Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,738 members, 7,809,829 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? (21370 Views)

Pitbull And Protege Sensato Remix Dbanj's Oliver Twist / Dbanj's Oliver Twist Single Is No1 On UK Urban & Dance Chart / 'You Are My African Queen' lyrics (2face Idibia) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Nobody: 10:04am On Mar 04, 2013
mich2012:

Bro, wasn't it a (black man's) Nigerian wedding? Of course you will expect that Nigerian songs will be played in a wedding btw a black man and a white girl.
Let me tell you, I was in Spain in 2011 and attended a wedding btw two white peeps who live and associate with the black community. During the wedding, P'square songs were played; now does that mean P'Square is popular in Spain or Europe?

No dude white folks wedding neither of the couple were black and I said Europa fm
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Afam4eva(m): 10:04am On Mar 04, 2013
IRAPADA: my friend africa queen was not d only nigeria song use in that movie,danfo driver song was used in tht movie,are we go to say danfo drivers is recognise all over us and the world.i will give to dbanj,
Danfo driver was just used to depict the NIgerianess of the movie while African Queen depicted the movie itself.
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Nobody: 10:06am On Mar 04, 2013
With due respect to both artist nd song, i think with d aid of media nd social network. I think it is oliver twist. Nd is gud 4 us nigeria to be moving higher. If oliver twist beat d record of african queen. We should be delight about dat

2 Likes

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by yuzedo: 10:08am On Mar 04, 2013
WHATT?! two IBO karagulated song? internationally acclaim?? i give up!! angry Even deir fada didnt buy d disco! undecided

Best song is Morocco Maduka, grammy winner since 1998. Onosolueze enyi kponwa. wink tongue

1 Like

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Jarvis(m): 10:09am On Mar 04, 2013
Red-Light:
mtv world music award 2012/2013
it also gave dbanj best african artist 2012/13
best artist not best song....we re talkin abt songs here!!!
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Nobody: 10:10am On Mar 04, 2013
Btw who goes to the club to dance African queen? I ain't a fan of Nigeria music but trust me Oliver Twist made a wave in most of the clubs I've been to in the US and Europe.

3 Likes

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by ifihearam: 10:13am On Mar 04, 2013
mich2012:

FYI, I have lived and visited all major EU countries.
Must you descend so low? I won't come here to banter words with you cos you ain't even fit to be my shoe shiner.

Thunder fire ur left ear. Eedddiioott

1 Like

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Nobody: 10:15am On Mar 04, 2013
Let oliver twist keep keep asking for more. For me, it african queen anyday anytime!
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Nobody: 10:15am On Mar 04, 2013
Them nor be mate at all.Get the question the OP placed right.Both of them are good but Oliver twist is something else when talking about Internationally acclaimed.Its a virus in UK and countries like Greece,Romania and Bulgaria.In the biggest club in Washington DC called Ibiza that is the only African music played there and its an American club managed by Americans.Infact so many people in UK see Dbanj as a role model.He goes for community works there were he gives Elementary schools and High schools inspirational talks all these are the influence of the popularity of Oliver twist.That is not to say African queen is a push over but Oliver Twist.Infact Na only Kanye west go explain better wetin dey that Music.A simple visit to Youtube will tell you the score through the views and the comments.My bad so many people do use blackberry and can't access Youtube if not all this argument would have stopped.Don't mean no offense but its the fact

1 Like

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by scholes23(m): 10:20am On Mar 04, 2013
Just like OLIVER! OLIVER!! OLIVER TWIIIISTTT!!!!!!!!
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by bankyblue(m): 10:26am On Mar 04, 2013
Oliver twist is a hit track, selling well but mind u! African
Queen is a song that wil never go down the draining at all,
Because over and over the years to come there wil be more
African queen to be born, and that song wil never stop coming up.

