Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,444 members, 7,812,334 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:54 AM

Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience (17750 Views)

My Phobia For People With Mental Illness: Reply To Adebola Rayo / How Are You Coping With The Current Heat Wave? / Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Kslib(m): 7:31pm On Mar 16, 2013
So na how mental illness be?? The story/article is not very clear,its just somehow..
I think the problem of the op just has to do with the fact that the Nigerian society does not understand/welcome poeple who act wierd in certain ways,hence the anger she mistook for mental illness...
Well,if we were to observe everybody's behaviour/personality,you would be shocked to find out that nobody is normal if we are to use the symptoms of the op as a yardstick to measure "mental illness"...
Look,immidiately the op is taken to america or a well educated/advanced society and allowed to stay there,her so called "mental illness" will vanish,why??
But take a correct concrete "mad man" form yaba left to anywhere and see if his madness will vanish,inshort,na then the madness go upgrade enter "level 2"...
Yes,the op has a problem,but certainly not "mental illness" cos that will be an insult to the real "mentally ill" people like claremont said..
Let me stress this again,yes,the op has has problem but not "mental illness".. I know we have very neat,good looking,educated mentally ill people but i just want that word "mental illness" to be reserved for those poeple at yaba left cos e no easy.. So you guys should find another word for the op's problem cos she's not qualified to be classified in the same league of the real mentally ill people..
When the op see better "mentally ill" person,na she go begin pity them...
Seun,dis one wey you dey defend this op well well so concerning this mental issue,you sure say you sef no get small ***ok forget**....

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Truckpusher(m): 7:31pm On Mar 16, 2013
coogar:

speak for yourself, billyonaire!
yours is a case of mental disorder anyways. you work as a dangote driver and you call yourself a billionaire......that's delusion sprinkled with self deception and watered down by phantasm! tongue
choi see bad mouth 101 grin grin grin
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Truckpusher(m): 7:32pm On Mar 16, 2013
Yield:

SMH. Everything you wrote, from beginning to end, is appalling. At the same time, I'm glad to see this response because it actually proves her main purpose of sharing her experience: to raise awareness on mental illness in Nigeria and educate ignorant people like you.

Lwkmd grin grin
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by proffemi: 7:32pm On Mar 16, 2013
It seems some people don't get the point. Perhaps OP was not trying to do a treatise on mental illness. For someone who has clearly stated her problems about opening up her "true face" to the world, this write up is nothing short of therapy for OP. It is her way of defying the urge to keep it bottled up. You need to appreciate the courage she has displayed here. Some of the responses so far, while being intellectually sound, could be construed as being insensitive. I don't think there's any need to psychoanalyze her here. Before you post a response, try to put yourself in her shoes, and ask whether your post is likely to make her feel her "coming out" has been worth it, or whether your post simply justifies her normal urge to hide herself from the judgmental world.

OP, it is well with you. You will always have days when you doubt yourself; when those come around, just realize that none of us is truly in charge. We all just learn to accept ourselves and play to our strengths. Life has given you a big cross to carry, but you are carrying it with more grace than you think. You will be surprised how many people understand what you're going through. People are often just too concerned about what those around them will say to become associated with anything that is tainted by stigma. But when a champion comes along, they usually find their voice. Perhaps you are the the voice that people living with mental health challenges have been waiting for? Think about that, but while you do, don't forget, go out and have fun. People are often imperfect, cruel and untrustworthy, but in a perverse way, that's part of what stops life from being boring. Plus, of course, when you open up, you do occasionally meet people that make you happy to be alive. All the best.

3 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 16, 2013
Anyway, I'm glad she's getting better gradually. I just feel for the rest of the people in Nigeria who're really struggling mentally and are afraid to speak out and get help because of being judged. I hope the Nigerian society will learn to be more tolerant and accepting of the fact that there're people out there who're struggling mentally and that they should not be ridiculed, but supported.

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Ibime(m): 7:37pm On Mar 16, 2013
austengold: . Let's follow τ̣̣ђ€ thread before we post. Schizoprenia is a mental disorder not madness. Am so shocked you can refer τ̅☺ that young boy in your family as 'mad', then when He grows up what are you gonna call him? Calling him mad is like giving up on him, which you must never allow τ̅☺ happen. Sure, the experiences we have with them demoralizes us often, but love Aπϑ care always wins. Just change your orientation and look at things from the +ve point of view. That boy would probably grow up to become a leader of a new Nigeria, refer him to the medics, am sure things would bΕ̲̣̣̣̥ better.

