Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,917 members, 7,835,065 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (395) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (488565 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (392) (393) (394) (395) (396) (397) (398) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by sholay2011(m): 10:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
Reincarnated:

I was invited undecided
Okay undecided

grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Graviton(m): 11:59pm On Oct 11, 2013
sholay2011:
Okay undecided

grin grin grin
how'd it go?, could you maybe give us a testimonial, a lot of people can learn from your experience(I for one) mine's on the 9th of November and I'm still struggling with Admission essays...
Dang!, the essays probe so deep into your life and I have decided not to tell lies
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Tohpeh(m): 12:57pm On Oct 12, 2013
Anyone help plss, I studied plant physiology and graduated wt 2.1 intending to do my masters(public health) in d US. Want to ask, in wat way are both those courses related....wat are my chances of gaining an admission to public health? Ur swift response wil be appreciated...tnx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 1:24pm On Oct 12, 2013
Tohpeh: Anyone help plss, I studied plant physiology and graduated wt 2.1 intending to do my masters(public health) in d US. Want to ask, in wat way are both those courses related....wat are my chances of gaining an admission to public health? Ur swift response wil be appreciated...tnx

What's the meaning of 2.1? State the exact CGPA for us to get you right.

Some biomedical or medical related courses will ask for a background in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology or psychology.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by WildChild00(m): 1:33pm On Oct 12, 2013
imperiouxx:

What's the meaning of 2.1? State the exact CGPA for us to get you right.

Some biomedical or medical related courses will ask for a background in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology or psychology.

I think he meant second class upper division.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 1:54pm On Oct 12, 2013
WildChild00:

I think he meant second class upper division.

Yea, still that isn't clear. He should say the exact figures (CGPA = 3.50 or 4.49), so that we know his stand on 4 points scale.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by WildChild00(m): 2:08pm On Oct 12, 2013
imperiouxx:

Yea, still that isn't clear. He should say the exact figures (CGPA = 3.50 or 4.49), so that we know his stand on 4 points scale.

Oh, you're right.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:08pm On Oct 12, 2013
grin What's going on here I don miss. Couple of eaten post..

I see u dolapo..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by electronic(m): 7:37pm On Oct 12, 2013
@imperiouxx!!

(still!! can't decipher the meaning of ur username grin ).lol....

Well Since you have real time experience cool, do you think a Gp of 4/5 . stands a chance for RA/TA (Msc or PHD).....I studied Elect/Elect.
I know the whole system is complex and competitive ! But your answer would be more practical.

I'm not applying to those IVY Leagues anyway. I don't have that kind of money to Gamble!!

I know of WES though, but I don't know If my GP wld put me in the 3.5/4. range.
I have to try and publish angry to boost my chances, or atleast submit a paper to some online journal..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 12, 2013
electronic: @imperiouxx!!

Well Since you have real time experience cool, do you think a Gp of 4/5 . stands a chance for RA/TA (Msc or PHD).....I studied Elect/Elect.
I know the whole system is complex and competitive ! But your answer would be more practical.

I'm not applying to those IVY Leagues anyway. I don't have that kind of money to Gamble!!

I have to try and publish angry to boost my chances, or atleast submit a paper to some online journal..

Wow! We have an electrician in the house.. Little wonder ur moniker is electronic..

I'm scared of electrocution! embarassed HELP!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by electronic(m): 7:47pm On Oct 12, 2013
Amefrica:

Wow! We have an electrician in the house.. Little wonder ur moniker is electronic..

I'm scared of electrocution! embarassed HELP!!!

Easy Man! This Circuit is well grounded!! cool
Amefrica you no go kill person!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 12, 2013
electronic:

Easy Man! This Circuit is well grounded!! cool
Amefrica you no go kill person!!

Hahahahaha!!! grin aint qanna happen.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 9:04pm On Oct 12, 2013

Same thing you're thinking

IMPERIOUS = domineering, authoritarian, high-handed, commanding, imperial..... whatever.

lolz... That's my online RPG (role playing games) username.

Sure you will be slightly more than that. Your CGPA is good, even nice for the ivy league schools. If you're considering PhD, the RA or TA is certain without objection. But for MS, you will be given GA and your graduate coordinator will determine what role is given to you. Instructor of record (TA) is usually given to those in their second semester (they have used to the American teaching ethics). You might be given an assistant instructor of record role (till you know the their teaching ethics and your English is understood by Americans) or to assistant in grading or to help in preparing the labs.

However, CGPA is not the only criteria that gets one graduate assistantship, your GRE score, SOP and in some case your reference letters altogether work the assistantship.

