u got yours after 3 days cuz you have your PR but as for International students, it is never evaluated differently, After all, Int. students by virtue of things should have enough money 2 support themselves. In worst cases, schools normally have emergency bursaries for international students just like in my school
Re: Travelling To Canada by bomata: 10:16am On Jul 19, 2010
Hello,

Please does anyone know about this proffessional body.  (Chartered Association of Business Administrators-Canada)

i saw an advert in the news paper,placed by the nigeria representative that there will be a workshop July 24th 2010 for people(graduates with yrs of experience)

who are intrested to become a member of the body.

the workshop fees is N40,000 and after payment of N140,000 for the membership.

Please does anybody have idea if it is a registered proffessional body in canada,they also claim is registered with US Government.

I need help before i will go and blow money.

i will attach the advert tommorrow.

Thank you

http://www.charteredaba.org/

http://www.charteredaba.org/pdf/new_caba_brochure.pdf
Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 1:38pm On Jul 19, 2010
Hotstepper:

@Rare, we r saying the same thing. Technically, a full academic year is 6 months
@Shilling, u got yours after 3 days cuz you have your PR but as for International students, it is never evaluated differently, After all, Int. students by virtue of things should have enough money 2 support themselves. In worst cases, schools normally have emergency bursaries for international students just like in my school

I wasn't PR then - I was still an international student in 2006. Like I said, it may depend on the personal circumstances i.e if you have a job with your academic department (e.g. research assistant, teaching assistant or the likes). But please don't say it isn't possible to get a SIN number in 3 days - I did it and it was nothing exceptional.

Rare:

@debosky; would you suggest[b] it'd be safer to not travel at all[/b]. 'Cos it seems this plan to land, visit briefly and return to Naija without actually schooling might jeopardize future visa applications.

Precisely - Do not seek short term gain at the risk of future visa issues.

The worst that'll happen is that you'll have an unused visa, and you can simply tell the CDHC you changed your mind. If, however, you get marked as someone who gained a visa under false pretences (i.e. not to study) it is not going to do you any good.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 2:10pm On Jul 19, 2010
@debosky, Ic, In that case, was the SIN just for the school job or for outside as well?
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 2:30pm On Jul 19, 2010
Folks, you may not be eligible for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) few days after you arrive as an INTERNATIONAL student on a STUDY PERMIT. This rule applies mostly to undergrads (and grad) students. As a graduate student, you may be offered Teaching Asst or Research Asst positions. With that, you can get a SIN.

For those that do not know, SINs are issued in cases where you have to earn money for Tax purposes and other Social Services. Up till 2005/6 (can't remember), you just had to show up with your study permit and you were issued a SIN (without an expiry date). However, alot of int'l students were breaking the rules (working off campus) since they had SINs (as no employer can pay you legitly without a SIN); my guess is that a way to curb this issue was to issue SIN to students with work permits and students that had jobs in universities. That's why if your SIN starts with a "9", it now comes with an expiry date (which either denotes the end of your work permit or study permit or your contract job). If are a student and you do not have either (or both), there's no way you'd get a SIN today.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 2:40pm On Jul 19, 2010
ucheawesom:

Pls all,
I am in the process of applying for tha Canada permanent residency for someone right now.
we have arranged for the Language test.
Now my questions are:

she is a nurse (RN) trained in Nigeria.Has been working in that capacity for close to two years now.
Which category of the application shld i apply(federal skilled or highly skilled) category?

I read from the canada website that they accept a maximum of 20000 application per year and select a maximum of 1000 per occupation in the federal skilled category.
Now i want to ask is there any a particular time that one needs to apply in order to meet up with this maximum limit of application to be accepted?

I will appreciate your contribution.
There's nothing like Highly skilled. The program is a "Federal Skilled" Program; that's what you are probably referring to.

You probably want to apply asap. The cap was only introduced on the 26th of June and will run till 25th June next year. The earlier the better for you. Goodluck!
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 2:51pm On Jul 19, 2010
@chamber2, Am still in Naija

I wanted to inquire if this scenario is possible.

