Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,455 members, 7,823,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (104) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (487974 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis021: 8:04pm On Jun 05, 2013
topzy2000:

Pls a quick question.

Going back to the embassy with my personal savings account worth 5.8Mil, hope it wont affect anything cos on my DS-160 form the sponsor is my Dad and I have his Fixed Deposit worth 7 Mil.

So if they ask me for my account statements, I should pass them both ? Hope they wont say the raw cash is in my name and I should be the sponsor not my dad.

Most importantly, I think its God's Favour o.... Was just thinking

What you've filled on your DS-160 form has to tally with what you present at the embassy. De Tus just got denied because of inconsistency in his sponsor. His I-20 read family funds as sponsor but he presented a company bank statement. The VO saw this and used it to deny him.

About the fixed deposit thing, I clearly remember reading on my school's Certificate of Finances Form (which I still have a copy) that they don't accept fixed deposit statements and loan statements. Which leads me to believe that the embassy might also be extending the same laws to their end. Remember you said the VO didn't look at your fixed deposit statement at all but instead went straight to the bank statement. And even when you pointed to her that you had a fixed deposit statement of N7M, she just nodded and still did not look at it. That should tell you something. Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I won't be repeating the same mistake. You either choose to use yourself as sponsor or your dad, or both of you.

If the fixed deposit of your dad is actually true, I remember advising you to go with your dad to meet his bank officer in the bank (there must be somebody in the bank your dad relates with very well. Or better still, go to the fixed deposit section of the bank and talk with the official in charge there. I myself have been running a fixed deposit since January last year. I know what i'm talking about) and asking him to drop some or all of the money into his current/savings account so that a fresh account statement of your dad's will be printed bearing the required sum the embassy wants to see, after which the money will quickly be taken out and returned to the fixed deposit investment. This whole process shouldn't last more than 30mins. I remember someone objecting to my suggestion, to which I replied that if your dad's current/savings account has deposits or balances of 3m, 4m, 5m etc in its history, then having 5m suddenly or 6m suddenly (out of his fixed deposit) won't raise a red flag. My aunt i'm staying with currently works in a bank and she did the same thing for a customer of hers who has 8m in fixed deposit. This her customer, Uju* also runs a savings account in the same bank. Uju was going to the UK to study and needed a bank statement of 7m for the embassy. She approached my aunt, my aunt dropped it into her account, printed her fresh bank statement and Uju took it for her interview. In this case, Uju was going to the UK embassy where they actually verify bank statements and balance, so my aunt had to allow the money run in Uju's account for the few number of days while she was on her interview. On Uju's return, my aunt took the money back to Uju's fixed deposit investment. But here, we're talking about the US embassy that doesn't usually verify bank statements. Which means that your dad's fixed deposit money doesn't have to be physically present in his current/savings account while you go for your interview. All you need is his bank statement reflecting the required sum.

Or better still, if your dad's account history is not in the tune of millions, he can have part of the fixed deposit(say N1.5m) transferred to his account then to yours, to make up the required 7m in your account. You can then say you're sponsoring yourself.

Yes, there's still the God's favour part but you still need to be ready on your own part. God can take it from there.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis021: 8:13pm On Jun 05, 2013
topzy2000:

O boi. Didnt see this till now. Called them and they said no dates.

Abeg remember the person that advised you to call make him give me advise na.

Try calling them again, preferably in the morning.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis021: 8:24pm On Jun 05, 2013
adewale3342:

Thanks @ bigfrancis21 in reality i had already started loosing hope but your simple words furthermore inspire me i will put in my best although i have a TOEFL score of 94 . i do know it is not too late to take a GRE test but i am presently working from Monday to Saturday if i did register GRE i would not have the ample time to study very well and have a good score . i will put in my best anyway thank you God bless

You're welcome. I'm expecting your interview success story soon.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Touchboi: 8:45pm On Jun 05, 2013
babsharon:
To be on α safer side, please defer your admission †̥o spring 2014 session.
Defer to Fall 2013 u mean.Cuz I tink his talking about his summer admission
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jun 05, 2013
Help, i wanna call the ETS tomorrow, to do the registration for toefl.. Can I use Wema bank mastercard ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ApachaiHopachai: 8:52pm On Jun 05, 2013
teejay_GO01:

Oh really? I guess I'll do that too then. Where did u book the delta:jkf-atl?

