Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,096 members, 7,821,796 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away (7227 Views)

Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? / Pic: Yorubas Meet In Sweden To Deliberate The Break Away Of Odua States From Nig / Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by DRANOEL(m): 6:15pm On Mar 25, 2008
there are silent security reports making the rounds in abuja that there maybe a secession plan by the tivs of benue with their kith and kin in cameroun,there are talks of heavy arms build up and support of prominent tiv people. Already a prominent tiv leader has threatened to declare a tiv nation

Minister faults judgment over army's invasion of Zaki Biam
From Simeon Nwakaudu, Makurdi

FOLLOWING the N41.8 billion judgment debt obtained by the Benue Development Movement (BDM), over the 2001 Army invasion of Zaki Biam degenerates, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Michael Aondoakaa (SAN), has declared the judgment as being, "perverse" and 'incorrect."

Addressing a press conference in Makurdi on the issue yesterday at the Government House, Makurdi, Aondoakaa said that though he hailed from Benue State, he cannot advise the Federal Government to pay a judgment debt of N41.8 billion, which he claimed was obtained on a faulty background.

He said that the Federal Government had already appealed the judgment of the Federal High Court, Enugu awarding the said amount to the BDM's President, Alexander Gaadi. He noted that the government was ready to fight the case up to the Supreme Court and would only pay the judgment debt if the Supreme Court declares same to be proper.

He said: "Everybody has a responsibility to challenge a perverse judgment. The judgment in favour of BDM leader is perverse. Governor Suswam says it is perverse. I, as the nation's chief law officer says it is perverse and the Federal Government says it is perverse."

The Attorney General declared that Alexander Gaadi, the BDM's President sued the Federal Government in his personal capacity and not on behalf of the Tiv nation. He said should the Federal Government pay the judgment debt, Alexander Gaadi would enjoy the funds to the detriment of the actual victims of the invasion, since Gaadi is not an indigene of the area invaded by the soldiers.

He said that he found the judgment of the Enugu Federal High Court shocking, because the entire budget of the Ministry of Defence, which committed the offence for three years is not up to the money awarded to Gaadi by the court.

According to him: "The budget of the ministry of Defence is how much? That is a judgment debt for a crime alleged to have been committed by the Ministry of Defence. The whole budget for the ministry is how much? Then you ask one individual to cart away N42 billion. There is a problem. If the Supreme Court says that he is entitled to the money, then we pay. But we cannot just fold our arms and see somebody get away with such. It will not happen in this country".

He said that he has explained to the Tiv traditional ruler, the circumstances surrounding the judgment debt obtained by Gaadi, noting that allowing Gaadi to receive the money on behalf of the actual victims was tantamount to the Tiv nation selling their sovereignty to just one man.

Aondoakaa faulted the claims by the BDM President that he was worth N100 billion, which he allegedly lost during the 2001 Army invasion, which the Enugu Federal High Court based its judgment upon. He said that the public would like to know the amount of tax Gaadi has paid on his N100 billion wealth. He noted that it was only in Nigeria that someone would make such claims and still be walking around freely, without being imprisoned for false claims.

He warned Gaadi against taking the laws into his hands on the judgment debt issue, as he claimed in his recent press conference, noting that it was better for the society if Gaadi continued to pursue his grievances through the law courts.

He said that Gaadi should not import the problems of the Niger Delta to Benue State, for, according to him, the Niger Deltans were not benefiting from the crises in their region.

He called on the leaders of Tiv ethnic group to prevail on Gaadi not to declare a Tiv State as he has threatened to do, noting that nobody would be safe in Tivland if Gaadi went ahead to carry out his threats.

The Attorney General declared: "I will wait for him. The day he declares war, I shall have him arrested".

He said that the Federal Government was ready to dialogue with the Tiv people on the process of paying them compensation over the Army invasion of Zaki Biam. He said the process of compensation has already started with Benue State getting the post of the Senate President and two ministerial appointments, which he described as 'deliberate'.

Aondoakaa said the Tiv people should not allow Gaadi throw spanner into the well-designed package that the Federal Government has arranged for them over the Zaki Biam invasion.

Last week, Gaadi alleged that the AGF was blocking the payment of the N41.8 billion judgment debt awarded his group by the Federal High Court, Enugu. Gaadi in a press conference said that Aondoakaa has deliberately refused to advice the Federal Government to pay the debt, despite the Federal Government losing a stay of execution application on the suit.

