Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,750 members, 7,813,468 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 (14297 Views)

Denrele Attacked For Sending Beverly Osu To Represent Nigeria At Big Brother / Tonto Dike To Represent Nigeria In Big Brother Africa / The Oscars 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by jesusisgood(f): 8:03am On Feb 23, 2013
VillageBoi: Can you please scroll down the very link YOU provided and have a look at 'War Witch' under Foreign Languae Film? Thanks.

Thanks. I already did that earlier, but I didn't know that War Witch was the same as Rebelle. That was the cause of the confusion.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 8:06am On Feb 23, 2013
jesusisgood:

Thanks. I already did that earlier, but I didn't know that War Witch was the same as Rebelle. That was the cause of the confusion.

Yeah it is confusing. No probs, glad it got cleared up!
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Proffdada: 8:19am On Feb 23, 2013
It's an insult
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by alamkah: 8:19am On Feb 23, 2013
50calibre: Where those our nigerian mushroom local champion celebrity actresses and actors? I know some of them go, go do wake pass for there.
we don't need them. Our actors an actresses hav already made it. Gradually, wit d passage of time, they wil come down hia an collect award from us.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by purplebrown: 8:32am On Feb 23, 2013
Dude stop lying she's not the only one
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 8:41am On Feb 23, 2013
huni_naija:
And look who shows up? If not The biggest id.i.ott of them all.. Next time speak when you're addressed to i don't expect you to know that going by your username...
I may not know a lot about the movie industry but...

Ah, so you know you know nothing about the film industry... well stop your baseless arguing, try to read a book sometime instead of soft-sell magazines!

HisRib:

Villageboi you're so right. Nigerians are starting to think they are the ones who've opened the doors for African actors. Africans have been acting long before Nollywood came around. If these Nigerian actors were as good as some people on this forum have claimed, why aren't they at the oscars? Not even invited as guests!

Nollywood actors think they've arrived. No boo, they have a LONG way to go before anyone takes them seriously!

Ask any Nigerian what they came in class and they will all answer "I came first." - so no Nigerian came second or 10th or last? Then some argue "Why should we care about the Oscars, it's a 'white' thing" Oh please, dare any Nigerian film get there and we will never hear the end of it... infact we will then claim we created the Oscars. We're bitter because our 'current' films are too crappy to get there - simple; so we shout 'slavery, racism and colonial mentality' - duh!! We should all be proud but ridiculous, stupidly blind pride is a very bad thing.

Every nation every actor would love to get there. Can we? Yes, definitely! Afterall Nigerian surgeons are some of the best the world over... they were not graded on a 'local babalawo, witch doctor level'; but they were on an 'international' level which is what the major film festivals/awards be it Cannes, Venice, Germany, Sundance & the Oscars do. If our 'product' is good enough it will get there and if it isn't it won't... so why all the moaning and groaning. And I can bet many of these people won't even pay to see a Nigerian film - they are the ones asking for 'free download links' as soon as a film is made. We're not even supporting said industry yet we are the noisiest annoying big-mouths about it.

Filmmaking is filmmaking irrespective of country of origin. All we have to do is 'fully' support our industry and work very hard to make films as good as anything else out there. But knowing my fellow Nigerians they'll wonder why should we 'work hard' for a 'right' we can collet through Praying & Fasting Plc. SMH!

2 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by jesusisgood(f): 8:50am On Feb 23, 2013
@VillageBoi

I understand all your points and I agree with so many of them. Our chief concern is that our standards are measured against that of the western world. We always look to them for approval and we are neither creative nor imaginative in coming up with novel ideas. Of course, our current movies are nothing to write home about. They are embarrassingly egregious and unprofessional. Why couldn't we have given our film industry any name apart from Nollywood? There is no place in Nigeria called "Nollywood"; however, there is an Hollywood in California.

I would like to live to an age where Westerners want to excel like us, where they dream of achieving greatness in a particular field like us, and when coming to our country will be a dream fulfilled. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime, because I am a realistic person. I also doubt any of our actors will win an Academy Award, with their current level of acting. My brother, e bad no be small.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by otokx(m): 8:50am On Feb 23, 2013
goodluck to her
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by jesusisgood(f): 8:57am On Feb 23, 2013
@Villageboi

And you are right, if a Nigerian ever wins an Oscar, we no go hear word for life. grin

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 9:47am On Feb 23, 2013
jesusisgood: @VillageBoi

I understand all your points and I agree with so many of them. Our chief concern is that our standards are measured against that of the western world. We always look to them for approval and we are neither creative nor imaginative in coming up with novel ideas. Of course, our current movies are nothing to write home about. They are embarrassingly egregious and unprofessional. Why couldn't we have given our film industry any name apart from Nollywood? There is no place in Nigeria called "Nollywood"; however, there is an Hollywood in California.

