Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,656 members, 7,820,287 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Travelling To Canada - Travel (64) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada (454701 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (189) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 1:09pm On Aug 13, 2010
deneks4:

@rare, do u know anyone who applied in later than june 4th and has a response yet, i mean any response, either negative or positive, cuz everybody seems to be on hold, i even saw someone who told me they don't do medicals no more.

@Deneks4; the 90-day recommendation is barely sufficient. In my case, I got issuance about 12 days extra. So I suppose any moment from now, you'll hear from them. I felt same way too. But they always replied my email queries usually with 6-7 working days.

When I got my TRV, school session was already a week old and I was yet to resign my job, so I complained to CDHC and they offerred me a new visa (and cancelled first one at no cost and no re-examination of medicals) after asking me to present new admission letter, which I got from defer request.

From my experience, I'd advise applicant to apply 120 days prior to school start date, if possible
Re: Travelling To Canada by lanresz(m): 5:24pm On Aug 13, 2010
Bobobabe and Rare which department will you be in UofA?
Re: Travelling To Canada by buchy321(m): 7:06pm On Aug 13, 2010
Hello everyone,
My student visa was finally issued today after 30 working days of my medicals.
Like Debosky suggested, i had to pay CDHC visits on a daily basis. It was just yesterday that d guards let me fill a request form (state ur school start date, intended day of travel, date of ur medicals and file number) and after waitin for 2hrs, i was asked to come back today.
They actually assumed that my school start date was in september.
To Rodolpho and others with similar issues, go to the CDHC.
NB The guards may try to discourage you but insist politely.
Thanks to all nairalanders, your contributions helped me.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 8:46pm On Aug 13, 2010
lanresz:

Bobobabe and Rare which department will you be in UofA?

@lanresz; mine is electrical & computer engineering
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 2:20am On Aug 14, 2010
@buchy321, Congrats and told you that you will get it. Also, I told you that I was unfamiliar with this your school's start date. All the same, journey mercies and enjoy your stay.
Re: Travelling To Canada by folanusi(m): 2:27am On Aug 14, 2010
@ hotstepper

Are u an expert on imigration matters?
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 5:02am On Aug 14, 2010
@folanusi, I am not per se but I am knowledgeabe about it, at least, I did it in school tongue
Re: Travelling To Canada by folanusi(m): 3:28pm On Aug 14, 2010
@ Hotstepper

ok
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 9:50pm On Aug 14, 2010
shocked
Re: Travelling To Canada by deneks4: 11:14am On Aug 16, 2010
99dreamkid:

Hello people,
I've been out for a while. Hope every one is doing great. I am still waiting for a response from them since my medicals- its been two weeks now.

@ deneks 4, when i went for my medicals two weeks ago, I met someone who submitted on the 8th of June and he was there for his medicals as well. Maybe u should try calling them and sending e-mails. Better still, u can go to their office to find out what is slowing things down cos fall term is around d corner. Best of luck.

ehn but my issue is why have they not taken a decision since, y?
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 11:54am On Aug 16, 2010
HELLO GOOD PEOPLE,
PLEASE REVIEW THIS MESSAGE I GOT FROM A COLLEAGUE OF MINE PURSUING STUDIES IN UK. HE SENT THE FOLLOWING RECOMMENDATIONS AS "COST-SAVING" MEASURES FOR NIGERIAN GRADUATE STUDENTS COMING TO UK.
SEE HOW THEY COMPARE TO CANADA, AND COMMENT. THANKS (it's quite long ohhh !!)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: CA preparations
1. Enough Jeans (better Jeans cost for there o! If you can buy/bring like Ten (10) sef), hahha

The truth is that when you reach here, common $10 go be like 1million naira for your eye, so just buy/bring enough jeans so that you won’t have to worry about changing your wardrobe in a long time.

