Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,475 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (396) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (487610 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (393) (394) (395) (396) (397) (398) (399) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 8:40am On Oct 13, 2013
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 8:41am On Oct 13, 2013
vitus101:

Can I follow the same process and get materials for GRE?
Yes you can do that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Graviton(m): 12:32pm On Oct 13, 2013
anyone currently filling the SAT registration form?...I have a question
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by shynepapin101: 3:05pm On Oct 13, 2013
I'm saying a big thanks to ppl out here, you guys have being so straight to point, hiting dos nail at the point, it's being so gud to be a part of dis. It's being a good ride.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by frankie2K(m): 3:07pm On Oct 13, 2013
imperiouxx:

1) Your age shouldn't be much big deal, those that are older than you got it, even with the same BS. Your luck matters too.
2) Chances of getting visa with MS is brighter than that of BS but individual case is unique.
3) Anyone can sponsor you inasmuch you can prove beyond any reasonable doubt why your uncle is responsible for paying for your studies.
4) It's almost 2 years that I last scheduled visa date, so I know nothing anymore about that.
5) Best of luck

Imperiouxx ,
Thanks so much for you advice, i appreciate it. But coming to the issue of MS, I wrote to many schools and applied to four schools, I asked them whether I am eligible for MS and all of them replied Negative advising me to go for a transfer BS program
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by frankie2K(m): 3:36pm On Oct 13, 2013
De Tus: @frankie2k, i don't think you have much problems. What language did you use in designing this program? Are you equally good at SQL or C++? Am thinking of taking any of these certified exams but i have no clue regarding past questions.

It seems you are into IT. I used VB.NET to design the Program and I used the WAMPSERVER application as my Database. If you are a beginner in programming, C++ may be advanced and some how difficult for you to learn . so i advice you go into .NET technologies(excluding C++.Net). I suggest you start with C#.Net or VB.Net so as to learn the various syntax of programming and how you can comfortably create classes or modules, then learn database programming, when you are done, then you start learning the Oracle or SQL technologies then you are good to go. If you want to enroll into the swedish online studies, open an account with them at www.studera.nu or www.universitystudies.se. it was free of charge when i started with them but i think they now charge some money now. I wish you success in your programming days.KUDOS!!!!!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Walspring: 4:22pm On Oct 13, 2013
Graviton: anyone currently filling the SAT registration form?...I have a question

what's your question bor? You cant fill SAT online only if u are retaking the SAT cos only one accredited place in nigeria u can register for SAT and dont patronise agent ooo .. Pm me for your question.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:39pm On Oct 13, 2013
frankie2K:

Imperiouxx ,
Thanks so much for you advice, i appreciate it. But coming to the issue of MS, I wrote to many schools and applied to four schools, I asked them whether I am eligible for MS and all of them replied Negative advising me to go for a transfer BS program

I guess you didn't do your research very well. With your HND, you should be able to get a school even if it's not high ranked school or you got to do transcript evaluation. What they like to see is the US conversion grades and verification of the transcript.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 13, 2013
@frankie, noted. Thnk u so much. I'm not a novice in programming :-)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obotubong: 8:23pm On Oct 13, 2013
my interview is on the 23rd but i just noticed that the initial statement i got from my uncle ended in may cos i deferred my admission after he gave me the statement. the prob i have now is dat he is not presently in the country and its his name on the i20 as my sponsor and dat was wat i filled in my ds160. i dont no wat to do brodas pls advice me. the statement he gave me ran from dec 2012 - may 2013
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 13, 2013
@obo, did you inform your uncle before deferring your application?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 9:32pm On Oct 13, 2013
@bigfrancis & imperiouxx i need a reliable information about this course {Acturial science}
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 9:52pm On Oct 13, 2013
smithjanetstore: @bigfrancis & imperiouxx i need a reliable information about this course {Acturial science}

A department between Mathematics + Statistics. I think they also offer it in Unilag.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by xandy84: 9:56pm On Oct 13, 2013
@bigfrancis & imperiouxx

Students required to take the GRE must meet the institutional GRE and GPA standard according to the formula (GPA X 50) + GRE Verbal + GRE Quantitative =/or greater than 428.

please house, help me analyse the statement above.. Am preparing for GRE and my choice is Lamar university and i really dont know what i have to score to get admission
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 10:15pm On Oct 13, 2013
xandy84: @bigfrancis & imperiouxx

Students required to take the GRE must meet the institutional GRE and GPA standard according to the formula (GPA X 50) + GRE Verbal + GRE Quantitative =/or greater than 428.

please house, help me analyse the statement above.. Am preparing for GRE and my choice is Lamar university and i really dont know what i have to score to get admission

It's straight forward, saying your Nigeria CGPA converted to US 4 points scale is 3.29
GRE verbal is 159
GRE Qualitative is 159

