Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,393 members, 7,819,404 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? (4447 Views)

Why Do Atheists Attack Mostly Christians? / Where do Atheists go when they die? / Curious!! Breastfeeding Inside The Church, Right Or Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Mar 11, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
Live and let live. Can't fault your logic.

But then if we continue to compromise, it'll reach a point where everything will be accepted (imagine paedophilles clamouring for rights).
Not everything will be accepted. For example, in the case of paedophilia, would you like such to happen to your kids?

Morality is not set in stone. Even the 'believers' find it a struggle living up to the tenets of their religion. Atheists usually wouldn't be bothered about what others believe: if you claim that a God exists, no problem.

But when there's no evidence for that God, and then you come out to claim that God admires or regulates slavery or wants all homosexuals to be punished, then there's a problem.

Being an atheist doesn't exempt one from being responsible to the society. Atheism isn't lawlessness. Atheism is a disbelief in God.

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 2:40pm On Mar 11, 2013
ooman:

then your scruple comes in if you were an atheist, if you were a xtian, no God would make you confess too, remeber that we have freewill. Atheism depends on evidence, xtians depend on faith.
A true Christian (someone who TRULY follows the teachings of Yeshua) wouldn't have run away in the first place. Yes God won't make such a person confess but his love for God would make him confess.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Mar 11, 2013
A true Christian (someone who TRULY follows the teachings of Yeshua) wouldn't have run away in the first place. Yes God won't make such a person confess but his love for God would make him confess.
You know, Christians in general have a lot of opinions as to what/who a true Christian is? The only TRUE Christian was Christ. The rest of us are left to battle with this carnal body... Hehehe
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 2:52pm On Mar 11, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt: @OP do you really need GOD to tell you that murder is wrong
What exactly stops an atheist from killing someone who rap..ed his mum and killed his father? Let's assume he gets a chance to kill the offender without getting caught, what stops him from taking his revenge?

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 2:53pm On Mar 11, 2013
musKeeto:
You know, Christians in general have a lot of opinions as to what/who a true Christian is? The only TRUE Christian was Christ. The rest of us are left to battle with this carnal body... Hehehe
The irony! We should be called christians-in-training
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Mar 11, 2013
What exactly stops an atheist from killing someone who rap..ed his mum and killed his father? Let's assume he gets a chance to kill the offender without getting caught, what stops him from taking his revenge?
Be clear here.

Do you mean
a. An atheist shouldn't revenge.
b. Atheists have no reason to forgive those who may have hurt them.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 3:00pm On Mar 11, 2013
musKeeto:
Not everything will be accepted. For example, in the case of paedophilia, would you like such to happen to your kids?
No one prays for a bad thing to befall him.

Morality is not set in stone. Even the 'believers' find it a struggle living up to the tenets of their religion. Atheists usually wouldn't be bothered about what others believe: if you claim that a God exists, no problem.

But when there's no evidence for that God, and then you come out to claim that God admires or regulates slavery or wants all homosexuals to be punished, then there's a problem.

Being an atheist doesn't exempt one from being responsible to the society. Atheism isn't lawlessness. Atheism is a disbelief in God.
So does this mean that an atheist morality is decided by what the society dictates?
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 3:04pm On Mar 11, 2013
musKeeto:
Be clear here.

Do you mean
a. An atheist shouldn't revenge.
b. Atheists have no reason to forgive those who may have hurt them.
I'll have to go with ''a'' but that's just my opinion. Why should they go with my opinion? What makes it right? Who decides that option b is wrong?
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 11, 2013
I'll have to go with ''a'' but that's just my opinion. Why should they go with my opinion? What makes it right? Who decides that option b is wrong?
At this point, read my posts again from the beginning. No one tells an atheist what's right or wrong. In most cases, it is dictated by society. On a personal level, the atheist could differ from others on some issues e.g homosexuality, humanism.

Truth is an atheist or anyone for that matter can choose to be accountable to his family, loved ones or society. An atheist just chooses not to leave such decisions in the hands of a non-existent being.

E.g If Abraham was an atheist, he would have checked into a sanitarium rather than attempt to sacrifice his son. Be fearful of the man who believes his actions are sanctioned by his God. We've seen what damage they can cause.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by ooman(m): 4:00pm On Mar 11, 2013

delusions of grandeur
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 4:12pm On Mar 11, 2013
musKeeto:
At this point, read my posts again from the beginning. No one tells an atheist what's right or wrong. In most cases, it is dictated by society. On a personal level, the atheist could differ from others on some issues e.g homosexuality, humanism.

Truth is an atheist or anyone for that matter can choose to be accountable to his family, loved ones or society. An atheist just chooses not to leave such decisions in the hands of a non-existent being.

