Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,807 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

The Cowardice Of Atheism - Religion (76) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Cowardice Of Atheism (65120 Views)

The Glamour Of Atheism / FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) / Myopia Of Atheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 24, 2013
Honestly i still wish to know from the theists why they reject the thousands of gods that are being worshipped,zeus,poseidon,amadioha etc.what exactly are your reasons for rejecting these and accepting the god you worship?
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Oduduwaboy(m): 5:56pm On Nov 24, 2013
Mr.Rothstein:
Honestly i still wish to know from the theists why they reject the thousands of gods that are being worshipped,zeus,poseidon,amadioha etc.what exactly are your reasons for rejecting these and accepting the god you
worship?

good point joor .

Don't forget too that in Yorubaland Sopona used to be a God with his own adherents until Edward Jenny retired the 'God' with his smallpox vaccine !

1 Like

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 6:04pm On Nov 24, 2013
@oduduwaboy lol i didn't even know of sopona until now
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 11:22pm On Nov 24, 2013
all4naija: This is an excuse of somebody who believes on fairy tales. It doesn't make any different from the Atheist you accused of believing in myth! While Atheism says the opposite!

If you want to be taken seriously then perhaps you should learn how to construct proper grammar.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 11:22pm On Nov 24, 2013
thehomer:

Do you have faith that Santa Claus will appear to some children? How about faith that faeries will be dancing round toadstools?

The difference is that the theory of evolution is a scientific theory while the core premises of Christianity are mythical. Trading a scientific theory for a myth makes a lot of sense.

It is pure fantasy. to believe otherwise is a fools errand.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 11:23pm On Nov 24, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Evolution seems more plausible to me,with the fossil records than the jewish folklore of Adam,Eve and the serpent. Besides evolution is not atheism

It is obvious you dont know what you are talking about. The fossil records are the strongest argument against evolution. But i wont bore you with facts.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 11:24pm On Nov 24, 2013
Mr.Rothstein:
Actually david i think you misunderstood the little dialogue between me and generalshepherd.but well i have to ask,why do you reject the other gods that are worshipped all over the world?zeus,poseidon,amadioha etc.what exactly is your reason for rejecting them and accepting the christian god?

God's favor. You dont have to understand...
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by UyiIredia(m): 12:22am On Nov 25, 2013
davidylan:

It is obvious you dont know what you are talking about. The fossil records are the strongest argument against evolution. But i wont bore you with facts.

The fossil records don't tarnish strength of the evidence for evolution from genetics.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 12:37am On Nov 25, 2013
@david god's favour?worshippers of amadioha also claim to recieve favour from their god so i don't see how that's a distinguishing factor.and you do realize that these gods' existence are mutually exclusive,if zeus and his minions are the true gods then monotheism is false,and seeing as all their adherents claim to recieve favour from them,that alone can't cut it.so what distinguishes your god from the rest?or do you maintain that they are all correct?no false god?....p.s please how do i highlight and reply?
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by druid06(m): 1:09am On Nov 25, 2013
The words that has been making rounds on this thread are evangelical athiesm and 'New' athiesm. Most religious individuals on here has seen this as a sign of hypocrisy and using these new found athiestical worldview as thatch for their argument which is quite ridiculous. Your religion tends to spread its philosophies and ideas through evangelism and ministering to non believers and people of other faith. I don't see the reason why it's now hypocritical when atheist alike are trying to expose frauds, errors and myths about your religion to those who are willing to listen and be enlightened. It's not like they're asking for tights and offerings for their efforts in return.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 3:01am On Nov 25, 2013
Mr.Rothstein:
@david god's favour?worshippers of amadioha also claim to recieve favour from their god so i don't see how that's a distinguishing factor.and you do realize that these gods' existence are mutually exclusive,if zeus and his minions are the true gods then monotheism is false,and seeing as all their adherents claim to recieve favour from them,that alone can't cut it.so what distinguishes your god from the rest?or do you maintain that they are all correct?no false god?....p.s please how do i highlight and reply?

that's their prerogative. To each his own.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 3:03am On Nov 25, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

The fossil records don't tarnish strength of the evidence for evolution from genetics.

