Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos - Islam for Muslims (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos (25760 Views)

China Bans Ramadan For Muslim Students / Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools / Muslim Students`society Of Nigeria Presents Mini -ivc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hallie27:
see who's talking. Did your ancestors wear suit,shirt and trousers, or you are just been a slave to the white man's culture?? By the way, if you go study the arabs ancient culture, and you get yourself more enlightened about Islam and the hijab, you'll know that wearing of hijab has always been an islamic obligation,and places where islam has had its roots for centuries do not differentiate between Islam and their mode of life and living. I see your confusion, but try and seek more knowledge, and dont just swallow up whatever you see or hear.
ARAB CULTURE IS NOT ISLAM DON'T B DAFT.
I PROVIDED LINKS AND VIDEOS GO AND EDUCATE YOURSELF, STOP EXPOSING YOUR INFERIORITY COMPLEX. ARAB THIS ARAB THAT ..

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by baysol: 5:22pm On Feb 28, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: http://www.suhaibwebb.com/islam-studies/islamic-law/is-hijab-and-obligation-dont-religious-rules-change/

THE PROPHET PIECE BE UPON HIM SAID TO HIS PREPUBESCENT WOMEN COVER YOUR FACES.IT'S NOW A RULE. ANYWAY.
THE LINK ABOVE SHOW YOU THAT THEY ARE NOT EVEN SURE THEMSELVES IF HIJAB IS AN OBLIGATION

And who says Islamic law is our business in Nigeria or binding on all citizen? People must watch their utrances especially with regards to religeous zealots plying their trades in recent times in Nigeria.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 5:22pm On Feb 28, 2013
abdulkayus:

jus cos dos unpatriotic leaders of dos countries ban hijab to satisfy their western superior doesnt means dat hijab is nt part of Islam. U hav been provided wit d Holy Qur'an injuction bt still u are still adamant of d knowledge u knw notin of.
SO THEY ARE NOW UNPATRIOTIC? LMAO AFRICAN MUSLIM WILL NEVER CEASE TO AMAZE ME.SMH OYA KEEP KISSING YOUR ARAB MASTER'S AZZ
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by yacsabdul(m): 5:23pm On Feb 28, 2013
Okija_juju: I thought Boko Haram said western Education was bad: They should go to Almajiri schools where Hijab is allowed jor!! angry

As a Native doctor we have a dresscode, but I never carried my staff of office or cowry beads to schools.

Religion is not grounds for disobidience. Their is a separation between Religion and state. If you want to wear your religous paraphenelia to school, then go to a religous school.

This kind of thing should not be encouraged in public schools. This is also why I have been against Christian Prayers during assemblies and office meetings.

We Nigerians are very badly behaved, both Christians & Muslims alike.
d religion of peace truth... Why always ISLAM?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 28, 2013
baysol:

And who says Islamic law is our business in Nigeria or binding on all citizen? People must watch their utrances especially with regards to religeous zealots plying their trades in recent times in Nigeria.
DON'T MIND THEM , WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM PEOPLE WHO CALL THEMSELVES SLAVES?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 5:25pm On Feb 28, 2013
I pray pyguru doesn't ban me.

Section 10 of the constitution of Nigeria 1999 prevents the government from declaring a state religion. But it doesn't make Nigeria a secular state (that notion is gotten from the american constitution).

As the supreme court justice said, "Nigeria is a multi-religious state, not a secular state".

2) Section 38 (fundamental rights) gives citizens the right "to manifest and propagate his religion or belief in worship, teaching, practice and observance." The girls are manifestly observing their religion by wearing the hijab.

3) Section 42 prevents discrimination on the grounds of sex, religion, etc. You cannot allow some people to observe their religious injunctions and prevent others (subject to natural justice of course).

