Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,575 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice (11880 Views)

N800,000 Credit Alert From An Unknown Person - Please Advice / My Friend Says "No Going Back On His Decision" On Vegetable Farming / Atuche Refuses To Resign As BankPHB CEO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Nobody: 11:04pm On Feb 27, 2013
No one ever comes here to say I need advise especially when they feel what they are about to do is wrong or could be disastrous. You had better keep your job and do the farm part time before you resign.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Fhemmmy: 12:13am On Feb 28, 2013
xsey: My Opinion; Passion drives any business especially Farm Business.
Nothing is wrong with trying, but make sure you try when you have done your proper homework.

I have always been self-employed; While in school and after school. As it is, I don't know how it feels to earn regular pay.

I have been into FarmProduce Marketing for a certain period of time. But before I commited much capital into the business, I have understudied many examples(Mentoring).

One thing is common in Farm business;
1. *Look before you leap* Take Calculated Risk
2. Develop a Good Passion.
3. Start small; (In case there is a mistake, it will be small)
4. Grow your farm Business as you gain experience.
5. Read books/ebooks on farm business.
6. Get a Mentor and be a good student.
Understudy and ask relevant questions.
You can eliminate your farm business frustrations with the help of a Mentor.

Before you resign, Get full knowledge about the business through Mentoring.

All the best!

How come everywhere we look these days, there are some e-book for everything, i think i have to see some of this book oh, maybe could improve my business

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by matrixme(m): 12:30am On Feb 28, 2013
Please sir follow your inner voice! Just Because it didn't work for some other person doesn't mean it will not work for you. I believe with enough market survey /strategy and a decent packaging, you can sell anything to anybody in this Nigeria. If you are based around a Tertiary institution, students are always in need of vegetables. Also, don't abandon your fish farm. It could be the lifesaver if the vegetable business fails. Fishes are always in season, but try to get more knowledge on feed formulation so you don't pour all your expenditure on white man's feed. I wish you the very best on your endeavour. Every successful entrepreneur today broke out of their comfort zones. Why not join them?
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Fhemmmy: 12:32am On Feb 28, 2013
matrixme: Please sir follow your inner voice! [/b]Just Because it didn't work for some other person doesn't mean it will not work for you. I believe with enough market survey /strategy and a decent packaging, you can sell anything to anybody in this Nigeria. If you are based around a Tertiary institution, students are always in need of vegetables. Also, don't abandon your fish farm. It could be the lifesaver if the vegetable business fails. Fishes are always in season, but try to get more knowledge on feed formulation so you don't pour all your expenditure on white man's feed. I wish you the very best on your endeavour. Every successful entrepreneur today broke out of their comfort zones. Why not join them?

[b]That is nice but like you said later, it is important to do the homework as well . . .
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by BluStreak(m): 5:29am On Feb 28, 2013
Vegetable farming is among the most profitable agricultural based business one can venture into. Bear in mind that maturity period for some of these vegies in less than a month unlike cassava & pineapple etc.

Vegetables like green, pumpkin leaves, ewedu, and other leafy vegetables mature in weeks. Vegie farming only requires constant irrigation, fertilizer preferably organic. And guess what? The yield is very high he might actually not need too many hecters of land. Just 2 hecters will give him all he wants.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Nobody: 10:11am On Feb 28, 2013
Druss: IT is not a bad idea. By the time he is fully into it .. He would earn more than 50000 per month. 50000 is just less than 2000 naira per day. Are you telling me you cant make 2000 naira profit per day?

Guy, shit happens, ask those in business. Today you make 20k per day, 6months later 1k per day.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by question(m): 11:09am On Feb 28, 2013
BluStreak: Vegetable farming is among the most profitable agricultural based business one can venture into. Bear in mind that maturity period for some of these vegies in less than a month unlike cassava & pineapple etc.

Vegetables like green, pumpkin leaves, ewedu, and other leafy vegetables mature in weeks. Vegie farming only requires constant irrigation, fertilizer preferably organic. And guess what? The yield is very high he might actually not need too many hecters of land. Just 2 hecters will give him all he wants.

Just to make the land size look real...

2 hectares = 20,000m2 = about two and half (2.5) FIFA football pitches = about forty four (44) 50ft by 100ft plots of land.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by ipoolapoju(m): 5:12pm On Feb 28, 2013
I'll advice u get in contact with the lagbaja that contributed to this topic.Unfortunately lagbaja did not give his phone no etc.He however seems to know what he is talking about.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by kayjegs: 7:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
Vegetable business does not involve large expanse of land to make something appreciable from it. And don't forget that tomatoes, peppers and of course leafy vegetables are all vegetable farming. You can learn more from

https://www.nairaland.com/1163912/funds-not-business-actually-need/1#14537861

Another point to the fact that you dont need so much of farmland is that, you will be able to maintain all year round production using a smaller piece of land than a bigger one because of the watering potentials especially when the rains have gone. Since there is no effective long term preservation techniques for perishable goods in Nigeria. That is another angle to that.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Fhemmmy: 10:43pm On Feb 28, 2013
ipoolapoju: I'll advice u get in contact with the lagbaja that contributed to this topic.Unfortunately lagbaja did not give his phone no etc.He however seems to know what he is talking about.

