Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,437 members, 7,812,304 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:24 AM

Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience (17749 Views)

My Phobia For People With Mental Illness: Reply To Adebola Rayo / How Are You Coping With The Current Heat Wave? / Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Rooneyboy(m): 5:47pm On Mar 16, 2013
Clemzy16: I'm allergic to reading long articles. Can someone please summarise?!

Pls go and visit a psychiatrist grin

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 16, 2013
Thanks for sharing. I have dealt with a similar disorder all my life also, maybe not as "bad"as the authors situation, but quite similar. It led to me being an extreme introvert but as i got older i started battling with various episodes of depression. I eventually had to see a psychiatrist also. I was on medication for months and had counseling also. The breaking point for me was when i started having suicidal thoughts and all that kept me from going that route was the thought of how my action would hurt my loved ones...especially my parents. Depression and personality disorders can be well managed and in my case is genetic. Knowing what triggers those feelings and safeguarding against them and seeking medical help is very important......ONLY THE ILL INFORMED AND IGNORANT WOULD PUT A STIGMA ON THOSE STRUGGLING WITH MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES!

4 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Seun(m): 5:49pm On Mar 16, 2013
claremont: I don't think this article does any justice whatsoever to the thorny subject of mental health. This article is more or less about the personality type of the writer, trying to make us believe that mental health is the crux of the issue here is an insult to those who really suffer from it.
You're ignorant about the issue, but instead of learning, you are thinking. You can't think about what you've not learnt. Start here! (updated)

5 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 5:53pm On Mar 16, 2013
Mojibola: ^^and yu needed to quote the whole post?...as in seriously? just to write 'wow'. na wa for yu oo...

That was a good example of mental mad niss!

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by nagoma(m): 5:58pm On Mar 16, 2013
I sympathise with this very intelligent young lady but pleased that she realizes that it's not all about drugs but about consciousness. In her own case I would say it's all about conciousness and nothing about drugs at all. Her anxiety can be managed with no drugs at all in my view. She needs reassurance and must stop concentrating on herself and get a focus elsewhere. I do not Necessarily disagree with the psychiatrists diagnosis but the treatment in this case has to be behavioral and confidence building. The adage remains true to some extent that;

Physicians know everything but can do nothing
Surgeons know nothing but can do everything
And Psychiatrists know nothing and can do nothing.

Just avoid them and get a helpful friend.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 5:59pm On Mar 16, 2013
Its a very touching story Aπϑ for 'Adebola Rayo' τ̅☺ have allowed Seun or probably someone else to share this experience goes a long way to show her maturity. We live in a world where each Aπϑ everyone of us have to deal ώį̸̸̨ƭƕ one issue or the other, but the moment it has to do with the mental, people refer to it as 'being mad'. This is a perception that needs to change, quite a large % of Nigerians need τ̅☺ change their orientation about mental illness. People having these condition just need τ̅☺ be understood as they are not emotionally stable and the people around them, most especially immediate family Aπϑ close allies need τ̅☺ always support Aπϑ care for them anytime they are undergoing a breakdown. Yes, i call it a breakdown because it's a phase thε̲̣̣̣̥y pass through once in a while. In some cases, if not all, these special people are extremely more intelligent than the ordinary person out tђere. I know what i am saying 'cos i have close ones having these condition, when they breakdown, it's always a trying/stressful period for everyone truly connected to them by blood. But love Aπϑ care always have the final say. Let's change our attitude today Aπϑ show a little more understanding towards people ώį̸̸̨ƭƕ these condition, don't see them attending a pyschiatric unit in a hospital, and the next thing is for you to broadcast by gossiping. It must stop henceforth. I hope to speak with Rayo someday, i love her courage. @Seun, many Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kz Fø̲̣̣я̅ this.

2 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by anonimi: 6:13pm On Mar 16, 2013
Good for her to have found a way and the courage especially to deal with the situation.
Hope it will help others in similar condition and the society to be more understanding.
And thanks Seun for sharing.

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by slimyem: 6:23pm On Mar 16, 2013
I don't understand all the "Wow" emotions on this thread.undecided
The writing is bland and the whole point of it is lost on me.undecided
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 6:27pm On Mar 16, 2013
Clemzy16: I'm allergic to reading long articles. Can someone please summarise?!
. It's not compulsory for you to read long articles. You didn't request for it afterall. This is a life long experience of someone being published, how do you expect it to bΕ̲̣̣̣̥ summarized? I suggest you post a story, then give the summary version as well. Am sure we all gonna learn from it.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 16, 2013
I felt same somtime, like easily provoked n sometimes sucidal lolz but d sucidal part comes once in a while. Its sad for real, i just can't tell d problem when asked n I felt for my girlfriend one time she almost lost her job staying back with me crying, praying n never letting go of my sight, this was when I was having a sucidal feelings. It was so bad that when driving, I would hv a feeling of somersulting d car or plunging down a bridge, I just felt like dieing then for no reason. I would ask my girlfriend what she would do when she hears am dead or will she still love me when am gone things like dat. The day it was tough on me I was at home cos I was on leave I bought a bottle of red label n two cards of pain killers n I started taking shots of drinks n following up with d drugs, am neither a drinker nor a drug lover but I was attempting somthing strange my saving grace was that my girl called n I picked n passed out she heard the drop of the bottle n cup n when yelling my name n no responds she rushed home n I didn't lock the door so she got in n screamed it was the scream dat brought me back but I wasn't seeing again every where was blurred n that was all I could remember b4 I found my self in d hospital meaning I passed out the second time. There was know direct specification to the amount of drink consumed but it was more than half a bottle n a card n four tablets of pain killer.

