Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,574 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Idols Is Back! (East Africa) - TV/Movies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Idols Is Back! (East Africa) (17686 Views)

Mercy Emerges Winner Of Nigerian Idols 2012 / Celebrities At Nigerian Idols Premiere Episode Screening / Is Anyone Watching Nigerian Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 4:13pm On Jul 08, 2008
Aziza:

This is the eight season of Idols (American Idol, WA, SA, East). Every Idols season I have watched (except) SA Idols has that "surprise" exit of a star singer, someone who came on very strong at the beginning and everyone fingers him or her as a the winner. That someone often has more talent that the other 9 top 10 contestants combined or has a unique star quality.

In American Idol season 3, it was Jennifer Hudson; season 4 was Anwar Robinson; season 5 was Chris Daughtry; season 6 was Melinda Doolittle; season 7 was Michael John. In Idols WA it was Jodie. Which brings us to what Idols is - a voting competition.

@Aziza
Really I think the conclusion of your analysis lies in the opposite direction. Are you saying that the voters always decide to let a strong contender go when they seem like they're coasting to the final? The very fact that it has occurred repeatedly in each and every edition rather suggests to me that it is scripted into the plot for ratings sake. But i don't want to sound sore. Ammara had a good run and was easily one of the most gifted people i have seen on idols. I wish her all the best.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Aziza(f): 6:26pm On Jul 08, 2008
@Lawyerchap. My mail does not suggest that viewers somehow get together and agree to allow a very talented singer leave the competition while a less talented one stays. The very nature of the show doesn't allow for viewers to get to together and exit a contestant.

The basic format of Idols allows for voting to override talent at times. Winners of Idols and people who go far in the competition are people who can express themselves on stage through song, connect with viewers, and move them to action - vote. Contestants just have to get people to vote for them. Grewing a voting fan base is key to victory on Idols. This is one reason why a lively personality (charisma) is important in the competition. Adding bits and pieces of your life story (orphaned, brought up by a single mom, from less priviledged background, left school because of school fees, had a baby at 16, struggling with my weight, brother is living with cancer, grew up in rural America) help with connecting with viewers. At times, it's not just about the talent it's the "total package" as they say.

I don't think the show is scripted in the sense that the producers decide who goes and who stays. The votes are reviewed and certified by reputable firms. For Africa, it's Alexander Forbes. Contestants are exited based on votes and nothing else.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 9:01am On Jul 09, 2008
Aziza:

@Lawyerchap. My mail does not suggest that viewers somehow get together and agree to allow a very talented singer leave the competition while a less talented one stays. The very nature of the show doesn't allow for viewers to get to together and exit a contestant.

@Aziza
My point exactly. So who else is in a position to engineer this consistent removal of the contestant that is guaranteed to produce the most shock and outrage? No prizes for guessing. This thing isn't always about votes. How do you explain Nicolette (hugely talented no doubt but losing focus daily) who has become the new Cynthia and has spent her entire run on Idols in the Bottom three suddenly getting more votes than Ammara who has never been in the bottom three, and on a night Nicolette had the worst performance ever? Being constantly in the bottom three is a marker for a stagnant fanbase while never being there indicates the opposite. Then all of a sudden that vibrant fanbase that has kept her out of the Bottom Three just fails, neglects or refuses to vote? And the stagnant fanbase that couldn't keep Nicolette out of the Bottom Three all competition long suddenly falls into a voting frenzy and manages to outvote Ammara's fanbase? That just beggars belief!

@Beamer
Where the heck are you?

@Kaydee
this thing is wide open right now, but my money would be on Eric and trinah making the finals. But don't be surprised if Nicolette or Adiona upstages one or the other of them. Go figure.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Aziza(f): 9:46am On Jul 09, 2008
@Lawyerchap: This is the reason why people should not rely on "public opinion" so much. You can't tell what is going through people's minds and you can't trust the majority of the people to act rationally. We all saw Mr. George W. Bush win a second term in the US. You figure that out.

The concept of keeping a less than average singer on the show while better talents leave is what I have coined the Sanjaya Effect. The Sanjaya Effect is driven by the concept of symphathy for the underdog and identifying with the average Joe because afterall, most people are the average Joe. Season 7 of American Idol saw a "narrow escape" contestant, Sayesha make it to top 3. Week after week, she hung on while the better talents left the show. What will you say about that? Also there are movements like Vote for the Worst (VFTW) which aims to keep the worst singer on as long as possible.

I recall during Idols WA at the top 3 spectacular show. It was reported that after Omawumi's second performance in the midst of the crowd reaction, Temitayo's mum sighed and said, it is not about how they cheer for you, it's about winning the votes. The woman was dead right. By her comments, she unwisely ignited the fire in Omawumi's fans who did what was necessary to move Omawumi to the finals. It is about the votes. "It's about the votes, Stupid!" In any election, it's about getting people to vote for you. How it happens doesn't count. It's the votes that do. Last minute surge in symphathy votes do happen all the time. Also, it's very easy for fans of a stellar performer like Ammaraa to take things for granted and assume that she is safe because she is so good. Meanwhile the fans of a Nichollette for instance, will leave no vote uncast that week and they just bump out a good singer.