I would like to live to an age where Westerners want to excel like us, where they dream of achieving greatness in a particular field like us, and when coming to our country will be a dream fulfilled. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime, because I am a realistic person. I also doubt any of our actors will win an Academy Award, with their current level of acting. My brother, e bad no be small.

I hear you but do we really have to keep on fooling ourselves?

Simple FACT - the world argued before they agreed what 'universal' unit is a gramme, a second, a yard, a mile and so on. They had scientists and great thinkers working out solutions to problems for years and years... yes they did have bitter arguments but they knew they had to swallow their individual pride and 'agree' on something.

What thinkers do we have? What creations and inventions have we contributed to the world? Absolutely NOTHING. What interests us is saying "I sent my private jet to Paris to pick up afternoon ice-cream" - (true story). Yet by some miracle we think the day will come when the 'West' will want te excel like us, dream of achieving greatness like us? How? And on what planet? A Nigerian will not even go to his local carpenter to get a settee made rather he will have to import from Dubai that actually imported it from Italy so he can say "I have arrived, bow ye down and kiss my a$$." We can sometimes be useless idiots - shameful FACT!

Ministers here ride bicycles to work (not even okada but ke-ke) yet our council chief will need a convoy of 'latest' cars. I hear your pain, it pains me too. Nigerians have progressively become more stupid - go and watch videos from the 50's & 60's on youtube - even market traders then had a brilliant command of English and were very articulate but now we churn out graduates that can't even string a half-complex sentence together.

I disagree that we are looking to 'them' for approval; it simply is the 'standard' by which things are already measured. They went through the whole process of learning by trial and error - making ancient cameras, figuring out film stock and chemical processing, what are the slowest frame rates are closest to what the human eye sees (cost cutting), what works and what doesn't, the present shift to digital and so on - they have a hundred year start over us yet should come to us for approval?.. We should be serious and not fall for such a big-headed joke.

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by jesusisgood(f): 9:57am On Feb 23, 2013
^
I tire jare. Maybe our great-great-great grand children will fare better. You just remind me of all the assaults that Nigerian actors and screenwriters have dished out on the English language. It should be a crime. grin
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 9:59am On Feb 23, 2013
jesusisgood: ^
I tire jare. Maybe our great-great-great grand children will fare better. You just remind me of all the assaults that Nigerian actors and screenwriters have dished out on the English language. It should be a crime. grin

Lol... our phonetics na Oscar winning accent hahaha.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Dibiachukwu: 10:40am On Feb 23, 2013
VillageBoi:

Lol... our phonetics na Oscar winning accent hahaha.
Why are Niggerians so jealous of this girl's success. They don't want to invite you, is it by force. Why does anybody want to visit a piggy celebration anyway undecided
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 11:06am On Feb 23, 2013
Dibiachukwu:
Why are Niggerians so jealous of this girl's success. They don't want to invite you, is it by force.

I have no idea why Nigerians are jealous of the girl's success... oh well, it must be a bad belle thing!
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by clemmonce(m): 11:14am On Feb 23, 2013
yertyr: I'm not surprised wen tonto dike go wear bikini wen presumin to be playin a role in the 30's. Our films seem not to surpass africa.
bros God bless you. na so you go see jim iyke dey act secondary school student .. how we go gain international recognition...

2 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Orikinla(m): 11:34am On Feb 23, 2013
Even Queen of Nollywood Genevieve and Omotola are yet to achieve half of what Rachel Mwanza has accomplished without appearing on Oprah or making noise on BBC.
Mwanza had no acting experience before being cast in "War Witch" of Canadian filmmaker Kim Nguyen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX5jXeXPTB4

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Orikinla(m): 12:01pm On Feb 23, 2013
HisRib:

These people annoy me! Sorry if I sound mad! Nigerians are too full of themselves. Some of them need a good reality check. They need to know that Nollywood is & will remain irrelevant until they step up their game.