The truth is that mental illness is real n its not madness it can be tagged dat when it goes out of hand. There is mental illness in almost every nigerian. Stress n depression, heartbreak n loss could lead to mental illness so let's not relax with our condition but look for a way out. I thank God am back to normal I had to read hw ppl overcame theirs n I started dealing with dat n most importantly drawing close to God becos when u r with God there is joy n peace which I am a living testimony.

6 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Ibime(m): 6:31pm On Mar 16, 2013
Unfortunately this chicks mental illness is believing that she has a mental illness. There are many people who have been through sad, painful and isolated periods in their life, and in my experience the only ones who stay that way are the ones who take "happy" drugs.

Pls let's talk about the real mad people ie the ones who suffer from Schizophrenia. I have one young boy a family friend suffering from it and it seems his situation is incurable. Does anybody have experience of overcoming this issue?
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Kay17: 6:37pm On Mar 16, 2013
ArQueBusieR: Quit jumping about. Just tell God about your situation. This is too petty for him sef.

The hyperinsensitivity of some Christians sef. Doesn't God know?!

3 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Ayoobscom(m): 6:41pm On Mar 16, 2013
I had to force the tears not to fall, however the article captures a typical general mental disorder to a bearable minimum in every human being....

It would mean that we are all mentally ill..bcoz apparently everybody on this thread have gone through similar experience
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by cheleku(m): 6:45pm On Mar 16, 2013
A wonderful and well articulated piece. But can a mentally ill person construct such a beutiful piece? I doubt.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Drdreluv: 6:48pm On Mar 16, 2013
IT is well...........
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by mysticgal(f): 6:48pm On Mar 16, 2013
had a similar experience,stared nd talk 2 walls,myself,havin no rizon 2 cry,cut myself deep wit objects tot of death constantly.overcame it sha.

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by quest003: 6:50pm On Mar 16, 2013
so many ignorant people on dis thread but i'm glad she already wrote abt d ignorance aspect as well

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 16, 2013
Ibime: Unfortunately this chicks mental illness is believing that she has a mental illness. There are many people who have been through sad, painful and isolated periods in their life, and in my experience the only ones who stay that way are the ones who take "happy" drugs.

Pls let's talk about the real mad people ie the ones who suffer from Schizophrenia. I have one young boy a family friend suffering from it and it seems his situation is incurable. Does anybody have experience of overcoming this issue?
. Let's follow τ̣̣ђ€ thread before we post. Schizoprenia is a mental disorder not madness. Am so shocked you can refer τ̅☺ that young boy in your family as 'mad', then when He grows up what are you gonna call him? Calling him mad is like giving up on him, which you must never allow τ̅☺ happen. Sure, the experiences we have with them demoralizes us often, but love Aπϑ care always wins. Just change your orientation and look at things from the +ve point of view. That boy would probably grow up to become a leader of a new Nigeria, refer him to the medics, am sure things would bΕ̲̣̣̣̥ better.

5 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 6:58pm On Mar 16, 2013
Thanks, Seun.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 7:02pm On Mar 16, 2013
cheleku: A wonderful and well articulated piece. But can a mentally ill person construct such a beutiful piece? I doubt.
. Of course yes MR. They ® far more intelligent in some cases Aπϑ there write ups Aπϑ speech are very impeccable. Example, thε̲̣̣̣̥y will write beautiful instead of 'beutiful'

2 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Onyinyechimara(f): 7:03pm On Mar 16, 2013
You don't have to wait for someone to remove their clothes and walk the streets nake.d before you acknowledge that they have a mental illness
There are different degrees of 'madness' unfortunately

If we don't acknowledge them then we won't treat them
You can't treat what you haven't diagnosed

Cheiii........ignorance is bliss in it?
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by GooseBaba: 7:06pm On Mar 16, 2013
Why do we always have to put Nigeria down? For some inferior african that have not seen the life style of Americans or European first hand, they would think that there is no stigma associated with mental illness in those countries..hence the words "looney bin, forgot to take your meds, mad house, and the list goes on...such stigmatizing is not peculiar to Nigerians or undeveloped countries... It's simply human nature to react...

If you know one is mentally unstable you don't hold their hands and sing ku-ba-ya... You stay your lane sharp sharp..if they happen to pluck out your eye balls you only have your self to blame...shikena!!!

