Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,164 members, 7,818,536 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? (21391 Views)

Pitbull And Protege Sensato Remix Dbanj's Oliver Twist / Dbanj's Oliver Twist Single Is No1 On UK Urban & Dance Chart / 'You Are My African Queen' lyrics (2face Idibia) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Nobody: 10:46am On Mar 04, 2013
Let us not forget that African Queen was released a long time ago. All the same, i think D banj's Oliver twist is more popular.
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by stupor(m): 10:49am On Mar 04, 2013
They both on the same pedal internatiònally,except that oliver Twist is mOre rounded and globally popular than African Queen,nO doubt !
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by ayo85: 10:52am On Mar 04, 2013
Ejiné: Just like the sun lights up the earth
you light up my life
the only one I've ever seen with a smile so bright
feels like just yesterday
you came around my way
changed my whole scenery
with your astonishing beauty...

I like beyonce
I like Rihanna
I like Geneveive
and Nadia Buari
and Clifford Orjiiii

Mtscheeeeeeew!

African Queen was the song that put Nigeria on the phucking map of world music, earned us our very first MTV Music Award, was featured in a Hollywood flick (the first of its kind at the time), and flagged off Nigeria's dominance of Africa in the entertainment industry, as well as her unstoppable rise on the World Stage.
God bless you ejine, you did good justice to the topic and the two tracks

1 Like

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Nobody: 10:54am On Mar 04, 2013
laylow001: I was coming home Wednesday evening after a hectic day and found a small bag on the ground. I opened it and behold what I found inside; $90,000 dollars!! Fear first catch me, but I took the bag home and when ...I emptied It, I found some Documents, ID card, ATM card and an Iphone. I thought about throwing the sim away and keep the phone and also dispose the documents and keep the money. After a long thought, I decided to leave things as they were, hoping that the owner would call. Not long after a call came through on the Iphone, I picked and talked with the caller. Apparently it was the owner of the bag coz he named absolutely every content of the bag. We met afterwards and i handed him the bag. he offered me $9,000 dollars but i turned it down , he collected my number and i left. Yesterday he called me and offered me a job at Chevron worth 750,000 Naira per month, a 3 bedroom flat fully furnished, and a 2012 BMW X6 As I was smiling and testing the car my brother just slapped me and said "Oya Oya Oya Wake up!! Eba don ready!"
Akpos Almost Kill His Brother!!!
You must be silly.What has this got to do with the topic on ground?Na so una take dey fail exam so

1 Like

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by chatdare(m): 11:01am On Mar 04, 2013
mich2012:

^ You took it outta my mouth. Isn't same song that was banned in Nigeria years back, correct me if I am wrong. No doubt it was popular but not as popular as Afrcan queen.
Try to make more research abt d song ok...beng beng was once nominatted for grammy award.

1 Like

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by vizboy(m): 11:01am On Mar 04, 2013
ichommy: I dey come, make i go consult Oracle
my guy i dey with you jare. Well if una never hear am na my own be the best

africa oliver twist queen- ft 2face dbanj and vizboy

1 Like

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by ifihearam: 11:07am On Mar 04, 2013
IF I HEAR AM say na 2face na die una dey
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by chatdare(m): 11:07am On Mar 04, 2013
booqee: Let oliver twist keep keep asking for more. For me, it african queen anyday anytime!
Okuyelu,u don fall my hand o....oliva twist is more more advanced dan african queen,though african queen aint bad during its time o and beside oliva was nominated in d last grammy award.
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by EzePromoe: 11:12am On Mar 04, 2013
Oliver Twist wins it. But it's very unfair to compare music of different generations.

