Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,727 members, 7,813,403 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 (14296 Views)

Denrele Attacked For Sending Beverly Osu To Represent Nigeria At Big Brother / Tonto Dike To Represent Nigeria In Big Brother Africa / The Oscars 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by victorazy(m): 9:30pm On Feb 22, 2013
sholay2011:

Another crazy genny fan...sharrap jare! Is it her birthright?

Hey this little, stunted thwart. u dnt tell ur god "sharrap" unless u want to be doomed.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Fhemmmy: 9:32pm On Feb 22, 2013
Afam4eva: What happened to the third largest movie industry in the world?

3rd largest in number of movies produced and not really quality nor in story lines. . .

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 9:33pm On Feb 22, 2013
mindyourword: I WISH HER BEST OF LUCK.

She'll need lots of it.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 9:35pm On Feb 22, 2013
omo_to_dun: @shine12
My brother, they are coming to sell their products to us. We are nothing more than consumers. Tell me, what do we produce that others want? When I watch Nollywood(I patently hate this terminology) movies, I make sure to do it alone because the laughably bad inept acting, dialogue, directing, editing, and special effects are just so cringe worthy that I cannot bear for others to make fun of our movies.

I agree that some Nollywood movies are not sound- production wise. But films like "Ije", "Silent Scandals" and "Last Flight To Abuja", are definitely top-notch. I just hope that the production/cinematic crews of the aforementioned movies get to churn out more of the same.
For that to happen though, the film marketers at Idumota, Pound Road (Aba) and Iweka Road, shouldn't meddle into the cinematic aspects of movie production.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Kelvin677(m): 9:36pm On Feb 22, 2013
omo_to_dun: 34th to comment.

oya go commit suicide nah
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by posthidden: 9:36pm On Feb 22, 2013
This post has been hidden
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by occam(m): 9:43pm On Feb 22, 2013
nobody from Nollywood? Genevive? Omotola? what happened to you guys?
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by omotodun5: 9:45pm On Feb 22, 2013
CFCfan:

I agree that some Nollywood movies are not sound- production wise. But films like "Ije", "Silent Scandals" and "Last Flight To Abuja", are definitely top-notch. I just hope that the production/cinematic crews of the aforementioned movies get to churn out more of the same.
For that to happen though, the film marketers at Idumota, Pound Road (Aba) and Iweka Road, shouldn't meddle into the cinematic aspects of movie production.

Ok, I will watch those movies.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by tpia5: 9:46pm On Feb 22, 2013
occam: nobody from Nollywood? Genevive? Omotola? what happened to you guys?

arent you following recent events.

we dont have our act together, in nigeria.

uganda and congo should represent africa while we straighten ourselves out and rearrange/regroup.

2 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by tpia5: 9:49pm On Feb 22, 2013
shine12:
This might be unrelated to the thread, there is a documentary on BBC that airs everyday for some weeks now titled AFRICA.I was surprised to see the whole content of the documentary to be elephants, shallow rivers, snakes, insects, valleys etc.

maybe we should just leave it at that.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 9:50pm On Feb 22, 2013
occam: nobody from Nollywood? Genevive? Omotola? what happened to you guys?

I know, right. I forget to include them in my list of future potential invitees.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by chucky234(m): 9:52pm On Feb 22, 2013
What an amazing story,from the streets to the screens. That's what am talking about,our actresses wins local awards and fly their shoulder pads way higher than electricity pole.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by sammmiey1: 9:56pm On Feb 22, 2013
I av bn disallowed 4rm commentin' on entertainmnt thread,seun chop knuckle nah abeg!
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by jesusisgood(f): 9:58pm On Feb 22, 2013
^
My guy, e no easy o. Welcome to the club.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by occam(m): 10:01pm On Feb 22, 2013
envy not let me see road. haba, one small girl over all the actors and actresses in Naija. Anyway, big congrats to Rachel Mwanza. all the best
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by kkkp: 10:07pm On Feb 22, 2013
grin grin grin ;DWhr is towtow decay n co? We ol knw dat our actresses are acting rubbish movies with no content and message
HisRib: Rachel Mwanza, star of critically acclaimed Canadian film Rebelle, will be the only representation of Africa at the 58th Annual Academy Awards. The Academy Awards, known to most as The Oscars, is an annual award ceremony dedicated to honoring excellent cinematic achievements. Rachel, who plays the role of a war witch named Komona, was chosen after producers saw her performance on a documentary about street kids in Kinshasa. Being abandoned by her parents at an early age, the 16-year old actress spent many years living in the streets.

