Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,914 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice (11871 Views)

N800,000 Credit Alert From An Unknown Person - Please Advice / My Friend Says "No Going Back On His Decision" On Vegetable Farming / Atuche Refuses To Resign As BankPHB CEO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by olasberguk(m): 4:30pm On Feb 27, 2013
His making the decision ever,i encourage him......God bless
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by executinal(m): 4:35pm On Feb 27, 2013
donofdons: [size=18pt]you must be a very big 400ل.you want to resign and farm vegetables....let me tell you something jar head.i have been farming cassava for 3 years now because i read a stupid
Motivational book called rich dad and poor dad and decided to leave my job and now i have become a poor dad.better keep your job or let me take it and maybe give you my farm[/size]
So because you fail you now discourage others not to try.

@OP Fisrt thing you should think before you resign is to do the following.

1, Keep your job while trying to establish your farm( if your location is not close to were you intend farming, then i will advice you plan this during your vacation.

2, Hire cheap labourers to do some of the job for you, it all depend on how much you have saved, but Labourers in naija is very cheap.

Once you test run your job for some time, then is up to you to see if you will quite your job and go into full farming. Nothing comes easy though, but just require hard work and more time.

Tip treat your investment as if you are working for another person, in a short while you will notice the difference, but once you have this attitude of are my working for person?? this attitude kills dream.

Keep your dream alive and try everything possible to actualize it. Do not listen to any discouragement rather focus on your goal.

2 Likes

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by igbeke: 4:35pm On Feb 27, 2013
it cud b d best idea if u count d cost b4 taking d step.
as a graduate of accounting, i lost my job so i decided 2 go in2 flour (poundo yam, elubo, plantain flour, etc) productn. doh d start was not easy but biz is gradually picking up & i'm happier 4 it.
just plan it well cos it cud be ruf at start.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Projectors(m): 4:35pm On Feb 27, 2013
Before you go into business develop yourself mentally, get all d necessary information.
I can tell you having your own business is the best way to wealth in life.

I will prefer to hustle in business for 5 years and make it than never to be in charge of my life.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Fhemmmy: 4:36pm On Feb 27, 2013
igbeke: it cud b d best idea if u count d cost b4 taking d step.
as a graduate of accounting, i lost my job so i decided 2 go in2 flour (poundo yam, elubo, plantain flour, etc) productn. doh d start was not easy but biz is gradually picking up & i'm happier 4 it.
just plan it well cos it cud be ruf at start.

Nice one . . . The only thing you cant have is "that thing you are afraid of trying"
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by bigx(m): 4:38pm On Feb 27, 2013
donofdons: [size=18pt]you must be a very big 400ل.you want to resign and farm vegetables....let me tell you something jar head.i have been farming cassava for 3 years now because i read a stupid
Motivational book called rich dad and poor dad and decided to leave my job and now i have become a poor dad.better keep your job or let me take it and maybe give you my farm[/size]

Look for what you're doing wrong and stop looking for which book to blame. That was the first motivational book I read and till date I only read cv's (yet to write one grin)

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by sobastical: 4:39pm On Feb 27, 2013
iamswizz: Up Barca grin

Who's this clown?
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by igbeke: 4:41pm On Feb 27, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Nice one . . . The only thing you cant have is "that thing you are afraid of trying"

d begining of failure is d fear of failure itself.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Fhemmmy: 4:42pm On Feb 27, 2013
igbeke:

d begining of failure is d fear of failure itself.

I could not have said it any better
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by MadCow1: 4:44pm On Feb 27, 2013

I swear bros, because of that Book, I nearly resign my work use my 7-series B.M.W start airport Taxi Business..

Thank God say as an Igbo guy, I already sabi business wey no go bring profit!!

I invested in Yahoo and Today!!! My testi-money has 'Change'.

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by sobastical: 4:45pm On Feb 27, 2013

Ahahahah, poor dad no vex...its obvious you left God behind your plan then.

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by xsey: 4:52pm On Feb 27, 2013
My Opinion; Passion drives any business especially Farm Business.
Nothing is wrong with trying, but make sure you try when you have done your proper homework.

I have always been self-employed; While in school and after school. As it is, I don't know how it feels to earn regular pay.

I have been into FarmProduce Marketing for a certain period of time. But before I commited much capital into the business, I have understudied many examples(Mentoring).

One thing is common in Farm business;
1. *Look before you leap* Take Calculated Risk
2. Develop a Good Passion.
3. Start small; (In case there is a mistake, it will be small)
4. Grow your farm Business as you gain experience.
5. Read books/ebooks on farm business.
6. Get a Mentor and be a good student.
Understudy and ask relevant questions.
You can eliminate your farm business frustrations with the help of a Mentor.