At the top 6 of Idols WA, fans of Jodie thought she was very "safe" while some of her fans threw in their votes for Timi whom they feared did not do very well that week. How do you explain Timi having the highest number of votes at the top 4, the week he had his worst performance ever? It's about the vote. The votes! The votes!! The votes!!!
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 10:27am On Jul 09, 2008
Aziza:

In American Idol season 3, it was Jennifer Hudson; season 4 was Anwar Robinson; season 5 was Chris Daughtry; season 6 was Melinda Doolittle; season 7 was Michael John. In Idols WA it was Jodie.

@Aziza
So let me understand you. You're putting this consistent removal of a stellar performer in the later stages of each and every edition of Idols down to sheer coincidence? This is a yes or no question and i'm totally cool with either answer since it represents your opinion which i cannot argue with.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by ladybam(f): 11:16am On Jul 09, 2008
i really dont know what to say about this east african idols. but right now, i know that it is unpredictable
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Aziza(f): 11:18am On Jul 09, 2008
@Lawyerchap: These surprise exits don't necessarily mean they are the "best" singer or "best" performer or "best" person to be an Idol. It means that these people do very well, come on strong from the beginning, and get lots of attention. It just means that being the Idol takes more than just ability to sing well, afterall it is a singer competition for singers. There has to be that special quality in a contestants that moves people to action, in this case it is to vote for you.

Jennifer Hudson: Her hometown of Chicago has a blackout the night of her performance. The whole place was in disarray. People forgot that their home girl was on American Idols and she left. Anwar Robinson: Two weeks before his exit, nasty rumours started circulating about his sexuality. Homophobia kicked in and he left the competition. Chris Daughtry: Who knows, I wasn't really following the media buzz that year. But I know that VFTW that year fingered Mr. Taylor Hicks. Melinda Dolittle: The judges all but declared her the winner at top 3. It was time to spite Simon Cowell, I guess. The youth vote kicked in and pushed Jordin Sparks to victory. VFTW also had Jordin down for that year. Michael John: Many issues. He left too early for me to really articulate the major reason. But it was a real surprise because pundicts had him down for top 3. Jodie: Awful West African Music themed week. Her fans thought she was safe. A good number switched to Timi that week.

Now, I don't know whether it is the god of Idols that orchestrates these exits to fulfill the covenant of Idols. But I do that that  series of unfortunate events come togther to make these surprise exits possible.

Ammaraa was a very good singer who had a wooden persona. I don't mean any disrespect, but a lot of people could not connect with her the way they connect with Eric and Trinah for instance.  

Did I answer your question?
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 1:57pm On Jul 09, 2008
@Aziza
That's surely the longest yes i've ever heard. Well, personally if something happens twice i can put it down to coincidence. Three times and it enters the realm of stranger than fiction but still possible. Eight times and i'm looking for a conspiracy theory. And quite understandably too. My theory is that those great performers are sacrificed to throw in an element of the unknown and prolong the suspense. I had my top3 down as Eric, Ammara and Trinah, and i'm sure a lot of people had the same permutation. The effect here is to get people talking about the show and wanting to see how it all eventually plays out and this manifests as higher ratings for the show. My opinion.

Aziza:

Melinda Dolittle: The judges all but declared her the winner at top 3. It was time to spite Simon Cowell, I guess. The youth vote kicked in and pushed Jordin Sparks to victory. VFTW also had Jordin down for that year.

@aziza
By the way, Vote For The Worst never supported Jordin Sparks. Had to point that out. Wish i had more time to research your 'facts.'
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Aziza(f): 2:31pm On Jul 09, 2008
@Lawyerchap: I know where you are coming from. Till Idols came to Nigeria and I saw the thing korokoro that nobody can influence the result, I used to be sceptical. As a matter of fact, I used to believe the conspiracy theory that the producers of the show decide who they want to produce and manipulate things for their choice to win.