When do u guys think the emirates prices will go up? Or it'll still be like this for a while
I checked for the Delta on kayak and had a relative pay for me...cost about $159.
If that is not possible then go with the emirate to ATL...its still a fair price considering direct LOS to ATL on Delta.
Also about the price going up...it is expected because summer hols are here already...so my advice book and pay early.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 9:14pm On Jun 05, 2013
Amefrica: Help, i wanna call the ETS tomorrow, to do the registration for toefl.. Can I use Wema bank mastercard ?

They accept Visa card not mastercard, I did mine today via phone call and everything went well. Duration of Ur call should not be more than 12 †̥o 13 mins, please hurry up and book for TOEFL on time cos july is about †̥o finish if not u get August.
Cheers
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 9:17pm On Jun 05, 2013
Touchboi:
Defer to Fall 2013 u mean.Cuz I tink his talking about his summer admission

Yeah !!! I thought he is talking about Fall acceptance initially !!! Please defer †̥o fall 2013
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jun 05, 2013
babsharon:

They accept Visa card not mastercard, I did mine today via phone call and everything went well. Duration of Ur call should not be more than 12 †̥o 13 mins, please hurry up and book for TOEFL on time cos july is about †̥o finish if not u get August.
Cheers

Ok bro congratulations, after seeing the confirmation in my account n other stuff is it all.?. Plus i neva get my intl passport, will i need my passport during reg. ? These r my questions...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis021: 9:57pm On Jun 05, 2013
babsharon:

Cheers

MasterCard is also accepted. Don't give the people here wrong impression. Two people from this forum registered successfully using their GTB Mastercard.

I'm glad you made the call and registered successfully. Your testimony should encourage others who may be having doubts about registration by phone.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis021: 10:01pm On Jun 05, 2013
Amefrica:

Ok bro congratulations, after seeing the confirmation in my account n other stuff is it all.?. Plus i neva get my intl passport, will i need my passport during reg. ? These r my questions...

No, that's not all. You'll receive an email confirmation containing your exam ticket which you'll print and take to the exam centre on that day.

And no, the international passport is not required for registration. However, you'll need it for the exam.

Amefrica: Help, i wanna call the ETS tomorrow, to do the registration for toefl.. Can I use Wema bank mastercard ?

Try it first. It should work, since its issued by the same mastercard company that issues GTB mastercard. I can't really vouch for Wema's MasterCard though. If you could borrow a sibling's/friend's GTB ATM card and transfer the amount into their account in order to use it to pay, then you could be rest assured that you won't have to make that call twice.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jun 05, 2013
bigfrancis021:

No, that's not all. You'll receive an email confirmation containing your exam ticket which you'll print and take to the exam centre on that day.

And no, the international passport is not required for registration. However, you'll need it for the exam.

Try it first. It should work, since its issued by the same mastercard company that issues GTB mastercard. I can't really vouch for Wema's MasterCard though. If you could borrow a sibling's/friend's GTB ATM card and transfer the amount into their account in order to use it to pay, then you could be rest assured that you won't have to make that call twice.

thanks so much sir. Ur such a blessing..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by topzy2000: 10:46pm On Jun 05, 2013
bigfrancis021:

What you've filled on your DS-160 form has to tally with what you present at the embassy. De Tus just got denied because of inconsistency in his sponsor. His I-20 read family funds as sponsor but he presented a company bank statement. The VO saw this and used it to deny him.

About the fixed deposit thing, I clearly remember reading on my school's Certificate of Finances Form (which I still have a copy) that they don't accept fixed deposit statements and loan statements. Which leads me to believe that the embassy might also be extending the same laws to their end. Remember you said the VO didn't look at your fixed deposit statement at all but instead went straight to the bank statement. And even when you pointed to her that you had a fixed deposit statement of N7M, she just nodded and still did not look at it. That should tell you something. Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I won't be repeating the same mistake. You either choose to use yourself as sponsor or your dad, or both of you.