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Ivynwa(f): 7:08pm On Mar 16, 2013
Yeah, we all need to show more warmth to the unfortunate ones and not detest and deride them which is why I carry "a basket full of warmth in my heart" around.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by cecegorz(m): 7:09pm On Mar 16, 2013
Seun:
The writer had to drive herself to a hospital and she had to convince the doctors that she had a problem. If you're waiting for your mum to understand, you may have to wait forever. Talk to family friends, and maybe one of them will understand and convince your mum to help you.
May be we'll arrange free buses to Yaba from major bus stops, I am sure a good number of Nairalanders will benefit from the gesture.
You only need to read one or two topics in politics session to understand the enormity of the situation.
How much is that your advert space again? I can pay for the advert as a start
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Truckpusher(m): 7:15pm On Mar 16, 2013
I know some mad Nairalanders that curses the President over nothing and i keep attacking them back ,but now that i have this information i'll confirm with MY OGA AT THE TOP if it would be possible i send them to the psychiatric dokinta tongue....*dancing azonto whilst mixing my alomo with fresh breas*t milk and waiting for them mad haters to get mad at me* lipsrsealed
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Ivynwa(f): 7:17pm On Mar 16, 2013
Claremont: I don't think this article does any justice whatsoever to the thorny subject of mental health. This article is more or less about the personality type of the writer, trying to make us believe that mental health is the crux of the issue here is an insult to those who really suffer from it.

What are you talking about Mister? Do you think that mental health is only about "Were", "Ndiara" and mad people?
This is why when some people commit suicide everybody is baffled because we deem ourselves very healthy mentally for the fact that we wear nice looking clothes and smile at everybody.
An unhappy person is not mentally healthy, a sorrowful person is not mentally healthy----these ones need us to reach out and be comforting them not tell them terrible things online or in real life.

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by HisMajesty1(m): 7:21pm On Mar 16, 2013
It takes courage to come out and tell the world you have this kind of problem. Take it or leave it, i have a strong belief that 80% of nairalanders are people who have faced, or is facing Rayo's situation or something similar.

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by sheblayze(f): 7:21pm On Mar 16, 2013
I feel like crying now. I feel guilty after reading this piece. Guilty for not being there for my friend all the times she acted wierd and annoying. She's one of the nicest persons in the world but atimes she would just overreact(shout) and other times totally avoid you like you are sh*t. Acquaintances walk up to me and be like, "...but that your friend, are you sure she's okay, she's wierd and all that ish..." I just tell them "she's fine but don't try to make her feel inferior"
Now, I would be more understanding. I have learnt.

3 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Truckpusher(m): 7:24pm On Mar 16, 2013
she-blayze:
I feel like crying now. I feel guilty after reading this piece. Guilty for not being there for my friend all the times she acted wierd and annoying. She's one of the nicest persons in the world but atimes she would just overreact(shout) and other times totally avoid you like you are sh*t. Acquaintances walk up to me and be like, "...but that your friend, are you sure she's okay, she's wierd and all that ish..." I just tell them "she's fine but don't try to make her feel inferior"
Now, I would be more understanding. I have learnt.

Show Me Your Friends, And I'll Tell You Who You Are tongue........we are watching out for you as a fellow nairalander grin
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 7:29pm On Mar 16, 2013
pDude: She talked about the following symptoms/signs

Suicide: Please give me a break. Contemplating suicide isn't an abnormal behavior. In some cultures, suicide is a way of life. In Japan, if certain assassins fail in their duties, the perform a Hara-Kiri (suicide) to save themselves, families and clan from the shame of failing in their sworn duties. When I was swindled of a large amount of money some years back, I contemplated suicide many times. This doesn't make me mentally ill.

Panic attacks: I used to have an inferior complex in my younger days because I was obese. I avoided people and kept to myself. Anytime I went outdoors I always started breathing fast, sweating and feeling nervous because I felt people wouldn't accept me. All these are symptoms of panic attacks. Did it mean I was mental? No. All I did was lose weight and all that nonsense stopped.

Depression: This is a part of everyday life. Everybody feels depressed at one time or the other. Is depression mental illness? No.

Avoiding people: Introverts naturally avoid people. Everyone at one time or the other, want to be alone. This is a normal human behavior.

Mood swings: Everyone has mood swings all the time.

My conclusion: The writer has not given us sufficient information to clinically diagnose her condition as "mental illness". All I would prescribe for her is a good vacation and becoming more social.

SMH. Everything you wrote, from beginning to end, is appalling. At the same time, I'm glad to see this response because it actually proves her main purpose of sharing her experience: to raise awareness on mental illness in Nigeria and educate ignorant people like you.

5 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by coogar: 7:30pm On Mar 16, 2013
Billyonaire: The question should be: Who isnt mentally unstable in a way ? We all have a certain degree of madness.

speak for yourself, billyonaire!
yours is a case of mental disorder anyways. you work as a dangote driver and you call yourself a billionaire......that's delusion sprinkled with self deception and watered down by phantasm! tongue

Ibime: Unfortunately this chicks mental illness is believing that she has a mental illness. There are many people who have been through sad, painful and isolated periods in their life, and in my experience the only ones who stay that way are the ones who take "happy" drugs.

put him on khat
it's still legal in the UK but the authorities are about to sanction it. it works like magic!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

88 COVID-19 Vaccination Centers In Lagos (full List) / Walnut As Panacea For Stress, Infections, Infertility / 10 Foods That Increase Sperm Count

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.