Adiona is one babe to watch o! She may just take out Trinah at top 3. We should not write Nichollette off. If they come up with the producer's choice this week like they did in Idols WA, we may just have Nichollette make an impressive showing this week as song choice is one of her problems. Let's see. My money is still on Eric.

lawyerchap:

@aziza
By the way, Vote For The Worst never supported Jordin Sparks. Had to point that out. Wish i had more time to research your 'facts.'
My bad, VFTW actually supported Sanjaya until he left, then they supported Lakisha Jones (briefly though), then they switched to Blake Edwards who finished second. The apple didn't fall too far from the tree in any case, as the VFTW movement helped eased out Melinda Doolitte at top 3 all the same. Please feel free to check out my "facts", I am open to correction. I write about Idols as I see it, through my eyes.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by JUNIT1(m): 3:50pm On Jul 09, 2008
what are you too going on about, just get over it dammit.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Aziza(f): 4:02pm On Jul 09, 2008
@J Unit: Lawyerchap and I happen to be online friends who enjoy a healthy debate. What's wrong with that? I thought this was an open forum  undecided
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Beamer: 4:38pm On Jul 09, 2008
Good people, I have been following the debate, Quite fascinating.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Aziza(f): 5:31pm On Jul 09, 2008
@ Beamer: I am still waiting for your review. angry grin
I relish your reviews. Keep them coming.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 5:58pm On Jul 09, 2008
Beamer, cat got your mouse? Where is our review? on second thoughts, please can that review and let's look forward to the next craptacular on Sunday. That was an awfully long silence though. Hope all's well with you. Big up yourself.

@Aziza
abeg no mind J-Unit, He doesn't know where we're coming from.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by kaydee(m): 11:13pm On Jul 09, 2008
My Spider senses is tinglin! I agree with LC totally on this conspiracy thingy and i agree with Aziza on West African Idols,it was transparent."American Idols" is all bout Simon's favorite just like "So You Think You Can Dance" is all about Nigel's favorite.Can't tell me nuttin different I'll holla, those guyz in charge of East African Idols foul.

@ beamer
Haa!!! So you're a lawyer too? How come lawyers write as well as they talk?U're internationally known as i can see U've got ur recognition on the official website.Make sure u give us our review next time!
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Nobody: 12:47am On Jul 10, 2008
conspiracies or not

i've learnt through all the idols i've followed to simply enjoy the moments

its just unfortunate that these voting patterns deny us all of a great finale
you know the ultimate showdown of talent
instead we usually get an anti-climax

but i wont miss ammara's voice- never werked for me

SYTYCD- i simply watch this for dance-certainment

Beamer,
i'm still waiting for my trinah clip grin
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Beamer: 9:29am On Jul 10, 2008
The review I did was whilst I was at the Bomas , it always sounds different when you are the venue than what you hear on TV. Before I comment on that, for those who still want to read the silly review, here goes,

Idols… The Fave Five

It was a typical July night in Nairobi lashing and tipping down with rain. The sky had opened up for several hours and the sultry damp evening had an ‘Its Raining Men’ theme to it as we headed to Bomas where ironically Eric was the only man and The Last Man Standing on Idols.

There was some need to hand Lebo the Nobel Prize for Prophesy as he had correctly predicted that each contestant in the Top Five would sing two songs each. Two songs each! It was the equivalent of asking the bar-tender: Make mine a double!

Bling bling TK was looking ever cheerful. If the so-called Global Warming rain outside flooded the theatre, he would be the first to sink due to that glittering heavy watch. Please hand TK the Nobel Prize for Weight Lifting.

The latest rhyme from the Judges corner was that ‘Angela’s hair has become rare’ as she donned the headscarf yet again. I ask someone whether that headscarf is permanent. "If that headscarf is a permanent structure she would have had to apply to the City Council for planning permission for it by now!"

Scar looks over at Angela’s notebook, frowns and strikes out her comment: That performance was like kissing Scar! Of late, the mention of Cynthia has seemed to come in my every blog. There! Now it is including this one. Scar frowns a second time as he notices Cynthia in the crowd. He whispers to Angie: There are some people who are told that they can sing, and they swallow the lie Hook, Line and Cynthia.

Kawesa is keeping away from the potential flooding by hiding in his usual nest-perch giving him a Bird’s Eye View. So that is what the Independent means in ‘Independent Judge’? Sitting in an independent box.

The contestants are introduced. The double whammy songs mean there will be a wardrobe change at half time. But what in high heavens was Trinah wearing for her first song? Surely iDENTiTY could identify some proper clothes without looking like they have started a new design line for the series Prison Break.

Nicolette kicks off the show with a performance that annoys ‘Absolutely Everybody’. Nicolette really has been on a mission to press the self destruct button in this showpiece event. When she made it to Top 5, I knew she was going places but I really did not know one of the first places was the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Scar labels her opening the worst in the Spectaculars. That means worse than Cynthia’s opening of the Top 10. The same Cynthia who has since dropped out of her competition with Uncle Bob as Africa’s Most Hated.

On a night when the show had creative openings by contestants, Ammara has her Marilyn Monroe moment on the bar-stool drawing oodles and oodles of cheers from the males in the crowd. If she had fallen off that bar-stool, she would have forever had Alicia Key's 'Fallin' as her personal theme tune. Simon Cowell banned the song from American Idols but that decision would be overturned if he heard the Ammara rendition.

