Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,703 members, 7,831,200 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Why Are Nigerians Made Scapegoat For Scams All Over The World? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Nigerians Made Scapegoat For Scams All Over The World? (7925 Views)

5 Nigerians Made Forbes Billionaires List Number Four Will Shock You / Are Nigerians In The Us Doing Better Than Those In Nigeria? / Forbes 2015 Billionaires List Released. 5 Nigerians Made The List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Made Scapegoat For Scams All Over The World? by cgem: 8:32pm On Apr 09, 2008
Hello all,

The 419 thing has finally been publicized by the most popular black woman in the world. Oprah winfrey on her show with Brian Ross of ABC news said all Nigerians are fraud stars. The topic of the show was "Internet scams by Nigerians"
At the moment in the world today Nigerians are at great disadvantage. In Australia they do not allow wire transfers to Nigerians. In the US Daily Times and New York Times they always warn American citizens about having to do anything with Nigerians.
Several times on ABC news, they have focused on Nigerian scams to enlighten the americans. Infact they have come to lagos before to arrest yahoo boys in cafes! Straight from New York.
It is a pity, for those of you that have been to Europe and America you know how Nigerians are viewed. Even on Nairaland people bring in healthy discussions and some others are trying to bring in scam adverts to make quick money. Agreed not all Nigerians are fraudsters, but I mean most of the emails scams that are sent to 100s of millions every day are coming from this part of the world.
Nigerians are intelligent but a lot of people direct their intelligence to criminality. Even at student level when one becomes a student union government, his year plan is to buy a car before he leaves. Let the yahoo boys look at people that have directed their intelligence to bringing fame to the country and to them selves. Take a look at Prof Olufunmilayo Olopade, who won the McArthur genius award, for her work on breast cancer, take a look at Chimanda the lauret writer, and many others, these are people that we should cue from.
For all you of that are just trying to get out of the borders of Nigeria to perpetrate crime, You shall no no peace and the end shall be distastrous for you. Let us give our country a good name and stop shitty emails trying to defraud other careless or greedy people.
The latest news rocking this country is federal government expenditure of $16billion on power, with little or no light to common Nigerians. Look at China as big as it is only 2.2billion USD is used to rebuild Beijing for the common wealth games! Sarkozy, the French president was in the middle east to sign a number of contract with at least 4 countries for provision of Nuclear power by france and that contract was just $10billion. Now compare that with Nigeria and see how corruption have eaten so deep! I love Nigeria, but we should join hands and make Nigeria a better place.
There are a lot of issues and this is spreading like a cancer. Comments please on this this thread.
Here is a link http://www.news24.com/News24/Entertainment/Celebrities/0,,2-1225-2108_2186033,00.html
Check out the comments on Oprah's statement from people from all over the world.
I don't support what oprah has said. But Yahoo boys and our corrupt leaders have messed all your good buisiness and creative minded Nigerians up.
You need real hard work to get to the top!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Made Scapegoat For Scams All Over The World? by AkedeOba(m): 10:51pm On Apr 09, 2008
Oprah Winfrey is just another bloody American television producer trying to make sensational TV program . And by the way , we people who have visited the arse of America know how smelly it is. In places where there is predominant black population 80% of the men under 30 have been to prison or are on their way to prison and this is a fact . Can you say this about Nigerian communities ? Please open your eyes and don't get blinded by TV.

Take a look at Prof Olufunmilayo Olopade, who won the McArthur genius award, for her work on breast cancer, take a look at Chimanda the lauret writer, and many others, these are people that we should cue from.
Now why is Oprah Winfrey not making television programs about this. The truth is that bad news sells on television , and good news have very little value. Now tell me what is likely to happen to the truth - it will be quietly buried (I have an unspeakable name for her already but I am a polite guy).
Again as Emonkey has asked earlier - where are you getting your funny statistics ? 3 out of 5 Nigerians a fraudster ? Certainly there is no member of my household that is a fraudster , and nobody has ever come to my house to count the number of fraudsters cheesy cheesy. What about you ? how many members of your house is a fraudster ?
We don't yet know the complete truth about the power contracts yet anyway so don't get so dejected yet. The truth of the moment is that only Nigerians can improve Nigeria , and only Nigerians can destroy Nigeria - by echoing lies.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Made Scapegoat For Scams All Over The World? by bazzman(f): 10:26am On Apr 10, 2008
When you lie to your friends, parents and colleagues, they say its normal, but when you lie just to earn a living, they say its fraud,