Best of luck!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by crespo67: 9:19pm On Oct 12, 2013

Bros,am glad baba imperiouxx has told u now...don't knw why u scared of applying to the top notch skulz..allz left is to throw in doze stellar GRE scores and d tight SOP...my cuz in TAMU made a 2.2 from a Nigeria skul wiv a GRE score of 313..and he's doing his masters in pet engr and currently on an RA...bros,all dis long stories is to say dat u tight....last last,na d favor of God win am...cheers man...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by crespo67: 9:19pm On Oct 12, 2013

Bros,am glad baba imperiouxx has told u now...don't knw why u scared of applying to the top notch skulz..allz left is to throw in doze stellar GRE scores and d tight SOP...my cuz in TAMU made a 2.2 from a Nigeria skul wiv a GRE score of 313..and he's doing his masters in pet engr and currently on an RA...bros,all dis long stories is to say dat u tight....last last,na d favor of God win am...cheers man...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by electronic(m): 9:20pm On Oct 12, 2013
imperiouxx:

Same you're thinking

IMPERIOUS = domineering, authoritarian, high-handed, commanding, imperial..... whatever.

lolz... That's my online RPG (role playing games) username.

Sure you will be slightly morething than that. Your CGPA is good, even nice for the ivy league schools. If you're considering PhD, the RA or TA is certain without objection. But for MS, you will be given GA and your graduate coordinator will determine what role is given to you. Instructor of record (TA) is usually given to those in their second semester (they have used to the American teaching ethics). You might be given an assistant instructor of record role (till you know the their teaching ethics and your English is understood by Americans) or to assistant in grading or to help in preparing the labs.

However, CGPA is not the only criteria that gets one graduate assistantship, your GRE score, SOP and in some case your reference letters altogether work the assistantship.

Best of luck!

I feel ur RPG!! grin
Thanks for the advice bro!! I can get some good RECOS, SOP, GRE (hard work 4 High scores though)
Am more settled now cool cool
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by crespo67: 9:27pm On Oct 12, 2013

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by xandy84: 10:03pm On Oct 12, 2013
bro, i sent an empty mail and i did receive a mail with the downloading link and i downloaded it but i cant open the file because it not on pdf but nrg and i dont know what software that will open such file.. please help a brother

bigfrancis21:

Send an empty email to selfstudy360@gmail.com and you'll receive an email containing TOEFl download links.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by frankie2K(m): 10:24pm On Oct 12, 2013
Hello House,

First I dey hail everyone. Imperiouxx, BigFrancis and co,please look into my case;it has bothered me much.Before i begin let me share my profile
a) I am 29 years old.
b) I graduated from secondary school in 2002.
c) Got admitted to ASP to study Computer science(2003) and graduated in 2006 and obtained OND
d) Finished my Industrial Attachment in 2007.
e) I was readmitted in the same polytechnic in 2007, I studied Computer Science from 2007 - 2010 and obtained HND in computer science.
f) I enrolled in an online class in 2010 - 2011 in a Swedish university and obtained a certificate in Intelligent Technology-Computation and the Brain and Cognitive Science respectively.
g) Went for the mandatory NYSC from 2011 - 2012.
h) I enrolled into another Swedish University (online) in 2012 and currently studying some course(Advanced programming with C# and VB.net respectively)
i) I am also teaching Computer science in a high school down here. I designed a program that computes student's result and manage database of various departments in the school.
j) I also help my sponsor in his company to IT related issues.
k) Took TOEFL test last month(not prepared well due to time) and scored 80 points.

Now, I applied to Baylor University and I received a part funding ($4000). I applied for transfer applicant and I paid the deposit only for the i-20 to be scanned to me to check whether my name was spelt correctly and I discovered that I was Admitted to study at Bachelor's level and a duration of 48 months to complete the study.I have paid for the i-20 to be sent via courier I am confused,My question goes like this:

1) Will Age affect my visa issuance?
2) Will the bachelors I got admits jeopardize my chance of getting visa considering age and time i left secondary school?
3) My maternal uncle is sponsoring me with a different surname, how do i defend my self in the embassy?
4) What steps will i take now for visa booking?
Please help me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 11:46pm On Oct 12, 2013
frankie2K:
2) Will the bachelors I got admits jeopardize my chance of getting visa considering age and time i left secondary school?
3) My maternal uncle is sponsoring me with a different surname, how do i defend my self in the embassy?