Remember I am on the sofa in the Fan Lounge. Sofa so good! And before Lebo could say ‘Here … is Eric!’ the girls have upped the cheers. Without once looking back over his shoulders, he sings quite impressively to an extent that someone asks me: Are you sure the song was by Mike and The Mechanics… or was it Eric and the Mechanics? Okay, hand Eric the Nobel Prize for Music!

Now mark ‘These Words’. I had tipped Trinah at the outset to be the Top Girl and I still fancy her. Not in the Biblical sense, Her opening gimmick is sitting next to the front row and belting out the Natasha Beddingfield hit edging her to a 2-1 lead at half time according to the judges.

Adiona walks the six steps to make her appointment with the mic to sing This Is My Now (a feat that Trina later reprised in her ‘On My Own’ song). Wild-card Adiona’s performance of late has been quite like burger hawkers McDonalds. I’m lovin it!

Nicolette returns and somewhat redeems her credibility with ‘A Moment Like This’. It is probably too little too late though. If she stays in the competition, she is only going to play the violin for the other contestants in the Finale. For the night's low point - in the truest sense of the word - came when Nicolette sang the low notes in such a mundane way you would have thought you were listening to a lullaby.

Lady-In-Red Ammara opens her second performance as if she had really fallen. She has really upped up her opening routine and knows just how to make the audience get to the “Ooo…” moment and hold on to them until the end of the song without making them lose the “…oooohhh” part. Her first song still sounded better though as my ears ‘Hurt’ when she sings this one.

You probably know what happens ‘When A Man Loves A Woman’ but you should have seen what happens When A Crowd Loves An Idol! Eric has really mastered the routine as he returns with the show stopper! He serenades Angela, serenades the whole crowd and then from the crowd picks out one girl. It was such a where-were-you moment! Forget Jose Mourinho! Eric Moyo really is the Special One. He even really is the Extra Special One.

I picture the press interview of the girl after the show. She is hysterical! “I want the bus to run over me! I want to get a heart attack! Throw me into the Lions Den! Bring the Firing Squad! Somebody please, let me have cyanide! Eric sang to me! I can die happy!”

Trinah is now in trouble! The bar has been raised and she clearly had joined in the cheering of Eric as she seems to lose her voice as she begins her ‘On My Own’ song. Later in the song, she breaks into the high notes previously achieved only by Ammara. It is one of those moments when you just say to yourself: “Did I just hear that? No way!” But with Eric’s hat trick, the score from the three judges has clearly reversed to 2-4.

Adiona closes a memorable show with ‘Lady Marmalade’ by wiping a kiss off Scar. With her suggestive costume, she really is trying to change the Top 5 headlines so that they may read: SCAR-NDALOUS!

Pardon my French, but the suggestive chorus ‘Voulez-vous coucher avec moi (ce soir?)’ means ‘Do you want to sleep with me (tonight?)’ right? Time to put this review to sleep, then.

It is sad as we realize the show had really moved at a fast pace like clockwork. It was tight. It was tighter than Scar’s lips in the Malawi auditions. No silly questions, no long video intros. In fact, the only thing that went on for long was Eric’s applause after he brought the house down with his second song. The headlines remain: ERIC THE PICK OF THE EPIC!

There are serious sound issues on TV and that manifested itself particularly at the Top Six. When you get to watch on the idiot box, it almost sounds different. My favourite Trinah (and Salsera forgive me for my take on her first wardrobe choice) was low when she started out at the Bomas. But when I checked it out on TV, her start was flawless which is why my unedited review seems wrong.

I was hoping Ammara makes it at least to the Top 3. But like some one said on this Forum, she sounded like a one-trick pony.

About the voting, you see I was hoping that she gets to the top 3 and that her fans would still vote her in so I didn't bother to vote. But as it turns out, maybe Aziza is right on one count, the fans didn't vote enough to keep her in.

It is a bit sad that the voting is shrouded in mystery. You wouldn't even know how many votes someone got, unlike AI where Ryan Seacrest will dangle some numbers like 50 million votes were cast,

I think the whole format of Idols where you vote for the one you want to stay rather than the one you want to go gives room for mediocre performers on a night to still get by since votes get split. But I am sure if you only said Vote For The Worst (and I do not mean that website!) the votes cast will be lower and Celtel (or is it Mnet) will probably not recoup the money.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Aziza(f): 11:57am On Jul 10, 2008
@Beamer: Thanks for your review. Please don't stop.

Beamer:

There are serious sound issues on TV and that manifested itself particularly at the Top Six. When you get to watch on the idiot box, it almost sounds different. My favourite Trinah (and Salsera forgive me for my take on her first wardrobe choice) was low when she started out at the Bomas. But when I checked it out on TV, her start was flawless which is why my unedited review seems wrong.

