Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,928 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:56 PM

Advice Atheists Thread - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Advice Atheists Thread (4196 Views)

Atheists Make More 'spiritual', 'emotional' Irrational Decisions Than They Admit / Obadiah Is Right- Nl/nigerian Atheists Are Losers That Need To Step Up / Dawkins Tells Atheists To "Mock Religion With Contempt," And Ravi's Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 2:35pm On Feb 24, 2013
Hello, I created this thread as a space for atheists to help each other in a productive way. Many of us have questions or need help with certain issues or need to contact one another. So please lets use it and make it a cool place to hang out!

Rules
-Lets keep our comments clean and very explanatory so as to be of greatest help to others
-Even if you can't help, try and point the asker to someone else that can
-Also feel free to use pictures or illustrations if possible as they can speak a thousand words

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 2:39pm On Feb 24, 2013
[size=18pt]Looking for atheists in Nigeria[/size]

I am travelling to Nigeria soon in the future and I am looking for atheists/agnostics who I can discuss with by email or bb chat.

I have this idea of printing shirts with humanistic messages on them and giving it free to some homeless children or people in Nigeria to wear and spread messages. I am saving money towards this idea.

I hope I can meet peeps ready to discuss this and other Ideas.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Seun(m): 2:47pm On Feb 24, 2013
You're an evangelistic atheist, eh? Well, I'm a non-theist, too. Pleased to meet you.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 2:51pm On Feb 24, 2013
Seun: You're an evangelistic atheist, eh? smiley

Not evangelistic. I personally dont want to force anyone into atheism. I am cool with deists, agnostics, pagans and secular christians. As long as people are ready not to force their beliefs on others. smiley

On a serious note, the only way we can get people to stop forcing their religions on others is to spread a humanistic message.

For instance;

A shirt that reads "Loving humans comes before any religious duty" could get people thinking
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 2:56pm On Feb 24, 2013

You can help with the cause. Whatever happened to that your comic promoting peace before religion?

Such a simple comic could get millions to think if put once a week as a series on the front page.

I have seen that making threads like "why christianity is foolish" is counterproductive. It is better to get people to think. I have actually changed my views since coming here to nairaland
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 2:58pm On Feb 24, 2013
atheism religion in the making
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 3:00pm On Feb 24, 2013
Segeggs: atheism religion in the making

Thanks, holler at me or send any of these "disciples of atheism" you know to me. I am looking for atheists in naija! smiley
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Seun(m): 3:01pm On Feb 24, 2013
@Logicboy02: In what ways do people force their religion on others?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by manmustwac(m): 3:04pm On Feb 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

Thanks, holler at me or send any of these "disciples of atheism" you know to me. I am looking for atheists in naija! smiley
your not even based in nigeria. Or do you want to relocate there?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 3:11pm On Feb 24, 2013
Seun: @Logicboy02: In what ways do people force their religion on others?

Examples

1) Many churches believe that they have a god given right to blast their messages through heavy duty speakers in neigbhbourhoods in Nigeria.
2) In Nigeria, people believe that every event should be started by prayer. My uncle who organized a prize giving event and was trying to keep to time was criticised by some people after the event because he didnt open with prayer or close with prayer. (my uncle is a christian)
3) We have governors giving huge gifts and offering to churches with state money. This I know with personal experience. Tax payers paying money for religious practices they do not agree with.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 3:14pm On Feb 24, 2013
manmustwac: your not even based in nigeria. Or do you want to relocate there?

My father's business is in Nigeria. Most of my family is in 9ja. 2 choices;

-Earn a salary in UK while paying mortgage if I move out of pops house
-Make untaxable money in Nigeria,
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by plaetton: 3:18pm On Feb 24, 2013
Openly wearing or carrying an antireligious message in a religious crazed country like Nigeria can be dangerous.
My observations are that most people are hardwired to follow and let others do the thinking for them.
For most,religion is their only comfort zone. These types would not be amenable to reason and humanistic ideals.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 3:27pm On Feb 24, 2013
plaetton: Openly wearing or carrying an antireligious message in a religious crazed country like Nigeria can be dangerous.
My observations are that most people are hardwired to follow and let others do the thinking for them.
For most,religion is their only comfort zone. These types would not be amenable to reason and humanistic ideals.

Easy....Easy bro....calm down! cheesy

Humanistic messages not anti-religious.

Also, atheists need not be a majority. All that is needed is to get few intellectuals/power moguls to reason beyond religion.

