Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (365) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (487939 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by idalex: 11:04pm On Sep 21, 2013
FIZIK: Just one month in the US and I had to use password help to log into my dear Nairaland.

Education is fast-paced and demanding, with loads of homework that makes me wonder if I am not gonna break down.
I understand why people rarely post when classes starts (not because they don't want to).
I am wondering how Imperiouxx et al does it.

My suggestion based on experience:
GTBank mastercard is accepted in most payment platforms.
Rather than having people do FX transfers from Nigeria with attendant transaction costs(fixed and %'s), You can have them pay into your Current/Savings account while you use the money here.
Note that for each ATM withdrawal, GT charges #1,000. so what I do is to take out a money order on my GT ATM at Walmart (60cents) or Wells fargo bank ($3 for 3 leaves) and deposit into my domestic checking account here where I don't incur ATM withdrawal charges.
You can take a maximum $5,000 out of your card in a day but you will be required to provide your passport if it exceeds $3,000 for the day.

Be outspoken,ask for clarifications when you do not understand.
Don't think your accent sucks because there are lots of Indians and Chinese who can barely speak the way you do. ( I have been told many times my English(British accent) is great and sometimes I like the idea of an American asking me ''What did you say?"wink
90% of my class composition are Chinese, 5% Indians and few Americans.
At first I wondered how they follow in class but you will be damned to write them off because they are really smart.
Do not isolate yourself, nobody sees you in that way.

I use a calling card (African King) when i call Nigeria.
45 minutes for $5.
Some of my friends use Keepcalling.com.
Its also cheap and convenient because you can pay online.
Skype(I mean purchasing skype credit and calling the Nigerian GSM) is most convenient if enabled on your mobile and not just on your computer.
For domestic calls, visit a cell phone carrier and get a plan tailored to your individual need.
Limit your international calls, you are here to study.
Be sure of what you subscribe to, bills add up real fast.

Be careful what you sign at the leasing office.
It may put you in bad rating if you don't follow through.
Judging by where we come from, you dont need a sea view or pool.
All apartments have relatively the basic amenities you need.
Off campus apartments are usually cheaper if its on the free bus route or you have a car/bike.

COOK, COOK and COOK.
Not only will stop overs at Mcdonald's and Subway for pizza and sandwitch drain your pocket, you'd be imagining how fast you got obese each time you look in the mirror(there's always a big one in the bathroom).
My groceries come from HEB and Walmart.
Basically Rice,egg, chicken, milk, bread.
Who has an idea of alternatives to Beans and garri which I order from Houston at a cost?
Convenience stores are not as good.
Come with condiments if you can.

Come prepared.
It takes money to settle in here no matter how you try to cut cost.
There are many side attractions, only you know your priority.
Maintain a positive outlook and Lastly NETWORK,
That's what you'd have left after graduation.

God bless Nairaland

Thanks for ur write-up, its really helpful. pls keep up ur good deeds & I wish u success in ur endeavors.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by JFdENIGMA: 11:07pm On Sep 21, 2013
I feel I owe this house a beef, sorry, I mean a brief after receiving my GRE score.

GRE: 309(Q155, V154) AW:3.5. I prepared leisurely for it like three weeks. My 1st Power Prep try before preparation was like 300-303
I intend applying to:

1MIT*
2CalTech*
3Yale
4T Austin
5TAMU
6MSU
7LSU
8. MI(UAE)

I sent my scores to 4, 5,6,7 on test day. For 1 & 2 I think I made mistake in my approach when I contacted them so I may take out 2. I may add Houstein in, I may also apply to University of Edinburg and Toronto depending . All things remaining as they should I will complete my application before the end of this coming week.

To add to what recent and past test takers in this house and in the old thread on GRE Preparation have been saying about materials. I will only like to add that your also consider RS Argawal quantitative material. I was opportune to use it for a day or two. It will help

Last: Schools that evaluate transcript themselves any clue on the method they use if they USE WES. I mean will it b favourable.

THANKS HOUSE!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mandybaby2007: 11:24pm On Sep 21, 2013
Goodevening house, my interview date is drawing close(nextweek) abeg whats d dress sense at the embassy like? i wish to enquire if wearing my normal three piece suit with a tie is over dressing? I am a girl but i use ties a lot, may sound amusing but i dont feel comfortable when i dont knot a tie to work, i use them to work mon-thur, fri is dress down, dunno how serious a place the embassy is, can i use my tie or mak i find simple skirt suit buy?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Tochium: 6:08am On Sep 22, 2013
mandybaby2007: Goodevening house, my interview date is drawing close(nextweek) abeg whats d dress sense at the embassy like? i wish to enquire if wearing my normal three piece suit with a tie is over dressing? I am a girl but i use ties a lot, may sound amusing but i dont feel comfortable when i dont knot a tie to work, i use them to work mon-thur, fri is dress down, dunno how serious a place the embassy is, can i use my tie or mak i find simple skirt suit buy?

