Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,169 members, 7,815,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. (2159 Views)

Why Do Ex's Say, "We Can Still Be Friends," After A Break-up? / They All Say We Look Like Brother And Sister! / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by nkemdaisy: 12:37am On Mar 12, 2013
Hi people,

I need your opinion on this. I got proposed to a wee ago and we intend to do our trad during summer. However I was told according to Igbo tradition we have to do family search and investigation before we proceed.
Now I have just been informed that my ancestors were Osu and my boo's family are not (he's the grandson of a king). From what I hear its an abomination for us to get married. I have tried to get more information/understanding of this but my parents will not talk about it. My mum has adviced that I pull out from the relationship because many marriages betwen osu and non-osu is burdened with a lot of family issues. And that the non-osu family often treat their osu inlaw with disdain and scorn, making life unbearable for the person.

I have tried to discuss this issue with my aunties but no one is willing to talk about it. All they just say is my mum is right, and they will not want me to marry and have problems in the future.

I cant even get my head around the whole thing, is there anything that can be done about it? I'm in a fix dont even know how to tell this to my boyfriend.. I need mature responses please.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by madone: 1:04am On Mar 12, 2013
I don't want to believe that this nollywood popular movie story is exist wat non sense.let the parent go back to the 60s where they belong
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Nobody: 2:21am On Mar 12, 2013
Ibo people and their marriage wahala dey tire pesin.
I Have never seen a tribe that gets into others business like them. Which one be treat in laws with disdain? Any in law that oversteps their boundaries in MY HOUSE automatically qualify for thorough disdain.

Osu or not have nothing to do with it.

1 Like

Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Nobody: 3:22am On Mar 12, 2013
[size=13pt]I don't have any experience with this issue, so I may come off as naive. If I were in your position, however, I'd notify the boyfriend as soon as possible. Let him hear the news from you. Tell him the results of the alleged investigation and tell him how much you love him and how much he means to you. Then, ask him what he thinks of it. If he loves you unconditionally, he should be willing to overcome backlash from both of your families and weather storms with you by his side. Unconditional love is hard to find though, so you should prepare yourself for another outcome, which may be that it does matter to him and he doesn't want himself or his family to be "shamed".

I'm very much against the Osu caste system and I'm always shocked to hear stories of it still occurring. It's 2013. Whatever the outcome is, you should be confident in who you are and remind yourself that ancient traditions do not dictate who you are nor make you a lesser human being. Good luck.[/size]

1 Like

Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Mynd44: 3:49am On Mar 12, 2013
Are we still into this Osu thing in Nigeria? Abeg babe before you make any hasty decisions, call your BF and have a talk with him as the only people who have a say here are the two of you
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Kaxmytex(m): 4:05am On Mar 12, 2013
Am nt an igbo buh i guess osu means an outcast....am i right?

For God sake,wetin corcern pple wey don die 50-60yrs ago wit d ones wey dey still exist?
Chai....naija and dere superstitious beliefs
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Ivynwa(f): 4:58am On Mar 12, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]I don't have any experience with this issue, so I may come off as naive. If I were in your position, however, I'd notify the boyfriend as soon as possible. Let him hear the news from you. Tell him the results of the alleged investigation and tell him how much you love him and how much he means to you. Then, ask him what he thinks of it. If he loves you unconditionally, he should be willing to overcome backlash from both of your families and weather storms with you by his side. Unconditional love is hard to find though, so you should prepare yourself for another outcome, which may be that it does matter to him and he doesn't want himself or his family to be "shamed".

I'm very much against the Osu caste system and I'm always shocked to hear stories of it still occurring. It's 2013. Whatever the outcome is, you should be confident in who you are and remind yourself that ancient traditions do not dictate who you are nor make you a lesser human being. Good luck.[/size]

Perfect, girl. Perfect!
Especially the aspect of her not allowing it bring her self worth down if things end up not working out.

@Poster
It is left for you and your love to decide how far the love you have can run.
I read the story of a royalty and his princess wife who is a commoner and how both of them had to wait for some thirty something years to get married to each other because of issues surrounding the position of the man in the royal family. Whatever happens in your case always remember that it is God's report about (you and who you are) that you should believe and not the report of others who think less of you. I wish you luck there.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Nobody: 5:12am On Mar 12, 2013
In Nigeria, marriage is not only between you and the man, it is a union of your family with the other family. There are going to be challenges but the ultimate decision is yours but don't be naive consider the consequences of your decision and be ready to bear the responsibilities. Wish you all the best.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Nobody: 5:16am On Mar 12, 2013
Trojavirus: In Nigeria, marriage is not only between you and the man, it is a union of your family with the other family. There are going to be challenges but the ultimate decision is yours but don't be naive consider the consequences of your decision and be ready to bear the responsibilities. Wish you all the best.