We all lie, nigerians, americans,ect, as far as you are human, The christain folks calls it SIN,

Because some dont know how to lie to earn a living, they are lashing, the consequences of lying to earn a living and lying to get out of a tight situation is same before GOD.

If you have your opportunity, men wise up and use it cos traders lie every day to make extra gains.

We have not heard that a Nigerian living in USA for example Robbed a house, bt the american black there do it on daily bases.

So if you are able to convince someone to give you money like a begger does, I think its not a bad idea, it only left for the giver.

GREED is commodity on the world market today with a high demand, the active traders are unemployed nigerian youths, dont blame them, for if they was a better legitimate opportunity they would embrace it.

The solution is that our government should create more jobs for our graduates,
Re: Why Are Nigerians Made Scapegoat For Scams All Over The World? by AkedeOba(m): 10:09pm On Apr 10, 2008
And as Oprah Winfere likes to spread muck so much let's see how much she likes this bit of news :

The church of Oprah exposed. It could not be more clear.
See the excellent 7-minute video and the teaching that may take millions to hell, at http://youtube.com/watch?v=JW4LLwkgmqA

This evil black woman actively serves the devil and makes no excuses about it
Re: Why Are Nigerians Made Scapegoat For Scams All Over The World? by emonkey(m): 8:56am On Apr 13, 2008
This topic has immensely challenged me; thank you Akede.
Before the end of this week I will be launching an online forum for people who want to have a say as to how Nigeria should/can move forward. This should permit every Nigerian no matter where you are located in the world to contribute your ideas. No bellyachers and kolo-mental people invited wink
Re: Why Are Nigerians Made Scapegoat For Scams All Over The World? by CityBoy: 8:53pm On Apr 13, 2008
@Sweet T
@Tope_Fl

I think these guys have completely answered my question. Nigerians are indeed our own worst enemies. Does a handful of persons caught every year for fraud, and a few hundred unemployed idiots sending out silly emails to some other desperate idiots all over the world mean that an entire country of 150million is full of thieves ? I don't think so.

See the UK House of Commons speaker spending more than N400 million to renovate his house and the country is playing it down and quietly investigating it . Did Bush not rig election ? (please ignore this; it is another matter entirely ) If it is Nigeria we will all go to CNN to broadcast it so that the world can know that we have become civilised . we always think that the world is looking at us . For where ?! Most people outside Nigeria don't even know where Nigeria is !! In fact many still ask if Africa is a country !! They are only laughing at us , taking our money and insulting us. They know that crime has no colour or country , but if you want to claim ownership they will give it to you and make it your property. Let us stop bringing ourself down and let us start building a nation.

@Tope_Fl
BTW the link you sent is highly unkind and destructive.

Guys, please lets get our facts right before making statements. The House of Commons is being investigated for £4,000.00 expenses claimed for cab charges and not N400 million for house decoration as stated. If this was our only problem in Naija, then we all wont even be having this conversation. Yes, we are a country known for scams and its not unfair but a true reflection of the rot we all live in. The earlier we accept this the better for all. Even our govt is a fraud or how else can you explain govt awarding major contracts to non existing companies. Never compare our situation to the UK or US.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Made Scapegoat For Scams All Over The World? by AkedeOba(m): 9:32pm On Apr 13, 2008
CityBoy:

@Sweet T
@Tope_Fl

I think these guys have completely answered my question. Nigerians are indeed our own worst enemies. Does a handful of persons caught every year for fraud, and a few hundred unemployed idiots sending out silly emails to some other desperate idiots all over the world mean that an entire country of 150million is full of thieves ? I don't think so.