Gaadi threatened to declare a Tiv State should the Federal Government continue along its line of action.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by 4Him(m): 9:25pm On Mar 25, 2008
Yeah, one more step to the welcome disintegration of the fraud called Nigeria.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Nobody: 10:42pm On Mar 25, 2008
Your choice of words is really funny. Nigeria was and is not a fraud, just my sentiments talking, don't ask me for an argument to prove my claims.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by 4Him(m): 10:45pm On Mar 25, 2008
stillwater:

Your choice of words is really funny. Nigeria was and is not a fraud, just my sentiments talking, don't ask me for an argument to prove my claims.

Maybe this will explain it better: Nigeria is a failed experiment.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Nobody: 10:51pm On Mar 25, 2008
Yeah maybe, (no need to paraphrase) but skepticism is not what we need now.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by 4Him(m): 11:23pm On Mar 25, 2008
What do you think we need? Especially as u're holed up in a faraway country with very little understanding of how frustrating things are in Nigeria.
I guess you have to study for exams with candles late into the night, trek a few miles to fetch water for a shower, cook with wood shavings and spend weeks with no drop of petrol in ur tank to truly understand that mere optimism does not a nation make.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Nobody: 11:56pm On Mar 25, 2008
Neither does exercising pessimism help make the nation better, or does it? Little understanding? Geez I did all the above you mentioned for your information, so I have a first hand knowledge of how frustrating things are. But did my skepticism change matters, no it did not. For a government to flourish there has to be a balance between faith and skepticism. Don't get me wrong Nigerians have every right to be critical of its foolish government, but enough of these whinings and get your hands busy as well.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by 4Him(m): 1:09am On Mar 26, 2008
stillwater:

Neither does exercising pessimism help make the nation better, or does it? Little understanding? Geez I did all the above you mentioned for your information, so I have a first hand knowledge of how frustrating things are. But did my skepticism change matters, no it did not. For a government to flourish there has to be a balance between faith and skepticism. Don't get me wrong Nigerians have every right to be critical of its foolish government, but enough of these whinings and get your hands busy as well.

busy doing what exactly?
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Nobody: 3:16am On Mar 26, 2008
as busy as the guy on the front page thread with 4 years experience in jobhunting.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Nobody: 4:09am On Mar 26, 2008
4Him:

busy doing what exactly?

I know a lot of people that didn't see it fit to go out and vote during the elections. Well I don't blame them but at least Nigerians should try and exercise their right. With such attitude we shouldn't complain when resident evils still maintain their positions as your leaders.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by 4Him(m): 4:46am On Mar 26, 2008
stillwater:

I know a lot of people that didn't see it fit to go out and vote during the elections. Well I don't blame them but at least Nigerians should try and exercise their right. With such attitude we shouldn't complain when resident evils still maintain their positions as your leaders.

exercise their right to what exactly? I'm sure you've been keeping abreast with the political climate in Nigeria, no less than 1/6th of the "elected" governors have just been deposed as having fraudulently forced themselves on the electorate.
It is not exactly the fault of the common man that fraud is a huge part of our politics . . .

Like someone said . . . democracy in Nigeria is the government of those people, for those people and by those people.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Kobojunkie: 5:54am On Mar 26, 2008
nwando:

as busy as the guy on the front page thread with 4 years experience in jobhunting.
LMAO!!!
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Nobody: 6:03am On Mar 26, 2008
4Him:

exercise their right to what exactly? I'm sure you've been keeping abreast with the political climate in Nigeria, no less than 1/6th of the "elected" governors have just been deposed as having fraudulently forced themselves on the electorate.
It is not exactly the fault of the common man that fraud is a huge part of our politics . . .

Like someone said . . . democracy in Nigeria is the government of those people, for those people and by those people.

Exercising your right to vote at least makes you a concerned citizen who wants to see changes. Yes the miscreants still win and impose themselves on the people, but do you think an individual who do not care to vote would pursue a cause in hunting politicians down who rigged elections? Or engage in protests to counter the government? I don't think so. Or should we continue paraphrasing the "definition of democracy"? now who is gripes a lot.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Germannig: 11:13am On Mar 26, 2008
The Tiv are plain stupid late risers (from the bad bed that Nigeria is). They formed the bulk of the Nigerian army that fought against Biafra when the latter sought to get out of Nigeria. It is ironical that the Tivs are now whinning. If they as much as dare attempt to secede, they will be crushed by the rest of Nigeria, much like tiny nuisance bugs are. They are too insignificant, especially as they have no economic resources (unlike the Niger Delta +Imo and Abia) or demographic power with which to threaten the rest of the country. Too late (40 years late) to cry, my good Tiv bros.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by DRANOEL(m): 7:48pm On Mar 26, 2008
@germannig

you are missing the big picture,it has nothing to do with resources or numbers but everything to do with bravery and zeal!

now picture the tivs fighting on one corner,the niger delta fighting on the other corner and the ibos fighting theirs on another corner! haba! even mighty nigeria cant stand it! interestingly these three blocs share boundaries. this might be the begining of the end for nigeria
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Nobody: 8:15pm On Mar 26, 2008
@Dranoel

