Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,470 members, 7,812,442 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:25 PM

Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience (17752 Views)

My Phobia For People With Mental Illness: Reply To Adebola Rayo / How Are You Coping With The Current Heat Wave? / Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 10:39pm On Mar 16, 2013
claremont: I don't think this article does any justice whatsoever to the thorny subject of mental health. This article is more or less about the personality type of the writer, trying to make us believe that mental health is the crux of the issue here is an insult to those who really suffer from it.

U don't need to run around d street half naked to be mentally ill. It comes in various ways, sumtyms u feel lyk d world is closing in on u, u re scared of shadows nd imaginary evils, u always feel lyk u re not normal nd different. Nd it happens in stages, might deteriorate. Dis is a typical example, do not insult d writer who was strong enuf to write dis, u don't know how hard it is.

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 10:43pm On Mar 16, 2013
pDude:

Next time you wanna comment on a topic on NL, keep sentiments aside and speak professionally. I'm speaking from a medical and professional point of view and not a sentimental one.

Are you blind?

Didn't you see the part where I wrote that the information was insufficient? Moreover, get to know me before you call me ignorant. You don't know much about my profession to call me ignorant so shut your rat trap.

pDude: She talked about the following symptoms/signs

Suicide: Please give me a break. Contemplating suicide isn't an abnormal behavior. In some cultures, suicide is a way of life. In Japan, if certain assassins fail in their duties, the perform a Hara-Kiri (suicide) to save themselves, families and clan from the shame of failing in their sworn duties. When I was swindled of a large amount of money some years back, I contemplated suicide many times. This doesn't make me mentally ill.

Panic attacks: I used to have an inferior complex in my younger days because I was obese. I avoided people and kept to myself. Anytime I went outdoors I always started breathing fast, sweating and feeling nervous because I felt people wouldn't accept me. All these are symptoms of panic attacks. Did it mean I was mental? No. All I did was lose weight and all that nonsense stopped.

Depression: This is a part of everyday life. Everybody feels depressed at one time or the other. Is depression mental illness? No.

Avoiding people: Introverts naturally avoid people. Everyone at one time or the other, want to be alone. This is a normal human behavior.

Mood swings: Everyone has mood swings all the time.

My conclusion: The writer has not given us sufficient information to clinically diagnose her condition as "mental illness". All I would prescribe for her is a good vacation and becoming more social.

pdude, THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL NOR A PROFESSIONAL RESPONSE.

Do not start claiming to be what you are not ( regarding your comment about "your profession" ). This is not the type of response I would expect from someone in the field. If it is [to you], it is a shameful one. IF you are in the field ...note the conditional IF - because you are not believable at all. 1) You need to go back to School because you definitely did not comprehend a thing and 2) You need to have your license taken away.

You saying the information is "insufficient" is ridiculous. It is an adequate, informative piece of writing. She did not write this piece so some yeye, zero credibility, wannabe-Doctors can "clinically diagnose her" on the internet. She has already been diagnosed and my wish is for her to continue to do well. pDude, na wa for you ooo.

7 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Dipwater(m): 10:48pm On Mar 16, 2013
Billyonaire: The question should be: Who isnt mentally unstable in a way ? We all have a certain degree of madness.

True story. I always feel like killing people ,I don't know if I shuld call it a mental illness. Thank gudness naija did not legalized the use of guns .I wuld have turn into serial killer.its so frustrating to be living in society where things don't work and to worsened it all politicians wuld come on air ,feeling so proud and talking rubbish.

The only leader I show luv is fashola for is humility. He is over hyped tho. But very humble
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by DICKtator: 10:53pm On Mar 16, 2013
who she man. ayaka ayoko. mene mene . i was goes around to see the queen.
i have no left yanuze land from the yoriness of ganazaka. opawpaw!!!!!
grin grin grin grin
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by YorubaOmoge: 10:58pm On Mar 16, 2013
[size=18pt]Oluwaseun Osewa,

Is that your iyawo?

What's with "beautiful" writer description? hmmm

Nnkan n be!
[/size]
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by YorubaOmoge: 11:04pm On Mar 16, 2013
DICKtator: who she man. ayaka ayoko. mene mene . i was goes around to see the queen.
i have no left yanuze land from the yoriness of ganazaka. opawpaw!!!!!
grin grin grin grin

Are you drunk?
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by YorubaOmoge: 11:05pm On Mar 16, 2013
Dipwater:

True story.[size=18pt] I always feel like killing people[/size] ,I don't know if I shuld call it a mental illness. Thank gudness naija did not legalized the use of guns .I wuld have turn into serial killer.its so frustrating to be living in society where things don't work and to worsened it all politicians wuld come on air ,feeling so proud and talking rubbish.

The only leader I show luv is fashola for is humility. He is over hyped tho. But very humble

Get checked out. . . . .and I'm not joking or trying to be rude.