What the heck could possibly go wrong?!!
At the end of the day 2 BLACK people are coming together to get married. That is all you are, BLACK.
All these unecccessary complexities and pointless beefing is for who?

What is my business if people who died years ago decided to beef and be unforgiving or whatever the freaking story is.
It would have nothing to do with me. If any inlaw wishes to excuse themselves from the wedding, they are phucking free to do so undecided

I will simply take mental note and be sure not to let such mongrels into my house after the wedding angry
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Winneygirl(f): 6:12am On Mar 12, 2013
@Op, pls proceed with caution.
I don't knw wat dis 'Osu' means, but since everyone doesnt want 2 talk abt it, be careful.

There must be something fearful abt it.
Go on Ur knees. Let God tell U if d man U are with is Ur husband.
Unless U get a clear vision of how to proceed, pls be mindful of d steps U take.

Beg Ur Mum 2 tell U abt dis thing. Try 2safeguard Ur future. Do not proceed without proper knowledge of d implications of such union. Ignorance is no excuse if U face challenges in d future.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by boron10(m): 6:35am On Mar 12, 2013
Created a topic on Osu caste some months back.
https://www.nairaland.com/965057/anything-wrong-marrying-osu-outcast
Lady, I know it will be a very difficult decision to make, but I'll suggest you start searching for another dude. Igbo men won't allow the union however hard you try to make it work out.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by oboy3(m): 7:01am On Mar 12, 2013
Sorry it happens in your part of Igboland,but the Igboland am from,such things dont Exist
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by fubbyy(m): 7:32am On Mar 12, 2013
madone: I don't want to believe that this nollywood popular movie story is exist wat non sense.let the parent go back to the 60s where they belong
it still exist, so annoying

Poster if the guy is from anambra just forget about the marriage because its not going to work, Am from anambra and I know what am talking about

This osu thing is the reason my elder brother didn't marry a girl he cherished, my village has tried all they could to abolish this nonsense but to no avail

1 Like

Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Oahray: 7:40am On Mar 12, 2013
Osu caste still exists? shocked

Na wa for human beings o.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by oboy3(m): 7:59am On Mar 12, 2013
fubbyy: it still exist, so annoying

Poster if the guy is from anambra just forget about the marriage because its not going to work, Am from anambra and I know what am talking about

This osu thing is the reason my elder brother didn't marry a girl he cherished, my village has tried all they could to abolish this nonsense but to no avail
dont generize,I have never heard about such in Anambra atleast not in My Idemili
am not Even sure you are from Anambra

1 Like

Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Biim: 8:23am On Mar 12, 2013
Op you have to let go of the guy. The osu thing is a serious issue in some parts of igboland. Your man's family will not support the marriage. I have seen cases where some people insisted on marrying their love who are Osu,it all depends on your man.
Personally,I wouldn't want to marry an osu because the caste thing is taken serious where I come from.

1 Like

Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Oahray: 8:28am On Mar 12, 2013
o'boy:
dont generize,I have never heard about such in Anambra atleast not in My Idemili
yeah right! So because he chose to say the truth, you have cast him out from Anambra abi?
The op mentioned a real situation and someone else confirmed it's existence. I'm not igbo, but I really wanna get to know about this osu thing and I find this thread interesting. Why are you trolling in an attempt to disparage their claims?