When Rebelle Director, Kim Nguyen and Producers Pierre Even and Marie-Claude Poulin first came into contact with Rachel she was unable to read or write. Together they agreed to pay for her education and provide her with housing until she turns eighteen. In 2012, the Congolese actress received awards from the Berlin Film Festival, the Tribeca Film Festival, the Vancouver Film Critics Circle, and was nominated for Best Actress at the 2013 Canadian Screen Awards.

With Rebelle being nominated for Best Foreign Film at the 58th Annual Academy Awards, last month producers were scrambling to obtain a U.S visa that will allow the young star to attend the ceremony. There is no confirmation a visa was granted. The 58th Annual Academy Award is scheduled to air on Sunday February 24th 2013.

Update:
According to several news sources, Congolese actress Rachel Mwanza was awarded a US Visa in order to attend the Oscars in Los Angeles, California.

Source: http://afri-culture.com/?p=3370
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 10:12pm On Feb 22, 2013
nice to know......but i do not know who she is.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 10:15pm On Feb 22, 2013
adaobi123: nice to know......but i do not know who she is.

Abi oh. They could have also extended an invitation to another actress with name recognition like Tonto Dikeh
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by BankuTilapia: 10:22pm On Feb 22, 2013
yertyr: I'm not surprised wen tonto dike go wear bikini wen presumin to be playin a role in the 30's. Our films seem not to surpass africa.
Wot do u expect from an actress wit a name like TOTO DICKK-HEADD grin grin cheesy angry u can't be invited to an important function wit a name like dat.

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 10:34pm On Feb 22, 2013
[quote author=CFCfan]

I know, right. I forget to include the kissm in my list of future potential invitees. [/qote]

But why do you think they absolutely deserve to be invited? I love some naija movies but the screaming instead of acting make it impossible to watch sometimes. Try to watch the trailer and maybe you will understand why she‘s been invited and not naija actors.
Congrats Rachelle,make us proud mama

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Libkid(m): 10:36pm On Feb 22, 2013
Choi! D gal wowo die
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by huninaija(f): 10:39pm On Feb 22, 2013
Not to sound rude, but iv never heard of this young lady before..

After all nollywood has done for the continent and continues to do, only one rising star from congo is chosen to represent africa?

Wow! What kind of snub is this? We may not be at hollywood's level yet, but that doesn't take away the fact that nollywood has produced some of the leading african actors and actresses known today! And paved the way for african film and entertainment!

Even in the well.... embarassed

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 10:39pm On Feb 22, 2013
Why are people so jealous? Despite of all the numerous nollywwod actresses out there, produders chose to use a street kid who could barely read or write in their movie. This should be a wake up call for nollywood.

Most of these nollywood actresses think they've arrived. They refuse to work harder to improve their craft. None of them are known or recognized by the mainstream media. They need to humble themselves and maybe they might just get invited to participate in American films.

I'm so happy for Rachel. She's the definition of talent. While she will be seated with the "BIG" hollywood stars in Los Angeles, where will your so called Nollywood stars be?

3 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 11:04pm On Feb 22, 2013
huni_naija: Not to sound rude, but iv never heard of this young lady before..

After all nollywood has done for the continent and continues to do, only one rising star from congo is chosen to represent africa?

Wow! What kind of snub is this? We may not be at hollywood's level yet, but that doesn't take away the fact that nollywood has produced some of the leading african actors and actresses known today! And paved the way for african film and entertainment!

Even in the well.... embarassed

My friend, who told you Nollywood paved the way for African entertainment? It's a LIE!

Africans has always had great entertainment. Nollywood actors/actresses have paved the way for Nigeria, NOT the whole of Africa.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 11:05pm On Feb 22, 2013
CFCfan:

Abi oh. They could have also extended an invitation to another actress with name recognition like Tonto Dikeh

What great movie has she done that she should be invited!? Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Willgates(m): 11:09pm On Feb 22, 2013
So many hidden post already undecided
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Willgates(m): 11:12pm On Feb 22, 2013
HisRib:

My friend, who told you Nollywood paved the way for African entertainment? It's a LIE!

Africans has always had great entertainment. Nollywood actors/actresses have paved the way for Nigeria, NOT the whole of Africa.

name,instances,source pls?
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by huninaija(f): 11:13pm On Feb 22, 2013
HisRib:

Honey, we're not fighting ok? Why so much vigour and anger in your posts?? We're just discussing a topic no need to get so worked up ok?

You cannot deny the fact that nollywood is africa's largest movie industry and second in the world, in terms of value and the number of movies produced per year?

I never denied the fact that other african countries don't have there own great entertainment, just that nollywood is leading for now within africa!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

BBNaija: 7 Remarkable Highlights From ‘Level Up’ Season / Photos From The Amvcas 2016 Nominee Announcement Event / Prison Break Season 5/6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.