Although all we are doing is academic because Justice Joseph Olubunmi Oyewole has ruled and that's the law today.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Capnd143(m): 5:28pm On Feb 28, 2013
"to avoid being banned please make sure your post is not offensive islam"= who give a fu_c+k. If u no fit wear standard uniform, go almajiri college of boko haramism

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 5:28pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hallie27:
see who's talking. Did your ancestors wear suit,shirt and trousers, or you are just been a slave to the white man's culture?? By the way, if you go study the arabs ancient culture, and you get yourself more enlightened about Islam and the hijab, you'll know that wearing of hijab has always been an islamic obligation,and places where islam has had its roots for centuries do not differentiate between Islam and their mode of life and living. I see your confusion, but try and seek more knowledge, and dont just swallow up whatever you see or hear.
AS I'M WRITING , I'M SURE YOU ARE WEARING A PANTY OR A G-STRING .HOW ABOUT THE LIGHTENING CREAM YOU JUST BOUGHT? SMH ..LAST TIME I CHECKED CHRISTIANS NEVER CALLED SUITS AND TIES CHRISTIAN-CHRISTIANITY ATTIRE HECK THEY EVEN GO TO CHURCH WITH THEIR TRADITIONAL ATTIRE.
WHAT ARE THEY DOING IN WESTERN SCHOOLS? HYPOCRITES
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by wasiudvd(m): 5:37pm On Feb 28, 2013
Na were dey worry dem.if hijab is not part of the school uniform, change school.
But come to fink of it, must they threaten to disrupt peace all the time?
Mtcheew!
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by adexsimply(m): 5:40pm On Feb 28, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: AS I'M WRITING , I'M SURE YOU ARE WEARING A PANTY OR A G-STRING .HOW ABOUT THE LIGHTENING CREAM YOU JUST BOUGHT? SMH ..LAST TIME I CHECKED CHRISTIANS NEVER CALLED SUITS AND TIES CHRISTIAN-CHRISTIANITY ATTIRE HECK THEY EVEN GO TO CHURCH WITH THEIR TRADITIONAL ATTIRE.
WHAT ARE THEY DOING IN WESTERN SCHOOLS? HYPOCRITES
i dont waste compliments, but i ve to admit that u ar one of the reasonable few on this thread
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Chynx(m): 5:41pm On Feb 28, 2013
abdulkayus: d muslims girls hav d right to wear their hijabs anywhere dey are. So u ppl xpect dem to be openin their heads like u ppl abi.
Hypocrites.

U r a clown! If we want masquerades in classrooms, we know exactly where to get some. We all come from various ethnic d religious backgrounds, rich in numerous dresscodes. Do I have to wear a cassock to the classroom because I practice Christianity? Besides, what the hell are u guys looking for in schools? I thought u are supposed to "say no to western education".

Uve got more than enough cows to milk...so Bleep off!
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by tbaba1234: 5:41pm On Feb 28, 2013
wasiudvd: Na were dey worry dem.if hijab is not part of the school uniform, change school.
But come to fink of it, must they threaten to disrupt peace all the time?
Mtcheew!

1. The girl did nothing to contravene the law... So all that is needed is an enforcement of the law.

2. No one is disrupting the peace, they held a protest to air their grievances, Last time i checked, they are allowed to do that.

Think before commenting.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 5:42pm On Feb 28, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: AS I'M WRITING , I'M SURE YOU ARE WEARING A PANTY OR A G-STRING .HOW ABOUT THE LIGHTENING CREAM YOU JUST BOUGHT? SMH ..LAST TIME I CHECKED CHRISTIANS NEVER CALLED SUITS AND TIES CHRISTIAN-CHRISTIANITY ATTIRE HECK THEY EVEN GO TO CHURCH WITH THEIR TRADITIONAL ATTIRE.
thats what you dont understand. The Hijab is an Islamic wear, not an Arabian wear. So why do you have to mix both together? We wear it to obey God's injuction, not to copy a particular nation. So, you talking about muslims being slaves to arabian culture is off the grid, it applies more to you and your people, you copy the west because you just cant help being enslaved by them. I dont know if you see the difference now, between what we do and wear, and what you do and wear. It isnt a means to condemn any form of clothing, but you should understand the difference between religious obligation and voluntary choices. Btw, you've got very minute sense of modesty in your way of speaking, now you'll tell me you are a 'christian'.hmmm...smh
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by MuniruA(m): 5:44pm On Feb 28, 2013
I thk hijab shud be allowed 4 muslim stds to wear since the stds re still wearing the skul uniform. Hijab is just a piece of cloth that is being worn on a normal cloth(skul uniform). 4 other religious groups, they cant wear their religious cloth in public skuls since they ve to abandon d skul uniform
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by yorke1: 5:44pm On Feb 28, 2013
Islam in the news again? for what oh i thought as much! Not again!!!
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 5:47pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hallie27:
thats what you dont understand. The Hijab is an Islamic wear, not an Arabian wear. So why do you have to mix both together? We wear it to obey God's injuction, not to copy a particular nation. So, you talking about muslims being slaves to arabian culture is off the grid, it applies more to you and your people, you copy the west because you just cant help being enslaved by them. I dont know if you see the difference now, between what we do and wear, and what you do and wear. It isnt a means to condemn any form of clothing, but you should understand the difference between religious obligation and voluntary choices. Btw, you've got very minute sense of modesty in your way of speaking, now you'll tell me you are a 'christian'.hmmm...smh
STOP DECEIVING YOURSELF. YOU CAN STOP THE KISSING AZZ ATTITUDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIqBNu-WLNQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 5:47pm On Feb 28, 2013
More on section 10. It does not prevent citizens from publicly observing their religion. Rather, it prevents government from declaring that a particular religion as state religion and discriminating against people who do not believe in that religion.

