Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,143 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:07 AM

Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos - Islam for Muslims (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos (25730 Views)

China Bans Ramadan For Muslim Students / Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools / Muslim Students`society Of Nigeria Presents Mini -ivc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 4:52pm On Feb 28, 2013
[size=14pt]'Stop Ban On Religious Attires in Schools'.[/size]

Asia Africa Intelligence Wire | November 17, 2004

(From P.M. News (Nigeria) - AAGM)

An Ikeja High Court has ordered the Lagos State Government not to ban the wearing of hijab by female Muslim students of the Lagos State School of Health Technology. Hijab is a piece of cloth female Muslim faithful use to cover their heads down to the shoulders.

Also restrained over the said act are the Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Attorney General of the State, and Director Lagos State School of Health Technology, Dr. E.K.O. John.

Four female students of the school, Fatimo Abidemi Razak, Titilayo Sanni, Idiatu Asabi Ayinde, and Sunbo Bada, dragged the school and other restrained personnel to court …

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-14506341_ITM
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 4:53pm On Feb 28, 2013
Mr. Seun, I hear say you like to ban people, come to think of it ! You need me to make more money.
I don't need you to get good job or pay for anything.
I read one of your article where you admitted that Nairaland can not match facebook. Very simple answer, facebook don't ban people from saying the truth.

So we all have right to wear anything we want in the name of our faith. Okay !

Muslim should understand that what they preach is not practice at all.

I will have my kids and junior wear anything to school, let me see if someone will stop them from exercising their faith.

Allah is great ! You kill people and disturb the peace of planet earth.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 4:53pm On Feb 28, 2013
[size=14pt]Nigerian Muslims Welcome Court Ruling on Hijab[/size]

By Khedr Abdel Baki, IOL Correspondent
ABUJA, November 20
(IslamOnline.net)

Nigerian Muslims hailed a court ruling against a decision by the Lagos state government banning hijab in state schools under claims of inciting sectarian division in the country.

The verdict deals a serious blow to continued attempts to ban hijab in Nigeria, especially in southern areas, Abdul Wahab Baba Nafae, a Muslim activist, told IslamOnline.net Saturday, November 20.

“Some fanatic Christians have been resorting to such attempts [to ban hijab] after failing to contain the growing Islamic tide in Nigeria,” he said.

“They should abandon their provocative schemes and respect the rule of law. We are only exercising our constitutional rights."

The activist recalled that similar legal actions has been taken in several Nigerian states to ban hijab in public schools.

Baseless Claim

[b]The Lagos High Court ruled on Thursday, November 18, that no party or person can force Muslim girls to take off their hijab which, it maintained, is part and parcel of personal freedoms.

In October, the Lagos National Institute of Health and Technology banned Muslim students from entering classrooms, a decision backed by the state government.

Students Fatimo Abidemi Razak, Titilayo Sanni, Idiatu Asabi Ayinde and Sunbo Bada challenged the decision with the high court, asking that the ban be declared illegal and a breach of their rights.

Judge Olubunmi Oyewole of the High Court ruled that the ban was a breach of articles 38 and 42 of the Nigerian constitution.

He further said the institution failed to prove how hijab could spark a religious conflict.

The judge underscored that the institute, a public school funded by tax payers and owned by the Lagos state government, cannot operate outside the provisions of Constitution.

Refuting arguments that the students ought to abide by the institute’s regulations expressed in their admission letters, Oyewole said they did not waive their rights to their religious beliefs and practice merely because they accepted the admission letters.[/b]

According to official statistics, 55% of Nigerians are Muslims while 40% are Christians.

However, other estimates indicated that Muslims make up some 65 percent of the country’s 133 million population.

Twelve of Nigeria’s 36 states have gradually applied the provisions of Shari'ah since the return of democracy to the country in 1999, despite the fierce opposition from the federal government.

Hijab

Islam sees hijab as an obligatory code of dress, not a religious symbol displaying one’s affiliations.

The issue of wearing hijab caught world attention after France adopted a controversial law banning hijab in public schools, which came into effect in September.

The decision, branded as “discriminatory” by the Human Rights Watch (HRW), left many Muslim school girls tormented between religious obligation and education needs.