E.g If Abraham was an atheist, he would have checked into a sanitarium rather than attempt to sacrifice his son. Be fearful of the man who believes his actions are sanctioned by his God. We've seen what damage they can cause.
I clearly get your point now. Society determines what is right or wrong for an atheist but sometimes it is all dependent on the atheist's own views.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:18pm On Mar 11, 2013
I clicked "Like" because nobody likes you grin grin grin but seriously, what you are talking about (REVENGE) is an action driven by powerful (Human) emotions..we are all human and being atheists does not make it any different. The decision to act on your emotions or let them over-run your love (another powerful emotion) for humanity depends on the level of emotional maturity you have achieved in life. Christians kill based on vengeful feelings to.. ask Joseph, ask David, ask Solomon these are all God's Holy Prophets
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by mazaje(m): 4:23pm On Mar 11, 2013
@OP. . .
Morality is a man made invention. . .People created all the moral codes of conduct they chose to abide by. . .Human's have the ability to self reflect and always use that when creating and making better their moral codes. . .The goal of setting moral codes of conduct is for the better survival of the society. . .If we don't get our morals figured out right, we do things that create hardship, suffering, and conflict in the society. . .If enslaving others will make the society thrive better then slavery will be encouraged by the society. . .When the ancient jews felt enslaving their neighbors will be good for them and make them flourish better they said their god encouraged them to enslave those around them. . .When they felt stoning to death their children wills serve as a mean of deterrence, they said their god told them to stone to death their disobedient children as a good thing. . .

Morality is not set in stone it varies from society to society and is always evolving. . .Morality must be learned that is why parents spend a lot of time teaching their kids the difference between good and bad according to the laws of the society they live in. . .The fear of punishment is actually what makes people avoid doing evil most of the time. . .
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 5:02pm On Mar 11, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt:
I clicked "Like" because nobody likes you grin grin grin
I don't understand this part of your post.
but seriously, what you are talking about (REVENGE) is an action driven by powerful (Human) emotions..we are all human and being atheists does not make it any different. The decision to act on your emotions or let them over-run your love (another powerful emotion) for humanity depends on the level of emotional maturity you have achieved in life.
You asked if I needed God to determine if murder is wrong or not and I asked if an atheist could murder for revenge. Note that most religions don't condone murder for whatever reason
Christians kill based on vengeful feelings to.. ask Joseph, ask David, ask Solomon these are all God's Holy Prophets
Joseph, David, Solomon were not actual Christians.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 5:07pm On Mar 11, 2013
mazaje: The fear of punishment is actually what makes people avoid doing evil most of the time. . .
That means that no one would really be morally upright if there were no punisment attached. This could be true. Nice post BTW on the evolution of morality.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by mazaje(m): 5:13pm On Mar 11, 2013

You asked if I needed God to determine if murder is wrong or not and I asked if an atheist could murder for revenge. Note that most religions don't condone murder for whatever reason

But in most societies, the societal moral laws supersedes religious moral laws. . .Killing is not always wrong. . .It is actually right to kill in self defense. . .Killing murderers and other eveil doers to serve as a means of deterrence is also considered as a good thing in many societies.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by mazaje(m): 5:17pm On Mar 11, 2013
That means that no one would really be morally upright if there were no punisment attached. This could be true. Nice post BTW on the evolution of morality.

Sure, the fear of punishment is actually what keeps most people in line in reality. . .When you tell too much lies, you lose your reputation and people will never trust you and many will not like to have any serious thing to do with you. . .The fear of such an outcome and the embarrassment that comes with it is what makes people not to tell lies most of the time rather than the love of god as many theist love claiming. . .
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Mar 11, 2013
Hmm, mazaje never fails to disappoint. I see you left that 'cowardice' thread..
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by mazaje(m): 8:42pm On Mar 11, 2013
What's there to do on that thread. The thread has become senseless to me.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Image123(m): 12:53am On Mar 12, 2013
it's deadly to leave the likes of Stalin to determine what is right and what is wrong.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by mazaje(m): 9:21am On Mar 12, 2013
Image123: it's deadly to leave the likes of Stalin to determine what is right and what is wrong.

Mass murderers like Moses, Jehu, David, Elijah, Joshua etc in the bible that were alleged to hand down your own god's moral codes are different from Stalin how?. . .