A friend and I, due in Ualberta, are still trying to acquire study leave approvals at our workplaces. Already have entry visa.

Is it possible that we 'land' in Canada this Fall; enroll as students; acheive activities such as SIN and bank account openings, possibly residency and acclimitazation (total duration of 3 weeks). After that request a defer of studies till Winter or next Fall, travel back to Naija and return to commence studies after concluding with employers.

This allows to avoid not 'landing' and having to go through entire student visa processing again. Also having in mind that possible 2-year studey permit to be issued at port of entry would still be valid by time of re-entry.
---------------------------------------------

@Rare, are your landing? Or are you coming in as a student?

Landing usually refers to Permanent Residents arriving (landing) Canada for the "first" time.

Based on your other posts, you are likely a student coming in with a single entry Visa. What I would do is, as soon as you arrive, apply to Buffalo for a multiple TRV by post (it will be a tall order to even get an appointment for a US Visa, and I doubt they'd even grant you one since you just came in; not impossible tho). It usually takes about 2-3 wks by post. You can give them any reason like you plan to travel to Nigeria for christmas break, etc. That way, when you leave Canada, you can return. If you make the mistake of flying back to Lagos, you will have to reapply to CHDC, Lagos. With a study permit (which you will get when you first arrive), it may be alot easier since you wont have to go thru medicals, etc but those people in Lagos defy all forms of logic and common sense. You can probably open a bank account as alot of banks come on campus during the first couple weeks of the session to "catch" new customers otherwise you may need to book an appointment etc; I do not think you will be able to get a SIN because you do not have a work permit and you are not eligible for one unless you have a job with your university. 3 wks is possible to get yourself sorted but that's really pushing it. Do you have accommodation sorted? You probably already paid part of your tuition. To get a full refund, you have to apply within a certain date. Sometimes, some institutions may refuse to make any refunds (especially the first year) because they vouched for you when the embassy contacted them. These are things you have to sort out. Goodluck!
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 2:52pm On Jul 19, 2010
Delta007, thank you so much. Once your study permit expires, the SIN also expire, I know a lot of Int. students take advantage of some things nd end of screwing it for the rest
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 2:55pm On Jul 19, 2010
@Delta007, It is possible he can get a full tuition refund as far as he did not attend any class, well I know with my school though
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 3:02pm On Jul 19, 2010
Hotstepper:

@Delta007, It is possible he can get a full tuition refund as far as he did not attend any class, well I know with my school though
Like I said, it depends on the institution. Some, it may not be a biggie as far as you withdraw before the deadline. Others, they wont even answer you because as far as they are concerned, they helped you get your Visa and they literally vouched for you that you have paid your fees and you'd be taking classes within that year. Now after getting the Visa, you are telling them, "No, I'm not going to be attending classes; I just used you folks to come to Canada; give me back my money". Get the drift?
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 3:07pm On Jul 19, 2010
LOL, that is so hilarious, Dont' blame them jare
Re: Travelling To Canada by 99dreamkid: 3:29pm On Jul 19, 2010
To Delta, debosky, wonderbod, hotstepper and all those who were given study permits by d CDHC,

Please how long was d interval between when u applied for the permit to when u were called to do the medical? And is there a longer delay during the fall session? I am asking cos its been about 32 working days since I applied for my permit and still no info from them. I sent them an e-mail and they said it takes 3 months to process and so I'm wondering if the 3 months limit is for the entire process (i.e application, medicals and issuance of permit) or just the interval between application and the call for medical. Cos if its the latter, them I'm surely screwed as i wont make it in time for classes and my program only has a fall start date and as such deferral will have to be for next year. So guys please help me out with ur timelines cos I am freaking out here.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 3:39pm On Jul 19, 2010
@99dreamkid, time line is different for every1. I know my cousin was worried last year too but after his medicals, he was not called for an interview and his visa was given to him. So each case is different nd since they know when fall semester starts, you will hear from them. Which school are you going to? 1st week of school is always more of introduction by profs, buying of books etc and even till 3rd week, you can still catch up as people are still dropping and enrolling in courses, Good luck
Re: Travelling To Canada by Fhemmmy: 7:22pm On Jul 19, 2010
Chief Debosky . . . . The SIN that you got, was it good for working on campus or anywhere?
debosky:

I worked on campus and got a SIN number with my department. Again, if the rules have not changed since '06, then you CAN get a SIN card as an International student days after you arrive.