But wait o. Coming to think of it, Oliver twist came to the limelight when Kanye West came in, or isn't it that same Oliver Twist that was produced by Don Jazzy that NBC once banned from being played on radio and TV stations because of some sex inclined words used in it.
But the song was not remixed, only video change but I still give small credit to Don J, the best producer and much of it to Koko Master himself and Kanye West.
African Queen too was a big hit of that generation.
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by ukpaku: 11:12am On Mar 04, 2013
why comparing a song that has spend up to a decade with the song of last year,y not compare dbanj songs of 2004 with african queen?
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by macz91(m): 11:14am On Mar 04, 2013
any1 that says oliver twist is beta and more recognised internationally needs 2go and take his mornin drugs first, how dare u compare african ueen dt won so many awards locally and internationally wit oliver twist, any primary skul child can sing african ueenand and it was used as background music in all nollywood films and u got d got 2compare it wit oliver twist..... Go take some drugs pls
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by drlizzy(f): 11:17am On Mar 04, 2013
If the two songs were released in the same year,both would have done very well but Oliver would have done better.Oliver is more popular,but African Queen is evergreen.In a matter of years Oliver fades away but AQueen remains.Before it does,let me say....just like Oliver oliver oliver twist....
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Afam4eva(m): 11:18am On Mar 04, 2013
Red-Light:
so should i start naming awards that my artist friend won in kenya and namibia as an international award?
Inter-National simply mean Inter-Country, so any award outside of Nigeria will do. Whether in Namibia, Malaysia or Canada. It doesn't make any difference.
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Afam4eva(m): 11:21am On Mar 04, 2013
REALITY101: Btw who goes to the club to dance African queen? I ain't a fan of Nigeria music but trust me Oliver Twist made a wave in most of the clubs I've been to in the US and Europe.
Pls where did you see "club" in the title of this thread? You miss road ni?

5 Likes

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Ejine(m): 11:31am On Mar 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
Pls where did you see "club" in the title of this thread? You miss road ni?

The guy is the reaseon we have lots of generic lyrically empty songs like "Fokasibe".

Na everything go be "Club Banger" to you? grin
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by chatterly: 11:38am On Mar 04, 2013
its a bit unfair to compare both tracks as they were released at different times and appeal to different audiences.having said that ,Oliver twist has done extremely well in the UK ,i have heard it being played in places i didnt ever expect.I dont know much about the US (folks in the US can answer that better).as an aside ,just watched an old richard gere movie called breathless released in 1983 and one of KSA's songs featured prominently in the soundtrack.i have also heard asa's jailer being played in a poundland store in Bromley U.K and another of her tracks played in a cool oyinbo restaurant in Ontario Canada.
Naija music is going places and we should all be proud
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by charlesopp(m): 11:38am On Mar 04, 2013
Its oliver Oº°˚, used as soundtrack for eastenders series, bagged 4 nomination in world music award, reegnized so much frm US to uk, D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ even went as far as doin dia own remixes nd makin videos..frm wale, estelle, pitbull nd ryan parrot...d only tin I knw abt african queen is dt twas played in phat girls nd d ownership is stl even questioned...#eja nla

1 Like

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Nobody: 11:40am On Mar 04, 2013
can u plz use ur brain and tell us whic song u are referring to undecided
oluwadare26: At Op, what kind of question is this? How dare u compare a Song that got 4 Nominations in the world music award with a Controversial song sorrouded by a lot of controversy pertaining who really owns the song... OLIVER all the way... A song perform live in front of over 70,000 spectators, Presidents, P.ministers and state Gov. @ Afcon, viewed by Hundreds of Millions..
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by allout: 11:40am On Mar 04, 2013
African Queen wins it hands down. . . thats quintessential music right there! An evergreen kinda song. Oliver twist (is more like a song for the moment) will most prolly not be remembered by this time next year, African Queen has lasted all this while and will continue to be a reference point when we talk about revolution/exposure of African music to the rest of the world.
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by charlesopp(m): 11:42am On Mar 04, 2013
Chegunn: All I know is that African queen won Mtv Europe music award, and Oliver twist ...well didn't.

U̶̲̥̅̊ nid 2 go bak 2 google..
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by dotcomnamename: 11:45am On Mar 04, 2013
i.:
to me the comparison is faulty, becuase the two songs are for different generations(if i may put it that way).
african queen during its time was a trailblazer, a pathfinder, a leader that paved the way for the likes of oliver twist to be celebrated now.
it was african queen hat brought mainstream support for the nigerian music industry. hell it was the very first song played on mtv base africa.
it mught not have won accolades like oliver twist but you should understand that there is a decade between the two songs.
i think african queen should be commended for leading the development of the music industry as we see it now.
well as for oliver twist, i want some more.....
the song as gone places...(just saw pitbull's version) and yes it was on the charts, so it is more internationally aclaimed . but do not compare it to a song that is ten years older than it.

african queen is the pioneer of modern nigerian music.
oliver twist is the result of ten years growth in the music industry.
so do not compare

You're very wrong. completely got it wrong.

It's obvious you initiated bias here

The reason is: The Question is simply: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed?

And the answer is OLIVER TWIST. Almost the whole world knows and recognize OLIVER TWIST.

Where was African Queen when OLIVER TWIST now hitting in Australia, New Zealand, Icelenad and Greenland now?