No, the Igbos will first wait for the Tivs to be crushed by those Housa guys just like how they crush our bothers; next thing will be the birth of the much awaited baby B-----; the land of the rising sun, obodo oyibo in Africa, the refuge for the white and yellow men. grin grin wink
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by DRANOEL(m): 8:23pm On Mar 26, 2008
@nuzo
i seriously dont think that will happen considering the number of ex's in tiv land,besides the hausas have never ever defeated the tivs
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Nobody: 8:39pm On Mar 26, 2008
You think it going to be one of those village wars you fight within the communities and at the backyard?
It''s going to be another Nigerian civil war, only that this time its going to be the elimination of the entire TIVs and it will be easier as the little war wont last more than 2 weeks.

One thing i can promise you, is that Biafra will not support neither sides. grin
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by DRANOEL(m): 8:48pm On Mar 26, 2008
my guy,biafra was fought by cowards who couldnt sit down and plan well and actually the war was won by the tivs if you can recollect(or if you are a good student of history)

if isreal can take on the whole arab league then the brave ones can take nigeria.

whoever said anything about biafran support
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by 4Play(m): 8:51pm On Mar 26, 2008
Na wa for una,Nigeria dey disintegrate,una dey here dey celebrate. grin

One Nation!One Nigeria! grin grin
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by DRANOEL(m): 8:58pm On Mar 26, 2008
@4 play
wetin man go do?
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Nobody: 9:02pm On Mar 26, 2008
Oh--- when it concerns the Biafrans, it cowardice; but in the TIVs case, it's bravery. You even went ahead to compare them to Isreal? LOL. I think you are the one who really need to check out history from personal account of Biafrans not just something put together by OBJ and Danjuma.

Did the TIV fight Biafra alone? Did they fight as a TIV army or Nigerian army?

Just tell una oga Gaadi or whatever his name is to go ahead. Let him take his time and plan. We are waiting.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by BlackMamba(m): 9:25pm On Mar 26, 2008
Abeg, the Tivs should calm down about this secession talk. I don't want to pay tarriff to import bushmeat from Tivland.

On a serious note, who says if every state become independent the villages wont continue to fight each other for government positions, as is the case in every nook and corner of present Naija.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by tunrexdj(m): 3:38am On Mar 27, 2008
The tivs should grant us a collective favour by breaking away.i l want to believe that poverty and malnourishment would kill a large chunck of their population.fellow brethrens(TIVS) think about the federation allocation that has been sustaining you for years!
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Germannig: 11:47am On Mar 27, 2008
Does anyone remember any Tiv that is internationally known? I do not remember anyone. The Tivs are one of the most backward tribes in Nigeria. The Politics of Benue is dominated by the Idomas. If the Tivs were as strong as Dranoel makes out, how come a few military men razed Zaki Biam and, as we hear, even burnt the house of that mad dog soldier who was in Ecomog. They should secede already and not sit down and make loads of noise. Hunger and poverty will be their portion, because they are a bunch of Lazy folks. They have nothing to offer the rest of the country, except, like their big Hausa/Fulani cousins further north, a parasitic relationship. Tiv ko, thief ni. Gbe lo jare.  grin
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by DRANOEL(m): 12:15pm On Mar 27, 2008
@germannig

you have clearly shown how ignorant you are.

the politics of benue have been dominated by the idomas: and yet we have never had an idoma governor(all tiv),most ministers out of benue have been tiv,first senate president from the north was tiv(iorchia ayu),fisrt chief of army staff from benue tiv(infact they have had two),godfather of benue politics tiv,leader of the old united middle belt party tiv(js tarka),first civilian ministers from benue tiv, infact to be fair to you benue politics is not dominated by tivs but all about tivs as theres no other factor (ask david mark)

on the issue of zaki biam: pray it was soldiers from thye armoury/infantry division in yola with no less than five thousand men that attacked a tiny village unawares

hausa fulani cousins: again you are a bad student of history,it is actually the idomas that are cousins to the hausas(idomas are kwararafa tribes). the tivs on the other hand are actually immigrants from east/south africa via cameroun,thats why you find them in large numbers in cameroun.

germannig i have had course to argue with people like 4him who in my opinion knows his onions when he speaks on issues,you on the other hand has shown that you are more of a blabber than some one who speaks based on facts and your biggest goof being the assertion that benue politics is dominated by the idomas(even dogs in benue/taraba will laugh at this)
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Germannig: 12:54pm On Mar 27, 2008
Mention one TIV MAN that is recognised outside of Nigeria. Tiv= local champions. Who cares about Benue local politics, anyways? Do us a favour, pull out of Nigeria now; you and your poverty-striken lot. Are you pulling out with TIVS in Kogi, Plateau, Taraba or just Tiv in Benue? Yardua will skin your arse, boy. grin

Better people never secede na ''tifs'' go come secede?