In October, Cennet Doganay, 15, took off her hijab as she was entering the Louis Pasteur Lycee high school in Strasbourg, eastern France, only to reveal a bald head.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?46139-Nigerian-Muslims-Welcome-Court-Ruling-on-Hijab
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 4:55pm On Feb 28, 2013
naptu, wat is ur problem na? Na MTEL line u dey use?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by siddiq202(m): 4:55pm On Feb 28, 2013
To backup your point

Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things.
Qur'an 2:256
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 4:55pm On Feb 28, 2013
siddiq202:

And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women.....
Qur'an 24:31

That should answer your question
YOUR MACTALUNJI IS HERE WATCHING ..YOU HAVE THE MOD BEHIND YOU.

NIGERIAN EDUCATE YOURSELF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIqBNu-WLNQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by IYANGBALI: 4:56pm On Feb 28, 2013
abdulkayus: dey hav d right to protest agaisnt d discrimination of female muslims students. We cant go far wit all dis discrimination. There are well known lagos muslims who shld wade into dis issue. Dos principals dat carry out dis nonsensical nonsense shld be tried for tryin to disrupt d relative peace both muslims and xtains enjoy in Lagos.
shut the fok up,do you know the meaning of uniform?I don't thnk so.muslims just like looking for trouble,if they want to wear that dirty thing that makes them look like masquerade they should go to muslim school and not public school. Islam religion of piss indeed. tongue
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Paschal007: 4:56pm On Feb 28, 2013
They should go and sit down jor. Even during our sec skul days, 1 was not allowed to put on anything outside skul uniform, sandals and badge. If you're caught wearing something like rosary, ring or any religious thing you are either flogged or asked to cut a large portion of grass. Una wahala just too much undecided
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by olapluto(m): 4:56pm On Feb 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
It's not about what she feels but about what the schools feels and wants which is enshrined in the constitution. if we keep going by what we feel then there are things i wished my school had allowed me to do. If a school does not allow a certain practice that you hold dear then commonsense suggests that you look elsewhere where lawlessness can become law.
The constitution which you refer to guarantees the right of any Muslim female who wants to wear ijab. If not that we've been having hypocritical muslims at the helms of affairs, this would have become the norm by now. However, the recent awakening in Muslim ladies is going to make us all ask questions, and we will get answers in our constitution. More people will decide to wear ijab, and I as a person will support them all with all I've got. Ijab is human right, so respect it.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 4:58pm On Feb 28, 2013
talk2me006:
Wat of those wearing mini skirt?
naptu2:

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?46139-Nigerian-Muslims-Welcome-Court-Ruling-on-Hijab
talk2me006:
Wat of those wearing mini skirt?

Below are articles 38 & 42 of the Nigerian Constitution...

Lets now interprete it!!

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 5:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
abdulkayus: naptu, wat is ur problem na? Na MTEL line u dey use?

Pele. I'm in transit.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by kalkah: 5:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hi,

Section 32 and 31 of the Nigerian constitution guarantee freedom of religion which is attested to in he UN charter for human right, ... this freedom including dressing was specifically stated in this right.

Also there is a supreme court judgement and Appeal court judgement on two different cases brought by the student of colledge of education esa oke and university of ilorin that specifically attested to the fact that wearing of hijab and veil is part of inalienable right of the muslim females.

This judgement was presented to the Lagos state commissioner for education in a meeting last year, he pleaded with the muslim community in Lagos state then for understanding that they will resolve the issue..

Why should we go against the law.....?

If we are commenting on issues let comment from informed and intellectual perspective not sentiment....

Wishing you all the best.

Thanks
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 5:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
Reading the above constitutional provision used in that judgement, how was the Principal wrong?!
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 5:05pm On Feb 28, 2013
IYA NGBALI: shut the fok up,do you know the meaning of uniform?I don't thnk so.muslims just like looking for trouble,if they want to wear that dirty thing that makes them look like masquerade they should go to muslim school and not public school. Islam religion of piss indeed. tongue

cos Lagos state made d public school for only stains abi? U ppl are nt intelligent at all. Wat are d problems are dey tryin to cause by protestin to demand for their right. U are an hypocrite indeed.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by tbaba1234: 5:05pm On Feb 28, 2013
Okija_juju:

Where is it in the Constitution or even Lagos State laws sir?!

Guy it goes against the Nigerian constitution...