Before you resign, Get full knowledge about the business through Mentoring.

All the best!
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Nobody: 4:52pm On Feb 27, 2013
kayjegs: If you want to go into vegetable farming, check this thread and you can buy my book which explained everything about it including the cost and profit analysis. There are some other agribusinesses you can do.

https://www.nairaland.com/1163912/funds-not-business-actually-need

TIF
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by sobastical: 4:53pm On Feb 27, 2013
Mad Cow:

I swear bros, because of that Book, I nearly resign my work use my 7-series B.M.W start airport Taxi Business..

Thank God say as an Igbo guy, I already sabi business wey no go bring profit!!

I invested in Yahoo and Today!!! My testi-money has 'Change'.

So one can invest to yahoo yahoo abi? Smh
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by jta2012(m): 5:04pm On Feb 27, 2013
I strongly advise to go ahead and take the plunge,he wont regret it but initially it might look tough and
discouraging but he wl survive it as many of us are doing now.
i ws him success.
jtaconsulting,Lagos.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Anvaller: 5:21pm On Feb 27, 2013
@OP
That dude is about to take a very risky decision. I would advise him to only venture into such if there is a way to still keep is job. I was a farmer too so I am not talking blindly. The least profitable level to be on the supply chain in agriculture is primary production and it is the most hectic and time consuming. That is where u want to resign and go..? I have been there b4. Right b4 ur eyes, u will see other ppl on the chain e.g transporters of ur product, bulk buyers and retailers making 5 times the profit u made per unit. I am not saying u cant make profit as pry producer but u have to be sophisticated, that means u will need huge capital and skills too cos he's an accountant isn't he?. In most cases, ur revenue will only manage to cover cost of production. For some one like you, labour is not cheap in Nigeria, you will spend a lot on labour.
My advice, instead of looking only at farming, look at the possibility of trading agricultural product, buy commodities wholesale and sell to retailers. The guy has a hilux u said? So he is almost there then. In that way, he will make profit within short time with less risks.
Good luck.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by boron10(m): 5:46pm On Feb 27, 2013
olushowunm: @OP... FARMING IS NOT FOR PPLE WHO ARE ACCUSTOMED TO FIXED INCOME, IF YOU ARE MARRIED, YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR FAMILY AT GREAT RISKS... WELL, I'M INTO FARMING TOO AND I THINK I DROPPED MY COMMENT ON YOUR FIRST POST!
I ADVISE YOU TO FIRST START WITH CASSAVA AND HAVE A PILOT SCHEME FOR YOUR VEGETABLES... THIS YOU CAN DEVOTE TIME TO ON SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS AND OTHER FREE TIME... CASSAVA IS NOT THAT TIME CONSUMING LIKE VEGETABLES... YOU CAN CONTACT ME VIA OLUSHOWUNMI2@GMAIL.COM FOR MORE ADVICE...
This is a wrong advise as cassava will get him income after about 15months. Vegetable has a very short cycle, thus getting him income within a short time.

Cassava will is advisable when he has other means of getting money before the crop is due for harvesting.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by biolabee(m): 6:00pm On Feb 27, 2013
sobastical:

So one can invest to yahoo yahoo abi? Smh

yahoo is an IT company that issues stock

Juveniles
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by mrvictor: 6:11pm On Feb 27, 2013

Smart Businessman! So after reading Rich Dad Poor Dad, you went into farming without reading anything about farming? Interesting!!! Thank God you didn't go into installing NEPA power transformer or flying an aeroplane after reading the book.

I think you failed in the business because you didn't gather info about farming before venturing. As much as I know, Farming is a very very good business!!!
I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by mamaafrik(m): 6:23pm On Feb 27, 2013
Heyman,luk he shuld neva resign b4 starting d veg. Farming(talking 4rm dad's xperience),y nt delve into it while stil holding ur current work & c d way tins goes(dis i knw wil b energy consuming),if afta startin & it requires much time but brings cool cash then u might resign,but if u rnt sure, set it up & talk to ur wife or sibling or a trustworthy person to manage it while u play a supervisory role.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by ZACHIE: 6:25pm On Feb 27, 2013
Go all the way, bro.
But to Vegetable, add animal husbandry/midwifery. you won,t go wrong. But wait, your farm is in Benin, what palns do have for moving stuffs to Lagos preferably? You need a market apart from your immediate environs.
Work on it and also work on an extra income, especially TEACHING
all the best
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Fhemmmy: 6:29pm On Feb 27, 2013
ZACHIE: Go all the way, bro.
But to Vegetable, add animal husbandry/midwifery. you won,t go wrong. But wait, your farm is in Benin, what palns do have for moving stuffs to Lagos preferably? You need a market apart from your immediate environs.
Work on it and also work on an extra income, especially TEACHING
all the best

