Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,300 members, 7,836,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe - Literature (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe (37486 Views)

Exploring Connection Between Plato’s Allegory Of The Cave And The Truman Show / African Magic By Sammy Hoe: 'WATCH' MOVIES HERE / Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Mcmooney(m): 5:53pm On Sep 28, 2013
Sammy wetin dey happen nau do sumtin b4 sumtin happen o
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by gameboy727(m): 7:06pm On Sep 28, 2013
Present. Ah be late comer.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 28, 2013
No vex for me o!
To be candid, are the grammars I'm using in this story too big and incomprehensible? My ppl e no easy o. Dem dey complain badly about my grammars when I entered the short story competition I told you about. Pls if my grammars are too bad, poor or too hard let me know so that I can adjust o. Thank you all.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 9:42pm On Sep 28, 2013
story update...

“She’s cheap indeed! I found her bangle!” Idea uttered gladly. He was attempting to get the three brothers into talk, but since they wouldn’t want Hope to know that they were the same people who advised Idle to betray him, they left hurriedly. However, Wishy-washy dropped a note in Idle’s palm which he had scribbled on, Daydream having left his autograph beneath the last paragraph and had stamped a seal on it which was made from the congealed form of the fragrant Cream of Dream.
Excitedly, Idle read aloud and Hope heard him, but didn’t know he was reading it:
“I wish to go to her again as a man today and eat mango with her, then she will tango with me tomorrow. I wish to twine my arms around her neck today, then she will drink wine with me tomorrow. I wish to show her the golden bangle she loves today and wait for her to get entangled in my love tomorrow. I wish to tell her to forget Hope today, then she’ll never forget my good idea tomorrow. I wish to be with her to impregnate her today, then she’ll be the one to beg me not to terminate it, but to stay with her forever tomorrow. If only I could betray Hope and hook up with her today, then she will make Hope to swallow the hook and trade his corpse in a tray tomorrow. If only I could imagine her by my side today, then she’ll put her image by my side tomorrow.”
As Idea saw the signature of Daydream, he began to daydream the content of the letter:
Idea strolled to the beach with Seekbeauty (the beach abutting the Woods of Woo). They stood opposite each other as Seekbeauty drew a line she called the ‘Line of Love’ on the soft sand with her bare hand. Then she said with a frown, “Idea, I dare you to cross this line to my side. With pleasure, Idea took up the challenge and walked over the line to her side. Then they chuckled frenetically. Again, the two stood on either side of the Line of Love and pulled each other. They tugged and tugged like two tough thugs and left their pugs in the sands as they left the tug to fill their mugs with wine, nudging each other as they blinked their eyes and clinked their mugs to drink to a toast at the brink of a coast. Then Idea said, “I love you” and Seekbeauty responded, “Do you really love me, Idle?”
“I do,” Idle said.
“But you don’t have a ring of love to prove your point.”
Idle smiled and said, “A ring will only protect a finger but I have something larger.”
“What?” she asked in amazement as she gawped into his eyes.
“A bangle! It protects the whole hand instead, keeping your wrist away from risks.” Excitedly, Seekbeauty snatched the bangle and said, “It’s mine! You stole it from me—” She frowned and then smiled. “Just the way you stole my heart from me.”
She allowed him to push the bangle into her arm and got tangled in his arm lovingly. She placed the caricature of Idea beside him and dashed away frantically. Idle chased idly after her playfully until they had reached a patchy sward, which was the bank of a river. They were astounded when the river went dry and thousands of souls crossed over to the sward on dry ground, having caparisoned donkeys beneath their buttocks.
“We are the Islanders,” they said. “We are here to seek the beauty of a girl whom we know to be here. She’s tall and elegant, wearing always a cheerful face. She has on her head a braided hair hiding her wavy ears beneath. Her nose is long on her pretty face, standing betwixt her dimpled cheeks. Her lips are red and her irises pink; her eyeballs wink as her face she blinks. Her legs firmly like peacock stand, and when she walks she minces go. Her name, they say, is Seekbeauty, the most beautiful on the planet earth.”
“I am the one you seek,” Seekbeauty replied as she paraded her beauty before them and they reached for her at once, pulling her up a donkey. She stretched forth her hand to pull Idea up, who sat gladly behind her.