There is no particular dress code, the most important thing is for you to appear neat and decent. As u said that knotting ur tie makes you comfortable, I will suggest u knot ur tie.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 6:27am On Sep 22, 2013
mandybaby2007: Goodevening house, my interview date is drawing close(nextweek) abeg whats d dress sense at the embassy like? i wish to enquire if wearing my normal three piece suit with a tie is over dressing? I am a girl but i use ties a lot, may sound amusing but i dont feel comfortable when i dont knot a tie to work, i use them to work mon-thur, fri is dress down, dunno how serious a place the embassy is, can i use my tie or mak i find simple skirt suit buy?
There's no particular dress code, the most important thing is to dress nice, clean and comfortable. If wearing of a tie will make you look comfortable please go ahead and wear it. But you they try sha woman with tie mon-thur
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Tochium: 7:11am On Sep 22, 2013
[quote author=FIZIK]Just one month in the US and I had to use password help to log into my dear Nairaland.

Education is fast-paced and demanding, with loads of homework that makes me wonder if I am not gonna break down.
I understand why people rarely post when classes starts (not because they don't want to).
I am wondering how Imperiouxx et al does it.

GTBank mastercard is accepted in most payment platforms.
Rather than having people do FX transfers from Nigeria with attendant transaction costs(fixed and %'s), You can have them pay into your Current/Savings account while you use the money here.
Note that for each ATM withdrawal, GT charges #1,000. so what I do is to take out a money order on my GT ATM at Walmart (60cents) or Wells fargo bank ($3 for 3 leaves) and deposit into my domestic checking account here where I don't incur ATM withdrawal charges.
You can take a maximum $5,000 out of your card in a day but you will be required to provide your passport if it exceeds $3,000 for the day.

Don't think your accent sucks because there are lots of Indians and Chinese who can barely speak the way you do. ( I have been told many times my English(British accent) is great and sometimes I like the idea of an American asking me ''What did you say?"wink
90% of my class composition are Chinese, 5% Indians and few Americans.
At first I wondered how they follow in class but you will be damned to write them off because they are really smart.
Do not isolate yourself, nobody sees you in that way.

45 minutes for $5.
Some of my friends use Keepcalling.com.
Its also cheap and convenient because you can pay online.
Skype(I mean purchasing skype credit and calling the Nigerian GSM) is most convenient if enabled on your mobile and not just on your computer.
For domestic calls, visit a cell phone carrier and get a plan tailored to your individual need.
Limit your international calls, you are here to study.
Be sure of what you subscribe to, bills add up real fast.

It may put you in bad rating if you don't follow through.
Judging by where we come from, you dont need a sea view or pool.
All apartments have relatively the basic amenities you need.
Off campus apartments are usually cheaper if its on the free bus route or you have a car/bike.

COOK, COOK and COOK.
Not only will stop overs at Mcdonald's and Subway for pizza and sandwitch drain your pocket, you'd be imagining how fast you got obese each time you look in the mirror(there's always a big one in the bathroom).
My groceries come from HEB and Walmart.
Basically Rice,egg, chicken, milk, bread.
Who has an idea of alternatives to Beans and garri which I order from Houston at a cost?
Convenience stores are not as good.
Come with condiments if you can.

Come prepared.
Maintain a positive outlook and Lastly NETWORK,
That's what you'd have left after graduation.

God bless Nairaland

Is it possible to do a part time job inspite of all these?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 7:28am On Sep 22, 2013
Tochium: Is it possible to do a part time job inspite of all these?

Yes it's very possible if you like to be sent back home immediately you are caught.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 8:04am On Sep 22, 2013
imperiouxx:

Yes it's very possible if you like to be sent back home immediately you are caught.

cheesy cheesy cheesy Imperiouxx!!! U no nice o. Guess he wanted to add *on-camp job* I hail u bo$$ and like FIZIK said, I also wonder how you do it. We need to talk sef...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 8:09am On Sep 22, 2013
JFdENIGMA: I feel I owe this house a beef, sorry, I mean a brief after receiving my GRE score.

GRE: 309(Q155, V154) AW:3.5. I prepared leisurely for it like three weeks. My 1st Power Prep try before preparation was like 300-303
I intend applying to:

1MIT*
2CalTech*
3Yale
4T Austin
5TAMU
6MSU
7LSU
8. MI(UAE)

I sent my scores to 4, 5,6,7 on test day. For 1 & 2 I think I made mistake in my approach when I contacted them so I may take out 2. I may add Houstein in, I may also apply to University of Edinburg and Toronto depending . All things remaining as they should I will complete my application before the end of this coming week.