Please.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 11:06pm On Mar 16, 2013
tsmith:

I beg to differ; mental illness is any condition that makes once emotion well being to be ill balanced, however momentary, temporary,permanent or severe.

Like some physical illnesses e.g. headache, mild tummy upset etc if left untreated can have consequential impact. Which is where I believe you are coming from in terms of severity.

However for someone within the medical fields (I believe from you Adanmawa tales) I'm seriously surprised at your stance. IMO, it's enough to get your licence to practice revoked.

100% on point!!

Yield:

pdude, THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL NOR A PROFESSIONAL RESPONSE.

Do not start claiming to be what you are not ( regarding your comment about "your profession" ). This is not the type of response I would expect from someone in the field. If it is [to you], it is a shameful one. IF you are in the field ...note the conditional IF - because you are not believable at all. 1) You need to go back to School because you definitely did not comprehend a thing and 2) You need to have your license taken away.

You saying the information is "insufficient" is ridiculous. It is an adequate, informative piece of writing. She did not write this piece so some yeye, zero credibility, wannabe-Doctors can "clinically diagnose her" on the internet. She has already been diagnosed and my wish is for her to continue to do well. pDude, na wa for you ooo.

Also on point!!
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Truckpusher(m): 11:06pm On Mar 16, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge:

Are you drunk?
Drunk ke!.....this is what i call real madness grin grin

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by YorubaOmoge: 11:09pm On Mar 16, 2013
[size=18pt]I've said it many many times on this forum; Nigeria needs an active/reformed Psychology field.

The one wey dey in Nigeria na simple joke lol. Counseling center ko market center ni.
[/size]

Truckpusher: Drunk ke!.....this is what i call real madness grin grin

lol
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by spicyp(f): 11:16pm On Mar 16, 2013
Dem say who nor go nor knw.A lot of people are just talking out of ignorance.Depression,always wanting to be alone etc are all signs of mental illness.Depression is a disturbance of the mind and once the mind is disturbed to some extent na wahala ooo.mke una try enter psychiatric hospital for uselu benin city una go knw say nobody is normal
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by TheRealMrStan(m): 11:18pm On Mar 16, 2013
I have a serious phobia for people living with mental illness.
Here's my story:http://mrstanleynwabia..com/2013/03/dearadebola-rayo-myphobia-for-people.html
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 11:25pm On Mar 16, 2013
Its a shame u had no meaningful contribution Aπϑ your post is so derogatory. From that 'meaningless sentence' of yours, i can infer that your character is confused. Please get a life Aπϑ make sure you achieve something. Its Ω̶̣̣̥̇̊​oτ̣̣̥​ a must τ̅☺ comment!
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Gabrielsylar(m): 11:25pm On Mar 16, 2013
I hate long write ups...its lilke anoda mental XXXXXX
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 11:38pm On Mar 16, 2013
I read the responses and I can authoritatively say most Nairalanders are actually mad.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by dabrake(m): 11:42pm On Mar 16, 2013
Alright, cool story.

Sha, me no read the tori. I just dey assume sey e go sweet.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by redsun(m): 12:01am On Mar 17, 2013
Being aware of how you feel is the solution. You are aware of how you feel,so you are on top of it. All you need to just do is deal with it and get on with it whichever way that makes you comfortable.

We all live for ourselves.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by patholaw: 12:07am On Mar 17, 2013
Chinwem: In Nigeria you re either 'mad' or pretending to be normal
Where 'madness' includes everything from autism to ADHD to post partum depression to psychosis
We classify all of them as 'mad aka kolomental unfortunately

Those ones pretending to be normal don't get needed treatment
Cuz they re afraid to seek help/ don't know it's available

Even parents will grumble when they hear their children who are doctors want to specialize in psychiatry
We have a long way to go as a nation
Beautiful write up OP
its mental illness not mad...didnt u read her post where she complained about d stigma of being called mad?
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by adaptor4all: 12:25am On Mar 17, 2013
Nice article
I know how it feels..I really do..js dt I can't present in any hospital,nt cos f stigma,bt becos I knw d cure..MUCH MONEY-its nt d name f any drug in d hosp,so y go there??
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by donbazini: 12:37am On Mar 17, 2013
If u are experiencing any of d above, no need 4 doctor, just read tru some hilarious comments on nairaland and u will Laff ur ass out knowning there so many people far crazy in nigeria thinkin they are normal and then u will understand dat u are a learner wit ur idealogy
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Seun(m): 12:44am On Mar 17, 2013
adaptor4all: Nice article
I know how it feels..I really do..js dt I can't present in any hospital,nt cos f stigma,bt becos I knw d cure..MUCH MONEY-its nt d name f any drug in d hosp,so y go there??
Much money can not help your health if you refuse to spend it on your healthcare by getting diagnosed for whatever is bothering you.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by donbazini: 12:48am On Mar 17, 2013
Everyone has a right to his or her own opinion in nairaland, if u don like other people response no nid to insult or bully peole for their remark, if he pain u too much there is always transformer for u to romance.

