Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,158 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? (4446 Views)

Why Do Atheists Attack Mostly Christians? / Where do Atheists go when they die? / Curious!! Breastfeeding Inside The Church, Right Or Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Image123(m): 10:48am On Mar 13, 2013
musKeeto:
Lol, so much anger. Don't blame anyone for your slow transformation into a super troll. Trolling conceals your apparent ignorance, so I'd advice you keep it up. wink
you're angry with the truth. You'd have no excuse on judgment day.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 11:36am On Mar 13, 2013
Seems like someone's taking my advice. Glad I could be of help. Now keep trolling for Jesus.

And remember if the good atheists of NL ever ignore you, just quote someone and post some random sh1t from the Holy Book.. It won't fail to give you the attention you so much desire, unlike prayer... Be safe, son..
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by dekung(m): 12:56pm On Mar 13, 2013
@Image123, if Stalin had claimed he was acting under. God's instruction to perpetrate all the above stated attrocities it would have been acceptable by you and other Christians especially if he claimed those people were wicked, devilish, fetish and also commit the sins of human sacrifice? I honestly do not see the difference between Stalin and your Moses, Joshua, David, elijah. In one of the five books Moses ordered the killing of POWs who were males as well as those women who were not vergins and the Soldeirs to take the virgins for thenselves. (Am kinda trying to imagine how the soldiers performed the virginity tests did they have to finger the ladies of use their ding dongs, we may never know but I can bet you those ladies would be in serious trauma. First you are being raped on God's command and then you aare sentenced death for not being a virgin after the rape). Elijah slaughterd, in cold blood, Baal prophets on mt carmel just because they failed in a superiority contest between gods. This is just two out of several incidences of cold blooded war crimes and genocides in the name of God. You also claaimed Stalin had been convicted for crimes against humanity both in life and death but do you think if Moses, Joshua, David and Elijah had lived in contemporary times the won't be tried and convicted of war crimes and genocides along with Stalin? Stalin probably killed millions directly or indirectly but Moses too killed several thousands too cos I still read it somewhere that in one fell swoop moses ordered the masacre of more than 20,000 people. Maybe you are more concerned about the numbers but does it make a difference to the families of the deceased? Stalin did his in the name of His God, probably communism while moses and his team mates did theirs in the name of their god, probably YHWH.

1 Like

Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by mazaje(m): 1:37pm On Mar 13, 2013
Image123:
It borders on ignorance or extreme thoughtlessness to compare Stalin to those men above. Perhaps, Obama and Bush are no different from Stalin to you as well since they are also involved in wars. Dunno which Jehu you are referring to, and his 'crimes'. but as for the rest (Moses, David, Elijah and Joshua) i can vouch for them as excellent men , more excellent than you will ever be as an atheist. They are different from you and Stalin as they believe in Jehovah God. Stalin didn't believe in God, he was self centred and accountable to no one, as it were. These men were rulers and conquerors accountable to God and not self-centred like Stalin and all atheists.
-How Stalin who imprisoned several million people in correction labour camps is comparable to Moses or David or Elijah or Joshua beats the imagination and leaves much to be desired.
-Stalin had a cult of personality, calling himself names like (Father of Nations, Brilliant genius of humanity, Gardener of Human Happiness, Liberator of nations, Life and Sun), naming several places and prizes after himself, several statues of himself, and forcing his name into the national anthem. None of the righteous men you named did these. Hopefully, you can see how they are different.
-Stalin was a communist, condemned on numerous occasions in his lifetime and after his death, regarded worldwide as a tyrant and dictator, a notrious bank robber and a ransom kidnapper, an extortionist. None of those godly men did any of these. Perhaps you may now spot the difference.
- Ever heard of Stalin's forced collectivization, where he starved peasants until it was common sight to see their dead bodies on the streets? Where it was a crime to be found eating or gleaning? A time when millions were dying of hunger and Stalin was exporting grain and refusing to release grain reserves to the populace, also forcing and preventing staving peasants from fleeing? Ever read or heard of stalin's Holodomor, a catastrophic famine that led to the death of millions? Have you heard about the Great Purge where hundreds of thousands were executed by Stalin in rigged show-trials and forced confessions and torture, all in a bid to consolidate the authority of Joseph Stalin? you see no difference between such a man and Elijah, Joshua, David and Moses? You're more pathetic than i thought. Goes to show the kind of heart that atheists have, and what they would do without batting an eyelid or having as much as a guilty conscience if given the opportunity of power, or determining right and wrong. When one sees Stalin's actions as normal and equal to the lives of King David and Moses, thee is cause for worry. These are the people we are giving and clamouring rights for. May God save us.