4 Likes

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 04, 2013
bankyblue: Oliver twist is a hit track, selling well but mind u! African
My friend who is speaking of time to come?We are talking of internationally accepted.Make i use pidgin for you the one people know pass naim be wetin the OP dey talk about.
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by ATMC(f): 10:29am On Mar 04, 2013
Chegunn: All I know is that African queen won Mtv Europe music award, and Oliver twist ...well didn't.
ifihearam, you bypassed this post. if and only if this is true then the case is closed, one made the list, d other carried d trophy *in whoopi goldberg's voice* what d heck are we talking about?
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Ejine(m): 10:30am On Mar 04, 2013
Just like the sun lights up the earth
you light up my life
the only one I've ever seen with a smile so bright
feels like just yesterday
you came around my way
changed my whole scenery
with your astonishing beauty...

I like beyonce
I like Rihanna
I like Geneveive
and Nadia Buari
and Clifford Orjiiii

Mtscheeeeeeew!

African Queen was the song that put Nigeria on the phucking map of world music, earned us our very first MTV Music Award, was featured in a Hollywood flick (the first of its kind at the time), and flagged off Nigeria's dominance of Africa in the entertainment industry, as well as her unstoppable rise on the World Stage.

13 Likes

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by fadamekus(m): 10:31am On Mar 04, 2013
ifihearam: Whoever says its african queen needs his/her head examined. Pure bad belle.

Don't compare Dbanj to 2face,dem nor be mate for anything abeg,koko master don go,he leads for others to follow just like AY in the comedy industry.

U b yaba left u too dull na talk i talk o grin
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by ATMC(f): 10:31am On Mar 04, 2013
bankyblue: Oliver twist is a hit track, selling well but mind u! African
YOU 'RE ON POINT MY BROTHER carry go!
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by ifihearam: 10:31am On Mar 04, 2013
IRAPADA: my friend africa queen was not d only nigeria song use in that movie,danfo driver song was used in tht movie,are we go to say danfo drivers is recognise all over us and the world.i will give to oliver twist (dbanj),

I avoid afam in issues like this because he is always biased and myopic.

2 Likes

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:31am On Mar 04, 2013
Ejiné: Just like the sun lights up the earth
you light up my life
you came around my way
changed my whole scenery

I like beyonce
I like Rihanna
I like Geneveive
and Nadia Buari
and Clifford Orjiiii

Mtscheeeeeeew!

African Queen was the song that put Nigeria on the phucking map of world music, earned us our very first MTV Music Award, was featured in a Hollywood flick (the first of its kind at the time), and flagged off Nigeria's dominance of Africa in the entertainment industry, as well as her unstoppable rise on the World Stage.

I love you!! kiss

1 Like

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by ATMC(f): 10:33am On Mar 04, 2013
Ejiné: Just like the sun lights up the earth
you light up my life
you came around my way
changed my whole scenery

I like beyonce
I like Rihanna
I like Geneveive
and Nadia Buari
and Clifford Orjiiii

Mtscheeeeeeew!

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Tpave(m): 10:34am On Mar 04, 2013
ichommy: I dey come, make i go consult Oracle
U NEVER COME BACK?
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by RedLight1: 10:36am On Mar 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
SO those awards are not awards okwa ya? Did D'banj win any of those? Do you know that Kora awards was the biggest award in Africa at the time?
so should i start naming awards that my artist friend won in kenya and namibia as an international award?
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by MORNDEW(m): 10:36am On Mar 04, 2013
African queen rocks but oliver twist rocks more. Good beat, nice concept, has international content and take it or leave it its more listened nd recognised globally.
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by NaLaugh: 10:37am On Mar 04, 2013
Oliver twist is more internationally acclaimed. DEFINITELY NOT because it was a great song, but because it employed a viral marketing technique with its video dance competition.
Viral videos are the new trend, and of course youtube wasn't even born when African queen was released.

African queen managed to get some international acclaim only off its merits as a great song. Oliver Twist was practically shoved and r@ped into your ear with marketing until you sang along.

