Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,851 members, 7,806,401 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:53 PM

The Oscars 2007 - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Oscars 2007 (8063 Views)

Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 / The Oscars, 2010 Live Coverage And Results / The Oscars, 2010 : Nominees Announced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 8:52pm On Jan 24, 2007
The 2007 edition of the Oscar Awards will hold on February 25. Got some nominees:

Performance by an actor in a leading role
Leonardo DiCaprio - BLOOD DIAMOND
Ryan Gosling - HALF NELSON
Peter O'Toole - VENUS
Will Smith - THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS
Forest Whitaker - THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Alan Arkin - LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
Jackie Earle Haley - LITTLE CHILDREN
Djimon Hounsou - BLOOD DIAMOND
Eddie Murphy - DREAMGIRLS
Mark Wahlberg - THE DEPARTED

Performance by an actress in a leading role
Penélope Cruz - VOLVER
Judi Dench - NOTES ON A SCANDAL
Helen Mirren - THE QUEEN
Meryl Streep - THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA
Kate Winslet - LITTLE CHILDREN

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Adriana Barraza - BABEL
Cate Blanchett - NOTES ON A SCANDAL
Abigail Breslin - LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
Jennifer Hudson - DREAMGIRLS
Rinko Kikuchi - BABEL

Best animated feature film of the year
CARS
HAPPY FEET
MONSTER HOUSE

Best motion picture of the year
BABEL
THE DEPARTED
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
THE QUEEN

Original screenplay
BABEL
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
PAN'S LABYRINTH
THE QUEEN

What do you guys think? Let's discuss.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Seun(m): 10:58pm On Jan 24, 2007
Borat/Cohen isn't nominated? sad
Re: The Oscars 2007 by hotangel2(f): 11:15pm On Jan 24, 2007
Im wondering why dreamgirls isn't nominated for best picture.

And uhmm seun, i dont think movies like BORAT get to the oscars.

Then again, academy awards bore me to death. Most of the movies i didn't even watch!!! I still get surprised at the kind of movies they choose for awards.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Free(f): 3:48am On Jan 25, 2007
Djimon Hounsou - BLOOD DIAMOND i hope he wins

okay to make this short

am root for all ma black ppls grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Oscars 2007 by iice(f): 4:19am On Jan 25, 2007
I think Borat got nominated for adapted screenplay.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 8:39pm On Jan 25, 2007
yes, borat got nominated. . .the title of that movie is so long. but wat is a movie like that doin in the oscars i wonder wat criteria they use in chosing these movies.
and can someone pls tell me wat eddie murphy did to get nominated.

Snakes on a plane was also nominated. cant remembet the category now though.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by iice(f): 3:29am On Jan 26, 2007
Eddie murphy got nominated for Supporting Actor in a Motion picture. Notice how the best film nominations didnt exactly coincide with the best director nominations? Hmmm i don't know about snakes on a plane, probably the special effects undecided Why is letters from iwo jima in the best movie category and not foreign film category? Isn't the movie like 98% in Japanese/Nihonggo? undecided
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 9:21am On Jan 26, 2007
the academy awards is gradully losing its relevance. the awards and eventual winners do not reflect wat the movie watchers themselves have in mind. see wat happened last year. the awards was filled with low gudget movies that were not known until after the awards. i mean, wat was a movie like brokeback mountain doin in the awards?? i saw the movie after the awards and i was tryin to figure out wat they saw in the movie.

i think Pans labyrinth got the most nominations. haven't seen it though. i'll make sure i see it before the awards.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by iice(f): 9:29am On Jan 26, 2007
Nah dreamgirls got the most nominations. 8 nods for them but not for best pic or best director. Babel follows closely. Pan's labyrinth is good, you should check it out. My own is when will they give Martin Scorsese the best director award. For the past three or four years he has been nominated consecutively and the man hasn't won the damn oscar for best director. LOL i admit heath ledger deserved the nomination for Brokeback.

Noticed Leonardo got nominated for Blood Diamond, which i admit his performance was quite good but his performance in The Departed was better. Hay sometimes i wonder whats up with these oscars masef. Am happy for Abigail though (girl in lil miss sunshine) just 10yrs and she got nominated. Bet she's the coolest kid in school now lol.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Seun(m): 2:35pm On Jan 26, 2007
yes, borat got nominated. . .the title of that movie is so long.
I'm typing this from memory: Cultural Leanings Of America For The Make-Benefit Glorious Nation Of Kazhakstan!

Every word in that title is supposed to be funny, but I don't understand what "make-benefit" means.

but what is a movie like that doin in the oscars i wonder what criteria they use in chosing these movies.
It's a very insightful movie that deals with the serious topics of racism and religious prejudice.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 4:51pm On Jan 26, 2007
@seun
nice one with the title. saw the preview of the movie and promised myself not to see it, no matter wat anybody said.
Borat. . .was he not the guy that anchored MTV awards 2 yrs ago

Anyone seen THE QUEEN? tha movie is beautiful. i fancy Helen Mirren for best actress although it wold be keenly cotested by merly streep for Devil wears prada, also a good movie.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by iice(f): 6:02pm On Jan 26, 2007
Yeah he hosted the Europe MTV awards 2years ago.