You mistake intention. When we talk about "mad" we are talking about nothing but Schizophrenia ie those dreadlock guys who trek for miles. So when I talk about my young friend, he has done all that plus beat his popsie, walking the street attacking total strangers during his episodes and even poured kerosene all over the house threatening to burn it when he was sent back to Naija. Luckily we have him stable on drugs after 4 or 5 long stints in the hospital. As I speak to you now he is on his way to my house right now to spend the night, even though I know he is the kind of guy that could get violent if he is not on his meds and I have a wife to protect, so no I have not given up on him. This in contrast to the writer who I believe is suffering from depression, what I consider a phase of her life which will pass as everyones does, but has gone down the route of drugs etc. Her situation will change with the right social conditionson and the passing of time not chemical dependencies and overruminating on her current state. One thing she might not fully grasp is that the mind is like the body, the same way it deteriorates is the same way it heals itself. As most on the thread have rightly pointed out, her situation is not uncommon and many have traversed that road and are perfectly fine now without labelling themselves as suffering from such and such condition (which is only temporary) or depending on drugs. My hope is that she will not carry this "mentally ill" identity on her head for life.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by segunsd: 7:41pm On Mar 16, 2013
orgasticdance: Epic Bore!
It would have been more interesting if she were a christian or deeply spiritual in some way.
Non believers/Atheists who become mentally ill/depressed/suicidal are a dime a dozen.
next pls...

Why isn't there a dislike button? Did any part of her article mention that she wasn't a christian or less spiritual? Did Christianity promise you mental stability? Was it not mental remedy that of "be transformed by the renewal of your mind".

She lives her life and stays sane by renewing her mind and re-assuring herself everyday. She said it was beyond drugs. It has to be a positive lifestyle with the right support systems.

If you have nothing nice to say #gbenudake

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by coogar: 7:46pm On Mar 16, 2013
orgasticdance: Epic Bore!
It would have been more interesting if she were a christian or deeply spiritual in some way.
Non believers/Atheists who become mentally ill/depressed/suicidal are a dime a dozen.
next pls...

you speak absent common sense!

Ibime:
You mistake intention. When we talk about "mad" we are talking about nothing but Schizophrenia ie those dreadlock guys who trek for miles. So when I talk about my young friend, he has done all that plus beat his popsie, walking the street attacking total strangers during his episodes and even poured kerosene all over the house threatening to burn it when he was sent back to Naija. Luckily we have him stable on drugs after 4 or 5 long stints in the hospital. As I speak to you now he is on his way to my house right now to spend the night, even though I know he is the kind of guy that could get violent if he is not on his meds and I have a wife to protect, so no I have not given up on him. This in contrast to the writer who I believe is suffering from depression, what I consider a phase of her life which will pass as everyones does, but has gone down the route of drugs etc. Her situation will change with the right social conditionson and the passing of time not chemical dependencies and overruminating on her current state. One thing she might not fully grasp is that the mind is like the body, the same way it deteriorates is the same way it heals itself. As most on the thread have rightly pointed out, her situation is not uncommon and many have traversed that road and are perfectly fine now without labelling themselves as suffering from such and such condition (which is only temporary) or depending on drugs. My hope is that she will not carry this "mentally ill" identity on her head for life.

but an ambulance and a fleet of squad cars would show up within 5 mins if your guest loses it in the middle of the night - so it's convenient. try housing a psychopath in nigeria, you'd be sorry you did!

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by talkryte(f): 7:51pm On Mar 16, 2013
pDude: She talked about the following symptoms/signs

Suicide: Please give me a break. Contemplating suicide isn't an abnormal behavior. In some cultures, suicide is a way of life. In Japan, if certain assassins fail in their duties, the perform a Hara-Kiri (suicide) to save themselves, families and clan from the shame of failing in their sworn duties. When I was swindled of a large amount of money some years back, I contemplated suicide many times. This doesn't make me mentally ill.