Micro-evolution, is well defined in genetics. Macro-evolution, the very basis for the theory of evolution, however is not. The fossil record does not provide much evidence for this. If anything, the fossil records tell us that for a large bunch of organisms, nothing ever changed in millions of years.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 5:09am On Nov 25, 2013
@david don't you think you're evading the scope of my question by using broad associative cliches like ''to each his own'' you're a christian not a deist so i imagine you must have good reasons for your choice of religion unless ofcourse like i've always assumed,theists have no concrete reason for rejecting the thousands of other gods that can't be used against their own faith.btw if you say ''to each his own'' are you then saying you're ok with any practice of any religion that is carried out under divine command even though it may be personally and morally conflicting to you?
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 5:47am On Nov 25, 2013
Mr.Rothstein:
@david don't you think you're evading the scope of my question by using broad associative cliches like ''to each his own'' you're a christian not a deist so i imagine you must have good reasons for your choice of religion unless ofcourse like i've always assumed,theists have no concrete reason for rejecting the thousands of other gods that can't be used against their own faith.btw if you say ''to each his own'' are you then saying you're ok with any practice of any religion that is carried out under divine command even though it may be personally and morally conflicting to you?

I'm not evading your "questions" (if we can call them that), i only see zero value in responding to a meandering word salad that comes from a position that is completely closed to any form of rational debate.

Every individual is entitled to his or her own spiritual choices... just the same way you have all the freedom in the world to not believe in anything but your own shadow. I have no idea why you think that deserves an explanation.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 6:28am On Nov 25, 2013
@david actually you seem to be the one who's closed to any rational debate,what is irrational about asking why you made choice A instead of B?infact it is irrational to maintain that you're not accountable for a choice you made over another.i also support freedom of worship,but am asking why the christian god?what is it about other gods that didn't persuade you well enough?it's ok if you don't really know but what you should know though is whatever your reasons are for rejecting other gods,that's exactly why atheists reject them and go a step further in rejecting yours

3 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:51am On Nov 25, 2013
davidylan:

Still better than the Adam and Eve story in my opinion
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by thehomer: 11:41pm On Nov 25, 2013
davidylan:

It is pure fantasy. to believe otherwise is a fools errand.

So are you saying the theory of evolution isn't a scientific theory?

Secondly, what would you classify the stories of creation in the Bible to be? Scientific theories?
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 1:36am On Nov 26, 2013
thehomer:

So are you saying the theory of evolution isn't a scientific theory?

Secondly, what would you classify the stories of creation in the Bible to be? Scientific theories?

Obviously you have a problem with comprehension. Infact i state my own opinion on the biblical creation story in one of my responses to Mr.Rothstein. Appears like you folks do nothing but regurgitate the same windbaggery each time without thinking.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 1:37am On Nov 26, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Still better than the Adam and Eve story in my opinion

Makes no sense. How is it any better? Obviously you have no clue... and here i was expecting you to be more intelligent than a parrot.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 1:39am On Nov 26, 2013
Mr.Rothstein:
@david actually you seem to be the one who's closed to any rational debate,what is irrational about asking why you made choice A instead of B?infact it is irrational to maintain that you're not accountable for a choice you made over another.i also support freedom of worship,but am asking why the christian god?what is it about other gods that didn't persuade you well enough?it's ok if you don't really know but what you should know though is whatever your reasons are for rejecting other gods,that's exactly why atheists reject them and go a step further in rejecting yours

I am not accountable to a faceless name-tag for personal choices i make. I dont accuse you for being irrational for your choice to eat rice instead of eba for dinner no?
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 2:29am On Nov 26, 2013
davidylan:

If you want to be taken seriously then perhaps you should learn how to construct proper grammar.
There is nothing like PROPER grammar in the first case, before you start talking about one. You don't write good English better than I do, you i-d-i-o-t! That is just an excuse for your silly post!
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Oduduwaboy(m): 3:12am On Nov 26, 2013
davidylan:

While it is true that the point of a forum is to DISCUSS (perhaps you might want to find out what that word means), it is also true that fear is a significant factor in the fact that many atheists use the religion forums as a means to reaffirm their "non-belief".

Risible !
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 3:13am On Nov 26, 2013
Oduduwaboy:

Risible !

you might want to explain why? I mean it is ok if all you want to do is demonstrate your "mastery" of the newest word in your vocabulary also.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Oduduwaboy(m): 3:18am On Nov 26, 2013
davidylan:

I am not accountable to a faceless name-tag for personal choices i make. I dont accuse you for being irrational for your choice to eat rice instead of eba for dinner no?

wow ...what is this now? a faceless name-tag ?
Well there is nothing wrong in being asked to give reasons for ones choices .please, stop being violently defensive . That was how boko haram started .
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 3:24am On Nov 26, 2013
Oduduwaboy:

wow ...what is this now? a faceless name-tag ?
Well there is nothing wrong in being asked to give reasons for ones choices .please, stop being violently defensive . That was how boko haram started .

violently defensive? Nah you need to stop foaming in the mouth with unnecessary manufactured rage.