The OP is not asking which song was released 100 years ago. The question is: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed?

We all expect simple anwser and we all know the answer is : OLIVER TWIST By ''D'banj a.k.a Eja nla...

No Bias, no personal opinion.

Gbammmmmmmmmm

5 Likes

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Afam4eva(m): 11:46am On Mar 04, 2013
all-out:
African Queen wins it hands down. . . thats quintessential music right there! An evergreen kinda song. Oliver twist (is more like a song for the moment) will most prolly not be remembered by this time next year, African Queen has lasted all this while and will continue to be a reference point when we talk about revolution/exposure of African music to the rest of the world.
Quintessential and International-Acclaimed mean different things. The latter is what the OP asked. We know African Queen is timeless but the OP just wants to know which was more popular in the world. It doesn't matter if the popularity was just for a day.

1 Like

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by azimibraun: 11:47am On Mar 04, 2013
Oliver twist of when in comparison with african queen of when? Mumu plenty 4 naija o! When ws african queen released and when ws oliver twist released? I wll prefer my song bin a soundtrack for a Monique classic movie than spend a couple of weeks on a UK chart. Dts d diff btw both songs.
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by AlhajiPastor: 11:55am On Mar 04, 2013
SO OF ALL THE PROBLEMS IN NIGERIA, IT IS OLIVER TWIST AND AFRICAN QUEEN YOU PEOPLE ARE ARGUING ABOUT, WASTING ENERGY THAT COULD BE CHANNELED TO SOMETHING TANGIBLE. I SHAKE MY HEAD FOR THIS GENERATION.

1 Like

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by ifyfaith: 11:56am On Mar 04, 2013
African queen is da bomb,u cant even compare Africa queen with Oliver twist at all, do u even know when African queen has been invoke?And till now its still fresh. Oliver twist had its time and its gone but African queen will always be fresh. The time African queen came out and of d time Oliver twist came out is incomparable. So African queen is still the best
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by dotcomnamename: 11:57am On Mar 04, 2013
Some Nairalander no go school at all. Some na dropout, some no even go primary school at all. Some can't even write their name. Some can't even read. If not, some phucking illiterate will simply understand the OP question.

[size=14pt]The OP is not asking which song was released 100 years ago. The question is: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed?

We all expect simple anwser and we all know the answer is : OLIVER TWIST By ''D'banj a.k.a Eja nla...[/size]

2 Likes

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Afam4eva(m): 11:58am On Mar 04, 2013
Alhaji Pastor :
SO OF ALL THE PROBLEMS IN NIGERIA, IT IS OLIVER TWIST AND AFRICAN QUEEN YOU PEOPLE ARE ARGUING ABOUT, WASTING ENERGY THAT COULD BE CHANNELED TO SOMETHING TANGIBLE. I SHAKE MY HEAD FOR THIS GENERATION.
I don't know if you realize that this is the music section and all threads here have to be related to music. How did you find your way here anyways?

1 Like

Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Cashio(m): 11:58am On Mar 04, 2013
They both existed in different eras.so i don't expect african queen to beat oliver twist cos at least there has been an improvement in both make ups and technology...9 yrs ago we all knw
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by Cashio(m): 11:59am On Mar 04, 2013
They both existed in different eras.so i don't expect african queen to beat oliver twist cos at least there has been an improvement in both make ups and technology...Well nomatter whatever it's 9ja all de way
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by chemicool: 12:01pm On Mar 04, 2013
The song was released when I was in Russia. It was the only song I could understand through out that day as it was sang in english lang. Oliver twist is number one.
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by ifyfaith: 12:05pm On Mar 04, 2013
dotcom_na_me_na_me: Some Nairalander no go school at all. Some na dropout, some no even go primary school at all. Some can't even write their name. Some can't even read. If not, some phucking illiterate will simply understand the OP question.

[size=14pt]The OP is not asking which song was released 100 years ago. The question is: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed?

We all expect simple anwser and we all know the answer is : OLIVER TWIST By ''D'banj a.k.a Eja nla...[/size]
Either way,its still African queen
Re: African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? by greedie1(f): 12:06pm On Mar 04, 2013
like someone wrote and i hate to agree, oliver twist wins this battle but loses the war.

personally i don't lyk d song atallllllllllll

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Who Is King Of Fuji In Nigeria? / Raymond Ayuba Of Hot 99.5FM Is Dead!! / How To Promote My Music On Radio Stations?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.