I still think - after watching it over and over again - that Trinah started her second song too low and in an uninspired fashion.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Nobody: 12:22am On Jul 11, 2008
beamer
video links please

The way you write in your blog review is different from when you give your observations

2 songs already -hmm i may have to call off the strike on my DSTV

Aziza
whats up with the WAI winners
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Aziza(f): 8:18am On Jul 11, 2008
@Salsera: I am just going to shoot straight on that: "Sony BMG" as advertised on the programme was not the real Sony BMG. The people posing as Sony BMG could not follow through on their commitments to the Timi and others whom they later said they want to produce, namely Jodie, Uche, and Omawumi. At the end of the day, all Timi and the others were given was a piece of paper which had no value. What does that make the contract? A fraud? It just wasn't real.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 1:38pm On Jul 11, 2008
Regarding West African Idols and what they're up to, i found this online and thought i should share it.

Enjoy.

West African Idols Top 10 One Year After

Contributed by Ahaoma Kanu
Saturday, 17 May 2008

It is almost one year now Nigerians and other entertainment lovers were treated to thrills and excitement in the West African version of Idols, a popular reality TV show in which Timi Dakolo emerged the winner. Many viewers of the show are still wondering where the contestants that showed so much promises may be.

AHAOMA KANU in this report brings an update on what the contestants have been doing for the past one year.

It is almost one year now Nigerians and other entertainment lovers were treated to thrills and excitement in the West African version of Idols, a popular reality TV show. There was the great suspense that hung in the air when Pan Africa Entertainment and MNET toyed with the idea of hosting the show which industry watchers have rated high in terms of audience participation coupled with doubts in the minds of Freemantle Media, owners of the Idols licensingrights if a recorded version of the show could be achieved and the question whether the Nigeria venue chosen for the event could live up to standards considering the poor infrastructures, epileptic power supply and other inadequacies inherent in the Nigerian entertainment industry.

But on December 1, 2006, MNET’ Nigeria Director for Sub-Saharan Africa, Mr. Joseph Hundah and the General Manger, Mrs.Allison Triegaardt announced to the world that West African Idols would be a
reality.

By January 6,2007, the audition doors at The Ibru Victoria Gardens, Lagos were thrown open by the show’s presenter, Michael Olubunmi Adekunle a.k.a Mike Magic and thus started the search for an international singing sensation that would become the first Idol from West Africa.

The show which witnessed contestants from different West African countries of Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Cote d'Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Saint Helena, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo held auditions in Lagos, Calabar, Abuja and Accra, Ghana respectively which produced 80 contestants that were given the nod to proceed to the Planet One Entertainment Venue for the event.

The auditions witnessed a hectic, comic and entertaining scrutiny and selection by the trio of Dede Mabiaku, Abrewa Nana and Dan Foster; the three chosen judges for the event.The number was later reduced to 24 before the actual voting process that saw 10 contestants which included three male and seven female hopeful singers emerging in the top 10 category that would sing their way to instant stardom within a couple of weeks.

The likes of Timi Dakolo, Omawumi Megbele, Jerrilyn Mulbah, Eric Arubayi, Joy Odiete, Mercy John, Temitayo George, Joan Ekpai, Uche Ume or Omodele Fatoki became instant stars from which the audience and viewers were expected to vote their Idol. At the end of the exercises which witnessed the contestants performing some of the world’s renowned hit songs, including some local traditional numbers, 26 year old, undergraduate at the University of Port Harcourt, Timi Dakolo was voted and announced as well as made history in the West African version of Idols.

He, along with Omawunmi, who took the second position and Uche were signed on to SONY BMG Africa, on a one year deal. Apart from Timi, whose contract was automatic, the other two were selected based on their outstanding performances. It is now one year and the question on the lips of all Idols faithfuls are where the Idols contestants are?

A search light was beamed on all 10 participants to find out what each and every member has been doing for the past 12 months and here are the findings.

Timi Dakolo:
The Youngman from Bayelsa State who obviously showed much promises from the beginning of the show and later became the Idol, had the greatest responsibility from the pack as all his fans have been asking where his album is since he won an international recording contract with SONY BMG. Early this year, news broke about the uncertainty that beclouded his contract when he cried out that he was dropping the microphone to go back to the ivory towers where he was studying….as SONY BMG Africa and Pan African Entertainment were not living up to the promises of the contract. Pan African Entertainment came out to announce that Timi would start recording, four months to the expiration of the contract, leaving many people wondering what time would be used in the production, promotion and
marketing of the album. Already, Timi has recorded a single entitled I LOVE YOU, which is yet to be released officially. As at press time, there were no indications that Timi had started recording at a time when his contact would be expired.

On the personal side, Timi had really been involved in a lot of shows like the Kanu Heart Foundation theme song show held last year in Lagos, He was part of the contestants taken to the United Kingdom by Celtel for the Music of Black Origin (MOBO) Awards of which Tuface Idibia was a recipient
and has featured in so many functions courtesy of the Bayelsa State Government. He is presently working with football star, John Fashanu in a reality TV football show. No date has been officially announced for the release of his album one year after he put pen to paper.
Timi narrowly escaped death from the hands of militants in the Niger Delta region on New Year day.