“He’s my best man!” she said, to calm the nerves of the looking ones.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Karevwite: 9:52pm On Sep 28, 2013
Sammy Hoe: No vex for me o!
To be candid, are the grammars I'm using in this story too big and incomprehensible? My ppl e no easy o. Dem dey complain badly about my grammars when I entered the short story competition I told you about. Pls if my grammars are too bad, poor or too hard let me know so that I can adjust o. Thank you all.
as 4 me o...bad gramma naiye...poor gramma naiye...hard naiye also...bt it mite seem a little hard 4 sum ppl...maib dse dt dnt really read novels n ve nt seen any hard wrd dt requires checkin a dico...bro ur write up is mre dan ok...and anoda tn i luv abt it is d wai u rhyme dse wrds n dse quote...u doin a gr8 job man...thumbs up
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 29, 2013
Karev_wite: as 4 me o...bad gramma naiye...poor gramma naiye...hard naiye also...bt it mite seem a little hard 4 sum ppl...maib dse dt dnt really read novels n ve nt seen any hard wrd dt requires checkin a dico...bro ur write up is mre dan ok...and anoda tn i luv abt it is d wai u rhyme dse wrds n dse quote...u doin a gr8 job man...thumbs up
Thanks Karev...maybe they don't know the primary reason for reading novels. Isn't it to develop vocabularies?
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Karevwite: 11:32am On Sep 29, 2013
Sammy Hoe:
Thanks Karev...maybe they don't know the primary reason for reading novels. Isn't it to develop vocabularies?
dude no mind dm totali
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by helensharpay(f): 7:27pm On Sep 29, 2013
Sammy Hoe: Good day every one: Karev_white, Damex33, Michaellegend, Gameboy727, Kenchukscole, Kentochi, Helensharpay, T ice, Izukwu, Joble, Joseff14, etc. If you hear your name say 'Present'.
present
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by sambroose(m): 9:30pm On Sep 29, 2013
On a long journey to the land of the spirit, branches in Sammy hoe's thread, wow the guy is doing a good job o, maybe I should take me along sef so he'll keep writing along wit me.......nice one bro

1 Like

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 11:25pm On Sep 29, 2013
sambroose: On a long journey to the land of the spirit, branches in Sammy hoe's thread, wow the guy is doing a good job o, maybe I should take me along sef so he'll keep writing along wit me.......nice one bro
no need to follow u now. at least you can always log on to ur naira land account in d spirit land and read on. Abi MTN network no dey d spirit land ni? grin

But you also write stories nah. I saw d one u wrote in d short story competition thread--it's very nice. keep up d ink wink
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Michaellegend(m): 5:58pm On Sep 30, 2013
whatsup house?
Sammy hoe where u dey nah??
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 30, 2013
Michaellegend: whatsup house?
Sammy hoe where u dey nah??
No vex for me jare. It is d evil synergic efforts of NEPA and service providers o. Airtel no wan gree browse, NEPA no wan gree bring light. Now I'm happy to be back online for October, independent.

Now take this update...
GBAM!!!
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 9:43pm On Sep 30, 2013
Story Continuation...

Hope remained antsy in the study, contemplating on the choice to make—either to tell Idea how disappointed in him he was or to keep silent and pretend as though aware of nothing. He had heard vividly Idea’s speeches but didn’t know he was reading them. He had even perceived Idea’s silent moment as the moment of his daydream. Hope hurried to his seat when he heard Idea’s footsteps approaching the study. He pretended to be dozing and began to make ‘crocodile snores’. Idea screamed “Hope!” and banged the table on whose face Hope had placed his face. He banged more times before Hope thumped up.
“What is wrong with you Hope? I’ve been banging for an hour now,” exaggerated Idea.
“I’m sorry,” said Hope as he cleared the spittle he’d intentionally drooled. “I slept off!”
“It was my fault Hope that you slept heavily like this. I shouldn’t have gotten angry with you that way, since it was nobody’s fault that Seekbeauty refused our advances. She’s too wide-mouthed and I’m beginning to suggest you do away with her. She’s too greedy—demanding too much.”