See the UK House of Commons speaker spending more than N400 million to renovate his house and the country is playing it down and quietly investigating it . Did Bush not rig election ? (please ignore this; it is another matter entirely ) If it is Nigeria we will all go to CNN to broadcast it so that the world can know that we have become civilised . we always think that the world is looking at us . For where ?! Most people outside Nigeria don't even know where Nigeria is !! In fact many still ask if Africa is a country !! They are only laughing at us , taking our money and insulting us. They know that crime has no colour or country , but if you want to claim ownership they will give it to you and make it your property. Let us stop bringing ourself down and let us start building a nation.

@Tope_Fl
BTW the link you sent is highly unkind and destructive.

Guys, please lets get our facts right before making statements. The House of Commons is being investigated for £4,000.00 expenses claimed for cab charges and not N400 million for house decoration as stated. If this was our only problem in Naija, then we all wont even be having this conversation. Yes, we are a country known for scams and its not unfair but a true reflection of the rot we all live in. The earlier we accept this the better for all. Even our govt is a fraud or how else can you explain govt awarding major contracts to non existing companies. Never compare our situation to the UK or US.

I get the impression that we are not speaking the same language here. Yoruba have a saying that : It is on the day that a madman agrees that he is insane, that he begins to get better. Yes we agree that Nigeria is corrupt . Indeed to eradicate the corruption within the next five to ten years will in fact take the Rawlings type of desperation . Otherwise we must strive to make corrupt people feel very bad and bring them to book , and that is happening now isn't it.

Nigeria is not the only corrupt people in the world , we must also understand that . I have friends working in public works department in UK and US, who get the impression that they have not left Nigeria considering the underhand deals that they see there. Nevertheless f**k them and their countries; Nigeria is corrupt, this we knowbut should that be your daily song and dance ? Come on let us celebrate our successes too cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians Made Scapegoat For Scams All Over The World? by topssy(m): 10:43pm On Apr 13, 2008
Hi guys,checkout my site www.destinyndreamz.co.uk
Re: Why Are Nigerians Made Scapegoat For Scams All Over The World? by AkedeOba(m): 7:06pm On Apr 15, 2008
Governors removed from office for election rigging ; a serving minister dismissed and remanded in custody without bail , now somebody please tell me that we are not improving .
Re: Why Are Nigerians Made Scapegoat For Scams All Over The World? by outlaws(m): 7:23am On Apr 23, 2008
cool

Hey poster: They scammed White people a lot back in the days that the Whites publicized it. A lot people always like to eguate blackness with negativity.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Made Scapegoat For Scams All Over The World? by emonkey(m): 9:37am On May 10, 2008
I promised I will create this web site weeks ago but better late than never.

www.rateoga.com welcomes beta testers.
rateoga.com is for the evaluation of Nigerian public servants and their policies . This web site also gives users the opportunity to make general and specific suggestions on how the country may be improved.

Have you ever wished that you could personally rate your leaders ? Have you ever wished that there exists a forum where serious grassroots discussions can be held to advise your leaders on where they have failed and how they could possibly do a better job all for the good of the country ? Do you have a personal idea of how to improve infrastructures - health, security, education, power, agriculture and so on ? Have you seen an idea that has been successfully implemented in another country and which you think may sincerely improve Nigeria ? You can discuss it all on this site.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Made Scapegoat For Scams All Over The World? by fivefinger(m): 8:42am On Oct 11, 2008
No matter how Nigerians are tags as scams,419ers.that does not mean they are not good people among them try to MAKE a honest business online.the internet is the future,so you staying out of it you are not do yourself any favour .
I think the good ones among us should TRY TO STOP this madness instead of stayin back and shouting scams.
AND that is the same thing happening to our politics in this country,how do you think this cuntry can grow when we have bad leaders still ruling us and the very skillful,decent,intellegent leaders among Us sit back and all they can do is complain about Nigeria is this ,NIGERIA IS THAT.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How do I Start Importing Gold Chain And Selling In Nigeira. / US Buys $2.7bn Nigerian Crude In Six Months / First Bank Account Opening: Quick And Simple Ways To Open An Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.