Using their formula

(GPA X 50) + GRE Verbal + GRE Quantitative

= 3.29 x 50 + 159 +159
= 482.5 more than their minimum

It means if your CGPA multiplicity as above is 164.5, your GRE score total should be 263.5 and above
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by xandy84: 10:31pm On Oct 13, 2013
bros no vex.. What is 3.08 in naija GP going to be in scale of 4.0? Thanks

imperiouxx:

It's straight forward, saying your Nigeria CGPA converted to US 4 points scale is 3.29
GRE verbal is 159
GRE Qualitative is 159

Using their formula

(GPA X 50) + GRE Verbal + GRE Quantitative

= 3.29 x 50 + 159 +159
= 482.5 more than their minimum

It means if your CGPA multiplicity as above is 164.5, your GRE score total should be 263.5 and above
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obotubong: 10:42pm On Oct 13, 2013
De Tus: @obo, did you inform your uncle before deferring your application?

i did inform him about my deferred admission but he didnt inform me he was travelling and even i didn't reason then dat it would take this long to go for the interview. so right now i am confused. i need solutions cos telling the VO dat my uncle wasn't available to give me updated statement may sound like he also wouldn't be available to pay my tuition when the time arrives.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 10:42pm On Oct 13, 2013
xandy84: bros no vex.. What is 3.08 in naija GP going to be in scale of 4.0? Thanks

Someone posted a free website for conversion some days ago. However, that should be in range of 2.5 to 2.6, I'm not sure.

Nice, got it from my history http://www.foreigncredits.com/Resources/GPA-Calculator/

Implication of your CGPA is that you'll need to tight your belt very well or look for suspenders for your jeans pant on the GRE day.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 12:38am On Oct 14, 2013
crespo67:
Bros Biggy...thanks somuch bro.......thanks for ur kind advice bro...I wud sure make wise use of it....cheers man....

You're welcome. Cheers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 12:42am On Oct 14, 2013
Tohpeh: Anyone help plss, I studied plant physiology and graduated wt 2.1 intending to do my masters(public health) in d US. Want to ask, in wat way are both those courses related....wat are my chances of gaining an admission to public health? Ur swift response wil be appreciated...tnx

Hello Tohpeh,

Good evening. Your SURE bet will be visiting your prospective schools' websites and going through the UG requirements for MS Public Health to confirm if an UG degree in Plant Physiology is included.

I replied your email.
Cheers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 12:47am On Oct 14, 2013
electronic: @imperiouxx!!

(still!! can't decipher the meaning of ur username grin ).lol....

Well Since you have real time experience cool, do you think a Gp of 4/5 . stands a chance for RA/TA (Msc or PHD).....I studied Elect/Elect.
I know the whole system is complex and competitive ! But your answer would be more practical.

I'm not applying to those IVY Leagues anyway. I don't have that kind of money to Gamble!!

I know of WES though, but I don't know If my GP wld put me in the 3.5/4. range.
I have to try and publish angry to boost my chances, or atleast submit a paper to some online journal..

Your 4.0 CGPA(which will fall somewhere between 3.4/4.0 to 3.50/4.0) coupled with a strong GRE score(somewhere around 310), strong letters of recommendation, and an excellent SOP could get you an assistantship in average schools in the US. Top-notch schools will require outstanding and stellar records from you. cool

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 12:50am On Oct 14, 2013
vitus101:

Can I follow the same process and get materials for GRE?

Yea. Do the same thing and get GRE download materials.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 1:07am On Oct 14, 2013
frankie2K: Hello House,

First I dey hail everyone. Imperiouxx, BigFrancis and co,please look into my case;it has bothered me much.Before i begin let me share my profile
a) I am 29 years old.
b) I graduated from secondary school in 2002.
c) Got admitted to ASP to study Computer science(2003) and graduated in 2006 and obtained OND
d) Finished my Industrial Attachment in 2007.
e) I was readmitted in the same polytechnic in 2007, I studied Computer Science from 2007 - 2010 and obtained HND in computer science.
f) I enrolled in an online class in 2010 - 2011 in a Swedish university and obtained a certificate in Intelligent Technology-Computation and the Brain and Cognitive Science respectively.
g) Went for the mandatory NYSC from 2011 - 2012.
h) I enrolled into another Swedish University (online) in 2012 and currently studying some course(Advanced programming with C# and VB.net respectively)
i) I am also teaching Computer science in a high school down here. I designed a program that computes student's result and manage database of various departments in the school.
j) I also help my sponsor in his company to IT related issues.
k) Took TOEFL test last month(not prepared well due to time) and scored 80 points.