To add to what recent and past test takers in this house and in the old thread on GRE Preparation have been saying about materials. I will only like to add that your also consider RS Argawal quantitative material. I was opportune to use it for a day or two. It will help

Last: Schools that evaluate transcript themselves any clue on the method they use if they USE WES. I mean will it b favourable.

THANKS HOUSE!!

You murdered that GRE mehn.. Congrats bro..

Those your schools na die ooooo..

Which of the MSU are you talking about?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 8:14am On Sep 22, 2013
FIZIK: Just one month in the US and I had to use password help to log into my dear Nairaland.

I am wondering how Imperiouxx et al does it... I wonder too

GTBank mastercard is accepted in most payment platforms...

Don't think your accent sucks because there are lots of Indians and Chinese who can barely speak the way you do....

45 minutes for $5. WHAT

It may put you in bad rating if you don't follow through....

Off campus apartments are usually cheaper if its on the free bus route or you have a car/bike....

COOK, COOK and COOK...

Come prepared.

God bless Nairaland
God bless you too

1,000,000 likes but work on the bolded o... Safe bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 8:16am On Sep 22, 2013
imperiouxx:

But I thought students are PERMITTED to work on campus during term hours and can work off campus during holidays... Is that not the law in the US?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 8:20am On Sep 22, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

But I thought students are PERMITTED to work on campus during term hours and can work off campus during holidays... Is that not the law in the US?

Correct but guess off campus during CPT or OPT
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 8:24am On Sep 22, 2013
valentino81: what of the age range btw 31-35 yrs going for Masters? Any complication? If both Toefl and GMAT has been taken and well passed?

Masters is an Advanced degree, so in other words, it won't call for any restriction of age limit..

You must really be on point, for taking both TOEFL and GMAT.. That's veryy good.

You are Good to go bro...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 8:26am On Sep 22, 2013
lisadem:

Thanks for clarifying that out bro.. #Noted!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:39am On Sep 22, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

Int'l students only work off campus during breaks as in internship or during CPT/OPT. Apart from all these, I won't dispute it that the person might be tired of snacking on burger and like to snack on more Garri lebu + sugar. undecided
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:43am On Sep 22, 2013
lisadem:

cheesy cheesy cheesy Imperiouxx!!! U no nice o. Guess he wanted to add *on-camp job* I hail u bo$$ and like FIZIK said, I also wonder how you do it. We need to talk sef...

Yes sir, I'm always available.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 9:05am On Sep 22, 2013
imperiouxx:

Int'l students only work off campus during breaks as in internship or during CPT/OPT. Apart from all these, I won't dispute it that the person might be tired of snacking on burger and like to snack on more Garri lebu + sugar. undecided

Okay. Cool. Thnx bro...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mandybaby2007: 9:43am On Sep 22, 2013
kunlebal:
There's no particular dress code, the most important thing is to dress nice, clean and comfortable. If wearing of a tie will make you look comfortable please go ahead and wear it. But you they try sha woman with tie mon-thur

Loll@Kunlebal some girls are like that, some of my male coliqs give me dier tie to knot for them every morning nd I Love helping them, my boss nd 1oda coliqs gave me a tie as my birthday gift earlier ds month.
Eva Since i stumbled on this thread i have been rehearsing questions and answers my interview is 1week away i neva reach VO front nervousness wan kil me already, think i wil boro my lil brother's medicated glasses 2use so dt i pass off as a nerd they won't ask too many questions if i look nerdish loll
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 10:48am On Sep 22, 2013
mandybaby2007:

Loll@Kunlebal some girls are like that, some of my male coliqs give me dier tie to knot for them every morning nd I Love helping them, my boss nd 1oda coliqs gave me a tie as my birthday gift earlier ds month.
Eva Since i stumbled on this thread i have been rehearsing questions and answers my interview is 1week away i neva reach VO front nervousness wan kil me already, think i wil boro my lil brother's medicated glasses 2use so dt i pass off as a nerd they won't ask too many questions if i look nerdish loll
that's very funny, what course are you going for and which school. Wish you best of luck baby girl
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Tochium: 11:39am On Sep 22, 2013
imperiouxx:

You seem to misunderstand me, I mean on-campus job. I know it is not illegal to work 20hrs per week on-campus
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by sannytex: 11:44am On Sep 22, 2013
i hell all d gurus in d house imperioux and ordas.i am having diffecutist now,and i am confuse where to book my appointment if lagos or abuja.i ve gotten my 1.20 and d school dat gave me admission is NOrtheastern state university,i still want to if it is a red flag in d embssy.pls help me out in dis
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Tochium: 11:45am On Sep 22, 2013
lisadem:

The school I am processing said in severe hardship that the student may be permitted to work off campus. The ISO will assist the student in filing for that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mandybaby2007: 11:46am On Sep 22, 2013
Tochium:

There is no particular dress code, the most important thing is for you to appear neat and decent. As u said that knotting ur tie makes you comfortable, I will suggest u knot ur tie.
kunlebal:
that's very funny, what course are you going for and which school. Wish you best of luck baby girl

@Tochium thanx, @Kunlebal Msc Economics and Finance Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by sannytex: 11:46am On Sep 22, 2013
sannytex: i hell all d gurus in d house imperioux and ordas.i am having diffecutist now,and i am confuse where to book my appointment if lagos or abuja.i ve gotten my 1.20 and d school dat gave me admission is NOrtheastern state university,i still want to if it is a red flag in d embssy.pls help me out in dis
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by sannytex: 11:56am On Sep 22, 2013
i hell all d gurus in d house imperioux and ordas.i am having diffecutist now,and i am confuse where to book my appointment if lagos or abuja.i ve gotten my 1.20 and pay for my sevis in d u.s d school dat gave me admission is NOrtheastern state university,i still want to if it is a red flag in d embssy.pls help me out in dis.i just wana be sure on what am doing.thanx for everything d helps u guys are giving here God will reward u all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 12:20pm On Sep 22, 2013
mandybaby2007:

@Tochium thanx, @Kunlebal Msc Economics and Finance Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
That's cool, all the best
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 12:25pm On Sep 22, 2013
sannytex: i hell all d gurus in d house imperioux and ordas.i am having diffecutist now,and i am confuse where to book my appointment if lagos or abuja.i ve gotten my 1.20 and pay for my sevis in d u.s d school dat gave me admission is NOrtheastern state university,i still want to if it is a red flag in d embssy.pls help me out in dis.i just wana be sure on what am doing.thanx for everything d helps u guys are giving here God will reward u all.
Lagos or Abuja, it depend on your location. Choose one and pray to God for favour.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 12:37pm On Sep 22, 2013
sannytex: i hell all d gurus in d house imperioux and ordas.i am having diffecutist now,and i am confuse where to book my appointment if lagos or abuja.i ve gotten my 1.20 and pay for my sevis in d u.s d school dat gave me admission is NOrtheastern state university,i still want to if it is a red flag in d embssy.pls help me out in dis.i just wana be sure on what am doing.thanx for everything d helps u guys are giving here God will reward u all.

Calm down bro. You are on the right Track.

Your school is a state university which is funded by the government and DEFINATELY a good and ACCEPTABLE school @ the Embassy.

So nothing for you to worry about.

Also, Regarding the appoinment location issue, my brother I will advice you choose any location closer to your home of residence. If you stay in lagos, Book your appointment in Lagos, and vice-versa.

Location of Embassies doesn't determine the rate of Visa success! I have seen so many peeps get DENIED @ Both Lagos and Abuja Embassies and I have also seen many peeps get their Visas APPORVED @ both Lagos and Abuja as well..

So, you can see it is a 50-50 chance. It's all God's Favour you need. Just pick the one that will be more convenient for you. And make sure you prepare hard for the interview by reading from part 1 of this thread and read different success stories of peeps, so you can get to learn and tackle some issues and get familiar with the Interview questions and Fomats and you also get the golden opportunity of building your confidence by doing so. You should be Fine...

Cheers bro..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 2:58pm On Sep 22, 2013
Tochium:

You seem to misunderstand me, I mean on-campus job. I know it is not illegal to work 20hrs per week on-campus

I didn't misunderstand your question, you're the one that stated your question wrongly. However, sorry for the whole misconception. Yes, you can do on campus job starting from your first semester if you are smart to get one.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by sannytex: 3:57pm On Sep 22, 2013
thanks broda i appreciate alot for the kind gesture.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Tochium: 3:59pm On Sep 22, 2013
imperiouxx:

I didn't misunderstand your question, you're the one that stated your question wrongly. However, sorry for the whole misconception. Yes, you can do on campus job starting from your first semester if you are smart to get one.

No wahala!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by seunolumonday(f): 6:23pm On Sep 22, 2013
Wow,Got a surprise visit from an NL member,Mckenzii came 2 see mii Namesake mii thanks 4 coming but angry at u,u didnt eat my iyan and efo riro.@Amefrica pls ping me now now

(1) (2) (3) ... (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.