Omawunmi:
The lawyer turned-musician, who gave a resounding account of her singing abilities, contested closely with Timi Dakolo, the eventual winner of the competition. Known for her impressive stage performance, smooth delivery and tantalizing dance steps, many looked forward to seeing her album out in no time but so many months later, the 24 year-old album is nowhere in sight. Not being one to sit and wait for the fulfilment of the promises of the record deal with SONY BMG of which she is a beneficiary, Omawunmi has gone on to record two singles which Trends gathered, still has an unknown date of release. The dynamic Omawunmi has kept herself busy with doing musical jingles for telecommunication giant, MTN as well as one for Malta Guinness, a beverage malt drink produced by Guinness Nig. Plc. She also starred in TV talk’s show, Moments with Mo. At present, she is stuck with Pan-African Entertainment waiting for the dawn of her highly anticipated album.

Temitayo:
Daughter of Rev. Dele George, the highly respected and adored Founder of Little Saints
Orphanage in Palmgrove, Lagos, Temitayo has obviously been one of the most visible Idols top 10 contestants in recent time and the only one to have released a single since the show closed. The ever smiling singer who hoped to use her singing abilities to support her mother’s ministry has performed with one of the world’s renowned soul singer, Michael Bolton and top Nigerian acts like D’Banj, Sunny Neji and Sammie Okposo during the Tinapa Business dinner sponsored by Cross River State government in September 2007. She is the only Idols contestant that has a single on air, a love song entitled, In Your Eyes.
She has regularly being consolidating on her performances in the Little Saint’s Orphanage’s monthly fund raising show, Joy Night. Temitayo was the missing face in the Idols Road Show that took the top 10 contestants through selected states in the country owing to disagreement with the terms of the deal being offered by Elvina Ibru’s Twice as Nice, who were handling the management of the upcoming artistes. She opted out and ironically has stayed above board.

Mercy:
Her deep vocal delivery and towering height made Mercy very noticeable among the 10. The 25
year old contestant who was a staff of one of the telecommunication giants in the country, GLO, went back to her plum job after the competition. But surprisingly, she has been able to wriggle and overcome the challenges in combining her career in the telecommunication industry and the studio to record
an eight track album with Orangootan Records. Hopefully, her album may be released within the next few weeks.
Jodie: The petite graduate of Mass Communication from the University of Lagos, whose eviction shocked so many and made one of the judges to ask Africa if they wanted a mediocre as the idol, has been the least on the news. Jodie suddenly vanished from the scene owing to her heeding the call to serve her fatherland in the one year mandatory National Youth Service Corps scheme (NYSC) meant for every fresh Nigerian graduate. She was posted to Anambra State in the South East part of the country and lost touch with the entertainment industry. Jodie, who was listed among the favourite to win the competition, has recently completed her service year and has returned to the studio hopefully to record an album.

Eric:
The most handsome among the guys who many attributed his good looks as being among the factors that saw him lasting for the while he did, delved into modeling shortly after the curtains were drawn on the Idols show. Eric, who confessed that one of the things he would miss most in the competition was the free food and drink, tried to do some recording but nothing more has been heard from him. He indicated interest in joining the Nigerian motion picture industry otherwise known as Nollywood but Trends could not ascertain if Eric had been lucky in getting some scripts to augment his singing career. So far, nothing has been heard about the 25 year-old Eric musically.

Jerrilyn:
Described as the survivor and luckiest contestant among the Top 10, Jerrilyn, the former Liberian refugee and mother of one, is among the beneficiaries of one of the major sponsors of the show, Celtel. The only non-Nigerian that made it to the Top 10 stage in the competition is presently a presenter in Celtel’s radio
show, Celtel Hit Zone. Though in the studio for a purpose slightly different from what the Idols competition main objective was, it is not clear if Jerrilyn is romancing the microphone well enough to record an album.

Joan:
The self confessed Cinderella from a poor home hoping that Idols would give her the opportunity to build a house for her mother is back to her first love, sound engineering. The studio girl has moved up on her career and is at present training with one of Nigerian’s wonder producers in the music industry, Cobhams
Asuquo, in his music production outfit, Cobhams Asuquo Music Production (CAMP). She has not started recording any song but is instead concentrating and consolidating her music and sound production skills. Her revelation that she has written a book is yet to be realized in print as neither her album nor book can be found in the public shelf.

Omodele:
Who was the first to be voted out from the top 10 stage has gone back to finish her studies at the
Olabisi Onabanjo University in Ogun State. No news has emanated from her end.

