Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,461 members, 7,812,409 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience (17751 Views)

My Phobia For People With Mental Illness: Reply To Adebola Rayo / How Are You Coping With The Current Heat Wave? / Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by switosman(m): 2:51pm On Mar 17, 2013
I feel you Op. I am currently reading two books to help me deal with my discovery. My wife has been acting weird and abusive then I found she has borderline personality disorder. She was not diagnosed by professionals but her character fits it from my research. I have a son and I don't want him affected or infected by it.
One book " stop walking on egg shells" is teaching how I can own my life while living with a wife suffering BPD. Living with BPD patient is a high task. The other book "I hate you - don't leave me", explains what BPD is all about.
My prayer now is how to get my wife to acknowledge that something is wrong and to seek professional help.
Another issue, is there ready professional help. You hardly hear one is a therapist or a psychoanalyst. I think visiting psychiatric hospital will help.

2 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 3:19pm On Mar 17, 2013
Yield:

pdude, THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL NOR A PROFESSIONAL RESPONSE.

Do not start claiming to be what you are not ( regarding your comment about "your profession" ). This is not the type of response I would expect from someone in the field. If it is [to you], it is a shameful one. IF you are in the field ...note the conditional IF - because you are not believable at all. 1) You need to go back to School because you definitely did not comprehend a thing and 2) You need to have your license taken away.

You saying the information is "insufficient" is ridiculous. It is an adequate, informative piece of writing. She did not write this piece so some yeye, zero credibility, wannabe-Doctors can "clinically diagnose her" on the internet. She has already been diagnosed and my wish is for her to continue to do well. pDude, na wa for you ooo.

i agree.

pdude you were being a bit insensitive babes. undecided
and btw i'm happy that you got over your fears as a child. smiley #strength
but that should be all the more reason why you would want to understand her more.

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by its22078: 2:26am On Mar 18, 2013
pDude: She talked about the following symptoms/signs

Suicide: Please give me a break. Contemplating suicide isn't an abnormal behavior. In some cultures, suicide is a way of life. In Japan, if certain assassins fail in their duties, the perform a Hara-Kiri (suicide) to save themselves, families and clan from the shame of failing in their sworn duties. When I was swindled of a large amount of money some years back, I contemplated suicide many times. This doesn't make me mentally ill.

Panic attacks: I used to have an inferior complex in my younger days because I was obese. I avoided people and kept to myself. Anytime I went outdoors I always started breathing fast, sweating and feeling nervous because I felt people wouldn't accept me. All these are symptoms of panic attacks. Did it mean I was mental? No. All I did was lose weight and all that nonsense stopped.

Depression: This is a part of everyday life. Everybody feels depressed at one time or the other. Is depression mental illness? No.

Avoiding people: Introverts naturally avoid people. Everyone at one time or the other, want to be alone. This is a normal human behavior.

Mood swings: Everyone has mood swings all the time.

My conclusion: The writer has not given us sufficient information to clinically diagnose her condition as "mental illness". All I would prescribe for her is a good vacation and becoming more social.

Wow what a dismissive and unempathic statement. I hope u never have the misfortune of experiencing mental illness. lol - suicide is not abnormal??! Maybe ur right (NOT!), maybe its normal for the japanese, but the writer is not japanese :@. Also dont compare ur experiences to other ppls. just because u only experienced panic attacks due to ur fatness, doesn't unvalidate her experience. This is the exact kind of lack of compassion she was writing about. Shame on the 9 ppl who liked ur comment.Also, take it from a medical student, depression is a mental illness - do ur research dear, ur ignorance is showing. lol - theres something called bipolarr disorder in which ppl have mood swings - trust me - its not like everybody else's mood swing. Its ok not to have knowledge about mental illness but ur lack of compassion disgusts me.

2 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by bibiking1(m): 9:41am On Mar 18, 2013
I know the writer and i must say I always feel she was more mentally stable than i was.... She seemed to possess the ability to camouflage her BPD .... I am a rolling stone to be honest, and around me are hail stones..When i say Nigeria is a mad house i know what i mean... No one can be mentally stable in a country like this

2 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 1:42am On Aug 17, 2019
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 1:47am On Aug 17, 2019

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

88 COVID-19 Vaccination Centers In Lagos (full List) / Walnut As Panacea For Stress, Infections, Infertility / 10 Foods That Increase Sperm Count

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.