Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,987 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:22 PM

Idols Is Back! (East Africa) - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Idols Is Back! (East Africa) (17669 Views)

Mercy Emerges Winner Of Nigerian Idols 2012 / Celebrities At Nigerian Idols Premiere Episode Screening / Is Anyone Watching Nigerian Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 11:51am On Mar 18, 2008
Hey people,

Idols is back in Africa, though this time it's our East African brothers and sisters who will be getting their chance to dazzle us with their silky voices. It promises to be another rollicking season of drama, comedy and singing and as always it's going to be fun experiencing it all with all y'all.

This edition of Idols is going to hold auditions in seven countries namely Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Malawi and Botswana. However, it is also open to citizens of the following countries: Burundi, Comoros, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Lesotho, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Reunion, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia and Swaziland. But they will need to travel to any of the seven auditioning countries to take their shots at stardom.

The prizes have been seriously stepped up from when Timi won the hearts of Africa last year. The omnipresent but invisible recording contract from famed SONY BMG is still touted as the star prize. But there is a truly massive USD 80, 000 cash prize up for grabs for the winner of IDOLS this time around. Unlike the comparatively paltry USD 10,000 which Timi won.

Anyway, i'm really looking forward to this new season of Idols. And i hope y'all will be here to 'fight' over who the Idol should be.

Peaceout.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by zigbo(f): 2:50am On Mar 19, 2008
it doesnt sound very east african, i mean all the countries listed.i think all of africa except west africa will be a more appropriate title.its al good,i wud ve said looking forward to watching it but dunn0 where to watch it from.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by makin(m): 1:39pm On Mar 27, 2008
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 9:22am On Apr 07, 2008
Missed the opening of Idols East Africa as I was at work. But when I did get home I could only stomach about thirty minutes of the Nairobi auditions before I changed the channel, lest I damaged my TV.

First off, Kenyans bear an uncanny resemblance to rodents. They all had this shifty look that you see in a cornered rat, and when combined with the omnipresent snout, you’ll find that this comparison is really quite accurate. Unfair and insensitive, maybe, but accurate nonetheless. grin wink

Then who in God’s name are those judges? They do not have one musical bone in their collective ears. The one called Scar, supposedly a hiphop star in Botswana, is he supposed to be the Simon Cowell? Or Dede Mabiaku? He’s doing an absolutely wack job of it. Angela is a Kenyan radio DJ and she seems to be the one with the right approach to the auditions. As for Trevor Siyandi, the Zambian record producer, I’m wondering how he got so “successful” if he could pass up some of the talent he did.

Quite apart from the astounding lack of talent in Nairobi, the judges also made some truly horrific calls. Of note was Sarah who performed Alicia keys “Woman’s Worth” most creditably but was bounced by the judges. But the truly mindboggling decision was the refusal of a golden ticket to Jemima, a pretty young lady who plays a mean guitar. She performed a hauntingly beautiful song she had written and I was almost moved to tears. But then she was asked to perform without the guitar and she still gave a good enough account of herself to have earned a golden ticket. But the judges refused to let her have it. Trevor Siyandi gave his reason thus: “You’d be fantastic in a studio. You reminded me of Tracy Chapman there with the guitar. But we’re looking for an idol to sing onstage. We’re looking for vocal power and I don’t think you have it.”

At that point, I changed channels. I mean, here was a young lady who, without a doubt, is going to be a musician. What would it hurt to have given her a chance? Not out of anything, but because she merited it. For some reason, they didn’t and I couldn’t watch anymore.
Only thirteen people made it through from Kenya. Tonight we tune in to Tanzania. Hope it will be worth watching.

Peace out.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by malaika(f): 9:54am On Apr 08, 2008
::
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by KikiDixy(f): 2:16pm On Apr 08, 2008
I actually love the judges, from TJ to the chick to Scar, whose music I absolutely love from watching him on Channel O!!!!

i will agree with you lawyerchap that they have overlooked some talent esp the chick with the guitar, but hecks it happens to the best of judges so I wont rule them out for that alone, Simon Cowell voted no to Taylor Hicks and Clay Aiken in their auditions but thx to Paula and Randy, they became success stories. Even the best of them dont get it right all the time, and I think all judges are young, hip and switched on. Scar isnt a Simeon wannabe, he is quietly doing his thing!!