There are always prayers before state occasions in Nigeria. At the beginning of the judicial year, judges attend interdenominational christian and muslim services, etc.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by adexsimply(m): 5:48pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hallie27:
thats what you dont understand. The Hijab is an Islamic wear, not an Arabian wear...prove it ma'am

So why do you have to mix both together? We wear it to obey God's injuction, not to copy a particular nation. So, you talking about muslims being slaves to arabian culture is off the grid, it applies more to you and your people, you copy the west because you just cant help being enslaved by them.you mean WE?

I dont know if you see the difference now, between what we do and wear, and what you do and wear. It isnt a means to condemn any form of clothing, but you should understand the difference between religious obligation and voluntary choices. Btw, you've got very minute sense of modesty in your way of speaking, now you'll tell me you are a 'christian'.hmmm...smh
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abuhabib(m): 5:49pm On Feb 28, 2013
buJu-234:
why is islam always in the news either 4 fight; war or protest. whyyy
buJu-234:
buJu-234:
Thank you.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by tbaba1234: 5:50pm On Feb 28, 2013
The proper Islamic term is khimar. hijab is what we Muslims have made popular over the years.

In pre Islamic Arabia, the women wore head scarfs, but that was about it. Parts of the bosom was left exposed.

The Quran ordered believing women to draw this covering over the bosoms. As a result, Muslim women are required to cover these parts of their body.

What Muslim wear today is nothing like that of pre Islamic Arabia. The only similarity is that the head is covered.

It is a requirement for Muslim women except the young or the old because it is a direct command.

The above is for those claiming historical knowledge. It is an Islamic wear.

For the sisters, who do not have the courage or Iman to wear it. I pray Allah helps you.

The hijab is a sign of obedience. IT IS AN ISLAMIC INJUNCTION.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Chynx(m): 5:50pm On Feb 28, 2013
Muniru A: I thk hijab shud be allowed 4 muslim stds to wear since the stds re still wearing the skul uniform. Hijab is just a piece of cloth that is being worn on a normal cloth(skul uniform). 4 other religious groups, they cant wear their religious cloth in public skuls since they ve to abandon d skul uniform
My question is..."must they go to school?" I thought western education/culture is bad for them! undecided

Female youth corpers who wear trousers in the north are humiliated till this day and nothing has been done about that. When u r in Rome, behave like the Romans...simple! Me sef fit tie gele enta class ni!
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 5:53pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hallie27:
BEFORE TALKING ABOUT WHITE SLAVERY, GO AND CHECK ARAB SLAVERY ,YOU SHOULD B ASHAMED TO B A MUSLIM ,I SAID ASHAMED.AND NO M NOT CHRISTIAN
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by tbaba1234: 5:53pm On Feb 28, 2013
@Camerounpride, Stop spilling your ignorance all over this thread.

The hijab injunction is as clear as daylight in the Quran....
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 5:54pm On Feb 28, 2013
tbaba1234: The proper Islamic term is khimar. hijab is what we Muslims have made popular over the years.