Uche:
Former choir boy, who is of the beneficiaries of the juicy contract with SONY BMG/Pan African Entertainment, may soon join Temitayo in the league of Idols participants with a song to show for it as he is set to release his debut album. Uche who was signed on to Orangootan Records by Pan African
Entertainment is almost through with his 8 track album entitled: “I am Kumeh.” The soft spoken Uche, who did a duet with Jodie on popular demand during the final day of the show, was recently attacked by armed robbers on his way back from the studio and robbed of his laptop computer. Though he worked with Cobham’s Asuquo, Uche said that his album is experimental as his recording label took more creative control of the songs in the album.

Idols presenter Mike Magic is busy with his Yellow Dogg Production outfit doing entertainment shows,
Dede has since relocated to Ghana from where he now operates while Nana is still doing very well on her music production outfit in Ghana. Dan Foster still mesmerises Lagosians with his American-accented voice from the studio of Cool FM where he is a presenter.

Unlike other Idols shows which turns the contestants into instant stars and launch them into full time music, Idols West Africa has not lived up to it’s billing when compared with the other Idols competitions where the likes of Heinz Winkler, Anke Pietrangeli and Karin Kortjé won the three successful local editions of Idols while British hero Will Young won national attention across the UK when he swept the title there.

In America the show launched the careers of Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino, Carrie Underwood and Taylor Hicks. Clarkson went on to win two Grammy Awards this year for her second album while Jennifer Hudson, who was part of the top 10 in season three of the American Idols, won an Oscar for her role in the film Dreamgirls; all that were part of the show anywhere in the world were transformed into instant stars after the show.

Trends gathered the reason for the unexpected eventuality witnessed so far was as a result of
communication breakdown between the record label, SONY BMG through their representatives, Pan African Entertainment and Twice As Nice Ltd. managers of the artistes which has Elvina Ibru as its CEO.
Industry watchers are of the opinion that what the artistes needed was a voracious, aggressive and result oriented management for the artistes as the Elvina Ibru, who was part of the production of the show, lacked the zeal needed to achieve such feat bearing putting into considerations her comfortable family background.

“What they needed was a manager grounded in the entertainment scene who is hungry to achieve not an already made person,” a music pundit who spoke under condition of anonymity indicated. As the East African edition of the show is about to round up, it is being said that the eventual winner of the show who might not be as good as either Timi, Omanwumi, Jodie, Uche or Temitayo will become more popular
than Timi as they (organizers) would ensure that the platform will take the eventual winner to the promised land.

But as it is now, many are asking if the Nigeria factor is part of what has kept the 10 encouraging and promising stars still missing in the Nigerian African and world entertainment scene after being exposed in such a platform like Idols.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Aziza(f): 2:02pm On Jul 11, 2008
@Lawyerchap: No vex o as I have to "quote" you. I know it's not your opinion but I just need to highlight somethings.

lawyerchap:

Early this year, news broke about the uncertainty that beclouded his contract when he cried out that he was dropping the microphone to go back to the ivory towers where he was studying….as SONY BMG Africa and Pan African Entertainment were not living up to the promises of the contract. Pan African  Entertainment came out to announce that Timi would start recording, four months to the expiration of the contract, leaving many people wondering what time would be used in the production, promotion and marketing of the album.

This whole situation is rather unfortunate. It is also very disgraceful. I think our government should step in and do something about this fraud. People shouldn't be able to go on TV and make claims false claims and get away with it. Part of the motivation of the fans of the show was to see their contestant win the international record deal. If we knew there was no recording contract, we would have kept our voting money in our pockets and who knows, maybe Temitayo or Jerrilyn would have won. It is pretty scandalous that Pan African Entertainment can claim that Timi would start recording when they knew that no such plan was in place. Blatant lies!

lawyerchap:

He, along with Omawunmi, who took the second position and Uche were signed on to SONY BMG Africa, on a one year deal. Apart from Timi, whose contract was automatic, the other two were selected based on their outstanding performances.

I am please to hear that Miss Jodie saw reason to showed the contract to her family, who showed a lawyer and she wisely walked. Thank goodness.

lawyerchap:

Trends gathered the reason for the unexpected eventuality witnessed so far was as a result of
communication breakdown between the record label, SONY BMG through their representatives, Pan African Entertainment and Twice As Nice Ltd. managers of the artistes which has Elvina Ibru as its CEO.
Industry watchers are of the opinion that what the artistes needed was a voracious, aggressive and result oriented management for the artistes as the Elvina Ibru, who was part of the production of the show, lacked the zeal needed to achieve such feat bearing putting into considerations her comfortable family background.

Sony BMG, the international corporation was NEVER, EVER in the picture in the first place. There has never been a communication breakdown between Pan African Entertainment and Twice as Nice Limited as both of them are owned and run by a brother and his sisters. They wine and dine together everyday. I do agree that you need someone with zeal and fire in their belle to get things done, but I wish to disagree that comfortable family background accounts for laziness or "lack of zeal". There is very little a manager of an artiste can do if the record label is not in a position to fulfill the terms of the contract.