THE PROBLEM IS DEF NOT THE JUDGES ITS THE APPLICANTS!!!!There's little to choose from, Kenya wasnt even bad compared to Tanzania where they could only get 4 people, FOUR!!! First of all they cant speak english and could hardly communicate, not to talk ofsinging regular mainstrean tunes!! E go better, I have good hopes for countries like Botswana,Zambia and Zimbabwe, and what I like about the show is that its 8 countries, so if they say East African Idols, its representative, unlike WAI that was practically Nigerian Idols and should just have been tagged so
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by maryray(f): 7:06am On Apr 09, 2008
@ KIKI, You ARE SAYING D TRUTH ABOUT SIMON. I BELIEVE THE MAN JUST SAYS NO TO MANY PEOPLE 2 IMPROVE HIS STATUS AND MAKE HIM MORE IMPORTANT grin. NOW IF THEY WANT TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT AMERICAN IDOLS, THEY CONTACT SIMON MOST OF D TIMES! shocked. PEOPLE DONT CARE IF You ARE RIGHT OR WRONG ESPECIALLY AMERICANS, THEY JUST WANT SOMEONE TO PUT ON A PEDESTAL AND HE FITS D ROLE NICELY.

AS FOR D "EAST AFRICAN IDOL", I HOPE THEY WONT MAKE ME HATE IT SO MUCH THAT I WOULD STOP WATCHING IT LIKE I DID THE AMERICAN IDOL! cry.

TAKE CARE GUYZ, ESIERE (BYE).
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Modups1(f): 1:59pm On Apr 09, 2008
those east african contestants r WACK!!!
the west african idols auditions were much much better by far
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by zigbo(f): 3:37am On Apr 10, 2008
i dislike the scar guy abeg he needs to lighten up na fight, the other dude pretty annoying accent nd then the lady she is jst ok. i dunn0 but the lot look inexperiencedhope that is correct,i mean the word
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by zigbo(f): 4:31am On Apr 10, 2008
ok i change my mind,i probably watched a wrong episode/clip. i like the judges i think they are better than its werking for me nd her crew aka west african idol judges.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Beamer: 1:33pm On Apr 11, 2008
Well well well. Isn't it always great to check out opinions of those who sing in the shower and end up breaking all mirrors then sit up and say: These guys are whack.

Come on guys. The show is at the auditions stage.

It follows the same theme all over from AI to Idols West Africa. Show the comedic auditions first, then when the contestants move on to the next stage, you will get a chance to see how they got there by viewing a clip of their first audition. If you only showed the contestants who went though, surely that is not good TV.

Whilst some of you will froth and rail at the Judges or even the Contestants, those of us who don't take life that seriously are just having a good time laughing at the comedic value of the Auditions. We are also feeling good that at least we are not the worst singers in the world, (shattered mirrors in the shower, notwithstanding)

And those who sit on the high horse and say: Idols West Africa Auditions were better, well, you need to have your ears checked. And whilst at it, get some glasses too. Coz we watched the same show, friends, and if you need prodding on your Memory Bank, then you can visit,

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/idols-africa/2059764793

So whilst Idols East Africa will show you the man with the wig trying to match his hair to his voice, Idols West Africa will show you the half naked man trying to imitate Femi Kuti. Its all part of the fun.

Check the beginning of the Idols West Africa link on this same Forum
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-33091.64.html

Babadee said
A good panel is made up of the bad guy, good guy and indifferent guy routine so Dede is just doing his thing though he's a bit over enthusiastic at times.
Idols WA is the most hilarious thing on tv of recent, really give it to those peeps who come on air and sound like broken records esp the dude who told Dede after he tried putting him down that he'll wreck more ears!

Klex said
[b]After watching the charade going on in the name of WA idols, i have come to the conclusion that the quality of judging is a greater let down than the quality of the contestants. To me, Dede is simply put, an unmitigated disaster!, where does he get off judging other people? what is his claim to fame? what is his musical pedigree? why must he be so foul mouthed and uncouth? is he the best that we have? and he has the audacity to call someone with the determination to be original a disgrace to musicology? wasnt he a loafer in shrine leeching off fela till he was kicked out? Its a crying shame that like in our political life we have once again put our worst foot forward in the competition.