Sir, If you noticed, i am not a man of many words.
So heard you
Re: Travelling To Canada by 99dreamkid: 7:34pm On Jul 19, 2010
@ hotstepper, thanks 4 d response. I will be going to Simon Fraser University for an MPH. My headache is dat they havent even called to ask for medical and stuff. And on d admission letter from d skool it says dat d date of last registration is d 19th of September, although d resumption date is on the 7th. I guess dat means I should be in d country and should have registered by then. Anyways, wetin pesin go do? Na just to wait and pray. I'm just hoping it all turns out fine. Thanks 4 listening and good luck with your studies.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 7:48pm On Jul 19, 2010
@99dreamkid, you mean last date to enroll in courses in on da 19th? you should be able to enroll in classes even if you are in Nigeria
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 8:17pm On Jul 19, 2010
99dreamkid:

@ hotstepper, thanks 4 d response. I will be going to Simon Fraser University for an MPH. My headache is dat they havent even called to ask for medical and stuff. And on d admission letter from d skool it says dat d date of last registration is d 19th of September, although d resumption date is on the 7th. I guess dat means I should be in d country and should have registered by then. Anyways, wetin pesin go do? Na just to wait and pray. I'm just hoping it all turns out fine. Thanks 4 listening and good luck with your studies.
Registration is not usually a problem for most Canadian institutions. You should be able to register online (from Nigeria).

When did you submit your Visa application?
Re: Travelling To Canada by 99dreamkid: 10:59am On Jul 20, 2010
Delta007:

Registration is not usually a problem for most Canadian institutions. You should be able to register online (from Nigeria).

When did you submit your Visa application?

Delta,
Thanks for d heads-up. I just thought d registration process has to be don in person. I sent my application via DHL on the 1st of June and it was delivered at d Lagos office on the 2nd. I just hope they wont ask me to get a deferral cos they wont have enough time to process it. Cheers man.
Re: Travelling To Canada by sophy09: 8:07pm On Jul 20, 2010
Don't give people false information about Canada. It is not possible to get a SIN within 3 days of coming into Canada

as an international student. Definitely there are circumstances surrounding your getting "YOUR SIN" within 3days. It

maybe when you were filling your form you said you were going to work in Canada. Even if you are working as a

research assistant in your school you are within the school premises and you can work on campus without SIN. Be

careful what you tell people cause many will come with the hope of getting a job while they study and it is not as easy

as they all claim. Just bring enough money that will see you through the months before you can apply for a work

permit and a job.
Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 8:41pm On Jul 20, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Chief Debosky . . . . The SIN that you got, was it good for working on campus or anywhere?

Oga Fhemmy - have you heard of SIN numbers restricting working location? Work Permits do that, not SIN numbers.

sophy09:

Don't give people false information about Canada. It is not possible to get a SIN within 3 days of coming into Canada

as an international student. Definitely there are circumstances surrounding your getting "YOUR SIN" within 3days. It

maybe when you were filling your form you said you were going to work in Canada. Even if you are working as a

research assistant in your school you are within the school premises and you can work on campus without SIN.

Whatever the 'circumstances' were, it IS possible, since I personally got one. I have not said the individual in question can get one, but it IS possible. I was a research assistant and teaching assistant, and I got a SIN three days after entry - SIMPLE. Why keep arguing against clear evidence?