So in a nutshell, Oliver Twist wins this battle but loses the war. African queen will remain with us as a classic long after Oliver Twist fades away.

11 Likes

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by RedLight1: 10:38am On Mar 04, 2013
Jarvis: best artist not best song....we re talkin abt songs here!!!
african queen is popular in africa and never won any international award apart from africa ..
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by ATMC(f): 10:38am On Mar 04, 2013
yuzedo: WHATT?! two IBO karagulated song? internationally acclaim?? i give up!! angry Even deir fada didnt buy d disco! undecided

Best song is Morocco Maduka, grammy winner since 1998. Onosolueze enyi kponwa. wink tongue
Nnaa gini ka ana kodu ife a. lol

2 Likes

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by ayo85: 10:38am On Mar 04, 2013
Red-Light:
oliver twists beats african queen hands down (i dont even know about african queen until i get to nigeria)

how many people knows african queen in europe like oliver twist

u cant even compare african queen with onyinye by psquare and rickross

african queen ke?

u don't know africa queen because the two songs are of different class,Africa queen came out around 2003/2004 while oliver twist came out may be 2 years ago,so if u say africa queen is not popular in europe now,of course is making waves now,but u can not compare the two song in term of popularity be it europe or anywhere in the world,beside do you know how many awards Africa queen got nomination for and won? My brother Africa queen is evergreen not even talk about million sold worldwide the recognisation of the song took it to foreign movie sound track,just flash back and recollect the popularity of Africa queen you see that no any Nigeria song has that. Sign out

2 Likes

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Petraman(m): 10:41am On Mar 04, 2013
2face Idibia's African Queen all the way

1 Like

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by goldfish80(m): 10:42am On Mar 04, 2013
African queen gained international acceptance, but Oliver Twist gained more... Infact Oliver Twist have been translated to Spanish by Pitbull,swahili by α certain Tanzanian Lady,Wale has α freestyle version, Parrots has α rock version απϑ so many other versions,,,African Queen shld better be compared to Yahooze by Maintan

3 Likes

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by RedLight1: 10:42am On Mar 04, 2013
mich2012:

You lack reasoning. I am arguing with you and you want to force me to align to your baseless side? You must be a fool.
Argue constructively and show me you've got some sense.
go and enjoy ur butt hurt tongue tongue
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by RedLight1: 10:43am On Mar 04, 2013
i.:
to me the comparison is faulty, becuase the two songs are for different generations(if i may put it that way).
african queen during its time was a trailblazer, a pathfinder, a leader that paved the way for the likes of oliver twist to be celebrated now.
it was african queen hat brought mainstream support for the nigerian music industry. hell it was the very first song played on mtv base africa.
it mught not have won accolades like oliver twist but you should understand that there is a decade between the two songs.
i think african queen should be commended for leading the development of the music industry as we see it now.
well as for oliver twist, i want some more.....
the song as gone places...(just saw pitbull's version) and yes it was on the charts, so it is more internationally aclaimed . but do not compare it to a song that is ten years older than it.

african queen is the pioneer of modern nigerian music.
oliver twist is the result of ten years growth in the music industry.
so do not compare
lovely
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Tunjman(m): 10:44am On Mar 04, 2013
It's like comparing club football in the 90s to what we have now...African players were popular and earned handsomely in the 90s but, what they earned back then is like chicken feed with what today's African players earn.

George Weah won World best when football did not have much followership compared to Messi's time where it has become a tradition for everybody to be a fan of one international club or the other. But, the fact still remains that George Weah was a king during his time.

To this, it will be unfair to compare two music that were not released the same time and also of different genres. Tuface's African Queen was a blockbuster both locally and internationally during its time though, might not gain much international recognition like Oliver twist did (Time factor). But the fact still remains that there's nothing to compare as far as these two songs are concerned.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Wizkid’s “ayo” Album Claims No1 Spot On Itunes / Who Is King Of Fuji In Nigeria? / How To Promote My Music On Radio Stations?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.