Can anyone tell me if they have discovered any discerning criterion to selection by the judges? because i havent, I hear voices that i think yeah! only for those guys to just shoot them down. Why must dede come down so hard on young people whose only offence is that they dared to dream? If its not too late, i strongly urge the organisers to kick him off the show ASAP.

My verdict on the other judges. Nana is there to oil her lips and gaze into space while letting dede bully her while Dan Foster just salivates after the pretty girls.[/b]

So its not that bad, people! Its always the same thing.

Even American Idols has some of the funniest auditions, This Season, my Best was, Let My People Go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqzF3YL8laM

But we know that as the show progresses, the wheat is separated from the chaff.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Fadajasi(m): 1:59am On Apr 13, 2008
I luk at her i luk at u,am not afraid of u,am here to have fun not for the money,i can play behind my back,we are human beings,i just luv dat guy,scar really met his match
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by bigfather(m): 1:00am On Apr 14, 2008
Check this out guys,please don't eat while watching cus you can choke with laughter ! grin

http://www.mnetafrica.com/idols/VideoGallery.aspx?pg=1&vid=48&tab=1
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by afrochalk: 10:10am On Apr 14, 2008
well well, kenyans can sing, but they dont waste their time with the idols thing, unfortunately. those who do are either high school kids and the likes. the lawyerchap idiot seems to have a personal dislike towards kenyans. calling them rodents was crap and shows that he's a local SOB who's not travelled anywhere. but fact is kenyans sucked, maybe because the idols thing was not well advertised there. but Zambians seem to be stealing the show
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 12:46pm On Apr 14, 2008
afrochalk:

well well, kenyans can sing, but they don't waste their time with the idols thing, unfortunately. those who do are either high school kids and the likes. the lawyerchap idiot seems to have a personal dislike towards kenyans. calling them rodents was crap and shows that he's a local SOB who's not travelled anywhere. but fact is kenyans sucked, maybe because the idols thing was not well advertised there. but Zambians seem to be stealing the show

Whoa! Seems like i hit a bit too close to home for your comfort there. yeah, i know it was an unfair and insensitive comment to make but somehow i just couldn't resist making it. i'm sorry if it offended you. I don't have any feelings about kenyans one way or another, but i do know that they cannot sing to save their lives. And don't give us that crap about Idols not being well advertised there. So how come the wack singers got to hear about it and turned out almost one thousand strong?

Before the auditions moved to Tanzania, Kenya's 13 golden tickets was the lowest ever in Idols history. Until Tanzania turned out only 4 golden tickets. The Lusaka and Kampala Auditions had way more talent than the Nairobi and Dar es salam. Plus they also had a couple of people who actually talked back to Scar. I especially liked the girl who had her passport with her. After Scar shot her down and, Angie in trying to be nice asked her to come back next year, she turned and said she'd never come back because of Scar. Scar had made a comment about it not being a beauty contest and even if it was and he was a judge there she still wouldn't make it through. She actually gave the judges quite an earful but i don't quite remember everything she said.
But the guy in Nairobi who played the guitar behind his head definitely takes the prize for "Motor Mouth" of the competition. Even Scar didn't quite know how to handle him. Somehow though, i don't think he's all "there" if you know what i mean.

looking forward to seeing the rest of the Kampala and lusaka auditions after work.

Peace out.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by KikiDixy(f): 2:41pm On Apr 14, 2008
And don't give us that crap about Idols not being well advertised there. So how come the wack singers got to hear about it and turned out almost one thousand strong?

LOL,help me ask am! grin grin grin
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by KikiDixy(f): 3:28pm On Apr 14, 2008
Well said Beamer, and i agree. me i'm enjoying the show so far and am looking forward to the last auditions and the next round.All good fun cheesy grin

Well well well. Isn't it always great to check out opinions of those who sing in the shower and end up breaking all mirrors then sit up and say: These guys are whack.

Come on guys. The show is at the auditions stage.

It follows the same theme all over from AI to Idols West Africa. Show the comedic auditions first, then when the contestants move on to the next stage, you will get a chance to see how they got there by viewing a clip of their first audition. If you only showed the contestants who went though, surely that is not good TV.