“But I love her and I don’t think I’ll let go of her,” Hope raised his voice.
“It’s better you let go of her, Hope. You can never satisfy her. At first sight she demanded a handful, anybody’s handful, later her own handful. If you persist, she’ll make you a fool by demanding a pocketful, bagful, cartful, roomful, houseful and perhaps—”
“Townful?” Hope barged in.
“You get it right,” Idea smirked and Hope added, “I’d be thankful if she’d ask for a townful.”
“What!” Idea was puzzled. He glanced at Hope, whose face was beaming with smiles. Hope wanted to speak but was not speaking. Idea was left with dilating eyes as he waited for Hope to speak. Eventually Hope ended the suspense when he said, “Seekbeauty will seek me herself in few weeks. I won’t pester her anymore. Don’t glance at me as if I’m a jester, but see me as a star that westers to solve the fault of a town that festers.”
“How? Are you now thinking of the island again?”
“Something like that,” Hope answered. “The secret lies in this magazine—the Megalowealth Way!” As his smiley mouth paved way for the ‘way’ in his last phrase, the door paved way for three unsmiling guests, this time not the sons of Mr. Liar, but those they’d never known except for the female one among them, whose property they’d stolen two days back. She seemed to have led the other two there who had come to arrest the boys, being cops. Idea was the first to recognise the woman. However, he pretended as though knowing nothing as he joined Hope to ask, “What have we done?”
“You shall know your offence when you get behind the fence of the Cell of Hell,” said the cops.
“The Cell of Hell?” They wept sore as the cops led them away with force.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 9:53pm On Sep 30, 2013
Get independence day update dedicated to you by being among the first three persons to post Independent message on this thread. I'll try my best to post three chapters tomorrow so that you can enjoy, enjoy and enjoy. Happy Independence in advance. grin cheesy wink
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 10:05pm On Sep 30, 2013
I would have supplied my own 'present' but there s no damex333 in ur register.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 10:32pm On Sep 30, 2013
Damex333: I would have supplied my own 'present' but there s no damex333 in ur register.
Did u check well? Go check again nah! How's things?
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 11:22pm On Sep 30, 2013
Sammy Hoe:
Did u check well? Go check again nah! How's things?
i checked well but i saw damex33 not damex333 wink
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 11:38pm On Sep 30, 2013
Damex333: i checked well but i saw damex33 not damex333 wink
U didn't check lately...I've modified d thing sharp sharp. by d way, what is d difference btw 33 and 333 sef?
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 8:08am On Oct 01, 2013
HAPPY INDEPENDENT DAY

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
HOPE AND IDEA IN JAIL

“How did she come about the idea that we’re responsible for her stolen things?” Hope soliloquised on and on, but Idea kept replying “No idea!”
They slept over in the cell, having no visitors other than mosquitoes at night. They screamed and the prisoners in other cells cursed them aloud for disturbing their sleeps. Hope couldn’t fathom out how people could sleep and snore in such grubby cells where selfish mosquitoes had infested. Idea had said, “They grow to get used to that.” Idea shared the experiences he’d had in cells—when he raped Vice and when he stole neighbours’ things for Virtue who’d refused the gifts. “Dad was quick to settle Vice without the court of Justice, else my stay in the cell could have been prolonged those days…”
“But—I’m still very much surprised at your prowess—I mean it’s amazing how you could overpower Vice during the deed.”
Idea chuckled fleetingly and replied, “You’re right Hope. Vice posed no resistance at all then, meaning that she wanted it herself, having calculated the aftermath with her poor maths to settle for the thought that she would become rich after I’d raped her, basing her calculation on the money she would receive from my dad.”
“So…at other times in cell…”
“I freed myself before dad could know of it.”
Hope was interested in Idea’s stunning bravery, since all he craved was freedom. “How?”
