Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,025 members, 7,838,574 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? (599 Views)

Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News / Help!!! Who Is Nigeria's First DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED President / Buhari's Running Mate To Emerge Democratically-APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Mar 11, 2013
I have seen countless times people bring up sentiments both religiously and ethnically to rubbish buhari personality.though I'm not his fan but I think there would be a great difference between a military buhari and a democractic buhari.

About islamizing Nigeria,if buhari could not islamize Nigeria as a military president,how do we think he will be able to do so as a democratic president that will require the approval of the parliament to achieve same ?

About human right - it still won't be as when he was a military because he would be forced to abide by the rules of democracy whether he likes it or not.

About cleaning up the system - Everyone of us knows that the likes of obasanjo,Babangida,Ty Danjuma and other thieving politicians won't want a buhari president including the PDP as a party.

About corruption - What if we have an aggresive buhari that has zero tolerance for corruption considering the fact that the singular problem of Nigeria is corruption ?

Ethnic distrust - Everyone have their opinions about Northerners and their attitude towards power but the real issue we should ask ourselves if we have really had a president that really satisfied his region,tribe or religion satisfactorily since independence.there is still leakage at one point or the other.

My point is why we should continue to put sentiments ahead of a possibly merit.Where has pdp brought Nigeria to considering the fact that nothing has changed in the last 14 years ? What's the way forward Nigeria ?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by idlaw2k3(m): 7:14pm On Mar 11, 2013
His stlye of leadership would certainly be a departure from what we have at present but there are thousands of more qualified than him out there.

Age is not on his side

History is not on his side(He forcefully took over a democratic government)

I think he should just retire as a statesman in honour.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by Dibiachukwu: 9:04pm On Mar 11, 2013
My brother everything.
1) We would sell us out to both britain and saudi arabia
2) He would be too busy fighting his own definition of corruption and do no work.
3) He would break all the rules in the constitution
4) Buhari should rather campaign for governorship in the core north. He would win!
5) He had a chance before and his legacy makes me embarrassed for him

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by astar2008(m): 9:08pm On Mar 11, 2013
He has nothing to Offer, Nigeria needs a president that is in touch with the Current time.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by solopumpy227: 9:54pm On Mar 11, 2013
idlaw2k3: His stlye of leadership would certainly be a departure from what we have at present but there are thousands of more qualified than him out there.

Age is not on his side

History is not on his side(He forcefully took over a democratic government)

I think he should just retire as a statesman in honour.

Yes there are millions of more qualified Nigerians but he is the ONLY ONE who has come close to demolishing PDP rigging empire

Bankole, Gbenga Daniel, Maina, Jonathan all have age on their sides but how have they faired in discharging their responsibilties? A Patriot would be more concerned about how resourceful and ready a leader is and not trivial excuses about age.Gen. Buhari is only 69,agile and loaded with energy. The following American Presidents are considered among the best in American history
Ronald Reagan (69 years, 11 months, 14 days)
William H. Harrison (68 years, 0 months, 23 days)
James Buchanan (65 years, 10 months, 9 days)
George H. W. Bush (64 years, 7 months, 8 days)
Zachary Taylor (64 years, 3 months, 8 days)
Dwight D. Eisenhower (62 years, 3 months, 6 days

I will advise you to read more about Nigerian coups and histories. Of all coup expose to date, none has accused Gen. Buhari of planning the coup but (as the tradition of the time) was called to head the resulting military government after the coup.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by solopumpy227: 10:02pm On Mar 11, 2013
Dibiachukwu: My brother everything.
1) We would sell us out to both britain and saudi arabia
2) He would be too busy fighting his own definition of corruption and do no work.
3) He would break all the rules in the constitution
4) Buhari should rather campaign for governorship in the core north. He would win!
5) He had a chance before and his legacy makes me embarrassed for him

Whao my Dear could you please back up your assertions with proofs.
1] On the contrary his Government was hated by Britain/ West/IMF for ''doing things for his people''
Re: What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by mikolo80: 10:34pm On Mar 11, 2013
IF PPL ARE SO QUALIFIED HOW COME THEY DONT COME OUT FOR ELECTION.COS THEY DONT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES,COURAGE AND DETERMINATION.ABI UNA TINK SAY NA GRAMMAR GO SOLVE WETIN DE GROUND NOW.ANYONE WHO CANT WIN IN THEIR WARD IS NOT QUALIFIED TO DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN WATCH FROM THE BENCH
Re: What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by vanunu: 11:46pm On Mar 11, 2013
Buhari should stop wasting his time, in the last election, GEJ defeated him with more than 10million votes. This time around it will be more because I trust PDP's ri.....gging machine.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by solopumpy227: 12:05am On Mar 12, 2013
vanunu: Buhari should stop wasting his time, in the last election, GEJ defeated him with more than 10million votes. This time around it will be more because I trust PDP's ri.....gging machine.