2 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 12:50am On Mar 17, 2013

una dey crase shey?
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Revolva(m): 12:55am On Mar 17, 2013
wait wait wait...so dis fyne babe in the pic has mental illness..na wa oo.....Nigeria GET MANY MAD GALS..OOOO
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 1:02am On Mar 17, 2013
chic should take a chill pill or smoke a weed or something.

Borderline Personality is another term for what-is-your-problem
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by mediainspired: 1:07am On Mar 17, 2013
@Yield &Yoruba_Omoge, just as many of d ladies on dis forum (including d writer), u are just being d typical African women: talking &acting from sentiment 90% of d time. Why are u attacking pDude's personality (Yield, especially) when, unlike u & d writer (who was mainly vascillating without being specific with examples), he made his points succintly, unsentimentally &logically. Why do women sometimes get into this mode of thinking with their emotions, rather than their head (no matter how literate)? Aaarrggh! Dats why men
just ignore dem sometimes. No wonder yellow journalism newspapers &websites like City People & lindaikeja are a hit wit dem. Guys dey call 'players' also use dis weakness againt dem. The exceptional women are indeed an exception joor. They are such an intellectual beauty.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by MOBBDEEP: 1:10am On Mar 17, 2013
This is interesting
For those who couldn't read the theme of the writer, it was because of the style of the writing. It was devoid of a central theme but kept hopping & fleetingly addressed several issues such as:
* The wide held negative perspective of the society concerning people having mental challenges no matter how little it is
* The wrong view of not recognizing that mental disorders are more than psychotic illnesses & the need to summon courage & access care once you accept the fact that something in you is amiss
* Her partial-detailed struggles with BPD

@PDude, I have always share similar opinion with you & I do have a great respect for you
Same goes for the politically-inclined Nagoma
But I differ tonight
I could understand Nagoma saying he doesn't believe in psychiatry knowing where he is coming from
But you PDude!, you are a doctor for Pete' s sake
That's why I overlook the layman's poor awareness & knowledge of mental disorder.
If a large proportion of medical experts still share same believe with PDude or at worse take it to the next by thinking they are non-curable, non-medical but are of spiritual aetiology, where are you going to start the campaign and enlightenment ?

Seriously SMH
I don't even know what to say

pDude: She talked about the following symptoms/signs

Suicide: Please give me a break. Contemplating suicide isn't an abnormal behavior. In some cultures, suicide is a way of life. In Japan, if certain assassins fail in their duties, the perform a Hara-Kiri (suicide) to save themselves, families and clan from the shame of failing in their sworn duties. When I was swindled of a large amount of money some years back, I contemplated suicide many times. This doesn't make me mentally ill.

Panic attacks: I used to have an inferior complex in my younger days because I was obese. I avoided people and kept to myself. Anytime I went outdoors I always started breathing fast, sweating and feeling nervous because I felt people wouldn't accept me. All these are symptoms of panic attacks. Did it mean I was mental? No. All I did was lose weight and all that nonsense stopped.

Depression: This is a part of everyday life. Everybody feels depressed at one time or the other. Is depression mental illness? No.

Avoiding people: Introverts naturally avoid people. Everyone at one time or the other, want to be alone. This is a normal human behavior.

Mood swings: Everyone has mood swings all the time.

My conclusion: The writer has not given us sufficient information to clinically diagnose her condition as "mental illness". All I would prescribe for her is a good vacation and becoming more social.

Hara-kiri (& other similar deviant practices ) are contextual abnormal behaviors which are well accepted in a culture & norms of a society is not a mental abnormality, & it is long way different from suicide or deliberate self harm DSH done in a context of unstable mental state/poor judgment & which is culturally not acceptable

The definition of what you have up there is grief & is not same thing as depression. Please, take note that they are different

Panic-attacks is a well defined mental disorder which is treatable and responds to drugs with full remission
If what you have is not enough to cause you a distress or your functioning a setback, then you can't say you have it.

Do you know a lot of people who are obese but takes pride in their look?
Fine, maybe you don't meet the diagnostic criteria for Body Dysmorphic Disorder but you do know that you had issues then and you were not well adjusted. That you couldn't access health then because you didn't have the info does not mean now that you can discredit that such disease entity exist & is treatable

Please, let us exercise caution when we have little info about a contentious matter.

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by pekelepekele(m): 1:23am On Mar 17, 2013
Fly out of this country and you will be fine

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

88 COVID-19 Vaccination Centers In Lagos (full List) / Walnut As Panacea For Stress, Infections, Infertility / 10 Foods That Increase Sperm Count

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.