If the fixed deposit of your dad is actually true, I remember advising you to go with your dad to meet his bank officer in the bank (there must be somebody in the bank your dad relates with very well. Or better still, go to the fixed deposit section of the bank and talk with the official in charge there. I myself have been running a fixed deposit since January last year. I know what i'm talking about) and asking him to drop some or all of the money into his current/savings account so that a fresh account statement of your dad's will be printed bearing the required sum the embassy wants to see, after which the money will quickly be taken out and returned to the fixed deposit investment. This whole process shouldn't last more than 30mins. I remember someone objecting to my suggestion, to which I replied that if your dad's current/savings account has deposits or balances of 3m, 4m, 5m etc in its history, then having 5m suddenly or 6m suddenly (out of his fixed deposit) won't raise a red flag. My aunt i'm staying with currently works in a bank and she did the same thing for a customer of hers who has 8m in fixed deposit. This her customer, Uju* also runs a savings account in the same bank. Uju was going to the UK to study and needed a bank statement of 7m for the embassy. She approached my aunt, my aunt dropped it into her account, printed her fresh bank statement and Uju took it for her interview. In this case, Uju was going to the UK embassy where they actually verify bank statements and balance, so my aunt had to allow the money run in Uju's account for the few number of days while she was on her interview. On Uju's return, my aunt took the money back to Uju's fixed deposit investment. But here, we're talking about the US embassy that doesn't usually verify bank statements. Which means that your dad's fixed deposit money doesn't have to be physically present in his current/savings account while you go for your interview. All you need is his bank statement reflecting the required sum.

Or better still, if your dad's account history is not in the tune of millions, he can have part of the fixed deposit(say N1.5m) transferred to his account then to yours, to make up the required 7m in your account. You can then say you're sponsoring yourself.

Yes, there's still the God's favour part but you still need to be ready on your own part. God can take it from there.

Thanks a lot for the lengthy and detailed explanation. It opens up a lot of possibilities.

Am thinking of going with the option of co-sponsoring myself with my dad. I can raise my account to 6Mil + which is more than enough for my 1st year expenses and I believe I shouldn't have any problem cos I have been working for 5 years.

On the DS-160 form, there's no place for sponsorship, the only thing that looks close to it is "Person/Entity paying for Trip" which I can put as myself.

On my I-20, the source of Funds written is "Funds from another source" and what is filled is Family in Nigeria. The part for "Students personal funds is zero. This means I should get another I-20 from the school right reflecting my bank statement or what do you think?

Sorry say I just they ask plenty questions. This 2nd time has to be on point. I am resuming this Fall by the Special Grace of God...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 11:14pm On Jun 05, 2013
Amefrica:

Give it α trial as big francis has said, using GTB mastercard. Good luck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 11:20pm On Jun 05, 2013
ystd4567: @llasadem

Refer back to my post to ibkgbocco on page 90. The info you need is there.

Wow! How come I missed that handy tip. Thanks a lot. Getting an apointment date is the next hurdle. Will do as others suggested I.e via call. Hw far with your plans, When do you plan entering the US of A? All da best and hope I get it right this time o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by TLeo001: 1:44am On Jun 06, 2013
Hello house, Pls who has info about Montana Tech of the University of Montana and university of Alaska fairbanks. I want to apply to dose skulz as an undergraduate major in PET ENG... Abeg i need una advise abt their standard of education n d state. thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by gr8ever(m): 2:33am On Jun 06, 2013
T-Leo001:
Hello house, Pls who has info about Montana Tech of the University of Montana and university of Alaska fairbanks. I want to apply to dose skulz as an undergraduate major in PET ENG... Abeg i need una advise abt their standard of education n d state. thanks

