Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,700 members, 7,827,567 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Advice Atheists Thread - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Advice Atheists Thread (4212 Views)

Atheists Make More 'spiritual', 'emotional' Irrational Decisions Than They Admit / Obadiah Is Right- Nl/nigerian Atheists Are Losers That Need To Step Up / Dawkins Tells Atheists To "Mock Religion With Contempt," And Ravi's Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by prairie(f): 9:09pm On Feb 25, 2013
ooman4:

THE RELIGIOUS NEED OUR HELP, they need us to show them the way, the path to fulfilled life. We need to tell them that fulfillment is not found in a God but in our selves.

WE NEED TO GIVE PEOPLE FREEDOM FROM RELIGION WITHOUT TAKING AWAY THEIR RIGHTS.

We can do this by getting God out of our schools so that children will not be poisoned again from childhood.

WE NEED TO COME OUT AND SHOW PEOPLE OUR SUCCESSES, BY THAT, THEY WE COVET AND BECOME ATHEISTS, SINCE ATHEISTS ARE MORE SUCCESSFUL AFRICANS THAN THEISTS ARE.

We need to proclaim the TRUTH OF THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION

LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT. WE MUST ASSURE PEOPLE THAT HEAVEN AND HELL IS A FAIRY TALE FOR ADULTS. SUCH WORLD CANNOT EXIST. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE FOR CONSCIOUSNESS OUT OF THE MATERIAL STATE AND THERE IS NO EVIDENCE FOR THE SPIRITUAL STATE TOO.

THEN, THE BLACK MAN WILL KNOW SUCCESS, OR THE BEGINNING OF IT
Lol! How successful are u really? Evangelical atheist, ur not diff from d christian fanatic or muslim extremist, i can tell. Btw dont tell me u closed ur eyes to successful christians, though that isnt the main message of christ
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by prairie(f): 9:34pm On Feb 25, 2013
Y'all evangelical atheists should live and let live, logicboy ur agenda isnt humanism at all, thats just a guise, u just want christians to become atheists and all that crap, but do u know that once religion is out u have no yardstick to measure immorality, everything becomes anything goes, u guys talk like religion is all that bad, u forget christian missionaries started education in our part of d continent, if ur agenda is education fine! But dont put any hidden agenda, I'd have been happier if u were this excited abt going to the north and opening schools for women or advocating for women's rights instead ur hammering on a non-issue, all those people commiting atrocities in the name of being christian, u and i know that that isnt christianity, funny thing is that humanism is christianity dat makes ur agenda a christian one sef. Anyways my two kobo, peace be unto u smiley
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 9:47pm On Feb 25, 2013
How can a female be this dumb?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by ooman4: 12:52am On Feb 26, 2013
prairie: Lol! How successful are u really? Evangelical atheist, ur not diff from d christian fanatic or muslim extremist, i can tell. Btw dont tell me u closed ur eyes to successful christians, though that isnt the main message of christ

are you married, prairie?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 1:30am On Feb 26, 2013
Logicboy03: [size=18pt]Okay, what do you guys think of having debates in schools like UNILAG? [/size]

It would be a great way to get many rich young minds to reason. We could even call ourselves "christians for rationalism" and argue on the topic of "religion is not always good for Nigeria".

Crazy, I know........your thoughts?

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by ijawkid(m): 9:31am On Feb 26, 2013
[quote author=Logicboy03][/quote]why choose to lie to propagate ya falsehood...........??......why would you choose to call yourself a christian for rationalism.....??.....you don dey fear abi??......
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by ooman4: 9:38am On Feb 26, 2013
Religion here is terrorism, who would'nt fear angry
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by ijawkid(m): 9:40am On Feb 26, 2013
ooman4: Religion here is terrorism, who would'nt fear angry

Ahhhh!!!!!....I see.........if your endeavors would be worth the while why fear??...........
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by ooman4: 9:44am On Feb 26, 2013
ijawkid:

Ahhhh!!!!!....I see.........if your endeavors would be worth the while why fear??...........

I guess you just want to practice terrorism.