If you have never heard of it, so? The fact that the deaf do not hear the sound of laughter does not make it nonexistent.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Biim: 8:36am On Mar 12, 2013
o'boy:
You have never heard of 'osu' in Anambra? Idemili people still discriminate against osus, do a background check on it. Some people that are Osu may not know they are one until some activities (like marriage and chieftaincy titles) are about to take place.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by boron10(m): 8:47am On Mar 12, 2013
o'boy:
You will hear it the day your brother brings home an OSU
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by amygreat24(f): 8:49am On Mar 12, 2013
He is a grand son of a king dat makes d matter even worse! No king who is nt an osu will allow osu in his family! Dis osu tin is a serious issue in igbo land!Take it to God in prayers cos my dear he is d only one dat can decide what's gonna happen sad
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by amygreat24(f): 8:51am On Mar 12, 2013
Exactly
boron10:
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Oahray: 8:54am On Mar 12, 2013
amygreat24: He is a grand son of a king dat makes d matter even worse! No king who is nt an osu will allow osu in his family! Dis osu tin is a serious issue in igbo land!Take it to God in prayers cos my dear he is d only one dat can decide what's gonna happen sad
True. Still, one thing I wonder, these peeps active in the anti-osu business, shey none of dem dey go church? lipsrsealed If they do, how do they manage to reconcile some shocking aspects of tradition with their religion?
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by edogram1(m): 9:09am On Mar 12, 2013
Osu are people, who are sacrifle to gods, humna sacrifice to apiss the gods from anger or something.

Most they are kidnap people from other land and secrifce to idol. Just like how poeple secrifice goat, chicken to river.

The became sacride to touch or play with and they belong to the gods, they serve and work for the gods all through thier life. But at a time they grow if population.

So when you marry from an osu is an abomination of then days as the gods have a tiles in the family and things dont work well as i have heard. Its like marrying want belong to gods as sacride. Marrying a gods children with dont tilly with other earthics group. That stigma is still very active and will be very deficult to defeat
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by oboy3(m): 9:11am On Mar 12, 2013
Oahray: yeah right! So because he chose to say the truth, you have cast him out from Anambra abi?
The op mentioned a real situation and someone else confirmed it's existence. I'm not igbo, but I really wanna get to know about this osu thing and I find this thread interesting. Why are you trolling in an attempt to disparage their claims?

If you have never heard of it, so? The fact that the deaf do not hear the sound of laughter does not make it nonexistent.
believe whatever you want,but fact remains,i have never heard about Osu where am from
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by oboy3(m): 9:12am On Mar 12, 2013
Biim:
You have never heard of 'osu' in Anambra? Idemili people still discriminate against osus, do a background check on it. Some people that are Osu may not know they are one until some activities (like marriage and chieftaincy titles) are about to take place.
do you even know where Idemili is located?
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Ucheosefoh(m): 9:15am On Mar 12, 2013
o'boy:
U are right I am 4rm Idemili too I have never heard of Osu case b4 in Idemili
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by oboy3(m): 9:18am On Mar 12, 2013
boron10:
stop talking what you know nothing About,the only thing my people will ask is if you love Each other and they will try to Know their Background,nobody rejects anybody where am from,get it to your head
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by oboy3(m): 9:20am On Mar 12, 2013
Ucheosefoh: U are right I am 4rm Idemili too I have never heard of Osu case b4 in Idemili
nwanne m,see me See Motorcycle o
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Biim: 9:21am On Mar 12, 2013
o'boy:
do you even know where Idemili is located?
Yes I do,just ask the elders in your place about it,your village may have abolished it doesn't mean all the villages in idemili have.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by oboy3(m): 9:26am On Mar 12, 2013
Biim:
Yes I do,just ask the elders in your place about it,your village may have abolished it doesn't mean all the villages in idemili have.
am not saying it never Existed,just the other guy generizing the whole Osu stuff to all Igboland till now
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Biim: 9:29am On Mar 12, 2013
amygreat24: He is a grand son of a king dat makes d matter even worse! No king who is nt an osu will allow osu in his family! Dis osu tin is a serious issue in igbo land!Take it to God in prayers cos my dear he is d only one dat can decide what's gonna happen sad
The king of my mother's village abolished the osu thing from their village some years ago, after sometime, a man came to marry one of the king's daughters and it turned out that the man is osu. You know what the king said? He said "that I abolished it does not mean that it will start with my family"
That was how the marriage plans ended sad with God nothing is impossible shaa.

2 Likes

Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by fubbyy(m): 9:32am On Mar 12, 2013
o'boy:
that means you don't know anything about your home town, you should be ashamed, idemili knows it more than okija my home town, go to your village and ask questions that's if you are not an outcast

(1) (2) (Reply)

Picture Of A Guy Proofing His Love With Huge Flower / Which Celebrity Would You Like To Date? / Woman Rushed To Hospital After Suffering Painful THREE-HOUR Orgasm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.