What if Dbanj tweets "I prefer to love human beings before any religion". It will spread like wildfire but most of his fans will disagree, the few hundreds that will see reason in it will start to think.

The message is what we need.

Are you based in Nigeria
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by wirinet(m): 3:33pm On Feb 24, 2013
Logicboy03: [size=18pt]Looking for atheists in Nigeria[/size]

I am travelling to Nigeria soon in the future and I am looking for atheists/agnostics who I can discuss with by email or bb chat.

I have this idea of printing shirts with humanistic messages on them and giving it free to some homeless children or people in Nigeria to wear and spread messages. I am saving money towards this idea.

I hope I can meet peeps ready to discuss this and other Ideas.

i am sorry to say but i do not agree with your plan, message or methodology. I do not believe in "evangelizing" to bring people into atheism. You will only attract hatred, suspicion and sometimes harm. Although i would love to see atheist come together and promote some specific humanist agenda, seeking to deconvert religious people is not it.

Achieving atheism is like achieving buddhahood(enlightenment), it is a gradual and sometimes painful process. It is not easy to leave the comfort zone religion had provided from childhood and take a plunge into the uncertain uncomfortable world of non belief. Atheism is a state of self realization.

Theses homeless children you plan to use for your campaign, what are you providing for them? Are you going to provide them with a home, education, food? Because them promoting your atheist campaign would definitely estracize from the ultra-religious nigerian society, where children suspected of witch craft are murdered.

My own idea about promoting atheism is to present the facts pertaining to how the universe works and histories of the various religions, and let people who are interested read and decide for themselves. That was how Carl Sagan did it.

The key to fighting religious fanatism is education, education and education.

4 Likes

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by tobechi74: 3:37pm On Feb 24, 2013
Seun: You're an evangelistic atheist, eh? Well, I'm a non-theist, too. Pleased to meet you.
plz difrentiate betwen ateist and non theist
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by plaetton: 3:39pm On Feb 24, 2013
Yes. My point is that only those on the fence who already have inner stirrings in their spirit will get the message. Religious people tend to define their self identity by what they are against, or what threatens their links to their belief.
I am not trying to discourage you at all. I have had similar thoughts myself.

1 Like

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by tobechi74: 3:41pm On Feb 24, 2013
Is my advice needed?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 3:44pm On Feb 24, 2013
wirinet:

i am sorry to say but i do not agree with your plan, message or methodology. I do not believe in "evangelizing" to bring people into atheism. You will only attract hatred, suspicion and sometimes harm. Although i would love to see atheist come together and promote some specific humanist agenda, seeking to deconvert religious people is not it.

Achieving atheism is like achieving buddhahood(enlightenment), it is a gradual and sometimes painful process. It is not easy to leave the comfort zone religion had provided from childhood and take a plunge into the uncertain uncomfortable world of non belief. Atheism is a state of self realization.

Theses homeless children you plan to use for your campaign, what are you providing for them? Are you going to provide them with a home, education, food? Because them promoting your atheist campaign would definitely estracize from the ultra-religious nigerian society, where children suspected of witch craft are murdered.

My own idea about promoting atheism is to present the facts pertaining to how the universe works and histories of the various religions, and let people who are interested read and decide for themselves. That was how Carl Sagan did it.

The key to fighting religious fanatism is education, education and education.

This is what I am talking about! Thanks for your thoughtful analysis!

I actually wanted critical reviews of my idea like this. However, I am not promoting atheism. Rather, I am promoting humanistic values that cut across all religions.

1) The shirt reads "Loving humans comes before any religious duty" . All religions tell us to treat other humans with love, dont they? Christianity is all about loving ones neighbour, isnt it?

2) I am not promoting any agenda or using only children. I also said homeless people. There is no difference in giving them one of my shirts and another reading "I love people". Humanism applies to all humans

3) Unless you are willing to donate money, please be careful in asking me about feeding or sheltering homeless people. It cost thhousands to feed and house on person properly,. I am one person not an oranisation. I have done charity work and it is costly.

4) We have to start somewhere. Remember that our educational system is flawed and it costs money to have a televisoon programme. So how are we supposed to get your Carl Sagan videos broadcasts to thousands of people in Nigeria?