“You’ll soon know how I freed myself those days,” Idea spoke and didn’t speak again, keeping up the hope of Hope who kept watching him secretly, hoping to see him produce a master key. However, nothing of such nature happened. Days rolled by, but they remained imprisoned. Hope had been wondering why a certain warder had singled them out to kick their backs daily with his hard rubber boots. Therefore he asked Idea, “Why does that cop keep kicking our backs every day after barking at us? I’ve not seen him do these to other criminals. Is our offence the greatest here?” Hope was expecting a ‘no idea’ from Idea, but was shocked when Idea laughed and replied, “Not really. Remember we arrived five days ago. I know him quite well—he only kicks the backs of new prisoners like you and me for seven days after which he gets tired and leaves them alone.”
“Do you mean we shall now remain to be kicked two more times, today and tomorrow?”
“Trust me, I won’t let that happen,” Idea assured.
“Will you now fight with him? You’d better not; else we’d be remaining here forever.”
Idea chuckled hastily and said, “I won’t even fight him at all, but trust me, I won’t allow him to kick our backs one more time. I’ll rather kick him back for all the kicks we’ve received.”
“Don’t!” Hope screamed, but then, the selfsame warder was at the gate of the cell, opening it. As usual, he approached Hope and went behind him in preparation to kick his back again, but Idea made a swoop towards him and intercepted his kick with his own kick. Hope was horrified, opening his mouth wide in disbelief adulterated with fear. He felt the earth beneath him let loose for tribulation to take over. He received yet another shock of his life when the warder smiled, winked and left the cell.
“Unbelievable!” Hope screamed.
“Believe it or not, it’s happening. Tonight, you won’t find me here, but you’ll remain.”
“How come? Will you disappear magically or the warder will take you to another cell meant for hardened criminals for this extra crime you’ve just committed? Or you’ll be executed tonight for kicking back at that kicker who keeps kicking our backs?”
“Wait and see!” Idea replied and ignored Hope.
Night came and Hope fell asleep. He had gotten used to the singsongs of the fat mosquitoes. He even garnished his sleep with snores, perhaps having nightmares. At the faint sound of the door of the cell, Idea rose up. He went close to the gate, which had been opened by the ‘kicking warder’. In a flash, they’d left the cell together to a dark corner.
“So—you replied my kicks, meaning that you understand me quite well,” said the warder hurriedly, looking here and there. Idea replied, “Yes, Mr. Kickbacks, I do understand.”
‘So—?” Mr. Kickbacks stretched his hand to Idea as though he would receive something, but the boy said, “Be patient Mr. Kickbacks. If I’m not ready to settle you with kickbacks, why then do you think I kicked you back?”
The man smiled and said, “Be fast about it, boy. Be fast!”
“I have no money here, mister, but I’m assuring you that I’ll get back to you.”
“How?”
“I’ll get out of here to steal the money for you,” Idea confessed.
“You’ll steal again?” Mr. Kickbacks spoke. “Anyway, it’s not my business if you steal to get the bribe. All I want to know is when you’ll get back at me to give me the kickback?”
“Tomorrow night of course! Have you forgotten I’ve gotten my cousin left in the cell?”
Mr. Kickbacks grinned and said, “Go! Make sure you return with something tangible.” As an afterthought, Idea turned back and came to the man who asked, “What again?”
“How did she know we’re the one who stole her things?”
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Michaellegend(m): 1:40pm On Oct 01, 2013
Happy independence and new month house, may dis month be a more prosperous month for us all...
Sammy hoe i dey feel u, ride on i dey ur back.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 1:47pm On Oct 01, 2013
Michaellegend: Happy independence and new month house, may dis month be a more prosperous month for us all...
Sammy hoe i dey feel u, ride on i dey ur back.
bro you wicked o, you sat down on his back and you are telling him to ride o chai i fear you o. Make i wish my fellow Nigerians HAPPY NEW MONTH AND HAPPY INDEPENDENCE.
Sammy, is there a different between HER and HERE ?
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Michaellegend(m): 3:05pm On Oct 01, 2013
Damex333: bro you wicked o, you sat down on his back and you are telling him to ride o chai i fear you o. Make i wish my fellow Nigerians HAPPY NEW MONTH AND HAPPY INDEPENDENCE.
Sammy, is there a different between HER and HERE ?
bro no b so, i dey ur back means am behind him.
How u dey nah
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 01, 2013
Michaellegend: .
bro no b so, i dey ur back means am behind him.