2. You may not need normal trousers here buy still carry like 2 or 3 normal trousers (because cana is really cold)

The truth is that nor be everyday person dey wear jeans sef, wetin!!! Person suppose wear regular trousers go church or go class at times even if cold dey,

3. You should also come with like 2 suits complete with tie, if you have already, some of your courses will require that you do presentation. Na jeans you go wear do am? Nah,

4. Now some shoes. I cant tell you how many but the whole idea is to reduce the amount of money you spend when you get here, if you can buy one of those strong Timberland, then trainers, joggers, normal shoes. Bring like 2 or 3 belts as well

5. Buy Toothpaste (if possible 6), toothbrush (a pack of 12), perfumes, bathing and washing soap ( a pack of 12 each), powder, Pomade (6 or more)

The whole idea is to make sure you don’t spend money when you arrive there! These basic things are very expensive o, except your Papa na Ibori or Obasanjo when get money anyhow,

6. Buy Jackets o, the leather one and the one with fur (if u see). You can go to where they sell okrika and get some good ones (nor let anybody deceive you say u go buy for there o, yes, you will still buy but na winter dey come so. also buy like two Sweaters-very thick ones, you will need to even wear the sweaters and jackets from Nigeria to the CANADA.

7. Buy hand gloves, like 3 or so, thick leather or cloth ones, buy like two head gear (if they sell them in Nigeria).

8. Bring some shirts, don’t worry about buying expensive shirts cos the cold too much sef, you go still wear jacket cover the shirt, but bring all the shirts you can bring, even if you go buy shirts here, that will be later, abi you go naked before then?

9. Food Stuffs:

9.1 Ground pepper

9.2 Ground crayfish

9.3 Ground pepper soup spices

9.4 Ground melon (reasonable quantity to last like three months-hahaha)

9.5 Dried Bitter leaf, Salt (just that small packet), maggi (small packet), tin tomatoes (12), dried okro, dried ogbono, indomie(maybe a cartoon). DONT BUY MILK (they may sieze it at the airport because its a diary product and they have alot of diary product here). If you must buy milk and bournvita, then buy those packet ones and put in your laptop bag.( They don’t physically check the laptop bag so you may succeed with it )

9.6 Buy rice, garri and beans (you may not believe it, but this will save you a lot of money cos these things are very expensive here, so you have to settle down first, start doing some part time work and earning DOLLARS before you can be buying those stuffs there)

10. Finally bring all your documents, your secondary school results, your university results/transcripts, all your employment letters, promotion letters, birth certificates, etc (na relocate you dey relocate so, so come with EVERY!!!!)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada by bobobabe: 2:09pm On Aug 16, 2010
@ rare: i will be at computer & electrical dept too. i will be leaving naija by sept 2nd.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 2:43pm On Aug 16, 2010
bobobabe:

@ rare: i will be at computer & electrical dept too. i will be leaving naija by sept 2nd.

@bobobabe
Am leaving 26th Aug. Will be at Toronto to see a friend for 2 days. Will arrive Edmonton 29th Aug.
Have you arranged your accommodation ? Can we chat/talk on Yahoo! or Skype ?
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 2:50pm On Aug 16, 2010
@bobobabe;
Is your program in the dept MEng (taught) or MSc (research) ?
Re: Travelling To Canada by 99dreamkid: 4:00pm On Aug 16, 2010
My people, e don happen 4 me O!
I just received my study permit approval with d rest of my documents dis afternoon. I thank God everything worked out fine. I especially thank everyone on this forum that has shared experiences, offered helpful tips and all. B4 i used this thread as my major source of info when preparing my application. I read d whole fifty something pages (then it was in the 50's and dated back to abt 2008) more than twice- word for word and with a pen in hand, to figure out what and what not to do. To Delta, wonderbod, ezinwanne, debosky, hotstepper and so many others who shared their experiences, I say thank you. I will put up d documents I sent soonest with details on how i prepared my application. Thanks and good luck to us all.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 4:02pm On Aug 16, 2010
@Rare, we will be waiting for u in TDOT tongue Abeg, bring sumthing for us ooo, Gala will do, lol
Re: Travelling To Canada by lanresz(m): 4:06pm On Aug 16, 2010
@Rare and Debo, Edmonton will be waiting for you. Hope we hook up some time after you arrive. If you need any help like being picked up at the airport please let me know.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 4:11pm On Aug 16, 2010
@99dreamkid BIG CONGRATS, I told you that you will get it, YAYYY, more good news.
Remind me of the school you will be attending again? I am so happy like na me get the visa sef
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 4:12pm On Aug 16, 2010
@lanresz, datz so nice of you, I love my Naija people embarassed
Re: Travelling To Canada by lanresz(m): 4:35pm On Aug 16, 2010
When I arrived in Canada someone offered the same service to me. Why not do the same to others?
Re: Travelling To Canada by symbian03(m): 4:52pm On Aug 16, 2010
@2010dreamkid big congrats:-) it has really happened to you lol. Wishing you all the best :-d . @lanres nice of yo.
Re: Travelling To Canada by deneks4: 6:30pm On Aug 16, 2010
Hotstepper:

