|Is Nigeria A Banana Republic? by cap28: 4:50pm On Feb 24, 2013 |
Definition of banana republic:
Banana republic is a political science term for a politically unstable country whose economy is largely dependent on the export of a single limited-resource product, such as fruits or minerals. It typically has stratified social classes, including a large, impoverished working class and a ruling plutocracy that comprises the elites of business, politics, and the military. This politico-economic oligarchy controls the primary-sector productions and thereby exploit the country's economy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_republic
An interesting article by a nigerian writer:
[b]NIGERIA: A BANANA REPUBLIC OR NOT? by Bode Eluyera 06/19/2010http://www.nigeriansinamerica.com/articles/4264/1/--Sovereignty-Economic-Security-Obamas-visit-Jonathan-2011-Elections-and-Development-of-Nigeria-Correlation-3/Page1.html
Some Nigerians who consider themselves to be knowledgeable and patriotic have never missed the opportunity to express their objections or dissatisfaction whenever Nigeria is referred to as a banana republic. Perhaps, they come to the defense of Nigeria probably out of ignorance, stupidity, patriotism and/or fear to admit that their country, afterall, is nothing but a banana republic despite its 150 million population and the large reserve of oil in the Niger delta. In order to objectively determine if Nigeria is a banana republic or not, please let us put all emotion aside and answer the following questions honestly.
1. What do you call a country whose president was missing for 6 months and nobody, not even his deputy, knew his whereabout or could assertain whether he waas dead or alive?
2. What do you call a country whose acting president happily admitted with pride to a foreign journalist that he had neither seen nor spoken to his boss for the past 3 months?
3. What do you call a country that awards road contracts to Lebanese, whose population is less than 4 million and territory less than Oyo state?
4. What do you call a country that allows foreign oil companies to pollute its land for decades without any repercusion?
5. What do you call a county that over pays half-baked foreigners for work and/or services that better qualified Nigerians could do better and cheaper?
6. What do you call a county that dishes out its oil blocks, its most valuable and liquid assets, to every Dick and Harry?
7. What do you call a country that allows foreign envoys and spies to hold closed door meetings with a former military dictator who was disgaced out of office?
8. What do you call a country that allows fopreigners, foreign companies and countries to dominate its energy sector, its most valuable and liquid assets?
9. What do you call a country that allows foeigners, foreign companies and countries to dominate the whole of its economy?
10. What do you call a country that produces practically nothing and lives only on oil for the past 50 years?
11. What do you call a country that allows foreign oil companies to use offshore taxation thereby denying it of billions of dollars in lost tax revenues?
12. What do you call a country that is not capable of drilling its oil for almost 50 years when other producing countries like Iran and Venezuela with much smaller populations of 65 million and 26 millions respectively have already been doing that for long?
13. What do yuou call a country that has been ruled fo the past 50 years by incompetent, corupt, visionless and morally bankrupt oppotunists?
14. What do yuou call a country with a population of 150 million that is incapable of managing its airports, steel, metallurgical and aluminium plants and had to privatize them or hand them over to Indians, Arabs and Israelis?
15. What do you call a country that the American, British ambassadors and every Dick and harry American state official like William J. Burns, the Under-Secretary of State for Political Affairs, could walk straight into the office of its president and hold secret meetings anytime they want?
16. What do you call a country with a population of 150 million whose president thinks that his country must form a bi-Nation committees with the American government on elections, the Niger Delta, good governance in order to conduct a free and fair presidential election that will be accepted by the Americans; and resolve the Niger Delta impasse and other issues related to good governance?
17. What do you call a country whose president can not find capable citizens out of a population of 150 million to conduct technical audits and write blue prints for the country's power sector and had to award over-inflated contact - without even a tender - to the World Bank?
18. What do you call a country whose leadership has
to make jamboree visits to British's Chatham House in London, the country of its colonial master in order to resolve all its internal problems especially the Niger Delta crises?
19. What do you call a country whose minister of petroleum was appointed despite the fact that her own people people were even against the appointment and she has been indicted twice for fraud and embezzlement?
20. What do you call a country that allows the former spokes man to its deceased president to travel to America on a suspicious and strange Harvard scholarship without realising that in actual fact he was invited by by the C.I.A. in order to get a detailed and classified information about all activities in Aso rock especially all the circumstances surrounding the death of its president?
21. What do you call a country that American and British ambassadors, Secretary of State, diplomats are already openly supporting the candidacy of an acting president before the latter even declares his intention to contest and without any strong protest from the country's civil rights ands democratic activists?
22. What do you call a country whose law makers do not feel that it is necessary to investigate and establish the true cause and all the circumstances surrounding the death of its president which has brought public humiliation to the country and cost the economy a substantial loss?
23. What do you call a country that was uncapable of arresting an allegedly corrupt former governor that the president ordered should be arrested dead or alive, and the same thief was arrested by the Dubai government a couple of days later after the he escaped from the country?
24. What do you call a country where Babangida is still bold enough to come out to announce that he wants to become the president again after all the atrocities and crime that he committed that warrant his execution?
25. What do you call a country that uses only English language, the language of its colonial master as its only official language, 50 years after independence despite the fact that it has its own rich indeginous languages?