How u dey nah
ehn ehn so na so e dey go? I dey fine o, u nko
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Michaellegend(m): 3:21pm On Oct 01, 2013
Damex333: ehn ehn so na so e dey go? I dey fine o, u nko
I dey on a low key
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 01, 2013
Michaellegend:
I dey on a low key
where sammy go na.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 5:42pm On Oct 01, 2013
I DEY O. AS AIRTEL NO WAN GREE BROWSE TODAY WETIN MAN GO DO? ANYWAY I GO TRY ALL MA BEST POST SMTHNG TODAY. DAMEX D DIFRENC BTW HER AND HERE IS E WHILE D DIFF. BTW 33 AND 333 IS 300. MICHAELLEGEND DON'T MIND DAMEX JARE. I GO HELP U FIND IM TROBL WELA
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 01, 2013
Sammy Hoe: I DEY O. AS AIRTEL NO WAN GREE BROWSE TODAY WETIN MAN GO DO? ANYWAY I GO TRY ALL MA BEST POST SMTHNG TODAY. DAMEX D DIFRENC BTW HER AND HERE IS E WHILE D DIFF. BTW 33 AND 333 IS 300. MICHAELLEGEND DON'T MIND DAMEX JARE. I GO HELP U FIND IM TROBL WELA
so is here and her not a different word entirely? So is 333 and 33
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Michaellegend(m): 6:49pm On Oct 01, 2013
Damex333: so is here and her not a different word entirely? So is 333 and 33
According to my boss d diff btw 33 and 333 is 300 while d diff btw her and here is ''e''...
''her'' is used to qualify a female while ''here'' is used as a location.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 7:17pm On Oct 01, 2013
Since here is different from her, so is damex333 different from damex33
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 02, 2013
Damex333: Since here is different from her, so is damex333 different from damex33
So what is the difference between OAU and Obafemi Awolowo University, NEPA and National Electric Power Authority? So, to me Damex33 is the abbreviation of Damex333 grin
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 02, 2013
Sammy Hoe: .
So what is the difference between OAU and Obafemi Awolowo University, NEPA and National Electric Power Authority? So, to me Damex33 is the abbreviation of Damex333 grin
see you. To you abi? Make i no argue again.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 02, 2013
Story continuation...

Dedicated to Michaellegend

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
IDEA’S DEEDS OF OUT OF JAIL

Idea returned to the Flirts’ flats that night and lay on his bed. As usual, the three friends sneaked in again, using their keys to open the doors Idea had shut. After speaking to him, they made him daydream at night, having had an all-nighter with him.
Idea rose early, heeding the advice of his friends.
“An early riser catches the bird,” he hummed the words his friends had brought to his remembrance the night before. Idea wore his best attire, set his hair as he made ready for the flat of Seekbeauty with optimism. She wasn’t up yet. Idea had kept Seekbeauty’s bangle safe in a brown leather purse which he had spent much time polishing earlier. On the door of Seekbeauty landed Idea’s rattling bangs. He heard something battling with the door at that instance. It was a rat, perhaps running for its life at the rattling sound it had heard. It had just scurried out of the room through the little space beneath the door.
“Customer?” Seekbeauty’s voice followed. She had cried from within. “Wait a second, please!”
Idea wouldn’t pause. He knocked on as though he’d not heard her instruction, but she kept responding, “Please wait!” Idea was eager. He was losing patience behind the door. When the bedraggled rat dragged itself in again, Idea became envious. He wished he could sublime into a rat or a cockroach, or even an ant so he could gain entrance. He had forgotten how he had wished to become a giant earlier, so that he could become the champion in the Castration castle where Bondage and Captivity dominated.
“Please wait a second, my early customer. I have set my hair. My eyelids I’ve tinctured up as well, and my earrings, nose rings and finger rings are all fixed in their places. I have my necklaces decking my neck already and my golden tooth in place. I’ve bedizened my skin with creams and costly pearls of beauty and my fingernails have I adorned already. My left wrist isn’t left without the coverings of bangles, but only my right wrist is now at risk and not put right till now, lacking a bangle—the most golden of them all. It is as precious as my heart. My golden bangle! My bobby-dazzler!”