What is this drivel all about?. . . . . . .If Moses, Joshua, Elijah etc were alive today and did what ever was written about them in the bible, they would have been arrested and locked up as war criminals. . .That is the FACT. . .
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by Image123(m): 4:46pm On Mar 13, 2013
@dkung

@Image123, if Stalin had claimed he was acting under. God's instruction to perpetrate all the above stated attrocities it would have been acceptable by you and other Christians especially if he claimed those people were wicked, devilish, fetish and also commit the sins of human sacrifice?
Fortunately, we have examples of people who claim to be acting under God's instructions today, many whom the christian community decries and denounces.Rev. King is a nearby example. The jihadists and terrorists are everyday examples. Stalin never made such claims, why not class him based on what he did instead of suppositions and assumptions.

I honestly do not see the difference between Stalin and your Moses, Joshua, David, elijah.
i'd be honestly surprised and optimistic if you saw the difference. The same spirit is in you as is in mazaje and other atheists like Stalin. i think it was thehomer i was sharing that with and he was complaining when i was generalising using Nietzsche and Russell. Now, its becoming obvious even on NL. It's not just about not believing in God or in existensialism, you are all of the same.

In one of the five books Moses ordered the killing of POWs who were males as well as those women who were not vergins and the Soldeirs to take the virgins for thenselves. (Am kinda trying to imagine how the soldiers performed the virginity tests did they have to finger the ladies of use their ding dongs, we may never know but I can bet you those ladies would be in serious trauma. First you are being Molested on God's command and then you aare sentenced death for not being a virgin after the molestation).
Why not make up your mind, firstly its "we may never know" and you're trying to imagine. Next thing is that you know for sure that they were molested on God's command. Here is the text.
Num 31:14 And Moses was wroth with the officers of the host, with the captains over thousands, and captains over hundreds, which came from the battle.
Num 31:15 And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?
Num 31:16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.
Num 31:17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
Num 31:18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Moses acted on God's instructions, not on personal desires. Stalin acted on personal desires and for personal gain. The Bible says Moses acted on God's instructions. we cannot pretend that that is not there or cut it out, and only choose to believe the parts we want to.
Num 31:1 And the LORD spoke unto Moses, saying,
Num 31:2 Avenge the children of Israel of the Midianites: afterward shalt thou be gathered unto thy people.
Num 31:3 And Moses spoke unto the people, saying, Arm some of yourselves unto the war, and let them go against the Midianites, and avenge the LORD of Midian.

If you followed the story from chapter 21, you'd notice that Israel was not supposed to fight with Midian, infact they sent a message as to that effect. But the Midianites attacked Israel. Then they got Ballaam the prophet to curse Israel, and made/sent their women to seduce the Israelites to commit idolatry. This was why God judged them after He had severely punished Israel. Israel's Bible history showed that they cohabited with their neighbours unlike Stalin who was killing millions of countrymen and strangers under whimsy excuses, to assert power and authority for himself.

Elijah slaughterd, in cold blood, Baal prophets on mt carmel just because they failed in a superiority contest between gods. This is just two out of several incidences of cold blooded war crimes and genocides in the name of God.
Another case of divine judgement. Elijah had no personal vendetta. He was God's authority on earth. Everyone in authority represents God and has God-given right to exercise judgement against SIN. God approves that people in authority exercise judgement on criminals. It is an abuse of office to use that office for personal vendetta, dictatorship, cult of personality or power aggrandisement.
Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
Rom 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