Panic attacks: I used to have an inferior complex in my younger days because I was obese. I avoided people and kept to myself. Anytime I went outdoors I always started breathing fast, sweating and feeling nervous because I felt people wouldn't accept me. All these are symptoms of panic attacks. Did it mean I was mental? No. All I did was lose weight and all that nonsense stopped.

Depression: This is a part of everyday life. Everybody feels depressed at one time or the other. Is depression mental illness? No.

Avoiding people: Introverts naturally avoid people. Everyone at one time or the other, want to be alone. This is a normal human behavior.

Mood swings: Everyone has mood swings all the time.

My conclusion: The writer has not given us sufficient information to clinically diagnose her condition as "mental illness". All I would prescribe for her is a good vacation and becoming more social.

Don't make hasty conclusions, walk a mile in her shoes - see things from her perspective; you'll understand better. There are number of personality disorder issues in this country but the awareness is low, so also the qualified experts to help us. Narcissism, schizophrenia, paranoid, schizoid,anti-social personality disorders are just few examples. Read extensively about them, you'll be surprised. People need to realise that the world is not perfect so also the people in it. Some imperfections are glaring while others are subtle. Making mockery of people who are mentally challenged, obese, physically challenged is being ignorant and shallow about the complexity of this world we live in. I'm glad she found a solution - not many of us are lucky.... some days are better than others but we keep trying because where there is life, there is hope.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Soloblincus(m): 7:54pm On Mar 16, 2013
adeoba: my dear, you are a beautiful and intelligent girl. Let me tell you: there is no such thing as "mental illness". I was diagnosed with "severe confusional state" in 1993, and then it went on to "acute psychoses" to "schizophrenia" over the years, to "bipolar affective disorder" today. it's all bullshit.
my broda, i think u stil need to go 4 treatment. No hard feelings
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by sheblayze(f): 8:03pm On Mar 16, 2013
Truckpusher: Show Me Your Friends, And I'll Tell You Who You Are tongue........we are watching out for you as a fellow nairalander grin

Lol. Go and concentrate on your truckpushing jorh! grin
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Ewoma45(f): 8:33pm On Mar 16, 2013
Hmmm,my dad is a living testimony.went thru a lot bt we thank God for every1 who has bin able to overcome every form of mental illness
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 16, 2013
Yield:

SMH. Everything you wrote, from beginning to end, is appalling. At the same time, I'm glad to see this response because it actually proves her main purpose of sharing her experience: to raise awareness on mental illness in Nigeria and educate ignorant people like you.

Next time you wanna comment on a topic on NL, keep sentiments aside and speak professionally. I'm speaking from a medical and professional point of view and not a sentimental one.

Are you blind?

Didn't you see the part where I wrote that the information was insufficient? Moreover, get to know me before you call me ignorant. You don't know much about my profession to call me ignorant so shut your rat trap.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by mediainspired: 8:46pm On Mar 16, 2013
Seriously, I fail to make real sense of this article. The writer has spoken so much, but SAID LITTLE. She is sure a writer with flair, but she is in need of one more skill: saying more with less words. Back to the subject matter, the writer does not convince me she has a mental problem. I've seen her personality; even worse &they did not reach the same conclusion as her. Psychiatric doctors will always have something to diagnose for everyone that com
es to them. If she insists she has a mental problem, then I insist 90% of Nigerians are mentally ill too. Does she have a nagging issues she's trying to deal with, past or present (like abortion etc)? She did not mention any &yet the women (mostly) her have already become so soapy, spongy &sentimental; just I expected their reaction would be.