The chickens of TIVS are coming home to roost. Zaki Biam will be a child's play compared to what will happen next.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by DRANOEL(m): 1:00pm On Mar 27, 2008
my guy argue like an intellect!

let me show you a piece from something you earlier posted;

Benue Women Are Offered To Visitors As ''kola''.
« on: February 21, 2008, 10:51 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is often believed that Benue women are offered to visitors as ''Kola''. Is this one helluva culture that might well explain why Benue has the highest HIV/AIDS incidence

clearly your ignorance knows no boundary
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Germannig: 1:05pm On Mar 27, 2008
Do us a favour, pull out of Nigeria now

There is no doubt that Benue has one of the highest HIV infection rates in Nigeria.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by DRANOEL(m): 2:00pm On Mar 27, 2008
@germannig
my friend reply to issues,you asked of internationally known tiv people,well here are a few:

[b]1.Agber Dimah PhD, Professor of Political Science, Chicago State University, Chicago, IL, 60628-1597, adimah@csu.edu

2.Tor A. Kwembe

Born: 1955; place: Gboko, Nigeria

B. Sc. (1980) Mathematics/Statistics University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria; M.S. Mathematics (1983) University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Ph.D. (1989) Applied Mathematics The University of Illinois at Chicago
thesis: Nonlinear Diffusion Problems of Mathematical Biology; Advisor:

Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science Chicago State University

personal or universal URL: http://webs.csu.edu/~tkwembe/index.htm
email: tkwembe@csu.edu

3.Philip Aka, JD, Ph.D., Assoc. Professor of Political Science & Pre-Law Advisor, University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff

4.Moses Asom, Ph.D., Senior Vice President, SyChip Inc

5.Terseer Hemben, MS, Petroleum & Gas Eng.; Chemical Eng.; Chemistry; Senior Design Engineer, Ford Motor Company

6.Agber Dimah, Ph.D., Professor of Political Science, Chicago State University

7.Tachia Igbakula, Ph.D., Professor of Mathematics/Statistics, Prairie View A & M University

8.Dominik Iyorlu, Ph.D., Assst. Professor of Linguistics, Delrio College Texas

9.Akpe Mbaaityo, Ph.D., Professor of Business Communication, Nova South Eastern University

10.Ityokumbul Mku, Ph.D., Assoc. Professor of Chemical Engineering, Penn State University

11.John Tor-Agbidye, DVM, Ph.D., Research Scientist, National Center for Toxicological Research

12.Jossy Uvah, Ph.D., Professor of Mathematics, University of West Florida

13.Philip Yakubu, Ph.D., Cooperate Manager Dupont-PTI [/b]

ooh wait you might not know them they are from the interllectual field,i forgot your brain is too shallow well let me try this guy;

terna nande,ooh i'm sure the name doesnt ring a bell to you,you are not that sharp
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Germannig: 3:39pm On Mar 27, 2008
From which rat hole you dig these unknown names out. It took you almost 4 hours to do so, yet, one has not heard these jaw-breaking names before because they have not impacted significantly on anything worthy. Now compare them to Iweala, Emeagwali, Chinua Achebe, Chimamanda Adichie, Chike Obi, Barth Nnaji, Rotimi, Soyinka, Arunma Otteh (ADB, Vice president-an Igbo), Okezie Aruoma (http://nsh2007-sns2007.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/presenters/aruoma_e.html) , Jerome Nriagu (http://www.sph.umich.edu/iscr/faculty/profile.cfm?uniqname=jnriagu), and hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Igbo and Yoruba, the only two tribes that have ACTUALLY done Nigeria proud, both inside and outside of Nigeria.

Please go and dig for world reknown people of Tiv origin, if any at all, and not these names you have displayed here.
Re: The Tivs Of Benue Want To Break Away by Germannig: 3:49pm On Mar 27, 2008
Prof Nriagu is one of the most highly-cited researchers in the world, in his field of research:
http://hcr3.isiknowledge.com/formViewCharacteristic.cgi?id=2278&link1=Search&table=Publication

, and the first Nigerian to receive a meritorious Doctor of Science award.

http://www.sph.umich.edu/iscr/faculty/profile.cfm?uniqname=jnriagu

Now, these are internationally-known entities, ok.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking News: Fg To Re-introduce Toll Gate / Abia Government Threatens To Sue Punch Over Demotion Of Headmistress Report / Tribunal Affirms Abaribe 4th Term Bid In The Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.