Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:12 PM

Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 (14299 Views)

Denrele Attacked For Sending Beverly Osu To Represent Nigeria At Big Brother / Tonto Dike To Represent Nigeria In Big Brother Africa / The Oscars 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 4:36am On Feb 23, 2013
c.fours:

whatever floats your boat. Oscars is an American/European thing.
do you see Americans fighting over representation in Nollywood?
Why should we be fighting over who gets to go represent in Oscars? who cares?
we have our own award ceremony.

and just for the records. She is NOT representing Africa at the Oscars. The movie was created, produced and directed by oyinbos. Just because she acted in it doesn't mean she automatically is representing all Africans.

all these Oyinbo worshippers don tire me.

Oh be quiet. Your so called Nollywood stars would sell their soul for a chance to act in that movie. She has reached the place every actor in this world dreams of. She got there with pure talent. Didn't have to walk around half naked or sleep with anyone to get the role. I'm just gonna tell it like it is boo.

2 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by s25million: 4:36am On Feb 23, 2013
c.fours:

whatever floats your boat. Oscars is an American/European thing.
do you see Americans fighting over representation in Nollywood?
Why should we be fighting over who gets to go represent in Oscars? who cares?
we have our own award ceremony.

and just for the records. She is NOT representing Africa at the Oscars. The movie was created, produced and directed by Canadians. Just because she acted in it doesn't mean she automatically is representing all Africans.
Remember Slumdog Millionaire, the American movie about India. So will you say that Freida Pinto is representing India? She is NOT even a bollywood actress. Do you see indians fighting over that? NO most indians could care less. they prefer their bollywood actresses.

all these Oyinbo worshippers don tire me.
tell me about it.@ his or your rib whatever, even miss universe finds nigerians attractive so cut me some damn slacks and quit hating.

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 4:37am On Feb 23, 2013
$25 million:
if they irritate you so much as you have projected, get off their damn forum and stop whining. Your post stinks of myriads of bitterness, hate and envy. It's becoming an eyesore.

Funny. I can do what I want. Btw, if you can't take the heat stay out the kitchen. Deuces!
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 4:41am On Feb 23, 2013
$25 million:
if they irritate you so much as you have projected, get off their damn forum and stop whining. Your post stinks of myriads of bitterness, hate and envy. It's becoming an eyesore.

The last time I checked Seun did not create this forum for nigerians only! Stop with the xenophobia and bush mind. People can disagree and still cohabitate

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by jesusisgood(f): 4:42am On Feb 23, 2013
@OP

Rebelle wasn't nominated for an Academy Award. This is the official site:

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Am I missing something?
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 4:43am On Feb 23, 2013
$25 million:
tell me about it.@ his or your rib whatever, even miss universe finds nigerians attractive so cut me some damn slacks and quit hating.

Miss Universe finds Nigerians attractive? Okay they find Ghanaians, South Africans, Congolese, Kenyans and others attractive too. So, what's your point?
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 4:45am On Feb 23, 2013
jesusisgood: @OP

Rebelle wasn't nominated for an Academy Award. This is the official site:

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Am I missing something?

The Oscars is an informal name for the Academy Awards.

Thanks
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 4:45am On Feb 23, 2013
$25 million:

Who is talking about attractiveness? cheesy retarded comment!
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 4:46am On Feb 23, 2013
HisRib:

Thanks
cheesy
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by jesusisgood(f): 4:46am On Feb 23, 2013
HisRib:

Thanks

I know it is. I am not arguing that, but your article says that Rebelle was nominated for an Oscars, but that is not true.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by s25million: 4:46am On Feb 23, 2013
@kenyattaMoore:

The last time I checked Seun did not create this forum for nigerians only! Stop with the xenophobia and bush mind. People can disagree and still cohabitate
I hv a grasp of that maam but you don't keep speaking with contempt and simultaneously patronising, it's baseless.

2 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by s25million: 4:49am On Feb 23, 2013
@kenyattaMoore:

Who is talking about attractiveness? cheesy retarded comment!
in reference to her previous post reticulating around the pronounced hate and saying Nigerians are full of themselves whilst clamouring for a date from the same despised axis. Isn't that self-conflicting

2 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by cfours: 4:51am On Feb 23, 2013
HisRib:
Yea foreigners watch Nollywood movies, but unfortunately that won't get us to Hollywood.

inferiority complex will not kill you.
I'm guessing you live in Nigeria. 99% of we Nigerians are suffering from inferiority complex anyways. na so so to dey worship oyinbo.
Just because oyinbo show you in his movie doesn't mean you are a good actor or actress. All it means is that you are good at acting like a stereotypical "primitive" african aka acting like a baboon. they see you as nothing more than a baboon. which is the image they always go for to portray Africans. Anywonder why all the movies they have about africa is always either about starving children, War or HIV/AIDS.
Why should star actresses like Genevieve Nnaja go to hollywood where the script they will give her is to scream like baboon and make voodoo noises or do tribal dance.
please don't insult our stars jare.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 4:53am On Feb 23, 2013
Anywho, I'm done with this thread. I made my point. If you care so much about Nollywood, tell them to stop acting like they've arrived and humble themselves. They will never get anywhere with that attitude, especially with very little talent & extremely poor quality. This young girl will be representing Africa and I'm so proud of her. I hope this will open doors for more talented African actors out there.