1. We all are faceless name tags. I see your name, but i wouldnt know if you were a man or woman.

2. Again let me repeat... i dont have to explain my personal life choices to anyone as long as they dont concern you. We've had 74 pages here, i havent seen any of you intellectual lilliputians actually explain what it is you are against either, outside of the usual incoherence.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 3:29am On Nov 26, 2013
@david perhaps the way you understand the word ''accountable'' is a little bit narrow.this is supposed to be a rational debate and in a rational debate questions are asked and answered rationally and honestly.if you understand that then you'll understand why your rice and beans analogy is a total non sequitur.frankly there's no point in debating someone who has no appreciation for a rational debate as you have proven by your evasion of my points.

2 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 3:37am On Nov 26, 2013
Mr.Rothstein:
@david perhaps the way you understand the word ''accountable'' is a little bit narrow.this is supposed to be a rational debate and in a rational debate questions are asked and answered rationally and honestly.if you understand that then you'll understand why your rice and beans analogy is a total non sequitur.frankly there's no point in debating someone who has no appreciation for a rational debate as you have proven by your evasion of my points.

We were never "debating" in the first place. You were incoherently demanding that i tell you why i chose to be a christian. Bizarre that you think that deserved an answer. On what basis?
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 4:11am On Nov 26, 2013
@david maybe a better word is conversation or dialogue,in any case my points still stand.but am curious,is the creation account not part of what reinforces your faith?is that not a ''personal'' choice you made over evolution?why then are you so relentless in talking about it?i thought you don't discuss personal choices you made?don't you think you're being intellectually dishonest by cherry picking what to call ''personal and non personal choices''?who now is being incoherent?

2 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 4:24am On Nov 26, 2013
Mr.Rothstein:
@david maybe a better word is conversation or dialogue,in any case my points still stand.but am curious,is the creation account not part of what reinforces your faith?is that not a ''personal'' choice you made over evolution?why then are you so relentless in talking about it?i thought you don't discuss personal choices you made?don't you think you're being intellectually dishonest by cherry picking what to call ''personal and non personal choices''?who now is being incoherent?

Intellectually dishonest to pick and choose who i discuss my personal choices with? Laughable.

I dont waste my time with people i know dont have the intellectual capacity to actually have an informed discussion. You sound to me like another rabble rouser who obviously cant answer any question outside of just petulantly demanding for "answers" to yours.

1 Like

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 4:53am On Nov 26, 2013
Every atheist is intellectually dishonest and intellectually incapable of discussing evolution and the christian faith with davidylan.

Wow. Such arrogance.

Anyhoo, davidylan is a biologist that thinks evolution is crap.

That should be enough to show the mental retar.dation religion can cause. It turns a bright mind like davidylan into a conspiracy nutjob.

Evolution is now a conspiracy started by scientists to get people away from god.....another reason to dislike the excess of religion

1 Like

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 4:58am On Nov 26, 2013
@david oh so now the choice is with regards to who you discuss with not what you discuss?wow interesting leap,its funny though because you also accused those who you were discussing evolution with of being intellectual liliputians,so much for your choice of who you discuss with.i can't remember you asking me any question but you know the thing about ad hominem attacks?they usually come in handy when all instrument of reason become elusive,i'll be the bigger person and walk away from a coversation with an angry person

3 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 5:48am On Nov 26, 2013
Mr.Rothstein:
@david oh so now the choice is with regards to who you discuss with not what you discuss?wow interesting leap,its funny though because you also accused those who you were discussing evolution with of being intellectual liliputians,so much for your choice of who you discuss with.i can't remember you asking me any question but you know the thing about ad hominem attacks?they usually come in handy when all instrument of reason become elusive,i'll be the bigger person and walk away from a coversation with an angry person

I'm not angry... it is your choice to believe otherwise and i am not particularly interested in disabusing your mind.
I dont bother "discussing" with many of you because, after many years and with the coming of extra responsibilities, i no longer have the time to bother engaging people like you who come out sounding bombastic but largely have zero idea of YOUR OWN beliefs. Its easy to sit in your armchair caterwauling about me answering your questions... experience has taught me that if i asked you mine, you would most likely go the way of mr. goodshepherd... mumble some nonsense about me having to read before skipping away.

Enjoy your life.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (Reply)

Does Water Break The Fast? / Staunch Catholic Couple's Pre-Wedding Pictures / The Dangers Of Being A Prostitute In This Day And Age (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.