I am assuming you are passing through the University if not already graduated. Whicheverway, you should cover your eyes in shame. ''You trust in the PDP rigging machine'' your Teachers wont be too proud of your thought process. PDP were able to rig Buhari, easily, in the past because it was almost a 'YoMan' show. BB/CPC didnt have resources to monitor election in many states but 2015 will not be the same. It is no more Buhari battle in 2016 but of many patriotic Nigerians who are tired of GEJ/PDP directionlessnes.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by Nobody: 12:06am On Mar 12, 2013
The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari is that he will democratically declare amnesty for Boko Haram.

We are not ready for that kind of 'demoncrazy'.
Thank you.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by solopumpy227: 12:16am On Mar 12, 2013
kenis: The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari is that he will democratically declare amnesty for Boko Haram.

We are not ready for that kind of 'demoncrazy'.
Thank you.

Could you please back your assertions with some convincing proofs to educate those of us that beleive many of you just hate him because he is from the North
Re: What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by Slizbeat(m): 12:28am On Mar 12, 2013
Ok let's say it. There is no big deal in electing our grand father as president but when will you all realise that we don't want him there?

Simple and short, we want a younger person. Buhari was there when Nigeria went array and all those while, he has done nothing other than complaining that election was rigged. Is it bad to add to your country while not a president? If he has the interest of Nigerians at hand, then he should get the picture clear that we don't want him in aso rock but he can also make himself useful by adding to the welfare of the people outside the governmental arms rather than inciting violence.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by Dibiachukwu: 2:14am On Mar 12, 2013
solopumpy227:

Whao my Dear could you please back up your assertions with proofs.
1] On the contrary his Government was hated by Britain/ West/IMF for ''doing things for his people''
Buhari just went to britain to brief them of progress, of recent. What do you mean Britain/WEST/IMF hated him.
Didn't he stop the development of ajeokuta steel?
What is buhari's legacy in terms of developement in Nigeria?
Didn't he preside as NNPC chairman during the oil wind fall?
Who allocated those oil blocks to foreigners and northerners exclusively?
Really?
Re: What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by idlaw2k3(m): 8:26am On Mar 12, 2013
solopumpy227:

Yes there are millions of more qualified Nigerians but he is the ONLY ONE who has come close to demolishing PDP rigging empire

Bankole, Gbenga Daniel, Maina, Jonathan all have age on their sides but how have they faired in discharging their responsibilties? A Patriot would be more concerned about how resourceful and ready a leader is and not trivial excuses about age.Gen. Buhari is only 69,agile and loaded with energy. The following American Presidents are considered among the best in American history
Ronald Reagan (69 years, 11 months, 14 days)
William H. Harrison (68 years, 0 months, 23 days)
James Buchanan (65 years, 10 months, 9 days)
George H. W. Bush (64 years, 7 months, 8 days)
Zachary Taylor (64 years, 3 months, 8 days)
Dwight D. Eisenhower (62 years, 3 months, 6 days

My dear times have changed. Gen Mohammed Buhari was born December 17, 1942 that will make him 73 years in 2015. Will Americans vote in a 73 year old man to lead thier country today?

Also most people in the south in general see him as a religious fanatic with interest only for the north. If wants to win the election come 2015 he has to reach out more to those in the sw, ss, se.

Before Rochas became a Governor, he was a great philantrophist. I know Buhari also renders aid in some form or another but he has to do more to publicise them. Nobody will blow your trumpet for you.

That said I still maintain that it would be much better for him to step aside and give fatherly advice, rather than struggle with the boys.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by BlackPeni5: 9:04am On Mar 12, 2013
I was rooting for Buhari during the 2011 Presidential elections. He however lost my support because he failed to openly condemn the post election violence which claimed the lives innocent Youth Corpers. This shows he values his ambition more than human life.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About A Democratically Elected President Buhari ? by idlaw2k3(m): 9:43am On Mar 12, 2013
^^^yep he has spoken against election rigging but said little or nothing about election violence, he should also speak out against BH, JAMB, ANSARU, etc. His silence on these issues could be interpreted as support.

(1) (Reply)

Govt Withdraws Dana’s Licence / How Chinua Achebe Died – Family / Top 10 Most Ridiculous Lawsuits Of 2011 And 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.