Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,804 members, 7,827,955 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Advice Atheists Thread - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Advice Atheists Thread (4213 Views)

Atheists Make More 'spiritual', 'emotional' Irrational Decisions Than They Admit / Obadiah Is Right- Nl/nigerian Atheists Are Losers That Need To Step Up / Dawkins Tells Atheists To "Mock Religion With Contempt," And Ravi's Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Creatrixity(m): 8:11pm On Feb 26, 2013
Logicboy03:

Why are you so judgemental?

You dont know my ideas (not plans) about the north or if I have even lived in the north.

So keep your advice to yourself.
Not again..you are the one being judgemental here by accusing me of being judgemental while i had no such intention in mind..look,i am not here to be troublesome..
Ideas are nothing without data...
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by jayriginal: 10:20pm On Feb 27, 2013
brokoto: Let me say this: I don't think religion is necessarily a bad thing. People need it as a form of solace and comfort in this our difficult country. Most people need it as a sort of moral compass in their life. These people don't need to be told that their life is false, it will kill them.

jayriginal: You know, religion isnt always such a bad thing.

For instance, Anony needs religion to refrain from killing stealing and r.aping. Now would you want an "atheist" Anony on the loose ?

I know I wouldnt.

Another fellow says that " . . . immorality is a natural and logical corrolary of atheism "
https://www.nairaland.com/1198534/cowardice-atheism/10#14364222

Now, we wouldnt want these type of people without religion since that is apparently all that holds them in check.

EDITED:
I put in the correct link

*In yoruba accent*

Aaaaaahhhhh !!!
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 10:25pm On Feb 27, 2013
jayriginal:

*In yoruba accent*

Aaaaaahhhhh !!!

Dont mind Anony, he is just lying.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by jayriginal: 10:35pm On Feb 27, 2013
Logicboy03:

Dont mind Anony, he is just lying.

He may not be oh.

He just might need ancient texts and threats of eternal punishment in the "afterlife" to refrain from inhumanity. Same as the other fellow. cool

1 Like

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 12:12am On Feb 28, 2013
jayriginal:

He may not be oh.

He just might need ancient texts and threats of eternal punishment in the "afterlife" to refrain from inhumanity. Same as the other fellow. cool
me?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by jayriginal: 5:01am On Feb 28, 2013
brokoto: me?

Not you bro.

A certain fellow who claimed that " . . . immorality is a natural and logical corrolary of atheism "
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by ooman(m): 2:06pm On Mar 01, 2013
I have this problem with young atheists. They are always afraid of telling their parents about their atheism and they are not comfortable with going to church or mosque, attending prayers, bible studies and others.

One teen who tried to let his parents know got forced up to a mountain, where prayer was conducted for some weeks. The parents were trying to force out "the spirit of atheism" from their son. Other teens around have since hushed themselves concerning their convictions.
Another one who tried got forced out of school and out of home until he abjured his atheism.

We have teens in Nigeria who have realized how religion poisons everything and how their future is not certain if they allow God in it. I move around Lagos and other parts of Nigeria a lot. There are considerable numbers of atheists who are teens in Ikeja, V.I, Ikoyi to Egbeda, Agege etc. we also have a number in Ibadan, Ado-Ekiti, Ife. In Kano, Hausa Christians dare not talk about their new found religion not to talk of atheism so i didnt get any atheist there, except on the internet but the veracity is not confirmed. In Enugu, only in UNN did i get some teens who agreed to being atheists. Outside the school, they dont try it. One teen told me how his distant families called him a wizard.

The question is this: How do we offer security and build the morale of young atheists in Nigeria.
Advice needed urgently, i have teens to get back to.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 2:23pm On Mar 01, 2013
ooman: I have this problem with young atheists. They are always afraid of telling their parents about their atheism and they are not comfortable with going to church or mosque, attending prayers, bible studies and others.

One teen who tried to let his parents know got forced up to a mountain, where prayer was conducted for some weeks. The parents were trying to force out "the spirit of atheism" from their son. Other teens around have since hushed themselves concerning their convictions.
Another one who tried got forced out of school and out of home until he abjured his atheism.

We have teens in Nigeria who have realized how religion poisons everything and how their future is not certain if they allow God in it. I move around Lagos and other parts of Nigeria a lot. There are considerable numbers of atheists who are teens in Ikeja, V.I, Ikoyi to Egbeda, Agege etc. we also have a number in Ibadan, Ado-Ekiti, Ife. In Kano, Hausa Christians dare not talk about their new found religion not to talk of atheism so i didnt get any atheist there, except on the internet but the veracity is not confirmed. In Enugu, only in UNN did i get some teens who agreed to being atheists. Outside the school, they dont try it. One teen told me how his distant families called him a wizard.

The question is this: How do we offer security and build the morale of young atheists in Nigeria.
Advice needed urgently, i have teens to get back to.

Are you mad?

You want these guys to be kicked out on the streets? Abeg ooo! Just advice these teens to be silent about their atheism till they can stand on their own. As at early last year, I was even going to church sef, just to get my parents off my back.

However, if you want to influence teens, tell them to be smart. Smart people dont talk a lot in real life. They should observe and note things down. They should realise that they are the minority and have to be 2 steps ahead of the majority. Life is not a bed of roses. Tell them that they can research and comment on the internet where there is anonymity. They should also never give their real names and info on the internet because it can be used against them.

Also tell them that they should live a life of example. They shouldnt think that because they are right that it gives them a chance to be azzholes. They should use reason and logic to ground their morality. Do unto others (reciprocal values) and always look to minimize harm and conflict with others. Part of respected people and elders is allowing them to spout their beliefs unless when you are endangered.

The best of all is to tell them to always ask for evidence if someone tells them something. As for life skills, tell them that lfe is beautiful and they should understand what their talent is. When they find it, they should use it to get where they want to get in life.

3 Likes

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by ooman(m): 2:30pm On Mar 01, 2013
^^^^ nice
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 2:36pm On Mar 01, 2013
ooman: ^^^^ nice

cool cool

You seem to travel a lot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible / Jihad - Is It Only For Defence? / Evolution of the Porcupine and Bat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.