We are not fearing, we are only planning a safer way so that there will be no casualties from terrorists like you.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Seun(m): 10:20am On Feb 26, 2013
I don't think promoting atheism per se is worth it, but I like what James Randi is doing - promoting skepticism. He doesn't say "I want you to be an atheist". He conducts experiments to test the claims of people who claim to have supernatural powers and at the end he says "we've shown you the evidence, you make up your own mind". I like that approach. If religious people think you're trying to convert them, they'll close their ears and their minds (persecution complex), so we shouldn't do that. We should just challenge them to use their 'God-given' brains more often.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by ooman4: 10:39am On Feb 26, 2013
Seun: I don't think promoting atheism per se is worth it, but I like what James Randi is doing - promoting skepticism. He doesn't say "I want you to be an atheist". He conducts experiments to test the claims of people who claim to have supernatural powers and at the end he says "we've shown you the evidence, you make up your own mind". I like that approach. If religious people think you're trying to convert they'll close their ears and their minds (persecution complex), so we shouldn't do that. We should just challenge them to use their 'God-given' brains more often.

But the religious complex is an inferiority complex that brings laziness and lack of self confidence and belief in one's ability . How do we deal with that?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 11:07am On Feb 26, 2013
Seun: I don't think promoting atheism per se is worth it, but I like what James Randi is doing - promoting skepticism. He doesn't say "I want you to be an atheist". He conducts experiments to test the claims of people who claim to have supernatural powers and at the end he says "we've shown you the evidence, you make up your own mind". I like that approach. If religious people think you're trying to convert they'll close their ears and their minds (persecution complex), so we shouldn't do that. We should just challenge them to use their 'God-given' brains more often.

Just in case you didnt get the memo. No one is promoting atheism here.

Humanism? Yes

Skepticism? Yes
=============================

smiley smiley smiley
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Seun(m): 11:42am On Feb 26, 2013
ooman4: But the religious complex is an inferiority complex that brings laziness and lack of self confidence and belief in one's ability . How do we deal with that?
I'm not sure but I think most religious people have areas of their life where understand the need to be pragmatic and realistic and to use their best judgment. If they are exposed to the non-religious ways of looking at things over a long period of time, they may eventually accept that religion & morality are just other areas where it pays to be pragmatic and realistic and to think things through by themselves. We should just continue to discuss religious and moral issues with them respectfully; just exposing them to another way of looking at life and the world.

That doesn't mean many of them will become atheists, but I don't think that's the goal. The goal should be for them to be able to improve their lives by making better decisions as a result of having a more truthful understanding of the world around them. I have two good friends that are atheists in every way that matters, but they still claim to be Christians because they don't want to be ostracized by their family and community. I have no problem with that; I think their liberal approach to Christianity is still an improvement over fundamentalism and extremism.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Seun(m): 11:57am On Feb 26, 2013
Logicboy03: Just in case you didnt get the memo. No one is promoting atheism here.

Humanism? Yes

Skepticism? Yes
=============================
Ok. Let's talk about humanism and skepticism.

I think humanism is a dirty word to a Christian. It sounds as if it means the worship of humans instead of God. Exalting man above God, etc. So don't promote humanism. Skepticism is not so bad, but it sounds like a dirty word too. It sounds like the opposite of faith. Every Christian believes faith is good, so skepticism must be bad. If you set out to promote that, many Christians won't even listen to you. I think the best thing to promote is science. Science is alright; it's God's wisdom revealed to man. People know science works; but they believe it has limits beyond which only religion can provide solutions. So let's teach them more science. Let's make them see that many of the things they attribute to supernatural activity have already been addressed by science. Eventually, they may see the pattern - that things that are not explained by science today may be explained by science tomorrow, and so they do not really prove the existence of God. Etc.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 12:20pm On Feb 26, 2013
Seun:
Ok sir! Let's talk about humanism and skepticism.

I think humanism is a dirty word to a Christian. It sounds as if it means the worship of humans instead of God. Exalting man above God, etc. So don't promote humanism. Skepticism is not so bad, but it sounds like a dirty word too. It sounds like the opposite of faith. Every Christian believes faith is good, so skepticism must be bad. If you set out to promote that, many Christians won't even listen to you. I think the best thing to promote is science. Science is alright; it's God's wisdom revealed to man. People know science works; but they believe it has limits beyond which only religion can provide solutions. So let's teach them more science. Let's make them see that many of the things they attribute to supernatural activity have already been addressed by science. Eventually, they may see the pattern - that things that are not explained by science today may be explained by science tomorrow, and so they do not really prove the existence of God. Etc.