The knock persisted but Seekbeauty insisted on leaving it locked until her bangle she had found. She had remained behind the door for five days, yet she was not bedridden. She had remained there singing the same excuses into the ears of her customers. Mr. Infidelity had been here, as well as Father Adultery, but she had not let them in. Mr. Nonsense had knocked and knocked until his knuckles had snapped, but Seekbeauty had taken no heed.
“I’ll take no heed to your bangs without my bangle, my bobby-dazzler. Dear knocker, I care for no pleasure today if my treasure, my dear golden bangle I wouldn’t find! Therefore give me time, time—give me time to seek it, then I shall let you in when I’ve found it.” She sobbed as she sought it carefully with tears. Suddenly, the door went apart and Seekbeauty’s lips went apart for a shriek!
“What the hell! What d’you want here?” the sight of Idea had raised her hackles.
Idea made no speech, but only beamed a smile and held her right hand, in whose palm he tucked the bangle in haste as he said, “I found your golden bangle!” She was alarmed! Her lips shook but no word came forth. However, Idea lip-read her red lips and made out what she was saying: Unbelievable!
Before she could gather her composure again, Idea had walked away. Seekbeauty rushed after him as she held her golden bangle close to her chest as though she wouldn’t let it go for a million talent of silver. She sighted Idea at the gate of the Flirts in readiness to exit. She screamed, “Idleness, come back!” She waved and never stopped waving to call him back.
In the dead of the night, Hope woke and was shocked, seeing no Idea beside him. He gave a yell as though hell had been let loose, but Mr. Kickbacks was quick to end his quivers, having rushed in just on time.
“Keep shut!” the warder reprimanded and then demanded, “What has gone wrong with you?”
“Where have you taken my cousin to? Why can’t you forgive him for kicking you back? Have you gone to execute him or you’ve taken him to another cell worse than this? Perhaps you’ve kicked his back to death and you’ve come to kick my back too—to death. Please tell me, WHERE IS IDEA?” Hope screamed. The man approached him and he feared a kick. Contrary to Hope’s insinuation, the man lowered himself and lowered his voice as he glowered and said, “Keep shut, young boy! We don’t speak with mouths here.”
“I—I can’t understand.”
“Pay attention. Life is an allegory, so are you and me and everything with life in it.” The man held his breath and suddenly released a draught on Hope’s face. “Kicking your back is merely a means of passing out my information. I’m Mr. Kickbacks. I want kickbacks, bribes, so I kick backs to communicate this. But if there’s no response in seven days I stop kicking and leave you alone. I’m glad your cousin understood and responded well yesterday.”
“So he paid for himself alone?”
“He hasn’t paid a penny,” replied Mr. Kickbacks.
“But why did you say he responded well?”
“He did respond well. He’ll get back to me tomorrow night to give me the kickback, after then will I release you. Here, Mr. Kickbacks—a friend of prisoners,” the man introduced himself to Hope again and offered him a hand. Hope held it quick and replied, “I’m Hope.”
Hope was glad beyond measure, but a fleeting kind, being terminated by the thought of Idea having no means of meeting the demand of Mr. Kickbacks, because they were presently cashless. Before the man had completed his U-turn, Hope had asked, “Mr. Kickbacks sir, Idea has no cash. Or did he tell you how he’d get the kickback?” The man made a grin and chuckled after. “What got you here, stealing I believe? So, he’s sure going to do that again to get you out. So…goodbye!”
“One more question, please sir. How did that lady know we were the one who robbed her?”
“If you’ll pay for it I’ll tell you, but if otherwise, don’t bother to bother me. Anyway, you can ask your cousin later. I’ve told him.”
At the time appointed, Idea returned with the kickback and Mr. Kickbacks allowed him get away with Hope. None of the cops had the least idea that Mr. Kickbacks could be answerable to the boys’ escape, since they’d seen him kicking them cruelly before, forcing them to settle down for the wrong notion that he hated them.
That night, Hope asked no question due to his weariness. Hardly had they reached the flat when he fell flat and sprawled on the unswept floor of the parlour and passed into unconsciousness, sleeping like a baby. His snores constituted great disturbance to the three sons of Mr. Liar who had come to share the bed of Idleness with him.