I have 0 hate against Nigerians. I love ALL my African people. I just know how to keep it real. I won't sugarcoat the truth to make you all feel better. Get off your high horse puhhhleasseee!

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by s25million: 4:53am On Feb 23, 2013
c.fours:

I'm guessing you live in Nigeria. 99% of we Nigerians are suffering from inferiority complex anyways. na so so to dey worship oyinbo.
Just because oyinbo show you in his movie doesn't mean you are a good actor or actress. All it means is that you are good at acting like a stereotypical "primitive" african aka acting like a baboon. they see you as nothing more than a baboon. which is the image they always go for to portray Africans. Anywonder why all the movies they have about africa is always either about starving children, War or HIV/AIDS.
Why should star actresses like Genevieve Nnaja go to hollywood where the script they will give her is to scream like baboon and make voodoo noises or do tribal dance.

no she's chinko-makosa

3 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by cfours: 4:55am On Feb 23, 2013
this is what you will see if nollywood actors and actresses are invited to Hollywood. they will be told to jump around like banshee monkeys.
to me that is disgraceful. let african actresses stay in africa jor. lets keep our pride. how many oyinbo are begging to appear in our movie. so why should we be salivating at opportunity to denigrate ourselves. tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfKgb2L7nnM
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 4:55am On Feb 23, 2013
c.fours:

Believe sweetie, it's too late for all that. Nollywood stars have already done a pretty good job at making themselves appear as goats and baboons.

-- HisRib
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by cfours: 4:57am On Feb 23, 2013
HisRib:

Believe sweetie, it's too late for all that. Nollywood stars have already done a pretty good job at making themselves appear as goats and baboons.

-- HisRib

whether goats or baboons at least we do it on our own independent platform.
if you want to go and slave for oyinbo you are free to do so. abi what's keeping you from becoming a hollywood actress seeing that you are so much better than our african stars?
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by truthisbitter: 5:03am On Feb 23, 2013
Stop arguing.

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 5:04am On Feb 23, 2013
c.fours:

whether goats or baboons at least we do it on our own independent platform.
if you want to go and slave for oyinbo you are free to do so. abi what's keeping you from becoming a hollywood actress seeing that you are so much better than our african stars?

I'm not an actress. It's not my craft. Did that ever cross your mind? I guess not.

Anywho, your Nollywood actors would do anything to be in Rachel's position. The Oscar is where EVERY actor wants to be. That is FACT.

It's the same as being given the choice to attend a local Nigerian University or Harvard University. Every educated person dreams of going to a school like Harvard. Actors DREAM of attending the Oscars.

I'm swimming with facts, while you drown in your opinions.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by cfours: 5:05am On Feb 23, 2013
jesusisgood:

I know it is. I am not arguing that, but your article says that Rebelle was nominated for an Oscars, but that is not true.

Canada’s ‘Rebelle’ nominated for Oscar for best foreign-language film
The child soldier saga Rebelle has nabbed an Academy Award nomination for best foreign-language film, putting Canada in the race for Oscar glory for the third year in a row.
The nod is the first for Montreal filmmaker Kim Nguyen, who focused his lens on the grim lives of child soldiers in Sub-Saharan Africa.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/awards-and-festivals/film-awards/canadas-rebelle-nominated-for-oscar-for-best-foreign-language-film/article7158692/
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by truthisbitter: 5:13am On Feb 23, 2013
^
Ok, thanks. On the official website of the Academy, the movie's name was War Witch. So that's where the confusion came.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by cfours: 5:15am On Feb 23, 2013
HisRib:

I'm not an actress. It's not my craft. Did that ever cross your mind? I guess not.
Anywho, your Nollywood actors would do anything to be in Rachel's position. The Oscar is where EVERY actor wants to be. That is FACT.
It's the same as being given the choice to attend a local Nigerian University or Harvard University. Every educated person dreams of going to a school like Harvard. Actors DREAM of attending the Oscars.
I'm swimming with facts, while you drown in your opinions.