In the case of West African Idols, the "contract" was no contract at all. It was more of a plan to enslave people's children as they say in Nigeria.

lawyerchap:

But as it is now, many are asking if the Nigeria factor is part of what has kept the 10 encouraging and promising stars still missing in the Nigerian African and world entertainment scene after being exposed in such a platform like Idols.

There we go again with the Naija bashing. Some irresponsible persons show up on the scene, make claims that they can't back up and it is ascribed to Nigeria. Pan African Entertainment originated from South Africa. It has nothing to do with Nigeria or the state of affairs in Nigeria. It has all to do with the insincerity of the promoters of the Idols WA show.

lawyerchap:

Already, Timi has recorded a single entitled I LOVE YOU, which is yet to be released officially.

Timi did not start his musical career with Idols. As a matter of fact, Idols WA is the second talent competition he has won. He was the winner of the maiden issue of GE Factor a televised  regional (South-South) talent hunt in 2006. He has a number of songs he has put together. However, the songs are at demo quality in terms of production. His most popular single is titled I Love to Love You and it was played heavily on the airwaves in Port Harcourt/Bayelsa during the Idols competition.

lawyerchap:

Dede has since relocated to Ghana from where he now operates while Nana is still doing very well on her music production outfit in Ghana. Dan Foster still mesmerises Lagosians with his American-accented voice from the studio of Cool FM where he is a presenter.

I didn't know Dede, Nana, and Dan Foster were contestants on Idols WA. So, what did they sing while on the show? I totally missed that part. grin grin
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lysaa(f): 10:46pm On Jul 12, 2008
I concur with the post that said idols is all about voting not talent. . i just don't get it.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Aziza(f): 6:06pm On Jul 15, 2008
You can get some more scoop on Idols WA at this very authoritative blog at this link: http://thelongharmattanseason/2008/01/scandals-rocks-idols-west-africa-by.html

and this link: http://thelongharmattanseason/2008/02/idols-judge-dede-mabiaku-sad-at-timis.html

Thank you.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by KikiDixy(f): 7:28pm On Jul 19, 2008
My bad, VFTW actually supported Sanjaya until he left, then they supported Lakisha Jones (briefly though), then they switched to Blake Edwards who finished second. The apple didn't fall too far from the tree in any case, as the VFTW movement helped eased out Melinda Doolitte at top 3 all the same. Please feel free to check out my "facts", I am open to correction. I write about Idols as I see it, through my eyes. 

LOL Aziza! THat VFTW crowd is something else grin. This year they didnt have a clear person to support, just kept on changing their minds from week to week,,,But they were consistent in their hatred of Carly Smithson and Michael Johns(saw those 2 as Plants), and probably helped in his early exit and Carly's as well, They settled on supporting Brooke, then moved to Jason Castro, just before he left
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lysaa(f): 10:26pm On Jul 21, 2008
Guys, i am not happy at all with how this idols has gone so far. .How could Nicolette be there and Trinah is out?? anyways its all about the votes. .I wonder what they(viewers) are actually looking for. Thank God Eric is still there and I hope he wins. Someone once mentioned that nicolette could come from behind and win this idols, i'm afrid now  angry
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by mukina2: 10:29pm On Jul 21, 2008
I wonder too . . .they should be voting for talents .

Nicolette was good when it started but she started to fizzle out angry

I hope Eric wins sha sad

Bye Bye Trinah cry such great voice
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lysaa(f): 10:33pm On Jul 21, 2008
Nicolette had never impressed me sha. .I never saw a reason why she should be among the top ten.

Trinah is a born entertainer, and I wish her all the best.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by mukina2: 10:39pm On Jul 21, 2008
Nicolette was impressive before she made top 10 smiley

when she got there she got bad .

I was really surprised too that Trinah had to leave sad

I just hope Africa Votes for Eric angry

he is the only consistent Contestant there and he deserves it cheesy
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lysaa(f): 12:35am On Jul 22, 2008
oh yeah, before the top 10, I agree but as a top ten material, she aint it.

I know she really improved while in the list but she's not close to my favorites.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by JUNIT1(m): 8:59am On Jul 22, 2008
this show is a disaster, even if eric wins is it like he is gonna create any album, after sunday you guys won't hear from him again, unlike america where you'll be in constant touch with winners and runners up, look at what happened to timi from naija, pathethic ridiculous, eric he was second in a competition in zim, and with that other people would have made albums, when amara went out you guys where all happy saying he is defenitaley winning, but now he just wants the money for himself.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by ladybam(f): 9:51am On Jul 22, 2008
@ post

I dont care who wins this idols anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angry
angry
angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

DKB And Zainab Disqualified From BBA Stargame / Best Couple in the Nigerian Movie World? / Please Help! What Websites Can I Download Movies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.