2 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Ishilove: 8:47pm On Mar 16, 2013
adeoba: my dear, you are a beautiful and intelligent girl. Let me tell you: there is no such thing as "mental illness". I was diagnosed with "severe confusional state" in 1993, and then it went on to "acute psychoses" to "schizophrenia" over the years, to "bipolar affective disorder" today. it's all bullshit.
Seems you need deliverance.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by mediainspired: 8:48pm On Mar 16, 2013
Seriously, I fail to make real sense of this article. The writer has spoken so much, but SAID LITTLE. She is sure a writer with flair, but she is in need of one more skill: saying more with less words. Back to the subject matter, the writer does not convince me she has a mental problem. I've seen her personality; even worse &they did not reach the same conclusion as her. Psychiatric doctors will always have something to diagnose for everyone that com
es to them. If she insists she has a mental problem, then I insist 90% of Nigerians are mentally ill too. Does she have a nagging issues she's trying to deal with, past or present (like abortion etc)? She did not mention any &yet the women (mostly) here have already become so soapy, spongy &sentimental; just I expected their reaction would be.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by andyanders: 8:49pm On Mar 16, 2013
The problem is just a demonic problem of which ONLY deliverance could solve. Let the write or any other person having similar problem should go to Synagogue Church of All Nations for deliverance. As I am typing this now, A guy from Ireland is been delivered of same issue and he is free now.
Let the lady go there and get delivered.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by coogar: 8:51pm On Mar 16, 2013
andyanders: The problem is just a demonic problem of which ONLY deliverance could solve. Let the write or any other person having similar problem should go to Synagogue Church of All Nations for deliverance. As I am typing this now, A guy from Botswana is been delivered of same issue and he is free now.
Let the lady go their and get delivered.

why is every problem in nigeria a spiritual problem?
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by quest003: 8:51pm On Mar 16, 2013
Soloblincus: my broda, i think u stil need to go 4 treatment. No hard feelings
guess what? U re a fool
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by tsmith(f): 8:52pm On Mar 16, 2013
It's sad the level of ignorance on mental illness within our culture, but I can't blame anyone for believing (or not believing) what tey haven't experienced or is the norm in their society/generation. My fear though is that someway even this current generation would be affected and gwt bitten someway as a result of mental illness and the general ignoramus.

I used to be a part of the school of thought that MI is 'Arun oyibo' until I started to experience this a few years back myself. After my 2nd baby and returning to work a tab early, also saddled with a 20 month toddler (my 1st child) and an unsupportive husband (in terms of emotional support) plus my sister whose biggest joy is driving me up the wall, I have my episode of post natal depression and stress.

I knew I was stressed as there was a lot going on, however I did not diagnose it as PND in time. So even though everything looked good on the surface; a good job, family, car, etc. Reliable family care for my 10wk old baby, I just knew things weren't right. Unfortunately the adults around me (hubby&sis) only made matters worse by throwing words like 'frustrated' etc at me.

After losing my head Ia few good times over minor matters, I had to rein it all in and started an identification and elimination process of the key stress factors in my life. For those I couldn't eliminate, I had to strategise a way of daeling with, e.g. I quit the job, stopped my sister from providing childcare or any service for me (coz she was getting paid), ignored as many rants and issues with my hubby that I could etc.

Fast forward, now almost 3 years down the line; am I cured? No, however I'm much more experienced at knowing when I'm getting to the lows. Daily I'm devising ways of managing myself and episodes. I have chosen not to seek medical treatment yet, because one I fear the dependacy and possible wrong diagnosis as with Rayo. Also I have 2 beautiful children and I would do anything to stay safe, free and sane to look after them. I also do not want it on record or to be used against me on deciding child custody as obviously in me, it was over between me and my husband after failing me at the time I needed him most.

Now I seek a separation as the above coupled with other differences shows it wasn't working between my hubby n myself. But the folks at home and even supposed learned friends (abroad&home) can't understand when I say my reason is cause the marriage was affecting me psychologically. It's me that knows the lows & depths, the unspeakable negative thoughts and sometimes just wishing for an end to it all (though I never thought to commit suicide, but a natural end actually didn't seem like a bad idea).

I'm happy to share experiences and talk about this silent but emerging killer, because yes it's going to hit home rather soon as there are already signs and samples: the banker that killed herself, the hubby that stabbed the Skye banker and loads more that I read about.

3 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by quest003: 8:53pm On Mar 16, 2013
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 8:53pm On Mar 16, 2013
mediainspired: Seriously, I fail to make real sense of this article. The writer has spoken so much, but SAID LITTLE. She is sure a writer with flair, but she is in need of one more skill: saying more with less words. Back to the subject matter, the writer does not convince me she has a mental problem. I've seen her personality; even worse &they did not reach the same conclusion as her. Psychiatric doctors will always have something to diagnose for everyone that comes to them. If she insists she has a mental problem, then I insist 90% of Nigerians are mentally ill too. Does she have a nagging issues she's trying to deal with, past or present (like abortion etc)? She did not mention any &yet the women (mostly) her have already become so soapy, spongy &sentimental; just I expected their reaction would be.