Whilst some of you will froth and rail at the Judges or even the Contestants, those of us who don't take life that seriously are just having a good time laughing at the comedic value of the Auditions. We are also feeling good that at least we are not the worst singers in the world, (shattered mirrors in the shower, notwithstanding)

And those who sit on the high horse and say: Idols West Africa Auditions were better, well, you need to have your ears checked. And whilst at it, get some glasses too. Coz we watched the same show, friends, and if you need prodding on your Memory Bank, then you can visit,

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/idols-africa/2059764793

So whilst Idols East Africa will show you the man with the wig trying to match his hair to his voice, Idols West Africa will show you the half naked man trying to imitate Femi Kuti. Its all part of the fun.

Check the beginning of the Idols West Africa link on this same Forum
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-33091.64.html

Babadee said
A good panel is made up of the bad guy, good guy and indifferent guy routine so Dede is just doing his thing though he's a bit over enthusiastic at times.
Idols WA is the most hilarious thing on tv of recent, really give it to those peeps who come on air and sound like broken records esp the dude who told Dede after he tried putting him down that he'll wreck more ears!

Klex said
After watching the charade going on in the name of WA idols, i have come to the conclusion that the quality of judging is a greater let down than the quality of the contestants. To me, Dede is simply put, an unmitigated disaster!, where does he get off judging other people? what is his claim to fame? what is his musical pedigree? why must he be so foul mouthed and uncouth? is he the best that we have? and he has the audacity to call someone with the determination to be original a disgrace to musicology? wasnt he a loafer in shrine leeching off fela till he was kicked out? Its a crying shame that like in our political life we have once again put our worst foot forward in the competition.

Can anyone tell me if they have discovered any discerning criterion to selection by the judges? because i havent, I hear voices that i think yeah! only for those guys to just shoot them down. Why must dede come down so hard on young people whose only offence is that they dared to dream? If its not too late, i strongly urge the organisers to kick him off the show ASAP.

My verdict on the other judges. Nana is there to oil her lips and gaze into space while letting dede bully her while Dan Foster just salivates after the pretty girls.

So its not that bad, people! Its always the same thing.

Even American Idols has some of the funniest auditions, This Season, my Best was, Let My People Go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqzF3YL8laM

But we know that as the show progresses, the wheat is separated from the chaff.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by nana(f): 11:06pm On Apr 14, 2008
Mehn. . .i don laugh tire. . .
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Beamer: 7:11am On Apr 15, 2008
Call Scar a Simon wannabe but the boy has some quick spit-fire quotes.

I think you shouldn't sing to your boyfriend, he will think there is another man in the house.

Angela: What is that tattoo on your arm? A scorpion?
Contestant: It is a scarab
Angela: Scarab
Contestant: Yes, it is an Egyptian beetle.

Contestant sings

Scar: You should have let that scarab thing sing

That voice belongs to the trash, and that is where you should leave it.

To a contestant who had travelled a long distance by bus for the auditions
Step back on the bus and go back home

To a contestant who did a modelling thing before the audition
Your singing is just like your modelling, It's terrible.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by afrochalk: 9:18am On Apr 15, 2008
Lemme first thank lawyerchap for taking back his offensive words, its a display of maturity. and onto Idols, I think the writing is on the wall, the Star Hails from the South. Judging from the auditions in Zambia and Zim, its all clear that we're gonna witness one of the best Idols in Africa, with the raw talent from the South and the comic relief from the East, can it get any better its the ultimate African showdown, the West African one was a nigerian thing, but entertaining nonetheless. As for the judges, they are a bit novice but they're doing ok so far. Scar is the beast, TK is the rational, and Angie is the Peacemaker.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by anongal: 10:24am On Apr 15, 2008
hmm. these pple make me proud to be a Nigerian. so far no one has really impressed me but scar. i kinda hv a crush on him. seriously i think the talented ones decided to sit at home.but its fun. there is neva a dull moment. idols rocks
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Tgirl6: 10:38am On Apr 15, 2008
hmmm, the east african idols' watching this programme makes me feel real proud to b a nigerian, these dudes applying for d competition appear unexposed , only a few try to show some talent, in all they are human beings' but the judge wit the scar seems to c himself like a little god' i dont know if he is a worlwide known musician cos he tends to reduce pple to nothin, as for the female judge she's cool, u cant pls evryone but at least try to be courteous cos same God created al, then the other tall guy tries to follo suit wit the scard one but not as insultive, if u r sending somone out of a competion do that, rather than make a mockery,
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by malaika(f): 11:13am On Apr 15, 2008
::
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Rhemagirl(f): 12:16pm On Apr 15, 2008
Please what Channel om DSTV do they show the Idols and what time?Thank u
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by afrochalk: 12:20pm On Apr 15, 2008
channel 198, all the time
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Rhemagirl(f): 12:25pm On Apr 15, 2008
Afrochalk, thank u
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by akowonjo: 12:41pm On Apr 15, 2008
I got hooked on American Idol in season 3. AI season 3 was won by Fantasia (the fantastic) Barrino, a 19yr old single mother. She was simply da bomb! During her audition, she sang a gospel song. From day 1 it was obvious she was a world apart. She got in the bottom 3 once or twice but still went ahead to win. Her last song was "I believe" which sounded like a gospel song.

