Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,555 members, 7,819,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? (22522 Views)

" Oga At The Top" Shem Obafaiye Excels in His Core Job / Lessons To Be Learnt From "My Oga At The Top" Drama! / Should Workers Who Use "My Oga At The Top" Joke During Office Hours Be Punished? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by Jarus(m): 11:02pm On Mar 15, 2013
Teachable moment. Beyond the comedy. What if you were in "oga at the top's" shoes? How would you have answered a simple question you don't know in a public space? For example, I had been using BB for 3 years before I knew the full meaning of DP? What if I was on live TV, discussing 'politics and the social media' and one thing led to the other I was required to tell the full meaning of DP (e.g I mention DP and the presenter asks me to enlighten him on what DP means). How would you have managed such situation? If I was in such situation I would have played with words. For the DP case, I would have played with words and answered like this: "Maupe, one interesting thing about social media is that a number of abbreviations fly around, that people are even less interested in their meaning, but the message they pass. For example, popular as it is, we still have people that don't know the full meaning of lol. In essence, people are more concerned with what DP is about. I know the P-part means picture, but you will be surprised I may not be able tell exactly what the D stands for. Definitely, me and you know what DP is about - the picture in the short data page of your BBM. And that's the most important."

I need suggestions on how to manage our "oga-at-the-topĀ­'s" situation. What is the least embarrassing way to manage such situation i.e being asked your organization's website on live TV and you don't know it?

How do you salvage such situation? How do you minimize, if not outrightly eliminate, the embarrassment?

And generally, how do you manage embarrassing situations in public/interviews etc?

9 Likes

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by Afam4eva(m): 11:03pm On Mar 15, 2013
[size=14pt]What i usually do when i find myself in such a position is to lie confidently. I will just say whatever i like and if you check it up later and find out it's not correct, i'll just tell you that i made a mistake and then give you the correct version after checking it up. But that man could not have done it because all the presenters had laptops in front of them and would have checked it right there and it would have meant more embarrassment for the man.

Now, what i would have done is to lie again and tell the presenters that the website if being worked on and that due to security, upgrading reasons or any reason at all, it cannot be revealed to the public at least for 48 hours. That way, he would have saved himself the embarrassment.[/size]

18 Likes

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by Jarus(m): 11:04pm On Mar 15, 2013
Afam4eva: .

Bros, I will start charging for space reservation on my threads o cheesy
Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by Afam4eva(m): 11:08pm On Mar 15, 2013
^^lol
Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by Nobody: 12:00am On Mar 16, 2013
When going for an interview program on Channels TV who we know for sure have very intelligent anchors, He should have prepared well in the first place. Maupe Ogun seems to be a very intelligent lady and you can't escape her questions.

Well, i pray never to be in his shoes anyway.

1 Like

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by Jarus(m): 12:09am On Mar 16, 2013
I don't see Maupe as that intelligent. She bullies too much. That's not her first time. Suleiman would have managed the situation better.

16 Likes

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by Afam4eva(m): 12:12am On Mar 16, 2013
Jarus: I don't see Maupe as that intelligent. She bullies too much. That's not her first time. Suleiman would have managed the situation better.
[size=14pt]I was surprised when she couldn't extend the same treatment to Jonathan when she was invited as one of his interviewers.[/size]

20 Likes

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by mutiply: 12:41am On Mar 16, 2013
As for me, i will tell the interviewer the truth about my ignorance. There is no shame in learning, i will take it as a chanllenge to go and learn more if someone ask me about something which i ought to know, life is all about mistakes and learning, our lives begins to end the day we stop learning from our mistakes. no one is ever perfect.

11 Likes

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by OAM4J: 1:15am On Mar 16, 2013
For me in the situation my response always is "erm... erm........ sorry it just skip my memory now, will respond to the question when I remember"

Everybody suffers from memory NEPA failure na.

9 Likes

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by Afam4eva(m): 1:15am On Mar 16, 2013
mutiply: As for me, i will tell the interviewer the truth about my ignorance. There is no shame in learning, i will take it as a chanllenge to go and learn more if someone ask me about something which i ought to know, life is all about mistakes and learning, our lives begins to end the day we stop learning from our mistakes. no one is ever perfect.
[size=14pt]If you're ignorant about where you work then you don't deserve to be in that position. It's like someone asking me how many children i have and i'm telling the person the truth about my ignorance.[/size]

11 Likes

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by Mynd44: 4:06am On Mar 16, 2013
What happened to "I don't know or I don't remember it right now"? If he was honest about this whole thing, the matter would have died down.

He could have easily said they have a department that takes care of the IT side and he is not conversant with the website as he is usually too busy with other stuff. I surely would not blame him for that but trying to cover up his ignorance by lying is wrong

12 Likes

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by Nobody: 7:09am On Mar 16, 2013
OAM4J: For me in the situation my response always is "erm... erm........ sorry it just skip my memory now, will respond to the question when I remember"

Everybody suffers from memory NEPA failure na.
Lol! I bet you won't say that when you are to be interviewed in real life.
Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by Nobody: 7:13am On Mar 16, 2013
Jarus: I don't see Maupe as that intelligent. She bullies too much. That's not her first time. Suleiman would have managed the situation better.
Bully as in how? She is very intelligent abeg! Only a guest who is brainy enough can actually challenge her. Other Anchors seems to be on the mild side. Whenever she isn't on the show i don't watch Sunrise Daily. The babe is hot!