He could contact the guy via the NL personal message . . . .
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Nobody: 3:13am On Mar 01, 2013
he should be prudent... he should not go about spending frivolously like he is a salary earner. Running a business is more fulfilling and rewarding than working for a company that pays u N50,000 per month.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by tunapawizzy: 9:05am On Mar 01, 2013
donofdons: [size=18pt]you must be a very big 400ل.you want to resign and farm vegetables....let me tell you something jar head.i have been farming cassava for 3 years now because i read a stupid
Motivational book
called rich dad and poor dad and decided to leave my job and now i have become a poor dad. better keep your job or let me take it and maybe give you my farm[/size]
[size=18pt]LMFAO[/size]
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by stevecantrell: 10:52am On Mar 01, 2013
donofdons: [size=18pt]you must be a very big 400ل.you want to resign and farm vegetables....let me tell you something jar head.i have been farming cassava for 3 years now because i read a stupid
Motivational book called rich dad and poor dad and decided to leave my job and now i have become a poor dad.better keep your job or let me take it and maybe give you my farm[/size]

OMGoodness ! shocked cheesy
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by DonaldYusuf(m): 9:32am On Mar 07, 2013
oniwo: My friend has HND accountancy and during his youth service he gained employed with a company that pays him less than #50000 a month. After working with the company for 5 years he now want to resign and ventures into vegetable farming. Though he had a fish pond where he lives & 1998 Toyota Hilux. He is planning to lease about 4 hectares of land in a village in Delta state.
Please members in the house advise him.

No doubt, creating your own job is one of the best things any guy can do for himself,hence your friend's decision to venture into Vegetable farming is good. But one piece of advice; since your friend is already into Fish Farming, i will advice he concentrates on growing the fish farming business first before venturing into another.

REASONS:
1. Fish farming is far more profitable than Vegetable farming
2. Your friend already has knowledge of and experience in fish farming, since he operates a fish pond.
3. Focusing on one project per time is very important in building a business.

And i will advice your friend Not to resign his current job yet. Entrepreneurship is not child's play. His salary could serve as a good source of funding for his business, especially as operations capital.
Good luck to your friend!
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Fhemmmy: 8:28pm On Mar 07, 2013
Donald Yusuf:

No doubt, creating your own job is one of the best things any guy can do for himself,hence your friend's decision to venture into Vegetable farming is good. But one piece of advice; since your friend is already into Fish Farming, i will advice he concentrates on growing the fish farming business first before venturing into another.

REASONS:
1. Fish farming is [b]far more profitable than Vegetable farming[/b]
2. Your friend already has knowledge of and experience in fish farming, since he operates a fish pond.
3. Focusing on one project per time is very important in building a business.

And i will advice your friend Not to resign his current job yet. Entrepreneurship is not child's play. His salary could serve as a good source of funding for his business, especially as operations capital.
Good luck to your friend!

That is not a fact cos fish farming could be a morning losing business as well . . . .
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by personaldomest(f): 10:52pm On Mar 07, 2013
Any form of business is risky. People will cheat you, you will lose monies, i'm talking from experience. I lost millions of Naira trying to establish my business. You have to prepare your mind and know that once you quit your job you've burnt a bridge and there's no going back. Business proposals look very in theory but trying to implement it comes with so much challenges its unbelievable. Well Goodluck.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Nobody: 12:40am On Mar 08, 2013
Lagbaja:
Great decision. 4 things you must do to be successful as a vegetable farmer
1. make sure you have access to adequate water (you need at least 10,000 litres of water per day to irrigate 1 hectare)
2. Use a drip Irrigation system (buy emitter or drip tapes, that is what you will use to water the plants everyday and to also apply fertilizer straight to the roots. read about it)and a green house if you can afford one , it costs much but you wont regret the decision.
3. Get hybrid seeds. Tomatoes is the most lucrative. You can make over 50m on one hectare of land per annum if you do green house farming.
4. Use fertilizers, either organic or inorganic.

Best of luck

Sir, could you elaborate on how one could make N50m farming tomatoes on a hectare of farm. I find that very hard to believe.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by sellydion: 1:55pm On Mar 08, 2013
WHO SAYS YOU MUST NOT LEAP (JUST DO IT).

MY SINCERE ADVICE IS FOR YOU TO LOOK WELL, LET YOUR EYES REACH GROUND.

LIFE IS A RISK, DONT TEST THE DEPTH OF THE SEA WITH YOUR TWO LEGS!!
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Hugoboy: 7:56am On May 24, 2013
soladel: All said are good, i am a technology transfer consultant with IITA ibadan, i have every information you need concerning investing in Agriculture, i will not take anything from you, just get in touch with me on adelekesola@gmail.com.
I am interested in cassava and vegetable farming and I live in Oshogbo. pls help me with info concerning these ventures. adedayoadeyemi77@gmail.com Thanks.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by oniwo(m): 8:22pm On Oct 18, 2013
What area of vegetable farming is lucrative in Eastern part of the country.
Which fertilizer is the best for vegies
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by samshoz(m): 3:28pm On Oct 27, 2020
For your affordable organic manure/foliar fertilizer need, I have some rabbits urine and droppings for your vegetables/plants need. #35 per kg of rabbits droppings & #40 per litre of rabbits urine. Slight discount for bulk purchase.

Contact / WhatsApp 0802090311

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Palm Oil Production By States In Nigeria / 1500 Liters Plastic Fish Tank For Sale / Ask Me What You Want To Know About Snail,grasscutter Fish And Processing Machine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.