There was a similar case in Lagos: Judge Olubunmi Oyewole of the High Court ruled that the ban was a breach of articles 38 and 42 of the Nigerian constitution.

Read : http://www.ummah.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-46139.html
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 5:06pm On Feb 28, 2013
http://www.suhaibwebb.com/islam-studies/islamic-law/is-hijab-and-obligation-dont-religious-rules-change/

THE PROPHET PIECE BE UPON HIM SAID TO HIS PREPUBESCENT WOMEN COVER YOUR FACES.IT'S NOW A RULE. ANYWAY.
THE LINK ABOVE SHOW YOU THAT THEY ARE NOT EVEN SURE THEMSELVES IF HIJAB IS AN OBLIGATION
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 5:07pm On Feb 28, 2013
kalkah: Hi,

Section 32 and 31 of the Nigerian constitution guarantee freedom of religion which is attested to in he UN charter for human right, ... this freedom including dressing was specifically stated in this right.

Also there is a supreme court judgement and Appeal court judgement on two different cases brought by the student of colledge of education esa oke and university of ilorin that specifically attested to the fact that wearing of hijab and veil is part of inalienable right of the muslim females.

This judgement was presented to the Lagos state commissioner for education in a meeting last year, he pleaded with the muslim community in Lagos state then for understanding that they will resolve the issue..

If we are commenting on issues let comment from informed and intellectual perspective not sentiment....

Thanks

I just checked section 32 & 31 and it has nothing to do with this subject matter...
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by siddiq202(m): 5:07pm On Feb 28, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: YOUR MACTALUNJI IS HERE WATCHING ..YOU HAVE THE MOD BEHIND YOU.

NIGERIAN EDUCATE YOURSELF

Except if you want to tell me that you can read and comprehend. Too bad
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 5:07pm On Feb 28, 2013
kalkah: Hi,

Thanks

God bless u jare. U are omoluabi. Thumb up.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 5:09pm On Feb 28, 2013
siddiq202:
To backup your point

Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things.
Qur'an 2:256

God bless u
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 5:09pm On Feb 28, 2013
tbaba1234:

Guy it goes against the Nigerian constitution...

There was a similar case in Lagos: Judge Olubunmi Oyewole of the High Court ruled that the ban was a breach of articles 38 and 42 of the Nigerian constitution.

Read : http://www.ummah.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-46139.html

I just posted section 38 & 42 of the Constitution above..

Read it and lets discusss how the ban violates that provision.

Remember that these Judges do interprete these laws how they deem fit atimes..

Look through it and lets discuss.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 5:11pm On Feb 28, 2013
siddiq202:

Except if you want to tell me that you can read and comprehend. Too bad
WHY DID U CUT THE VIDEO LMAO.
TURKEY :BANNED THE HIJAB
TUNISIA :BANNED THE HIJAB
TAJIKISTAN :BANNED THE HIJAB
WHY SO .
HIJAB IS AN ARAB DRESS CODE UNWISELY TAKEN AS MUSLIM WOMEN DRESS CODE

THE BAN TAKES PLACE IN PUBLIC PLACE, GOVERNMENT INSTITUTIONS, AND SCHOOLS.
YES THESES COUNTRIES ARE WHAT WE CAN CALL MUSLIM COUNTRIES

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 5:11pm On Feb 28, 2013
YoungSalute:
Mr. Seun, I hear say you like to ban people, come to think of it ! You need me to make more money.
I don't need you to get good job or pay for anything.
I read one of your article where you admitted that Nairaland can not match facebook. Very simple answer, facebook don't ban people from saying the truth.

So we all have right to wear anything we want in the name of our faith. Okay !

Muslim should understand that what they preach is not practice at all.

I will have my kids and junior wear anything to school, let me see if someone will stop them from exercising their faith.

Allah is great ! You kill people and disturb the peace of planet earth.

and u want to stop some1 frm wearin their hijab to school. U cd reason y i call some of u hypocrites.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Bsmartt(m): 5:11pm On Feb 28, 2013
its a pity that most nigerians will not say the reality.to comment on such a sensitive statement, lets talk base on freedom to dress the way we want according to our religion or traditional believe.so far female sec. sch students can wear mini-skirt,muslim female student should be allowed to dress in conformity with islamic doctrine.lets be neutral with our comments.thanks
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by tbaba1234: 5:13pm On Feb 28, 2013
Okija_juju:

I just posted section 38 & 42 of the Constitution above..