[size=18pt]I have over flogged Nollywood on the professional ignorance of majority of our actors, actresses, directors, producers and others. But they still prefer their quantity over quality and mediocrity over genius.
You don't need to feature in over 2000 home videos to make Oscars, because just one film like "War Witch" is enough to take you there. Rachel Mwanza deserves her awards and making it to the Oscars in the foreign language film category. We have some highly gifted Nigerian film makers who will make it to the Oscars one fine day and one of them is Mrs. Tope Oshin-Ogun. Her film "Journey To Self" is as good as the best in Hollywood. In fact it is a masterpiece in narrative cinema. Tope is a genius.[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4HJBNIBsno

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 2:49pm On Feb 23, 2013
clemmonce: bros God bless you. na so you go see jim iyke dey act secondary school student .. how we go gain international recognition...

LOL
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 3:03pm On Feb 23, 2013
My issue with Nollywood is that they refuse to improve. Big actors/actresses like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Will Smith (and more), still take classes to improve their craft. In Hollywood even big time actors audition for roles, producers need to make sure they fit the role. Nollywood has received a bit of success & they think they are the best now. They have a LONG way to go!

Those of you saying you don't care about Nigerian actors being at the oscars are LIARS. Hollywood is the "Mecca" of film making. EVERY actor dreams of making it there!

Rachel got there -- that's a HUGE accomplishment. The movie got nominated because of her! The performance of the actors makes the movie!

2 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Originalsly: 3:15pm On Feb 23, 2013
@Orikinla...you are funny! Journey to Self is a masterpiece?...as good as the best from Hollywood?...and Tope is the director that so impress you? From the clip you provided I can tell you that there are much better directors right here on Nairaland. She is a dime a dozen director...no difference than the ones churning out high volumes of movies.The first girl decided to commit suicide...by drowning herself?...in a swimming pool? Then the second girl that is about to rescue her....instead of just jumping in the pool...she runs all the way around to use the steps...then she swims to the victim! This is hilarious! ...and people wondering why Naija films can't get nominated!
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by tpia5: 3:21pm On Feb 23, 2013
But knowing my fellow Nigerians they'll wonder why should we 'work hard' for a 'right' we can collet through Praying & Fasting Plc. SMH!

maybe you mean through fetish practices and snatching married men, because i fail to see where or when praying and fasting became, or has ever been, associated with the nigerian movie industry.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by tpia5: 3:35pm On Feb 23, 2013
lets clarify a few things here:

hollywood actors of nigerian origin

adewale akinnaje

chiwetel

sophie okonedo

hope laide

the lady in tiron

etc etc

nigerian actors from nollywood

benjamin

jim ike

omotola

genevieve

saidi

kate henshaw

etc etc.

now, has anyone ever seen or heard anyone from either group refer to the other? No.

Has nollywood ever publicly acknowledged the nigerian actors in hollywood, expressed any appreciation for their work there, or asked for inspiration, advice or knowledge on how to improve the acting performance?

Not as far as i know, could be wrong.

we feel we have nothing to learn from them i suppose, thus no effort is made to reach out to them or their sponsors, for help with the home grown movie scene.

if this assumption is incorrect, then let me know.

of course it could also be the actors arent in tune with nigeria since they were born/raised abroad, or nigerians wouldnt tolerate them if they attempted to give input, however, i find it strange no nigerian actor has ever mentioned them during a speech or award ceremony.

so, who are the nigerian actors' muses or role models?

myself?
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 4:27pm On Feb 23, 2013
tpia@:

maybe you mean through fetish practices and snatching married men, because i fail to see where or when praying and fasting became, or has ever been, associated with the nigerian movie industry.

Hahahahaha isn't Praying & Fasting Plc the only thing we Nigerians do for EVERYTHING because we're too lazy to think up solutions to our problems? Ok juju included for weekdays then off to some church over the weekend grin
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 4:28pm On Feb 23, 2013
Originalsly: The first girl decided to commit suicide...by drowning herself?...in a swimming pool? Then the second girl that is about to rescue her....instead of just jumping in the pool...she runs all the way around to use the steps...then she swims to the victim! This is hilarious! ...and people wondering why Naija films can't get nominated!

Yup, just what I thought... forget your fake hair and dive straight into the da.mn pool if na life you wan save lol.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Orikinla(m): 5:15pm On Feb 23, 2013
Originalsly: @Orikinla...you are funny! Journey to Self is a masterpiece?...as good as the best from Hollywood?...and Tope is the director that so impress you? From the clip you provided I can tell you that there are much better directors right here on Nairaland. She is a dime a dozen director...no difference than the ones churning out high volumes of movies.The first girl decided to commit suicide...by drowning herself?...in a swimming pool? Then the second girl that is about to rescue her....instead of just jumping in the pool...she runs all the way around to use the steps...then she swims to the victim! This is hilarious! ...and people wondering why Naija films can't get nominated!

