Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,062 members, 7,825,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products (15525 Views)

Buying Apps On Blackberry App World / Itunes Store, Android Market, Nokia Ovi Store & Blackberry App World In Nigeria / Mobilitynigeria's Tough Stand - Blackberry App World Now Opened To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by adewasco2k(m): 3:58pm On Mar 08, 2013
Yahoo Inc is shutting down seven products, including its mobile app for Blackberry smartphones, as new Chief Executive Marissa Mayer takes a page from Google Inc's Playbook by eliminating unsuccessful products en masse.

The product shutdowns, which Yahoo announced on its official company blog on Friday, are part of what the company said are regular efforts to evaluate and review its product lineup.

"The most critical question we ask is whether the experience is truly a daily habit that still resonates for all of you today," wrote Jay Rossiter, Yahoo's executive vice president of Platforms.

The announcement represents Yahoo's second group shutdown of products since Mayer, a former Google executive, became CEO of the struggling Web portal in July. So-called "spring cleaning" announcements, in which multiple products are shut down, have become a regular feature at Google in recent years.

Mayer signaled the company would prune its line-up of mobile apps at an investor conference last month, noting that Yahoo would reduce the 60 to 75 disparate mobile apps it currently has to a more manageable 12 to 15 apps.

Yahoo said its app for Blackberry smartphones would no longer be available for download, or supported by Yahoo, as of April 1.

Yahoo also said that on April 1 it will stop supporting Yahoo Avatars - the cartoon-like digital characters that consumers create to depict them on Web services such as Yahoo instant messenger and Facebook. Consumers who want to continue using their avatar on Yahoo's online services must download the avatar and then re-upload the information to their personalized Yahoo profile.

The other Yahoo products set to be terminated include Yahoo App Search, Yahoo Sports IQ, Yahoo Clues, the Yahoo Message Boards website and the Yahoo Updates API.

http://www.wasconet.com/yahoo-to-shut-down-seven-products-including-blackberry-app/
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Onyenna(m): 4:24pm On Mar 08, 2013
....Who cares...... undecided

3 Likes

Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Bawss1(m): 5:27pm On Mar 08, 2013
Yahoo?

Gosh its been ages since I used their app on the iPhone. Amazing how things change.
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Nobody: 6:22pm On Mar 08, 2013
Someone please tell me it's end of blackberry madness
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Nobody: 6:26pm On Mar 08, 2013
O WELL, they had a jolly good run. just dont shut down the mail yet .......
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by slyk2(m): 6:27pm On Mar 08, 2013
One door closes, another opens.

1 Like

Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by ebamma(m): 6:29pm On Mar 08, 2013
A dead company trying to hurt another dying company #i dey laugh oh

9 Likes

Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Kaybaba5(m): 6:30pm On Mar 08, 2013
rubbish, yahoo is down already And everybody is experiencing it
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by timpaker(m): 6:30pm On Mar 08, 2013

I guess they realized how useless the blackberry app search has been to users and decided to scrap it.

Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Revolva(m): 6:31pm On Mar 08, 2013
REALITY101: Someone please tell me it's end of blackberry madness
Reason before you post they aint talkin abour blackberry ..its yahoo shuttin some apps..ok
What ya problem with blackberry its just a fone and yahoo is a website
Yahoo is a very useless email if them like make dem shut down all apps I go always wit gmail so mobile friendly but yahoo is not accessible. To mobile these dayz

9 Likes

Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Deiok(m): 6:32pm On Mar 08, 2013
Yahoo use to be the biggest and best i dont know what realy happened to them,
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 08, 2013
I can't remember the last time I used anything that has yahoo on its name.

1 Like

Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by surveycash(m): 6:32pm On Mar 08, 2013
This is not a good sign

1 Like

Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Oahray: 6:33pm On Mar 08, 2013
Yahoo? Mtscheew! They can shut everything if they like. They have long fallen.
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by chessguru(m): 6:35pm On Mar 08, 2013
April 1?? April FOOLS day yahoo sef wan throw prank

1 Like

Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Mayowura: 6:35pm On Mar 08, 2013
Every os has it's own era... Symbian's gone, now blackberry is preparing to zoom off...
Well, life goes on!!!

1 Like

Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by SamConquer(m): 6:45pm On Mar 08, 2013
How Does That Stop BlackBerry From ''Breaking Banks''....Oh I See,You Guys Have Not Been In The News Lately..Or Is the ''New Manager Policy Syndrome''.Typical In Naija..Where New Management Comes In With ''gra-gra''........