1) Your age shouldn't be much big deal, those that are older than you got it, even with the same BS. Your luck matters too.
2) Chances of getting visa with MS is brighter than that of BS but individual case is unique.
3) Anyone can sponsor you inasmuch you can prove beyond any reasonable doubt why your uncle is responsible for paying for your studies.
4) It's almost 2 years that I last scheduled visa date, so I know nothing anymore about that.
5) Best of luck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 12:13am On Oct 13, 2013
frankie2K: Hello House,

First I dey hail everyone. Imperiouxx, BigFrancis and co,please look into my case;it has bothered me much.Before i begin let me share my profile
a) I am 29 years old.
b) I graduated from secondary school in 2002.
c) Got admitted to ASP to study Computer science(2003) and graduated in 2006 and obtained OND
d) Finished my Industrial Attachment in 2007.
e) I was readmitted in the same polytechnic in 2007, I studied Computer Science from 2007 - 2010 and obtained HND in computer science.
f) I enrolled in an online class in 2010 - 2011 in a Swedish university and obtained a certificate in Intelligent Technology-Computation and the Brain and Cognitive Science respectively.
g) Went for the mandatory NYSC from 2011 - 2012.
h) I enrolled into another Swedish University (online) in 2012 and currently studying some course(Advanced programming with C# and VB.net respectively)
i) I am also teaching Computer science in a high school down here. I designed a program that computes student's result and manage database of various departments in the school.
j) I also help my sponsor in his company to IT related issues.
k) Took TOEFL test last month(not prepared well due to time) and scored 80 points.

Now, I applied to Baylor University and I received a part funding ($4000). I applied for transfer applicant and I paid the deposit only for the i-20 to be scanned to me to check whether my name was spelt correctly and I discovered that I was Admitted to study at Bachelor's level and a duration of 48 months to complete the study.I have paid for the i-20 to be sent via courier I am confused,My question goes like this:

I think imperiouxx has given you a response to your inquiry..

Regarding the Visa Booking, You will need your SEVIS NO and your School Code to Book appointment which is BOLDLY Written on your Scanned i-20 which was sent to you.

Also, You have to pay #26,400 @ any GTBank Branch and tell em you want to pay For US Visa. And they will ask you what category and you tell the Banker - ACADEMICS.

You will be Given a Reference No @ the Bank and that is the number you will use for Booking your Visa appointment.

With Your Sevis No and your School Code, You can FULLY fill your DS 160 form and generate your Application ID.

This application ID which you generated from the DS 160 form you filled online is what you will include on the Visa appointment Window to book your appointment..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 6:13am On Oct 13, 2013
Please help me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/quote]
You can use the scan copy of your I-20 to book for your visa interview, every information you need is inside it already, your sevis number is by the right of your I-20 n by left side towards down of your I-20 is where your school code is.
Just go to any Gtbank and make payment for student-academic visa fee, but I got one question of you why bsc again when you have better chances of getting your visa through msc.
You need to explain to the VO what you have been doing all this while(fill the Gap)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by vitus101: 6:14am On Oct 13, 2013
bigfrancis21:

There's nothing cumbersome about M.Sc application. Unless you just don't want to do M.sc. Age is no longer on your side to go for B.Sc and you stand a better chance of getting the visa at the embassy at your age if you go for M.Sc.

2.83 will get you somewhere between 2.80 and 2.90 over 4 points on the US scale which is still ok. Some US schools have 2.5 and 2.7 as minimum CGPA requirements. Here are 2 of them:
1) 1005 Auburn university, Alabama(2.50 GPA, requires good GRE, and TOEFL for GA)
2) 4389 California State University, Long beach (2.7/4.0 for your last 60units work, GRE is required) $29836 per session.
3) Lamar university. .2.5/4.0, GRE V+Q =1100, Q = 700.

You can check them out.

If your final year and 4th/3rd year CGPA(if 5 years or 4 years course respectively) are good and up to 3.0/4.0 you might want to apply to schools that look ONLY at final and penultimate years and demand for at least 3.0/4.0 from those two years. One of such schools is:
3) University of Illinois, Chicago, 3.0/4.0 from latter half of academic program, $8949 per semester).

BigFrancis thanks so much for the breakdown..Well, my 3rd/4th year GPA (not CGPA) are in the 3-point range.. I ve noted the schools you recommended..I ll check them out.

I guess I have to start prep for GRE..

.. Thanks. Y'all

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by vitus101: 6:22am On Oct 13, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Send an empty email to selfstudy360@gmail.com and you'll receive an email containing TOEFl download links.

Can I follow the same process and get materials for GRE?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:00am On Oct 13, 2013
@frankie2k, i don't think you have much problems. What language did you use in designing this program? Are you equally good at SQL or C++? Am thinking of taking any of these certified exams but i have no clue regarding past questions.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 8:39am On Oct 13, 2013
kunlebal:
You can use the scan copy of your I-20 to book for your visa interview, every information you need is inside it already, your sevis number is by the right of your I-20 n by left side towards down of your I-20 is where your school code is.
Just go to any Gtbank and make payment for student-academic visa fee, but I got one question of you why bsc again when you have better chances of getting your visa through msc.
You need to explain to the VO what you have been doing all this while(fill the Gap)

Yea, that's 100% right.. It totally escaped my mind that the School code is BOLDLY written on his i-20..

#Noted...

And Morever, he would be Better Off if he goes in for Masters because he has got a very good Profile!

(1) (2) (3) ... (392) (393) (394) (395) (396) (397) (398) ... (401)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.