3 Likes

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by mutiply: 8:14am On Mar 16, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=14pt]If you're ignorant about where you work then you don't deserve to be in that position. It's like someone asking me how many children i have and i'm telling the person the truth about my ignorance.[/size]
its not possible to know all,sometimes the easy tins we claim we know can skip frm our mind in some certain situations,a friend of mine once asked me to spell the word "capital" in final exams, i did nt laugh at him cause i knw the tension that normally occurs within that period, am very sure that gej does not know all about niaja bt he the presido,your example is very wrong cause some men dont know the number of children they have, believe me it's always better to take the shame and learn from it.

6 Likes

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by Popowaa: 8:21am On Mar 16, 2013
True
mutiply: its not possible to know all,sometimes the easy tins we claim we know can skip frm our mind in some certain situations,a friend of mine once asked me to spell the word "capital" in final exams, i did nt laugh at him cause i knw the tension that normally occurs within that period, am very sure that gej does not know all about niaja bt he the presido,your example is very wrong cause some men dont know the number of children they have, believe me it's always better to take the shame and learn from it.
Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by nitrogen(m): 8:35am On Mar 16, 2013
As simple as it is, I will just say,'I have forgotten, I will tell you when I remember'. Cest' fini!

Btw, the matter most likely is forgotten as the programme ends.

NB: This #oga at the top# case just showed us the clear difference between a smart secondary school boy and a dull/clueless oga that has another oga at the top.
Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by MajorJ(m): 10:20am On Mar 16, 2013
berem: Bully as in how? She is very intelligent abeg! Only a guest who is brainy enough can actually challenge her. Other Anchors seems to be on the mild side. Whenever she isn't on the show i don't watch Sunrise Daily. [size=14pt]The babe is hot![/size]
[img]http://static1.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/4118963+_5fd87dd5c4cbb18046bef90ee1070359.gif[/img]
Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by gen2briz(m): 10:23am On Mar 16, 2013
Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by dridowu: 10:23am On Mar 16, 2013
It can happen to any1.
Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by nbright: 10:25am On Mar 16, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=14pt]I was surprised when she couldn't extend the same treatment to Jonathan when she was invited as one of his interviewers.[/size]
Wow... Afam you of all people shouldn't have been suprised at that na... This is Africa and some people still respect their elders even if others tend to see only the wrong in their doings.... (No be mock I mock you o)
Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by redcliff: 10:25am On Mar 16, 2013
[size=14pt] grin If I was in his shoes, then I'l be the oga at the middle-top. grin[/size]

1 Like

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by donsax: 10:26am On Mar 16, 2013
This is my oga on top I was talking about

9 Likes

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 16, 2013
i would have just told the presenters to direct any question to my Oga at the top,that way,i would have saved my face,and embarassed my Oga at the top,for employing a retardeen like him.
Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by Warlord3000(m): 10:28am On Mar 16, 2013
Unfortunately.. The man didn't give himself a way out by trying to use "commanding tone/authoritative voice"

Cos everytime they were trying to soften and help him out, he was just saying WAIT... WAIT... WAIT to the presenters..

More like ignorance + ego..

I feel for him sha smiley

12 Likes

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by Teejayphillip(m): 10:29am On Mar 16, 2013
Evryone makes mistake while speakin or doin sum oda tin... D so call Commandant neva c anytin wrong in wat he said...

He takes his life as a normal one... Nah we human dey luk for pples flaws,while sum of us r worse dan him...

To me the WORD as bin spoken already,and nothin can b done 2 retrieve it bac... Daz life 4 us all,tis a lesson we learn n make correction outta it....

2 Likes

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by 2good(m): 10:29am On Mar 16, 2013
Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by iamswizz(m): 10:30am On Mar 16, 2013
Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by gerrardomendes(m): 10:30am On Mar 16, 2013
sorry,but i dont wear his shoe size

3 Likes

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by mecussey(m): 10:30am On Mar 16, 2013
Well, I will copy Obama .. During the presidential debate, when he's asked question on what he does not know, he will rephrace the question to what he knows and answer it. If you insist, he will also insist, then you have no other option than to move on..lol

5 Likes

Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by obicentlis: 10:31am On Mar 16, 2013
Haaaaa.............. Enough of this naaa
Re: What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? by mokshaq7: 10:31am On Mar 16, 2013
the question asked from him is an identity of the organisation he works for,lets stop dribbling around ,its like you don't know ur name in that vice,to it shows the extent of decadence in picking officers for offices in public office,civil service is a funny place to be for a challenging mind,you find it boring and annoying,the so called ogas moved around shoulder high without anything in their head,what matters is i am the oga based on rank which at times its not merited.We have some brilliant people too there but generally its very poor.I believe what he should have done is not to go there alone,he was too confident but he knew nothing,if he had gone with a sharper younger mind he would have salvage the situation.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Accounting, Economics, Bus Adm. Which Is More Relevant In Contemporary Nigeria? / Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? / My Job Is Ruining My Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.