Be careful what you tell people cause many will come with the hope of getting a job while they study and it is not as easy

as they all claim. Just bring enough money that will see you through the months before you can apply for a work

permit and a job.

Note I have said little or nothing about getting work - this is about whether one can get a SIN number soon after arrival, and it is possible. That said, the teaching assistant job I got was secured before leaving Nigeria, so again it IS possible.
Re: Travelling To Canada by sophy09: 2:14am On Jul 21, 2010
That said you just explained yourself. You applied for a teaching job before leaving Nigeria which qualified you to apply for a SIN. "FULL STOP"

The reason why I insist you state the circumstance is that most people in Nigeria do not know anything about Canadian immigration law. Although there is a website which states every information clearly for people to know how to go about it but most Nigerian don't. I understand the stress and the anxiety most of them through. That is why if you want to pass out information to people clearly state you information and the circumstances.
Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 11:25am On Jul 21, 2010
^^

Thanks for the clarification. To conclude, getting a SIN card as an international student is dependent on your circumstances. If you are receiving income from working from a University from day one, you CAN apply for a SIN card immediately you arrive. If not, and you intend to work offcampus, you will need to wait for at least 6 months before applying for a SIN card.
Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 11:29am On Jul 21, 2010
@99dreamkid,

I'd suggest you keep calling the CDHC explaining when your resumption date is. If by middle of August you don't get called for medicals by mid August, just defer your admission.

The CDHC can be quite whimsical in their approach at times - I remember having to go to the CDHC after my medicals to complain about delays. Only when I went in did they say they had some issues confirming my undergraduate transcripts, but even at that I got my entry visa issued that day.

If there is anything to be learned from my experience, be proactive. Don't wait around expecting them to call you, but keep making your enquiries till you get a response.
Re: Travelling To Canada by 99dreamkid: 3:22pm On Jul 21, 2010
debosky:

@99dreamkid,

I'd suggest you keep calling the CDHC explaining when your resumption date is. If by middle of August you don't get called for medicals by mid August, just defer your admission.

The CDHC can be quite whimsical in their approach at times - I remember having to go to the CDHC after my medicals to complain about delays. Only when I went in did they say they had some issues confirming my undergraduate transcripts, but even at that I got my entry visa issued that day.

If there is anything to be learned from my experience, be proactive. Don't wait around expecting them to call you, but keep making your enquiries till you get a response.

Thanks debosky. I will start calling them often and sending e-mails. U have been really helpful and I thank u for dat. I will keep u updated on how it goes.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Fhemmmy: 9:24pm On Jul 21, 2010
debosky:

Oga Fhemmy - have you heard of SIN numbers restricting working location? Work Permits do that, not SIN numbers.

Whatever the 'circumstances' were, it IS possible, since I personally got one. I have not said the individual in question can get one, but it IS possible. I was a research assistant and teaching assistant, and I got a SIN three days after entry - SIMPLE. Why keep arguing against clear evidence?

Note I have said little or nothing about getting work - this is about whether one can get a SIN number soon after arrival, and it is possible. That said, the teaching assistant job I got was secured before leaving Nigeria, so again it IS possible.

Permit makes your number fall under some categories Sir.
Are you aware that when a particular number is the first number on the SIN, it signifies something and employers knows that?
I am sure you are aware of that.

So i am sure you know i am not saying it is the number that will limit where you can work, but the kinda number that starts your SIN will indicate where you can work or if you could work at all.
Re: Travelling To Canada by 99dreamkid: 6:51am On Jul 22, 2010
Hi guys,
Please can someone provide me with a functional CDHC phone number. The numbers I got from their website- 012622512/13/15 didn't go through. Thanks in advance.
Re: Travelling To Canada by marcar(m): 9:43am On Jul 22, 2010
99dreamkid:

Hi guys,
Please can someone provide me with a functional CDHC phone number. The numbers I got from their website- 012622512/13/15 didn't go through. Thanks in advance.

I will advice you go to CDHC in person and fill the request form

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (189)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.