However, the judges on the Idols East Africa will not even hear those singing gospel songs out. The audition is not about one singing hip-hop or R&B, it's about your voice quality. As the competion progresses, contestants are made to sing all genres of music. That is why the name was changed from "Pop idol" to just "Idol"

I thought Dede was a bit overboard with his comments on WA Idol eg "Niger Delta no dey carry last" and his incessant hailing of Timi in his dialect (For crying out loud it was not Nigerian Idol). However, the Scar guy is much worse than Dede. If he wants to act "Simon Cowellish", he should do a good study on Simon Cowell first to get his act together. Most of the time his judgement is "scarred" and once he says no the other guy releases a loud 'no' automatically.

The lady is the past of that pack.

So many contestatants with great talent that should have gotten the golden ticket have been sent home because Scar wants to play Simon, albeit wrongly. It's really very sad and disheartening.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Beamer: 1:53pm On Apr 15, 2008
Come on Akowonjo, these Judges are human.

Whilst we are busy judging the judges, we should remember that voters quite often get it wrong too.

Sometimes even voting on racist grounds? http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/6-16-2002-20565.asp

So it will be terrible if we had very good singers and got confused on who should be the Idol. If the Judges let a few rotten eggs through to the next stage and let a few very good singers out, it is all part of the excitement. Its what can make you vent on this forum. It is the same argument people use to say referees in football should not use video evidence. The Idols concept is good if we have a few mistakes here and there. Mistakes by the contestants (eg wrong choice of song), mistakes by judges (passing on good talent) and mistakes by the viewers (voting out people with talent).

In the meantime, please check out this blog when you can,

http://ourkidbert..com/2008/04/idols-east-africa.html
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by akowonjo: 2:27pm On Apr 15, 2008
Hey, Beamer, I'm not saying the judges should be 100% spotless. I believe they should just be a bit more sensitive in their judgements and if possible 'shine their ears'. grin
I still insist that they are passing up some good voices there and I feel bad watching that happen.
Accept it or not, the judges have the final say at this stage of the competition. The voting public has no say until the last 12 contestants emerge and even then some people still vote based on the judges' comments.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by chique(f): 5:12pm On Apr 15, 2008
i bet u guys laughed ur hearts out wen the tanzanian idols were singing.lol, even some were inspired by the great kilimangaros. it will be better if they remain comedians.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Viante(f): 6:46pm On Apr 15, 2008
Idols East Africa is not even interesting, it is so boring
the people are singing like choked frogs.

Please let us have our West African Idols again!!!!!!!!
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by KikiDixy(f): 8:37pm On Apr 15, 2008
Call Scar a Simon wannabe but the boy has some quick spit-fire quotes.

I think you shouldn't sing to your boyfriend, he will think there is another man in the house.

Angela: What is that tattoo on your arm? A scorpion?
Contestant: It is a scarab
Angela: Scarab
Contestant: Yes, it is an Egyptian beetle.

Contestant sings

Scar: You should have let that scarab thing sing

That voice belongs to the trash, and that is where you should leave it.

To a contestant who had travelled a long distance by bus for the auditions
Step back on the bus and go back home

To a contestant who did a modelling thing before the audition
Your singing is just like your modelling, It's terrible.

LOL Beamer, let me add one more

LusakaAuditions:

Guy walks in wearing this really tacky cow skin suit
Scar: Where you in Brokeback Mountain?

grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

DKB And Zainab Disqualified From BBA Stargame / Best Couple in the Nigerian Movie World? / ONTV Quick Fingers- Scam Or Real?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.