1 Like

Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Nobody: 6:45pm On Mar 08, 2013
Whose loss is it anyway?
Definitely not mine bt theirs undecided
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Kaxmytex(m): 6:47pm On Mar 08, 2013
[size=28pt]hw dis 1 take affect my touch light nokia?
Make dem park well jawe
[/size]
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by samdon12(m): 6:48pm On Mar 08, 2013
chei yahoo boyz una juju don dey follow yahoo all the way from Ogbomosho ....witch people from village

3 Likes

Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Greatken007(m): 6:49pm On Mar 08, 2013
does that mean this is the end of road for YAHOO YAHOO BOYS?IF SO,'BRAVO'IF NOT SHAME ON THEM

Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Fhemmmy: 6:50pm On Mar 08, 2013

Never . . .
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by samdon12(m): 6:51pm On Mar 08, 2013
SamConquer: How Does That Stop BlackBerry From ''Breaking Banks''....Oh I See,You Guys Have Not Been In The News Lately..Or Is the ''New Manager Policy Syndrome''.Typical In Naija..Where New Management Comes In With ''gra-gra''........
na so bro...initial gra-gra
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by ITbomb(m): 6:54pm On Mar 08, 2013
Mayowura: Every os has it's own era... Symbian's gone, now blackberry is preparing to zoom off...
Well, life goes on!!!
Do people read at all?
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by bigx(m): 6:58pm On Mar 08, 2013
Yahoo had a blackberry app?
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by JideTheBlogger(m): 7:07pm On Mar 08, 2013
bigx: Yahoo had a blackberry app?

I wonder oo
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Drayzeal(m): 7:08pm On Mar 08, 2013
Life goes on
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Encoredme(m): 7:11pm On Mar 08, 2013
adewasco2k: Yahoo Inc is shutting down seven products, including its mobile app for Blackberry smartphones, as new Chief Executive Marissa Mayer takes a page from Google Inc's Playbook by eliminating unsuccessful products en masse.

The product shutdowns, which Yahoo announced on its official company blog on Friday, are part of what the company said are regular efforts to evaluate and review its product lineup.

"The most critical question we ask is whether the experience is truly a daily habit that still resonates for all of you today," wrote Jay Rossiter, Yahoo's executive vice president of Platforms.

The announcement represents Yahoo's second group shutdown of products since Mayer, a former Google executive, became CEO of the struggling Web portal in July. So-called "spring cleaning" announcements, in which multiple products are shut down, have become a regular feature at Google in recent years.

Mayer signaled the company would prune its line-up of mobile apps at an investor conference last month, noting that Yahoo would reduce the 60 to 75 disparate mobile apps it currently has to a more manageable 12 to 15 apps.

Yahoo said its app for Blackberry smartphones would no longer be available for download, or supported by Yahoo, as of April 1.

Yahoo also said that on April 1 it will stop supporting Yahoo Avatars - the cartoon-like digital characters that consumers create to depict them on Web services such as Yahoo instant messenger and Facebook. Consumers who want to continue using their avatar on Yahoo's online services must download the avatar and then re-upload the information to their personalized Yahoo profile.

The other Yahoo products set to be terminated include Yahoo App Search, Yahoo Sports IQ, Yahoo Clues, the Yahoo Message Boards website and the Yahoo Updates API.

http://www.wasconet.com/yahoo-to-shut-down-seven-products-including-blackberry-app/

It's even high time they looked at things and make Yahoo more appealing, gmail had come to stay...they should borrow a leaf from Google and upgrade things!
Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Confusion: 7:13pm On Mar 08, 2013
Please where are the end times guys

this must really be the signs of end times

1 Like

Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Ejine(m): 7:16pm On Mar 08, 2013
Yahoo can go take a seat in the deepest pit of hell for all I care.

I'm just so glad I left this sinking platform and their outdated, obsolete system.

Can you believe I've got 12 Nairaland PMs I haven't read?

Why? Because when I try to log in to my mailbox (I used YahooMail to open this Nairaland handle), it tells me there's a problem and I should log in with a computer.

And then, when I DO try to log in from my laptop I am redirected to a CAPTCHA verification screen.

Ohhhh, but it gets interesting: Now, instead of displaying a distorted CAPTCHA word for me to type in, I am simply shown a message: "We're sorry, there is no image available"!!!

In my frustration, I decided to do a little googling, and discovered YahooMail BANNED all NIGERIAN Globacom users from accessing their Mail system.
This shows nothing but laziness and idiiocy on their part, because:

1. They are too phucking dull to develop better technology to properly weed out the spammers and allow the innocent ones in; and

2. They don't realize they're officially losing MILLIONS of subscribers with this dumbass move.

I've long abandoned that stupiid asss mail system and have moved to the cleaner, more-efficient GMail, so I'm laying out my sincerest apologies to the Nairalanders who mailed, because I most likely will never be able to read those mails sad

As their market share continues to sink like a sumo wrestler on quick sand, I give them my last two words --- Phuck you.

6 Likes

Re: Yahoo To Shut Down Blackberry App & Other Products by Nasri100(m): 7:16pm On Mar 08, 2013
bigx: Yahoo had a blackberry app?

Ode yahoo messenger nko

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Get Airtel 4.5GB For 1500# And 6GB For 2500# / Tecno Camon C9 With 13MP Dual Camera & Iris Scanner / 5G License Auction: MTN, Mafab Communications Win Slots For $273m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.