There are many toolz online u can use to gather all the necessary info's you need about the schls like.....usnews, collegeboard, college prowler and student review.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by gr8ever(m): 2:35am On Jun 06, 2013
T-Leo001:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by dkgetmuny: 4:04am On Jun 06, 2013
bigfrancis021:

Emirates goes Atlanta, but when you land at JFK, they'll connect you to a Delta flight bound for Atlanta. Though booking on emirates from Lagos to Atlanta is expensive - $1706 or N271,254. I just booked LOS-ATL and saw $1706.
from what u said, emirates still doesnt go to atlanta...u still connect through JFK (delta)...and its an expensive package..@ApachaiHopachai got his total package for around 180k to atlanta, tru emirate to JFK and a local delta connectin flyt to AT. both a separate package
teejay_GO01 better u book now and prolly buy d tickets after ur interview
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by coachee1(m): 6:13am On Jun 06, 2013
coachee1: please am still waiting for your advices on my circumstance:::::::::guys, my interview is on 17th june that is in two weeks time but there are some things that i am afraid of concerning my interview. First of all, my statement was issued by a company who acts as my sponsor and employer. And since i am goin for an undergraduate course, it is expected that i will have to show the company's expected profit for sponsoring me, so i decided to make an employment letter, letter of leave/allowance for education abroad and letter of legal agreement with the company that after schooling that i will come back for my work. All these things are just to prove my tie to my country. Please is the us embassy going to verify all these documents. If yes what do i do please help me out guys. Please guys mek una yarn me .
guys pls advice me on how to go about this interview cos na only elev days to go. My age na twenty and ssce plus some cpmtr certificates be my highest edu level. So pls advice me on wt to expect and how to tackle dem....pls a, waitin...thanks peepz
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by hope4me2012: 6:13am On Jun 06, 2013
dkgetmuny:
from what u said, emirates still doesnt go to atlanta...u still connect through JFK (delta)...and its an expensive package..@ApachaiHopachai got his total package for around 180k to atlanta, tru emirate to JFK and a local delta connectin flyt to AT. both a separate package
teejay_GO01 better u book now and prolly buy d tickets after ur interview

You can only hold your booking with emirates for 3days without buying tickets according to teir website. so except his interview is in 3days time, buying ticket after interview may not be feasible.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 06, 2013
Has any school started receiving spring (January) semester application ? Or it's too early ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by 2chains1(m): 8:19am On Jun 06, 2013
Amefrica: Has any school started receiving spring (January) semester application ? Or it's too early ?

January is winter
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smartguy1759: 9:20am On Jun 06, 2013
Plz, let's take out time to pray for our pple going for their interview today...@ibkgboco is one of them...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 9:26am On Jun 06, 2013
2-chains:

January is winter

When is spring semester ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 9:27am On Jun 06, 2013
smartguy1759: Plz, let's take out time to pray for our pple going for their interview today...@ibkgboco is one of them...

their visa is approved.. They should pick it up in 5 business days..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 06, 2013
Amefrica:

their visa is approved.. They should pick it up in 5 business days..
Amen!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Datty85: 10:01am On Jun 06, 2013
My I-20 says family funds and I have a statement from a company which happens to be a family company and I own 15% of it. Will it be accepted at the embassy?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ystd4567: 10:05am On Jun 06, 2013
@llsadem,

You are welcome! Glad to know the tip was of help. I believe you should get an appointment date fixed if you try booking through phone call as suggested. For me, I intend leaving Nigeria on the 23rd of next month. I know you'll get it right this time by God's grace and favour. All the best!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olsmade(m): 10:24am On Jun 06, 2013
Amefrica:

When is spring semester ?

January. Spring itself doesnt begin till March though
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:31am On Jun 06, 2013
I think im gonna back out.. My school fee seems expensive to my dad.. 20000dollars, he's sayin apart 4rm d money 4 processin.. He cant afford d skul fee m fed up.. I wanted to register 4 toefl today...)::/
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 06, 2013
olsmade:

January. Spring itself doesnt begin till March though

i know right. someone wants to confuse me..

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.