Very true and important to have something in place to take care of that logistics!!!!
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Ozonna(m): 6:49pm On Feb 27, 2013
Brother continue on this agro business. 2-3years coming you will look bacck and not have any iota of regret. Nigeria is diversifying her economy,agriculture is receiving government attention. I assure you that with proper planning, you won't regret it.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by soladel(m): 6:52pm On Feb 27, 2013
All said are good, i am a technology transfer consultant with IITA ibadan, i have every information you need concerning investing in Agriculture, i will not take anything from you, just get in touch with me on adelekesola@gmail.com.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by jmoore(m): 7:13pm On Feb 27, 2013

Do you know the number of people that eat cassava daily? Your poor management skills failed you sad
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by sonickay(m): 7:28pm On Feb 27, 2013
I wil adcise d person to tink about Plantain, i mean Banana Plantation Farming. Its profitable n relyable, he can even combine both.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by ogb5(m): 7:46pm On Feb 27, 2013
Anvaller: @OP
That dude is about to take a very risky decision. I would advise him to only venture into such if there is a way to still keep is job. I was a farmer too so I am not talking blindly. The least profitable level to be on the supply chain in agriculture is primary production and it is the most hectic and time consuming. That is where u want to resign and go..? I have been there b4. Right b4 ur eyes, u will see other ppl on the chain e.g transporters of ur product, bulk buyers and retailers making 5 times the profit u made per unit. I am not saying u cant make profit as pry producer but u have to be sophisticated, that means u will need huge capital and skills too cos he's an accountant isn't he?. In most cases, ur revenue will only manage to cover cost of production. For some one like you, labour is not cheap in Nigeria, you will spend a lot on labour.
My advice, instead of looking only at farming, look at the possibility of trading agricultural product, buy commodities wholesale and sell to retailers. The guy has a hilux u said? So he is almost there then. In that way, he will make profit within short time with less risks.
Good luck.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by ogb5(m): 7:46pm On Feb 27, 2013
Good luck.

best advice so far.

Those who have never been in the farming business are advicing the dude to go ahead.

Farming like any business in nigeria is arranged in trophic levels. Those at the bottom of the ladder do more of the work, take more of the risks and have the lowest reward. Those at the top are better protected risk wise and make more profit.

The guy is already into fish farming. He should compare the profit he makes from keeping his fishes for several months to what the seller who buy from him make by buying from him in one day and selling the next day.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by naijacutee(f): 8:23pm On Feb 27, 2013
Good luck.

This is why I think it would also be beneficial to educate oneself on the business side of things. While production might be the least profitable part in the chain, it is the most essential, as without produce, the other guys are out of business. How then can you use this to your advantage? Larger scale production? Adding value to the produce at the production level e.g refining the sugarcane to form sugar, husking and polishing the rice, describing the beans, packaging the produce on site?
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by oderemo(m): 9:04pm On Feb 27, 2013
Good luck.
best advise in a mile,was watching dragon den long while ago and that woman, debra meaden , said same thing. farmers that dont add value to their products end up making no money. that's a fact.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by yomalex(m): 10:51pm On Feb 27, 2013
it is better to find something else to do hen do dry season farming more lucrative at that time.

Do you own the farmland? if they ask you to vacate when your veggies are almost matured how will you feel?

get a small piece of land and plant the vegetables wet before you go to work in the morning and when you come back in the evening.

when it is time to leave your job you will not ask anybody
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by donofdons: 10:59pm On Feb 27, 2013
jmoore:

Do you know the number of people that eat cassava daily? Your poor management skills failed you sad

mrvictor:

Smart Businessman! So after reading Rich Dad Poor Dad, you went into farming without reading anything about farming? Interesting!!! Thank God you didn't go into installing NEPA power transformer or flying an aeroplane after reading the book.

I think you failed in the business because you didn't gather info about farming before venturing. As much as I know, Farming is a very very good business!!!
I rest my case.

[size=18pt]ok brothers......make una no hear me...allow people to go invest for vegetable biz.my friend also left his job and invested in rat and cockroach biz and now
we are in this situation together.please i will be willing to take a job if anyone will offer me one now....[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Palm Oil Production By States In Nigeria / 1500 Liters Plastic Fish Tank For Sale / Ask Me What You Want To Know About Snail,grasscutter Fish And Processing Machine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.