5) You say education. If we teach humanistic principles in school to children, doesnt that still run the same risk of the children being branded as witches? Even your own style has the same risk. Be careful in considering that
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 24, 2013
plaetton: Yes. My point is that only those on the fence who already have inner stirrings in their spirit will get the message. Religious people tend to define their self identity by what they are against, or what threatens their links to their belief.
I am not trying to discourage you at all. I have had similar thoughts myself.

So what do we do?

That is what this thread is for. How do we make impact in Nigeria?

We cant keep wasting time with people like Davidylan on Nairaland grin

We need this discussion! Ideas, Ideas!
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Seun(m): 3:47pm On Feb 24, 2013
Logicboy03: Examples

1) Many churches believe that they have a god given right to blast their messages through heavy duty speakers in neigbhbourhoods in Nigeria.
2) In Nigeria, people believe that every event should be started by prayer. My uncle who organized a prize giving event and was trying to keep to time was criticised by some people after the event because he didnt open with prayer or close with prayer. (my uncle is a christian)
3) We have governors giving huge gifts and offering to churches with state money. This I know with personal experience. Tax payers paying money for religious practices they do not agree with.

The first 2 issues appear to be 1st world problems. They are not very important compared to other social issues that Nigerians are facing, such as insecurity, poverty, electricity, infant and maternal mortality, etc. If our goal is to improve society, should we not face the more important problems first?

The last issue is about corruption. The problem is the misappropriation of state funds and not necessarily where it was spent, Most religious people will agree with the idea that you can't "give" what you does not belong to you.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by plaetton: 3:54pm On Feb 24, 2013
Wirinet has made the best point. I can remember when i was young and hungry for an alternative wouldview from contradictions of religion. The environment and educational system does not offer alternative worldview for the young minds that need it.

1 Like

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 3:58pm On Feb 24, 2013
Seun:

The first 2 issues appear to be 1st world problems. They are not very important compared to other social issues that Nigerians are facing, such as insecurity, poverty, electricity, infant and maternal mortality, etc. If our goal is to improve society, should we not face the more important problems first?

The last issue is about corruption. The problem is the misappropriation of state funds and not necessarily where it was spent, Most religious people will agree with the idea that you can't "give" what you does not belong to you.

Good comment.

You have to consider the following

1) One has to start from somewhere. It cost millions to solve the security problems by training and hiring proper policemen and providing them with salaries and computers to have a list of criminals. The electricity problems also costs millions in infrastructure. Health is even the worst- public healthcare is one of the most expensive areas in Western economies. I am not a politician and I start with what I know best and what costs little but changes much.

2) All the problems you we have can not change if we dont change the thinking. People accept corruption out of fear and ignorance. Once people's minds are free (they can still be religious) they can see that there is one life and to suffer for a non-existent hereafter is a waste of life.

I am not goin g to Nigeria to only talk about religion. Religion is just one of the major things. Notice how I have had threads about the african man and how we need to improve. I have ideas for Nigeria.

Education is most important. I had an idea for the govt building 5 public libraries with internet connections in each state for public students and the general public to use. It should be powered by solar energy and one needs a school ID or drivers licence to enter.

So please, be careful in your assumption about my ideals
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 4:01pm On Feb 24, 2013
plaetton: Wirinet has made the best point. I can remember when i was young and hungry for an alternative wouldview from contradictions of religion. The environment and educational system does not offer alternative worldview for the young minds that need it.

Read my reply to wirinet. Religion is not the only thing that I am going to talk about. Please, help with solutions. I have put my ideas, they may be wrong. Also put yours, so that we have solutions that are well discussed.

Logicboy03:

[size=14pt]I am not goin g to Nigeria to only talk about religion. Religion is just one of the major things. Notice how I have had threads about the african man and how we need to improve. I have ideas for Nigeria.

Education is most important. I had an idea for the govt building 5 public libraries with internet connections in each state for public students and the general public to use. It should be powered by solar energy and one needs a school ID or drivers licence to enter.

So please, be careful in your assumption about my ideals
[/size]
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 4:06pm On Feb 24, 2013
I am already starting to get pissed.

Why? Why does everyone just assume that I am one dimensional and just going to fight religion without thinking? I know that there are a myriad of problems in nigeria- Education, poverty, roads, corruption

Have we been bullied so much that we bring down any atheist that wants to do something about religious thinking in Nigeria? "oh look we have other problems, forget religon". "evangelical atheist"?

How the hell can an atheist be evangelical? A preaching of no belief? I even clearly said that I want to promote humanistic values and people are saying that I'm using children like child soldiers to promote atheism? Why dont I feed and house the children?