You are confused.
Nobody wanted to commit suicide in a swimming pool in the movie.
So, you got it all wrong.
Pele. grin

[size=28pt]Journey To Self - Movie Synopsis

‘Journey to Self’ is an intense story of friendship, sacrifice, empowerment and self-respect.

Four childhood friends, Regina, Nse, Rume and Alex, receive news that another long time friend of theirs, Uche, has died.

Uche was the magnet that pulled her friends together and over the years had become their shoulder to cry on, so much so in fact that she never felt she could tell them about her own problems.

As part of her last request, the ladies travel to Uche’s home in Abuja for her funeral.

The four ladies, on arriving at Uche’s house, find that she has left a series of letters in which she speaks to them from beyond the grave. The letters provoke her friends to open up on emotional baggage, as secrets and fears are revealed, leading to a journey of self discovery. For Regina, Nse, Rume and Alex the weekend they spend in Uche’s house becomes an emotional roller coaster as individual characters are tested.

‘Journey to Self’ is an intense, dialogue-based movie where the viewer is sure to embark on the same emotional journey as with the characters.

'Journey To Self' stars Nse Ikpe-Etim as 'Nse', Dakore Akande as 'Alex', Ashionye Michelle Raccah as 'Regina', Katherine Obiang as 'Rume' and Tosin Sido as 'Uche'. It also features Carol King with cameo appearances by Kalu Ikeagwu, Femi Brainard, Femi Jacobs and Chris Attoh.

'Journey To Self' is directed by Tope Oshin-Ogun, Executive Produced by Tosin Sido for Fressia Entertainment and written & Produced by Ashionye Michelle Raccah.

This is a movie that women should take their men to see!
[/size]
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 7:06pm On Feb 23, 2013
Orikinla:

You are confused.
Nobody wanted to commit suicide in a swimming pool in the movie.
So, you got it all wrong.
Pele. grin

But the Director said exactly that in the clip you posted; she said "Blah, blah girl was TRYING TO DROWN HERSELF IN THE POOL..." I'm sure the Director can't be wrong about her version of the story/event.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 11:39pm On Feb 23, 2013
jesusisgood: @Villageboi
And you are right, if a Nigerian ever wins an Oscar, we no go hear word for life. grin

Hehehehehehe you go far self. Common to submit film for 'consideration' we go get 50 national holidays, kill 100s of cows and shout at the top of our voices "We have arrived, we are even better than Hollywood." I've bought ear-plugs, go buy ya own too because the bragging is gonna be very painful to the ears lol.

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by tpia5: 1:30am On Feb 24, 2013
VillageBoi:

Hahahahaha isn't Praying & Fasting Plc the only thing we Nigerians do for EVERYTHING because we're too lazy to think up solutions to our problems? Ok juju included for weekdays then off to some church over the weekend grin

STOP TELLING LIES.

fetish is what's associated with the nigerian movie industry.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 4:50am On Feb 24, 2013
VillageBoi:

Hehehehehehe you go far self. Common to submit film for 'consideration' we go get 50 national holidays, kill 100s of cows and shout at the top of our voices "We have arrived, we are even better than Hollywood." I've bought ear-plugs, go buy ya own too because the bragging is gonna be very painful to the ears lol.

LOL. That's so true. What amazes me is how the producers of the movie skipped all the "talented" actors/actresses in Nollywood for a former street child with no acting experience. This should be a wake up call for Nollywood.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 4:57am On Feb 24, 2013
tpia@:

STOP TELLING LIES.
fetish is what's associated with the nigerian movie industry.

Na wa o... all this Nollywood juju, Nollywood juju wey you dey hala siiiiince na instant proof of my theory; instead make you double check common dictionary na 'Fraying and Pwasting' you depend on to try get basic understanding of word 'EVERYTHING' abi? Hissssss... anuofia!

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 5:03am On Feb 24, 2013
Nollywood will surely improve..
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 5:09am On Feb 24, 2013
CFCfan: Nollywood will surely improve..

I hope they do.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

BBNaija: 7 Remarkable Highlights From ‘Level Up’ Season / Photos From The Amvcas 2016 Nominee Announcement Event / Prison Break Season 5/6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.