I hope Helen Mirren wins, she's the favorite to win. Love Meryl Streep but please let her give chance to other people now.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:07pm On Jan 26, 2007
Im not particulary excited by these nominees. im glad Dream Girls wasnt added though. Enough with the damn musicals as best pictures. Bad enough with the whole Ray nonsense. angry

iice, I definitely agree with you that Leo should have been nominated in The Departed as opposed to Blood Diamond. He wasnt that good, infact that movie itself was just OK. I do hope Djimon wins though.

I am very surprised that Brad was nominated for Babel, Hmm,
Re: The Oscars 2007 by iice(f): 6:15pm On Jan 26, 2007
TOH my sentiments exactly, all these musicals sef i tire. Could barely make it through Chicago lol. And yeah Blood Diamond was just ok. No Brad didn't get nominated for Babel. I doubt Djimon will win, looks like it might be Eddie Murphy's trophy or even Peter O'Toole who has been nominated like what? 6 times and has yet to win.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:27pm On Jan 26, 2007
there's always a token black man award so it's either gonna be between Djimon or Forest Whittaker tongue
Re: The Oscars 2007 by iice(f): 6:29pm On Jan 26, 2007
LOL true that
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 7:14pm On Jan 26, 2007
token black award grin
Re: The Oscars 2007 by toptho(f): 12:09am On Jan 27, 2007
I hope djimon wins but i doubt it, just saw blood diamond and i was impressed
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 3:49am On Jan 27, 2007
would see pans labyrinth soon.
it better makes sense or else. . . .
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 4:09pm On Jan 29, 2007
saw blood diamonds yesterday!! grin

djimon honsou(hope i spelt that rite) deserves an award for that. if not for anything, for all the wahala he did in the movie.
really a nice movie. deserves an award.
diCaprio was also good, as usual.

rating. . .8 out of 10
Re: The Oscars 2007 by toptho(f): 11:01pm On Jan 29, 2007
Heard Pursuit of happyness is a tearjerker,i will be watching it this weekend,will smith's child is so cute.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by bluenubian(f): 11:25pm On Jan 29, 2007
Djimon hounsou out of all people deserve to win

am glad dream girls didn't get nominated for best picture, the golden globe was jus kissing their butts by nominating them so many time, the movie was aight, got too much props if u ask me

i love Merle Streep but i don't think she ll beat Miren on this one

"Letters from Iwo Jima" is sure to win best picture
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Seun(m): 9:53am On Jan 30, 2007
Is "Letters From Iwojima" a patriotic film? I hate such films. Films hat glorify "heroism" i.e. reckless violence.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:25pm On Jan 30, 2007
It's about World War 2 so yes

Clint Eastwood is getting on my nerves now with his "pity me" movies and he knows American dolts eat that nonsense up.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Eurphoria(f): 6:26pm On Jan 30, 2007
Toh
shut the fuk up thats my fav actor and director you chatting about there tongue angry
Re: The Oscars 2007 by bluenubian(f): 6:29pm On Jan 30, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Clint Eastwood is getting on my nerves now with his "pity me" movies and he knows American dolts eat that nonsense up.

lol you so right grin , but hey u gotta give him props,the guy is almost 77 and still doing big things
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Eurphoria(f): 6:32pm On Jan 30, 2007
TOH
you of all ppl shud appreciate what he is doing with his movies, he is giving you a side to stories and history that hollywood would otherwise, airbrush over and tell you what you want to hear . He is a very intelligent man Clint. For real T you of all ppl should appreciate him, infact i thot you would like his view.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by neelsel(f): 6:37pm On Jan 30, 2007
Eurphoria:

Toh
shut the fuk up thats my fav actor and director you chatting about there tongue angry

Europhria, I have never seen this side of you girlfriend, who trouble you now?
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:37pm On Jan 30, 2007
lol I never said he wasnt intelligent, E. Just seems like he purposely does these movies to get Oscar recognition or maybe I just want him to get the hell out of the way and let Martin Scorcese finally get what he's due  wink

plus Iwo Jima is a stupid part of history. People were dying in the hands of the nazis all over and it was when Japan blew up Pearl Habor that the Americans started to show up. They should be ashamed of themselves
Re: The Oscars 2007 by neelsel(f): 6:40pm On Jan 30, 2007
Historian Thiefs, wow! and how they said you weren't smart tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Eurphoria(f): 6:41pm On Jan 30, 2007
I hear you just. But i don't think he does it just for the oscars, even if he did ,well he is doing great. I reckon he just enjoys telling the other side of things. Infact i really appreciate it, because you know many young people don't read about history and things, atleast they get fed the real story by my guy clint kiss instead of the usuaul big hollywood flicks.

Take million dollar baby, if he had gone the hollywood route you know what the story would have been cheesy. He is a realist , i like that
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Eurphoria(f): 6:42pm On Jan 30, 2007
neelsel cheesy wats up !!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Where Can I Download Game Of Thrones Season 7 / NTA Presenter Abdulrasaq Aremu Gawat Found In Ibadan / Stephanie Okereke's Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.