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:33am On Mar 12, 2013
mazaje:

Mass muderes like Moses, Jehu, David, Elijah, Joshua etc in the bible that were alleged to hand down your own god's moral codes are different from Stalin how?. . .

inspiredbyGOD says they are not Christians even if they were his Chosen People.. so by his submission everyone before the death of Christ are not Christians they are simply Pagans worshiping GOD of israel in all Paganness grin grin grin this guy is some piece of work

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 10:38am On Mar 12, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt:

inspiredbyGOD says they are not Christians even if they were his Chosen People.. so by his submission everyone before the death of Christ are not Christians they are simply Pagans worshiping GOD of israel in all Paganness grin grin grin this guy is some piece of work
Mr man, there is a diffeence between Judaism and Christianity. I know why I said they were not actual Christians.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:51am On Mar 12, 2013
Mr man, there is a difference between Judaism and Christianity. I know why I said they were not actual Christians.
Ok I agree with you. please give me a strict guideline(s) on who or which groups you can refer to as Christians
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 11:23am On Mar 12, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt:
Ok I agree with you. please give me a strict guideline(s) on who or which groups you can refer to as Christians
Simply put, Jews are under the law while Christians are under grace. The topic is really very wide.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Image123(m): 7:59pm On Mar 12, 2013
mazaje:

Mass murderers like Moses, Jehu, David, Elijah, Joshua etc in the bible that were alleged to hand down your own god's moral codes are different from Stalin how?. . .
It borders on ignorance or extreme thoughtlessness to compare Stalin to those men above. Perhaps, Obama and Bush are no different from Stalin to you as well since they are also involved in wars. Dunno which Jehu you are referring to, and his 'crimes'. but as for the rest (Moses, David, Elijah and Joshua) i can vouch for them as excellent men , more excellent than you will ever be as an atheist. They are different from you and Stalin as they believe in Jehovah God. Stalin didn't believe in God, he was self centred and accountable to no one, as it were. These men were rulers and conquerors accountable to God and not self-centred like Stalin and all atheists.
-How Stalin who imprisoned several million people in correction labour camps is comparable to Moses or David or Elijah or Joshua beats the imagination and leaves much to be desired.
-Stalin had a cult of personality, calling himself names like (Father of Nations, Brilliant genius of humanity, Gardener of Human Happiness, Liberator of nations, Life and Sun), naming several places and prizes after himself, several statues of himself, and forcing his name into the national anthem. None of the righteous men you named did these. Hopefully, you can see how they are different.
-Stalin was a communist, condemned on numerous occasions in his lifetime and after his death, regarded worldwide as a tyrant and dictator, a notrious bank robber and a ransom kidnapper, an extortionist. None of those godly men did any of these. Perhaps you may now spot the difference.
- Ever heard of Stalin's forced collectivization, where he starved peasants until it was common sight to see their dead bodies on the streets? Where it was a crime to be found eating or gleaning? A time when millions were dying of hunger and Stalin was exporting grain and refusing to release grain reserves to the populace, also forcing and preventing staving peasants from fleeing? Ever read or heard of stalin's Holodomor, a catastrophic famine that led to the death of millions? Have you heard about the Great Purge where hundreds of thousands were executed by Stalin in rigged show-trials and forced confessions and torture, all in a bid to consolidate the authority of Joseph Stalin? you see no difference between such a man and Elijah, Joshua, David and Moses? You're more pathetic than i thought. Goes to show the kind of heart that atheists have, and what they would do without batting an eyelid or having as much as a guilty conscience if given the opportunity of power, or determining right and wrong. When one sees Stalin's actions as normal and equal to the lives of King David and Moses, thee is cause for worry. These are the people we are giving and clamouring rights for. May God save us.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Mar 12, 2013
And a slave rises to defend his masters. Everything they did can be excused because it had God's approval. We've heard you. All atheists are evil and will abuse power if given the chance, including logicboy's best president.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Image123(m): 10:32pm On Mar 12, 2013
musKeeto: And a slave rises to defend his masters. Everything they did can be excused because it had God's approval. We've heard you. All atheists are evil and will abuse power if given the chance, including logicboy's best president.

go and count grains of rice or take some readily available INDIAn hemp abeg. Your cohort just confessed to seeing no difference between Joseph Stalin and King David. I'd rather serve God than serve your master, the devil.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 12:34am On Mar 13, 2013
Image123:
go and count grains of rice or take some readily available INDIAn hemp abeg. Your cohort just confessed to seeing no difference between Joseph Stalin and King David. I'd rather serve God than serve your master, the devil.
Lol, so much anger. Don't blame anyone for your slow transformation into a super troll. Trolling conceals your apparent ignorance, so I'd advice you keep it up. wink
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 7:26am On Mar 13, 2013
Interesting.. Please nobody should try reversing this question at this moment. It's too early for that escape route.
I want to see an atheist defend something at length before squeezing the attack line.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 7:29am On Mar 13, 2013
Reyginus: Interesting.. Please nobody should try reversing this question at this moment. It's too early for that escape route.
I want to see an atheist defend something at length before squeezing the attack line.
Morning... didn't quite get your post..
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 7:38am On Mar 13, 2013
musKeeto:
Morning... didn't quite get your post..
Good morning bro. Truth is, I've never seen an atheist defend anything without a lense on theism.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Muslims Penisess Will Never Soften. Eternal Erection Awaits All Muslims In Islam / Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? / Can One Really Purchase The Holyspirit By His Own Effort?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.