Well of course. Like I said, 99% of Nigerians have inferiority complex. including our stars.
But just because an actor dreams of attending the Oscars doesn't mean they would want to go through the demeaning treatment or uninteresting work to get there.

the comparison you make to harvard is very off. Harvard is an academic institution. Hollywood is a cultural institution. big difference.
Academics is more netural (although not completely so). people from different countries can compete with each other academically. hence why harvard is open to everybody (although there is some racism there)

but when it comes to hollywood. we are talking about american culture. Even the hardest working people on earth (chinese) are very rare in hollywood.It's not because they are lazy. but because americans will always be better at being American.
photocopy ko easy.

if we are to create a pidgin english movie, who do you think will be the best actors or actresses? cool of course it will be africans because we are natural at it. it's part of our culture. yorubas will always be best at yoruba movie etc. indians will always be the best at bollywood. likewise whites will be best in hollywood.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by s25million: 5:29am On Feb 23, 2013
@myrib grin grin grin no doubt the young lady made an admirable feat of reaching the zenith of motion pictures, but the brawl however isn't questioning her success but your lack of subtlety in expressing your contempt for anything Nigerian. This trend I followed closely from your preceding topics. We love you though. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by truthisbitter: 5:33am On Feb 23, 2013
@c.fours
Oh boy, you talk too much sense. One gbosa for you.

Indeed, the yardstick with which we judge ourselves is mostly that of the western world. Why can't we have our own Harvard? Why can't we have our own Oscars? Even the name "Nollywood" is a play on "Hollywood", a total shame. Why did we have to name ourselves after them? I also understand HisRib's stance; these are the standards that have been set and most---if not all---artists aspire to earn an Academy Award someday. I don't think we believe in ourselves to achieve such feats. We love the white man's ways too much.

2 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by s25million: 5:43am On Feb 23, 2013
c.fours:

Well of course. Like I said, 99% of Nigerians have inferiority complex. including our stars.
But just because an actor dreams of attending the Oscars doesn't mean they would want to go through the demeaning treatment or uninteresting work to get there.

the comparison you make to harvard is very off. Harvard is an academic institution. Hollywood is a cultural institution. big difference.
Academics is more netural (although not completely so). people from different countries can compete with each other academically. hence why harvard is open to everybody (although there is some racism there)

but when it comes to hollywood. we are talking about american culture. Even the hardest working people on earth (chinese) are very rare in hollywood.It's not because they are lazy. but because americans will always be better at being American.
photocopy ko easy.

if we are to create a pidgin english movie, who do you think will be the best actors or actresses? cool of course it will be africans because we are natural at it. it's part of our culture. yorubas will always be best at yoruba movie etc. indians will always be the best at bollywood. likewise whites will be best in hollywood.
That's one reason I held ghadaffi in high esteem, he wasn't a western stooge. Be proud of your heritage and style and stop making the western lines your yardstick. It is an acute socio-cultural impairment. Americans thinks makossa dancing men look like fagg.ots but on the contrary I believe it's their culture. The richest black African dangote(Nigerian) needn't solicit the approval of the west before reaching that altitude.

4 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 7:23am On Feb 23, 2013
Not good but better than those shameless 'nude-parading' ghanian actresses.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 7:35am On Feb 23, 2013
Genevieve , omotola , mercy johnson, and the likes of them that are always on out magazine covers feeling like demi Gods, can u imagine the oscars organizers do not even know of their local existence ?! Smfh
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 7:42am On Feb 23, 2013
Have u ever heard of the term "neo-colonialism" believe it or not africa in an unofficial way is still under the guadiance , followership of the western world, and feel the need to solicit their approval before conclusion on basic societal matters. For some reason africa isnt actually an independent continent. Take it or leave it. Imagine african actors fighting tooth and nail to be recongnized by our colonial masters, even we (africans) dont even appreciate our own. Always trying to copy the ways of the western world. I would never forget what iceprince said in an interview "why would i go abroad to seek collaboration with a foreign artiste, why dont the foreign artiste come down here and try to seek collaboration with me" sounds cheeky but theres some sense in every nonsense.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 7:44am On Feb 23, 2013
c.fours:
The title of this thread is SOOO misleading. She is not going to represent Africa, per se. She is going to represent herself and the movie she starred in, War Witch, which is a Canadian movie about Africa and was produced by a Canadian/Vietnamese film maker. This movie was nominated for an Oscar award.

Thank you very much for that. Trust Nigerians to latch themselves onto an article something that doesn't concern us in any way, shape or form lol. Congolese girl dey go Oscars and we now remember we are 'African' hahaha yet na we dey insult every African country anyhow lol. That yeye pride that has been killing us from day one will still be killing us on the last day. Someone mentioned 'humility'... that word and Nigeria no dey siddon for the same sentence grin

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 7:56am On Feb 23, 2013
jesusisgood:

Can you please scroll down the very link YOU provided and have a look at 'War Witch' under Foreign Languae Film? Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

BBNaija: 7 Remarkable Highlights From ‘Level Up’ Season / Photos From The Amvcas 2016 Nominee Announcement Event / Prison Break Season 5/6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.