26. What do you call a country that complains from time to time that Britain, France and the United States are keeping its looted artefacts in their respective museums but at the same time reward these countries with lucrative oil contracts?
27. What do you call a country that gives out its land to foreigners to farm and export the products without any hinderance?
28. What do you call a country that complains sometimes about the molestation, humiliation and murder of its citizens by foreign countries but at the same time reward these countries with very lucrative contracts running into billions of dollars?
29. what do you call a country that continuously send retired, redundant, sick military officers as ambassadors?
30. What do you call a country that continuously send diplomats, who are not capable of communicating at all in the language of the host countries to represent it?
31. What do you call a country whose presidents go abroad regularly for medical check-ups and treatments despite the fact that it could afford to build state of the arts medical center that could be run by its own medical personnel who rank among the best of the best in the world?
32. What do you call a country that squanders millions of dollars to send its army on training exercises to the United States on how to guard its own coastal water 50 years after independence?
33. What do you call a country that still bears the name given to it by its colonial masters 50 years after independence?
34. What do you call a country that is still not capable of printing its own money 50n yeras after independence?
35. What do you call a country that handed over a big chunk of its territory extremely rich in oil and gas and other mineral resources to another country based on a fraudulent and strange international kangaroo court ruling controlled by western countries?
In actual fact, the list is endless too. But I will stop here for now. It will be continued another time. If we answer the above questions sincerely, we will all agree that the answer to every question, without any excerption, is A BANANA REPUBLIC! Taking into consideration the fact that the population of Nigeria is 150 million, therefore, UNDOUBTEDLY, NIGERIA IS THE BIGGEST BANANA REPUBLIC IN THE WORLD. It is just impossible to imagine all or even any of the above happening in smaller countries.
|Re: Is Nigeria A Banana Republic? by CeCeBillz(f): 5:32pm On Feb 24, 2013 |
How can? Na cassava bread republic
|Re: Is Nigeria A Banana Republic? by sheedy407(m): 5:37pm On Feb 24, 2013 |
After reading the topic,I will comment.
|Re: Is Nigeria A Banana Republic? by Naijacitizen(m): 7:33pm On Feb 24, 2013 |
|Re: Is Nigeria A Banana Republic? by thoth: 7:58pm On Feb 24, 2013 |
Nigeria is a banana republic. A very dangerous one at that.
|Re: Is Nigeria A Banana Republic? by panafrican(m): 11:50pm On Feb 24, 2013 |
People have to stop going after Nigeria. This harassment is becoming sickening at the end.
Let's keep in mind a so-called banana republic is way better than a homesexual Democracy led by criminals who get away with international laws after invading and killing for no reason a 3rd world country president.
|Re: Is Nigeria A Banana Republic? by igbo2011(m): 9:17pm On Feb 25, 2013 |
People have to stop going after Nigeria. This harassment is becoming sickening at the end.
Let's keep in mind a so-called banana republic is way better than a homesexual Democracry led by criminals who get away with international laws after invading and killing for no reason a 3rd world country president.
I love your posts. Keep it up. I am a fellow panafricanist. I wish more peope were ie you. Too many self haters.
Check out my site www.africanedp.com www.facebook.comgafricanedpwww.twitter.com/africanedp
We are a pan african website working on economic unity!
|Re: Is Nigeria A Banana Republic? by pleep(m): 7:34am On Mar 06, 2013 |
If bannana has anything to do with monkeys than yes.
|Re: Is Nigeria A Banana Republic? by ninja4life(m): 4:34pm On Mar 18, 2013 |
The post has already answered d questions imagine foreign countries controlling 80% of nigerias oil bloc its really saddening
|Re: Is Nigeria A Banana Republic? by thoth: 7:18am On Mar 19, 2013 |
ninja4life: The post has already answered d questions imagine foreign countries controlling 80% of nigerias oil bloc its really saddening
If that is all there is to it then we would not worry much but Nigeria is Banana Republic with a very large population and a large army as well. An army this large at the beck and call of an imperialist nation and multinationals is a serious threat to the liberation of other much smaller african states. Think of what Ethiopia did/is to Somalia and look back at how under Abacha the ecomog secured Sierra Leon only for Obasanjo to hand it over to the United States and with Nigerian Troops as an intimidating tool the Imperialist installed a puppet president in the already liberated country which means starting the war cycle all over again because in the near future the people will be fed up as usual with the exploitation and a brave military colonel or general will attempt a coup , he might succeed or fail but even if he does there stands again the great nigerian curse ready to crush whatever good plans and dreams he has for his nation.
Just as tanzania is to Uganda during the Idi Amin Dada era so is Nigeria to all Africa.
All that was needed to save Libya is for nigeria to say No to any foreign intervention, all that was needed to save Ivory Coast is for Nigeria to send a warning cable to the French embassy.
Nigerian troops are in more than 5 countries in Africa committing crimes for the Imperialist under the UN banner.
As my south Sudanese friend Francis rightly said " Nigeria is a curse to Africa".
|Re: Is Nigeria A Banana Republic? by pleep(m): 7:22pm On Jun 12, 2013 |