@99dreamkid BIG CONGRATS, I told you that you will get it, YAYYY, more good news.
Remind me of the school you will be attending again? I am so happy like na me get the visa sef

hotstepper e be like say u be the man now o, i beg, tell me the same now, i don tire to dey wait o, right now, i don evenb lose hope sef
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 7:13pm On Aug 16, 2010
Hotstepper:

@Rare, we will be waiting for u in TDOT tongue Abeg, bring sumthing for us ooo, Gala will do, lol
@Hotstepper, u in Toronto? A undergrad mate of mine (working in RIM) feels like showing me round a bit. Says if I get into school (Edmonton) directly; I'd be so tied up and no time. Gives me the impression down Alberta is less livelier than where he's at in Toronto.

lanresz:

@Rare and Debo, Edmonton will be waiting for you. Hope we hook up some time after you arrive. If you need any help like being picked up at the airport please let me know.
@Lanresz; can you really do that for me? I would be so glad I tell you. Am due there on the 29th Aug. How do we arrange this?
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 8:12pm On Aug 16, 2010
@Rare, yes I am in Toronto ooo, which skool is ur friend? well skool here is no joke so hez right as once u begin, no time
Re: Travelling To Canada by lanresz(m): 8:22pm On Aug 16, 2010
@Rare dat will not be a problem. What time to you arrive?
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 8:27pm On Aug 16, 2010
@All

Congratulation to all you  guys that just got their  entry permit. I am very happy for you guys. Rare, Boobo, 2010dreamkid, I just got back on net today after sometime , when I come log to nairaland come dey read all the good news na so I come dey shout so te my sister think say na me don get Visa, My brothers I happy for u na well well.

2010deamkid, you no say I don tell you say na your year bi dis, Please tell  me where we go pop the shayoo!  congrat  oooo

I wish all of you guys safe trip to Canada, and please may you na follow Rare write up about want to take along, May you na go safe, we too go join una soon for  Winter by God Grace,
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 8:40pm On Aug 16, 2010
@lanresz

Nice one brother, Just watin I dey tell my peps somedays ago say good Nigeria still plenty. And you are just an example of one! keep it up my good freind!
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 5:23am On Aug 17, 2010
Guess who is me from da pix tongue
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 8:19am On Aug 17, 2010
@Hotstepper

I know who you are, you are the one with white and black sweat shirt with a dark glasses on.

I know you well well. You look hoty!
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 8:57am On Aug 17, 2010
lanresz:

@Rare dat will not be a problem. What time to you arrive?

@lanresz; Once I confirm, I'll get across to you. Thanks.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hubcool: 8:59am On Aug 17, 2010
Wow, I didn't know that many person were going to Canada! :O

I'm in Canada right now, anyonw going to Québec?
[img]http://s04.flagcounter.com/count/JPIn/bg=FFFFFF/txt=FFFFFF/border=FFFFFF/columns=1/maxflags=1/viewers=3/labels=0/pageview=0[/img]
Re: Travelling To Canada by Hotstepper(f): 1:18pm On Aug 17, 2010
@Hubcool, where in Quebec? Montreal?
@charlie, correct, where r u?

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (189)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.