Read it and lets discusss how the ban violates that provision.

Remember that these Judges do interprete these laws how they deem fit atimes..

Look through it and lets discuss.

I am not qualified to interpret the Nigerian constitution, The judges are...
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by baysol: 5:15pm On Feb 28, 2013
tevinsolt: there's a reason why they are called school uniforms. when you're not in school or at work you can wear whatever the hell you want.

Well said this unruly regious people must be made to understand that Nigeria is a sercular country and what is prescribed as uniform should remain uniform. Can you imagine the messagers of hell protesters saying good and alert principals must be sacked because of their silly sentiments. They don't even care if they have families to feed. Well, what more can we expect from people who bomb people in public gatherings because they are not of their silly religeous clout. If the parents of these unruly children cannot and not willing to obey simple public order rules and policies let them withdraw their things and enrole them in schools in saudi arabia or otherwise let them stay in their bloody homes and wear them bean sacks in the name of their religion no one will care provided its not in the public domain. Rubbish upon nonsense.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 5:15pm On Feb 28, 2013
tbaba1234:

I am not qualified to interpret the Nigerian constitution, The judges are...

lol!!

So why were you all pissed off when a Judge interpreted the Nigerian Law and awarded a thief who stole Billions a 250,000 option of fine?! grin

I guess the saying is true then that the law is an A`ss.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 5:15pm On Feb 28, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: WHY DID U CUT THE VIDEO LMAO.
TURKEY :BANNED THE HIJAB
TUNISIA :BANNED THE HIJAB
TAJIKISTAN :BANNED THE HIJAB
WHY SO .
HIJAB IS AN ARAB DRESS CODE UNWISELY TAKEN AS MUSLIM WOMEN DRESS CODE

jus cos dos unpatriotic leaders of dos countries ban hijab to satisfy their western superior doesnt means dat hijab is nt part of Islam. U hav been provided wit d Holy Qur'an injuction bt still u are still adamant of d knowledge u knw notin of.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 5:15pm On Feb 28, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: GIVE US THE SOURATE WHERE YOUR MASTER SAID YOUR WOMEN SHOULD WEAR HIJAB STOP WORSHIPING ARAB CULTURE, ARAB CULTURE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ISLAM . WOMEN IN AFGHANISTAN WERE WEARING HIJAB BEFORE ISLAM. AREN'T YOU ASHAMED TO BEND AND BOW IN FRONT OF ANYTHING ARABO-ASIAN. SMH...
see who's talking. Did your ancestors wear suit,shirt and trousers, or you are just been a slave to the white man's culture?? By the way, if you go study the arabs ancient culture, and you get yourself more enlightened about Islam and the hijab, you'll know that wearing of hijab has always been an islamic obligation,and places where islam has had its roots for centuries do not differentiate between Islam and their mode of life and living. I see your confusion, but try and seek more knowledge, and dont just swallow up whatever you see or hear.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 5:17pm On Feb 28, 2013
Bsmartt: its a pity that most nigerians will not say the reality.to comment on such a sensitive statement, lets talk base on freedom to dress the way we want according to our religion or traditional believe.so far female sec. sch students can wear mini-skirt,muslim female student should be allowed to dress in conformity with islamic doctrine.lets be neutral with our comments.thanks

God bless u. Dont mind dos hypocrites dat has been blindfolded wit religion sentiments.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 5:18pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hallie27:
see who's talking. Did your ancestors wear suit,shirt and trousers, or you are just been a slave to the white man's culture?? By the way, if you go study the arabs ancient culture, and you get yourself more enlightened about Islam and the hijab, you'll know that wearing of hijab has always been an islamic obligation,and places where islam has had its roots for centuries do not differentiate between Islam and their mode of life and living. I see your confusion, but try and seek more knowledge, and dont just swallow up whatever you see or hear.

3 gbosa for u. Thumb up
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by ejifranks(m): 5:20pm On Feb 28, 2013
To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam. anyway since its not a missionary school then they should dress properly or quit....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Sexual Intercourse With Menstruating Women Is Prohibited / Fashion Thread For Muslim Women / Social Distancing During Hajj Pilgrimage. Number Reduced From 2 Million To 1,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.