We need solutions. fellow atheists. Whether my ideas are wrong or not, we need to throw in better ideas not just kill all enthusiasm.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Seun(m): 4:16pm On Feb 24, 2013
@Logicboy03: How about cases where religious beliefs lead to truly harmful outcomes?
- Accused child witches who are tortured and sometimes abandoned by their parents.
- People who waste time and money hoping for miracle cures instead of seeking the best medical treatments.
- Mentally ill people who are chained and beaten in "deliverance" sessions instead of getting proper treatment.

Also:
- Accused adult witches/wizards who are often attacked by angry mobs and burnt to death.
- Poor people who are poorer because they give significant portions of their meagre earnings to pastors (10% tithe, offerings, pledges)

1 Like

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 4:19pm On Feb 24, 2013
Seun: @Logicboy03: How about cases where religious beliefs lead to truly harmful outcomes?
- Accused child witches who are tortured and sometimes abandoned by their parents.
- People who waste time and money hoping for miracle cures instead of seeking the best medical treatments.
- Mentally ill people who are chained and beaten in "deliverance" sessions instead of getting proper treatment.

100% agree with you. There is a guy that support called Leo Igwe. He is one humanist/atheist fighting against "witch-hunting" in churches.

The only we we can save people is to talk about these issues. I have ideas about using t-shirts and pamphlets to spread messages about these harmful outcomes.

Now, we are talking cheesy
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by plaetton: 4:23pm On Feb 24, 2013
What I have thought about is opening a "Seekers Book Store" as a side hobby/business, where people can get access to humanistic and alternate literature. Later on, it can morph into a philosophical club to organize free and seminars and lectures on philosophy, comparative religion, history and basic scientific ideas and trends.

1 Like

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by prairie(f): 4:25pm On Feb 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

Easy....Easy bro....calm down! cheesy

Humanistic messages not anti-religious.

Also, atheists need not be a majority. All that is needed is to get few intellectuals/power moguls to reason beyond religion.

What if Dbanj tweets "I prefer to love human beings before any religion". It will spread like wildfire but most of his fans will disagree, the few hundreds that will see reason in it will start to think.

The message is what we need.

Are you based in Nigeria
Incase u have forgotten loving ur neighbour as urself is a commandment Jesus gave, so ur idea is actually a christian one..............I'm waiting for the day you'll come back home to God, remember I told u I pray for u
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 4:26pm On Feb 24, 2013
plaetton: What I have thought about is opening a "Seekers Book Store" as a side hobby/business, where can get access to humanistic and alternate literature. Later on, it can north into a philosophical club to organize free and seminars and lectures on philosophy, comparative religion, history and basic scientific ideas and trends.

Now you are talking. If you are in Nigeria, I have no problem with working/donating towards such a store/organisation. It all starts from humble beginnings.

Genetics started in the gardens of Mendel
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 4:29pm On Feb 24, 2013
prairie: Incase u have forgotten loving ur neighbour as urself is a commandment Jesus gave, so ur idea is actually a christian one..............I'm waiting for the day you'll come back home to God, remember I told u I pray for u

people were loving their neighbours before christ said it. People were already preaching it in Asian philosophies before Christ.

Why not see my side of the argument? You'd make a good atheist! smiley
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 4:30pm On Feb 24, 2013
plaetton: What I have thought about is opening a "Seekers Book Store" as a side hobby/business, where people can get access to humanistic and alternate literature. Later on, it can morph into a philosophical club to organize free and seminars and lectures on philosophy, comparative religion, history and basic scientific ideas and trends.

So can we get more deatils on this store/group?

It sounds interesting!
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by alexleo(m): 4:32pm On Feb 24, 2013
Logicboy03: Hello, I created this thread as a space for atheists to help each other in a productive way. Many of us have questions or need help with certain issues or need to contact one another. So please lets use it and make it a cool place to hang out!

Rules
-Lets keep our comments clean and very explanatory so as to be of greatest help to others
-Even if you can't help, try and point the asker to someone else that can
-Also feel free to use pictures or illustrations if possible as they can speak a thousand words

Thank you

Your plan is dead on arrival in Nigeria so keep it to yourself. We dont give a hoot. Be ready to be treated like a leper. You think this one is going to be like the one of you and your family members.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

God's Love For You Is Not On Trial. / Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible / The Father's Blessing With Apostle Johnson Suleman !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.