-First you say don't promote atheism; I agree but for a different reason (atheism is a disbelief- its better to promote a positive rather than an empty disbelief which is also quite paradoxical (promoting nothing))

-Second, you say dont promote humanism

-Third, you say dont promote skepticism

-Fourth, you say we should support science.

You sound like the Conservative American politicians- let send more troops to Iraq (despite the millions of troops failing to establish order there). You dont throw more money into a money guzzling situation. You dont throw more science at a place where science is misunderstood.

Have you tried to teach evolution and big bang to a 6 day creationists? You dont start with science, you start with skepticism. Skepticism is a fundamental tool of science. One has to question hypothesis, claims and theories and follow the evidence- that is skepticism. First, you tell the creationist that he has to follow evidence and question all claims. Show him that his creationism has no solid evidence and that the scientific theories have. He might argue but then he will see that you have more backing with your science.

As for humanism, teaching science does not translate into having a moral and upright society. There also has to be logic and philosophy. This is where humanism comes into play. We have traces of humanism across all religions and cultures. In Africa, we take care of old people. That is humanism; taking care of the weak and accepting that we have to take care of each other as each generation passes. People need to hear and learna bout love for each other. They need to see valid prinicples. For instance, the japanese teach each generation the philosophy of kaizen (self improvement). You try to improve yourself everyday. These principles are not fully articulated by religions. Most important of all, we need to show people to love people from other religions- something religions hardly teach.

There are people who see science as evil. Does that mean we shouldnt teach science? The people who see humanism as worship of humans are ignorant. This is why we have to discuss humanism and have speeches about it so that people can learn that humanism is simply the love for other humans and engaging in activities that will advance the human race.

You keep repeating that you have christian friends who are liberal and good as if I want to convert all christians to atheists. No. I have told you before that I am cool with secular christians or any person who understands that there are limits to his or her religon
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Ozegbe(m): 12:27pm On Feb 26, 2013
Seun:
Ok. Let's talk about humanism and skepticism.

Ok...but how do we go about it? By printing in it on t-shirts as suggested by logicboy? In our schools or churches?

There are various ways these message can be pass to the public, but the question is how do we do these without been tag as evangelist atheist? Cause that's not the idea of atheism.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 12:37pm On Feb 26, 2013
Oga seun, you are needed in the thread, "Lagos shuts Ladipo market", posters are complaining your wife mukina, and your children aka the moderators, are all on vacation.

Make u go defend yourself, make katakata no burst o!!
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 12:43pm On Feb 26, 2013
Ozegbe:

Ok...but how do we go about it? By printing in it on t-shirts as suggested by logicboy? In our schools or churches?

There are various ways these message can be pass to the public, but the question is how do we do these without been tag as evangelist atheist? Cause that's not the idea of atheism.

This is what happens when people cower in fear to bullying.

An atheist can not be an evangelist. Anyone who tags you or any atheist as an "evangelist atheist" is an ignorant person.

Would you call a person who says that there is no reason to believe in santa clause every christmas an "evangelist A-santa clausist"?
Would you call a person who says that there is no reason to believe in the toot fairy an "evangelist A-tooth fairyist"?

1) A person can not be evangelistic about facts. If I go around telling people that British meat contains a lot of horse meat with evidence, it makes me a whistle blower or a factual person but not an evangelist

2) A person can not be evangelistic about a negative. Atheism is a negative- there is no reason to believe in god. I dont believe in god. You can only be evangelistic about a cause or a belief- neither of which atheism is. If someone tells you that atheism is either, ask the person;

-how is atheism a cause? What is the atheist cause? No answer
-what do atheism tell you to believe in? What is an atheist belief? If the person tries to say that disbelief in God is a belief, tell the ignorant person that disbelief in santa clause is a belief or a faith. That would shut him or her up.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 26, 2013
Logicboy, for the nigerian society humanism and skepticism is the right way to go, especially skepticism. You have to question their beliefs, if not you will never get their attention.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 12:50pm On Feb 26, 2013
kmcutez: Logicboy, for the nigerian society humanism and skepticism is the right way to go, especially skepticism. You have to question their beliefs, if not you will never get their attention.