Whoever you are, make you and your offspring prosper.

Exactly my point!!!!! Yet some ladies here are sounding sentimental and getting carried away with the superfluous words and pitiful outpourings of the writer. Keep sentiments aside and critically look into this case. What is written here is not enough proof to sign her up as a "Mental Patient". We need more information.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by tsmith(f): 8:55pm On Mar 16, 2013
^^^ I don't prove read as I'm typing off a phone and it's not the easiest task after managing to type an epistle, however I believe with lil of common sense applied, an average reader should be able to get my drift :-)
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by andyanders: 8:57pm On Mar 16, 2013
coogar:

why is every problem in nigeria a spiritual problem?

So, are you telling me that mental problem is not spiritual?
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 9:00pm On Mar 16, 2013
tsmith: ^^^ I don't prove read as I'm typing off a phone and it's not the easiest task after managing to type an epistle, however I believe with lil of common sense applied, an average reader should be able to get my drift :-)

No problem dear.

What you had was mental depression and mental breakdown due to heavy burdens being placed upon you, too hard to bear. That is far from "Mental illness". Believe me, mental illness has symptoms far worse from your symptoms.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Seun(m): 9:04pm On Mar 16, 2013
andyanders: So, are you telling me that mental problem is not spiritual?
Yes, we are. It is no more spiritual than malaria.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 9:11pm On Mar 16, 2013
Ishilove:
Seems you need deliverance.

she-blayze:

Lol. Go and concentrate on your truckpushing jorh! grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin

This is the reason I don't take anything on NL too seriously cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by tsmith(f): 9:20pm On Mar 16, 2013
pDude:

No problem dear.

What you had was mental depression and mental breakdown due to heavy burdens being placed upon you, too hard to bear. That is far from "Mental illness". Believe me, mental illness has symptoms far worse from your symptoms.

I beg to differ; mental illness is any condition that makes one's emotion well being to be ill balanced, however momentary, temporary,permanent or severe.

Like some physical illnesses e.g. headache, mild tummy upset etc if left untreated can have consequential impact. Which is where I believe you are coming from in terms of severity.

However for someone within the medical fields (I believe from you Adanmawa tales) I'm seriously surprised at your stance. IMO, it's enough to get your licence to practice revoked.

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Soloblincus(m): 9:22pm On Mar 16, 2013
quest003:
guess what? I am an award wining fool
sorry, i never knew u were more stupid dan i imagined..
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 9:25pm On Mar 16, 2013
tsmith:

I beg to differ; mental illness is any condition that makes one emotion well being to be ill balanced, however momentary, temporary or permanent or severity.

Likewise physical illness could be headache, mild tummy upset etc. Some physical illnesses left untreated can have consequential impact. Which is where I believe you are coming from in terms if severity.

However for someone within the medical fields (I believe from you Adanmawa tales) I'm seriously surprised at your stance. IMO, it's enough to get your licence to practice revoked.

*Facepalms* I give up.

You know what? Mental illness has no cure; and that is exactly what you had since you beg to differ. I will be careful with my health if I were you because anything can trigger it off and take you to yahooland. wink
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by tsmith(f): 9:43pm On Mar 16, 2013
pDude:

*Facepalms* I give up.

You know what? Mental illness has no cure; and that is exactly what you had since you beg to differ. I will be careful with my health if I were you because anything can trigger it off and take you to yahooland. wink

The issue here isn't about whether MI has a cure or not. Some do and some don't. But my contention is writting off the likes of Rayo or my situation as described as not mental illness. Everything starts from somewhere that the point I'm trying to drive.

But on a lighter note; yahoo land sounds like a good idea. I could kill the likes of you n my hubby and blame it on my mental state of mind.[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

88 COVID-19 Vaccination Centers In Lagos (full List) / Walnut As Panacea For Stress, Infections, Infertility / 10 Foods That Increase Sperm Count

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.