“Idea, aren’t you hearing Hope’s disturbing noise?” Evil Thought spoke with indignation. Idea nodded and the former spoke further, “Won’t you stock his nostrils with pieces of thick paper?” Idea smiled at the idea of Evil Thought as he rushed to the living room to do the deed. He watched and had pleasure in the drastic alteration in Hope’s snores after he had squeezed them in his nostrils and mouth. He laughed.
Back on Idea’s bed, Evil Thought demanded to hear a report concerning his rapport with Seekbeauty and Idea made the widest grin of his life. “After giving the bangle to her, I left her alone.”
“Why? Idea, why didn’t you speak a word to her? She’ll definitely not say no.” Evil Thought was angry.
“Listen. She called me back but I didn’t turn back. I pretended not to hear.”
“You did that?”
“Yes, but temporarily. I answered eventually. I spotted the sphere of love in her eyeballs. She wanted me badly. She asked me to demand anything.”
“Anything?” screamed the three. “And you demanded—”
“Nothing,” Idea intruded. In annoyance, the three friends jumped down his bed as they made to leave, then Wishy-Washy turned again and spoke, “How I wish you’d demanded a sleep of pleasure under her Blanket of the perishing. How I wish you had made use of that golden opportunity to satisfy your olden wish. How I wish—”
“But listen first,” Idea took over. “I need her to think of me with reverence. Just jumping on her bed at once makes me a cheap fellow before her. Let her think of me as a changed fellow and not as a rapist. Let her dream of me as a husband and not as a mere lover. Let her see me as her sweetheart and not as a playboy. I’ll have her by surprise instead.”
“Mmm!” they sighed as they sensed senses in his utterances.
“When I refused to ask anything she asked me to tarry as she dashed into her room again. She returned with a handful of cash, her handful, and said, here’s your cousins’ handful of coins and notes you brought last time. Take and give them back to him. I asked why Hope’s handful was now filling up her hand, then she smiled elegantly and caressed her beautiful blonde hair as she replied, I added extra. Take all back to him. As I turned to leave, she called me again and said, do come here anytime and—ask whatever you need.”
“Good!” they cheered him up as they clapped their hands. They soon began to take their leave, but after Idea had daydreamt that night.
At dawn, it dawned on Hope that he’d lain on the bare floor overnight. He yawned and yearned for more sleep, but when Idea came, he abandoned the urge and urged him to tell him how he got the cash they’d paid Mr. Kickbacks. Idea lied that he had raided traders to get their cash, but in the actual sense, he’d only used a portion of Seekbeauty’s restored cash for the settlement. Idea had kept the money away from Hope, telling him nothing about it.
“Something more. How did she know we stole her things? I asked Mr. Kickbacks, but he told me to ask you.”
“Hope, if you could remember, the only thing we sold that day was a wristwatch.”
“Yes, to Miss Love!” Hope replied with eagerness. “Did she give us out? If she did I’ll hate Love forever.”
“Be patient. Madam Meticulous whose goods we sold found her watch on Miss Love’s wrist and recognised it at once. She embarrassed her by forcing it off her wrist and harassed her, calling her a thief—so she was forced to confess how she got the watch.”
After Hope had had a thorough bath, he spent his time discussing painstakingly what would be at stake for them if the pain of taking a decision they would risk—the content of the magazine he had read. He told Idea how they could get rich in three weeks and use the riches so acquired to gain easy access to the Island of Greatness without the need for River Achievement or River Haste.
“It is called the Megalowealth Way,” Hope declared. “All we need is a fair sum of cash to travel through that route: a van called the Van of Vanity is said to be conveying us to our destination—the WONDER BANK!”
“How does it work?”
“It’s easy, the calculation. Every day, the amount you invest in the wonder bank doubles. If you begin with a thousand pounds, tomorrow it becomes two thousands, day after, four thousands—guess what? After three weeks, you’d be smiling home with billions. If you choose, you might reinvest according to the capacity of your might. Before long, you’ll be swimming in trillions to the Island of Greatness!”
Idea almost crashed against the wall with excitement. His joy knew no bound as he said, “Hope, I even have an idea. Let’s borrow as much as we could, from far and wide, promising to pay back double in three weeks. These money we borrow in sorrow shall we return in surplus to our creditors if only we could have them conveyed to the wonder bank.”