In pre Islamic Arabia, the women wore head scarfs, but that was about it. Parts of the bosom was left exposed.

The Quran ordered believing women to draw this covering over the bosoms. As a result, Muslim women are required to cover these parts of their body.

What Muslim wear today is nothing like that of pre Islamic Arabia. The only similarity is that the head is covered.

It is a requirement for Muslim women except the young or the old because it is a direct command.

The above is for those claiming historical knowledge. It is an Islamic wear.

For the sisters, who do not have the courage or Iman to wear it. I pray Allah helps you.

The hijab is a sign of obedience. IT IS AN ISLAMIC INJUNCTION.
BRAINWASHING AND PROPAGANDA THIS IS THE ONLY YOUR **********CAN SURVIVE. SMH
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 5:54pm On Feb 28, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: WHAT ARE THEY DOING IN WESTERN SCHOOLS? HYPOCRITES
in islam, seeking knowledge is obligatory on every muslim male or female, so whether it is in a western or eastern school, provided it is knowledge, you have to seek and find it. You really dont know much,do you? Well,tis the reason why most xtians' mode of thinking is myopic. You limit yourselves when it comes to all round knowledge,the best you know is abuse and criticize.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 5:56pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hallie27:
in islam, seeking knowledge is obligatory on every muslim male or female, so whether it is in a western or eastern school, provided it is knowledge, you have to seek and find it. You really dont know much,do you? Well,tis the reason why most xtians' mode of thinking is myopic. You limit yourselves when it comes to all round knowledge,the best you know is abuse and criticize.
I SAID IN WESTERN SCHOOLS ..U R FREE TO SEEK YOUR KNOWLEDGE IN YOUR MUSLIM/ARABIC SCHOOLS.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 5:56pm On Feb 28, 2013
School kids wearing hijab

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by adexsimply(m): 5:57pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hallie27:
the guy just said he is not a christian
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 6:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
tbaba1234: @Camerounpride, Stop spilling your ignorance all over this thread.

The hijab injunction is as clear as daylight in the Quran....
REFER TO THE LINK I POSTED.
SEVERAL MUSLIM COUNTRIES BANNED HIJAB IN SCHOOLS,PUBLIC PLACE AND GOVERNMENT INSTITUTIONS BUT NO OUR AFRICAN MUSLIM SLAVES ARE HERE DEFENDING IT AS IF THEIR LIFES DEPEND ON IT. MORE ROYALIST THAN THE KING I TELL YA....
STOP TRYING TO SHOVE YOUR RELIGION AND YOUR ARABO-ASIATIC CULTURE THAT U ADOPTED ON OTHERS AND WE WOULD HAVE A DEAL
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 6:02pm On Feb 28, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: BEFORE TALKING ABOUT WHITE SLAVERY, GO AND CHECK ARAB SLAVERY ,YOU SHOULD B ASHAMED TO B A MUSLIM ,I SAID ASHAMED.AND NO M NOT CHRISTIAN
lolz...why should i be? I will never be ashamed of being a muslimah,cos that is the greatest gift Allah has bestowed on me. Well,am not surprised you'll say that, am not even sure you believe God exists,lol. Dont worry about my shame,k? Worry more about your eternity.

3 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 6:02pm On Feb 28, 2013
Some comments on this thread are unfair.. Because the present uniform system favours some people, they are trying to deny others there right. Hijab is very crucial in Islam.. It's explicitly stated in the sharia so other laws must make room for it.. There is freedom of dressing in the nigrian law.. What if Christians are forced to wear Hijab? Will they not react?... We should be objective when we are making statements
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Chynx(m): 6:04pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hallie27:

I hope ur aboki brothers are among the non-myopic (elites) u parade u muslims to be? The last time I checked, being myopic is one thing u muslims hold in high esteem! Don't come here to run ur mouth cos u managed to be among d rare few that attended d four walls of a primary school. Blind bigot!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Sexual Intercourse With Menstruating Women Is Prohibited / Social Distancing During Hajj Pilgrimage. Number Reduced From 2 Million To 1,000 / Fashion Thread For Muslim Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.