Sweet.

To get people to see and understand more, they have to question beliefs that hold them back. Skepticism makes one question his beliefs and look towards the evidence. If you have ever talked to a creationist, you will understand. You dont just throw scientific theories, you first tell him to define evidence (if he cant, explain evidence to him).

Once you explain it clear that evidence has to be;
-logical
-measurable or at least reviewable.
-directly related to the facts of the case.

The creationist will on his own be left in a quagmire. He would be questioning his beliefs in his mind even if he rebukes you.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Olugbenger(m): 1:51pm On Feb 26, 2013
Olugbenger: Africans and their problems...
Some claim religion is imposed by foreigners...
Now this makes me wonder if the first atheist was a black man...
Yet logicboy and his kind claim they are trying to save us....
Who is fooling who?
They claim to be wise whilst they choose to ignore this...??
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 1:56pm On Feb 26, 2013
Olugbenger:
They claim to be wise whilst they choose to ignore this...??

Olugbenger:
Africans and their problems...
Some claim religion is imposed by foreigners...
Now this makes me wonder if the first atheist was a black man...
Yet logicboy and his kind claim they are trying to save us....
Who is fooling who?

Everyone is born an atheist/agnostic. You didnt believe or know anything about God as a baby and as a child until you were indoctrinated. The natural state of man was an atheist/agnostic/pagan worshipper of the sun which provided a lot of energy.

There is no first atheist. Atheism is universal.

Or do you think atheism is a religion brought to Africa by white men?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by ooman4: 2:03pm On Feb 26, 2013
Atheists, we seem to be making progress on xtians. However, we have neglected the muslims and their terrorism.

The question is this; how do we approach muslims in the north without getting blown up?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Olugbenger(m): 2:09pm On Feb 26, 2013
Logicboy03:

Everyone is born an atheist/agnostic. You didnt believe or know anything about God as a baby and as a child until you were indoctrinated. The natural state of man was an atheist/agnostic/pagan worshipper of the sun which provided a lot of energy.

There is no first atheist. Atheism is universal.

Or do you think atheism is a religion brought to Africa by white men?
Then u should let people choose their beliefs without influencing their choices since u claimed every man is a born atheist!
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 2:25pm On Feb 26, 2013
Olugbenger:
Then u should let people choose their beliefs without influencing their choices since u claimed every man is a born atheist!

Did I force anything on anybody?

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Olugbenger(m): 2:28pm On Feb 26, 2013
Logicboy03:

Did I force anything on anybody?

Did i say u did?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 26, 2013
ooman4: Atheists, we seem to be making progress on xtians. However, we have neglected the muslims and their terrorism.

The question is this; how do we approach muslims in the north without getting blown up?

The only thing that can affect muslims in the north is a strong president. One that bans their sharia law to oblivion. One secular constitution for Nigeria.

I also have some ideas for the north but I wont share it here.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by ooman4: 5:42pm On Feb 26, 2013
Logicboy03:

The only thing that can affect muslims in the north is a strong president. One that bans their sharia law to oblivion. One secular constitution for Nigeria.

They would claim such president is blind to their wishes.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Creatrixity(m): 7:45pm On Feb 26, 2013
Logicboy03:

Well,before you start making plans for the north go there ,will you?
Well,in the north religion defines everything..for instance,in the hausa language,almost every sentence is punctuated with allah...
In the north ,these malo folks are basically ok and certainly more helpful than most 'christian' people...
You'd have to be a genius to come up with a plan that carries out your goals all the while without tripping their mental defence mechanisms..
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 7:54pm On Feb 26, 2013
Creatrixity:
Well,before you start making plans for the north go there ,will you?
Well,in the north religion defines everything..for instance,in the hausa language,almost every sentence is punctuated with allah...
In the north ,these malo folks are basically ok and certainly more helpful than most 'christian' people...
You'd have to be a genius to come up with a plan that carries out your goals all the while without tripping their mental defence mechanisms..

Why are you so judgemental?

You dont know my ideas (not plans) about the north or if I have even lived in the north.

So keep your advice to yourself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible / Kabbalah Invocation And Rituals / A True Vision Of End Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.