“Great!” Hope screamed and hit the tabletop with his cleansed clenched fist. “We’ll only need to pay back four pounds where we’ve borrowed two and keep a million pounds worth of gain. Also, where we’ve borrowed ten pounds we’ll return twenty and have tens of millions of pounds for gain. It’s amazing! Let’s get to the Megalowealth way immediately!”
The immeasurable capacity of Hope’s rapacity was getting Idea into doubt.
“Are you sure you are not carving out this idea by yourself?” Idea asked.
“Why would I? Here’s the magazine, peruse it yourself.”
“But I have told you before; I can’t read or write,” Idea lied to cover up one of the lies he’d told Hope in the past. In the actual sense, his dad had taught him how to read and write after his withdrawal from the Do-nothing School of Thought. “I have a question.”
“Ask it!”
“This so-called Wonder Bank, is it where monies are minted?”
“Not really.”
“How then will our monies get doubled daily?”
“Oh! I should have told you this: after transporting us to the Wonder Bank, they will convey us to the village nearby called the Ghetto of Expectation to tarry for three weeks while they use our monies to trade in the Forest of Foreigners where goods abound to trade with cash. The foreigners, the islanders, have the goods which they willingly trade for little cash. Then the goods so bought are brought to towns and cities close by to be sold at exorbitant prices daily. Such trade is called Forest Trading.”
“Forest trading?” Idea asked in doubt.
“Yes, it does exist,” Hope spoke in sincerity. “Mr. Experience and Mr. Preference have both testified to its existence. Such is where our monies go from the wonder bank.”
In doubt, Idea pestered reasonably, “Why can’t they just show us the way to the Forest of Foreigners so we could do the forest trading ourselves instead? I think this would be better, since it would save them the stress of wasting fund fuelling their van of vanity, which would pass through the Megalowealth way. What d’you think, Hope?”
“No inkling.”
Hope suddenly thumped up after a moment of pensiveness, flinging his pen with which he had scribbled down many digits earlier. He almost crashed his digits against Idea’s face as he raised a paper up, which was filled to the brim with numbers of large digits. “Idea, trust me it’ll work! In three weeks I shall be buying the Island of Greatness for Seekbeauty. Come on, Idea, you’ll enjoy this world with me.” He tucked his fingers into Idea’s left armpit and tickled him to get him excited, but the boy responded, “Don’t waste your time tickling. The nerves there had permanently died long years back while I was attending the Do-nothing.”
“Incredible!”
“Credibility dwells in incredibility, Hope, so forget it and just tell me who we shall meet to lead us the way to the Megalowealth way.”
“Mr. Cheat. We’ll visit him in the Duplicity School of Thought, his school, tomorrow. We’ll sit among his students to learn more of this way.”
“Okay, I’ll think it over today and feed you with feedback, not kickback, tomorrow,” Idea laid emphasis on the ‘kickback’ he had pronounced, waving his fingers amusingly. They laughed.
At night, Idea brainstormed with his friends who concurred with Hope’s will at once. However, Idea asked, “Should I tell Hope that she returned the cash?”
“Don’t do that! It’ll be foolish of you. Go about borrowing with Hope and add Seekbeauty’s cash to the borrowed one. Then convey everything to the wonder bank.”
Wishy-Washy stepped in. “How I wish you could purchase the Island of Greatness for Seekbeauty before Hope does. How I wish you could settle down with Seekbeauty before Hope does. How I wish you could have all the billions and trillions to yourself alone and leave Hope out. How I wish you could buy Happy-Go-Lucky with your money and cast Hope out. How I wish you could ensnare Hope before he snarls at you. How I wish you could imprison Hope before that imp reasons to do that to you. How I wish you could become king and make Seekbeauty your queen before Hope makes you a servant and makes Seekbeauty his queen...” At the caresses of Daydream, Idea began to daydream Wishy-Washy’s evil thought.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (26) (Reply)

Novel: Life Of A Celebrity Written By Onyeneke Abel / Scents Of Lust / The Charismatic Charlie Wade (novel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.