The prophets of Baal were false/counterfeit prophets who had led the Israelites into idolatry. They received instant judgement which God had prescribed in His law for anyone that leads Israel to idolatry.
Deu 13:5 And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.
He was following an established law of their land which had been in place and accepted by all Israel generations before him and after him. There was a standard in place, a nationally acceptable determinant of right and wrong, it wasn't lawless.
Exo 19:8 And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.
Jos 1:16 And they answered Joshua, saying, All that thou commandest us we will do, and whithersoever thou sendest us, we will go.
Jer 42:20 For ye dissembled in your hearts, when ye sent me unto the LORD your God, saying, Pray for us unto the LORD our God; and according unto all that the LORD our God shall say, so declare unto us, and we will do it.
Neh 10:29 They cleaved to their brethren, their nobles, and entered into a curse, and into an oath, to walk in God's law, which was given by Moses the servant of God, and to observe and do all the commandments of the LORD our Lord, and his judgments and his statutes;

You also claaimed Stalin had been convicted for crimes against humanity both in life and death but do you think if Moses, Joshua, David and Elijah had lived in contemporary times the won't be tried and convicted of war crimes and genocides along with Stalin? Stalin probably killed millions directly or indirectly but Moses too killed several thousands too cos I still read it somewhere that in one fell swoop moses ordered the masacre of more than 20,000 people. Maybe you are more concerned about the numbers but does it make a difference to the families of the deceased? Stalin did his in the name of His God, probably communism while moses and his team mates did theirs in the name of their god, probably YHWH.
You forgot to tell us what crimes David committed? i guess everyone being killed by US troops in the Middle-East and Nigerian soldiers in Mali and other parts of Africa, you think they are cold blooded murders by Obama and Jonathan respectively? Have you truly read about Stalin? It's crazy to make such sweeping statements as finding no difference between Stalin and King David, or Moses, or Elijah. These were children of God, and children of God are not lawless or a law to themselves. If they lived in contemporary times, they wouldn't do the things they did then. There is time for everything(Eccl 3v1)Ecc 3:3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
In God's time-table for us, we are in the grace period, in a new covenant/agreement. Check/reference God's new covenant/testament in your Bible. Most of the so called laws in the many nations have their roots in the Bible laws, like it or hate it.
Also, killing a million is different from killing one. So, YES, the numbers matter, i'm concerned about the numbers, are you not? Do you really think the person who kills a million should be considered the same and judged the same as the one that killed one?

mazaje: What is this drivel all about?. . . . . . .If Moses, Joshua, Elijah etc were alive today and did what ever was written about them in the bible, they would have been arrested and locked up as war criminals. . .That is the FACT. . .
i've answered in the above. i knew it would be drivel to you to show you their differences. You're a blinded bigot for comparing King David to Stalin. where is he today after all his noise. How is he remembered, and how is King David remembered. i would be surprised if you saw the difference. The Scripture remains truer, more current and more relevant than tomorrow's newspaper.
2Co 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
Re: How Do Atheists Determine What Is Right Or Wrong? by manmustwac(m): 1:20am On Mar 15, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
This got me thinking: A theist believes all source of morality comes from God or gods. He tries to live his life pleasing that God/gods and tries to obey his creator's commandments. For an atheist however, there is no God. How then do atheists determine what is right or wrong? I mean, a Christian for instance decides to be honest in all aspects of his life because he loves God, a Muslim decides to be generous because he wants to submit to Allah and so on and so forth but for an atheist, I can't seem to understand what exactly is their driving force. What exactly stops an atheist from cheating on his wife? From scamming his boss? From lieing to his children? From being dishonest? From being greedy/selfish?
How exactly does an atheist determine what is right or wrong?
.......The thread is open to all and sundry......
Well from an atheists point of view God don't exist so you saying that you get your morals from God doesn't make sense. Let me ask you a few questions about morality in Nigeria

1)Do our religious leaders who loot with impunity while the masses they are supposed to govern are suffering & dieing. Do they have morals?

2)Dose the Nigerian Police Force who's main job is to collect to collect bribes for any service rendered (and who are also involved in extra judicial killings) have morals?

3)If you had an accident & were rushed to hospital not only would it take a long-time due to hold up but the doctors & nurses will watch you die for their presence if you don't have money. Do they have morals?

4)Your Godfearing Pastors who use the bible to obtain money from the masses while repaying them back with lipservice. Do they have morals?

Morals come from your parents who train you & the enviorment you grow up in not from some ancient storybook

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why should I worship a 3 Headed God That Was Nailed On The Cross? / Check Out 10 Prominent And Influential Igbo Muslims In Nigeria / Download 47 Free Ebooks & Mp3 Audios By Kenneth E. Hagin On Faith, Healing,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.