Now, I applied to Baylor University and I received a part funding ($4000). I applied for transfer applicant and I paid the deposit only for the i-20 to be scanned to me to check whether my name was spelt correctly and I discovered that I was Admitted to study at Bachelor's level and a duration of 48 months to complete the study.I have paid for the i-20 to be sent via courier I am confused,My question goes like this:

1) Will Age affect my visa issuance?
2) Will the bachelors I got admits jeopardize my chance of getting visa considering age and time i left secondary school?
3) My maternal uncle is sponsoring me with a different surname, how do i defend my self in the embassy?
4) What steps will i take now for visa booking?
Please help me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Age does affect one's chances especially when you have been out of the academic environment for a long time. However, your case is different because all these years you've been very active and busy in the field of academia. That's what's more important. Therefore, I do not think your age will affect you.

I must say, you have a commendable and unique profile up there. ^^^. I like it. Please do make sure you tell the VO exactly all that you've written up there under the what-have-you-been-doing-since-high-school question. Its an excellent answer.

2) In your case I don't think going for a bachelor's will jeopardize your chances. Moreover you're not going as a fresh applicant but as a transfer student. Meaning that you're likely to be placed around 300 level, if not 400 level sef.

3) Yea. Go on. A maternal uncle CAN sponsor you. Just tell the VO your sponsor is your maternal uncle. That isn't a problem, ok?

4) I guess others have already answered this question.

Take care.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 1:09am On Oct 14, 2013
xandy84: bros no vex.. What is 3.08 in naija GP going to be in scale of 4.0? Thanks

3.08 will likely fall around 3.0/4.0 on the 4 point scale.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 2:10am On Oct 14, 2013
bigfrancis21:

3.08 will likely fall around 3.0/4.0 on the 4 point scale.

grin grin I guess this is typographical error.

You've already said "4.0 CGPA(which will fall somewhere between 3.4/4.0 to 3.50/4.0)" up there.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Immortal1(m): 5:34am On Oct 14, 2013
Nice thread!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 7:23am On Oct 14, 2013

Your GP will be from this range 2.60-2.80/4pts. Cos when I evaluate mine from 3.20/5pts I end up at 3.06/4pts(WES)

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 8:06am On Oct 14, 2013
imperiouxx:

grin grin I guess this is typographical error.

You've already said "4.0 CGPA(which will fall somewhere between 3.4/4.0 to 3.50/4.0)" up there.

Morning bro. Howdy?

Yea. The 4.0 was over 5 point(our Naija scale). Ie 4.0/5.0. Look at Electronic's post. I know someone who his CGPA was 4.10/5.0 and after conversion to the US 4-point scale, his new CGPA was 3.53/4.0.

The 3.08 was also over 5 points which on the 4-point scale will fall around 3.0/4.0 (+ or - 0.02 error margin). My friend who graduated with 3.12/5.0, converted his CGPA to the US 4-point scale and his new CGPA was 3.05/4.0. 3.08 will therefore fall around that 3.0/4.0 margin. smiley

So you see, I'm making fairly accurate pro-rated estimations. smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Dimejidude(m): 8:08am On Oct 14, 2013
Hello NL.Please How can I get SAT 1 Past Questions For My Private Pratice?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 8:14am On Oct 14, 2013
kunlebal:
Your GP will be from this range 2.60-2.80/4pts. Cos when I evaluate mine from 3.20/5pts I end up at 3.06/4pts(WES)

Your estimate is a bit too low. The 2.60 - 2.80 range you mentioned there is for 5-point CGPAs of between 2.50/5.0 to 2.60/5.0. Another friend of mine who graduated with 2.33/5.0 converted his CGPA and got 2.50/4.0. So a 5-point scale CGPA of 2.50/5.0 to 2.65/5.0 will fall around that your 2.60/4.0 - 2.80/4.0 range.

I have a friend who's in Texas currently who converted his CGPA using WES. He graduated with 2.99/5.0 and when converted by WES he got the same 2.99/4.0. He really wished his CGPA would reach up to 3.0 over 4.0. So 3.08/5.0 which is higher than 2.99/5.0 when converted to the 4-point scale WON'T go below 3.0/4.0. wink

When converted to the 4-point scale, there isn't much difference between your 3.20 and 3.08. The current difference of which is 0.12 when converted to the 4-point scale will further be compressed to say, 0.05. The guy's new CGPA will not be far much lower than yours(3.05/4.0). 3.0 is a fairly accurate guess. smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obotubong: 8:27am On Oct 14, 2013
obotubong:

i did inform him about my deferred admission but he didnt inform me he was travelling and even i didn't reason then dat it would take this long to go for the interview. so right now i am confused. i need solutions cos telling the VO dat my uncle wasn't available to give me updated statement may sound like he also wouldn't be available to pay my tuition when the time arrives.

advice needed
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 9:53am On Oct 14, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Your estimate is a bit too low. The 2.60 - 2.80 range you mentioned there is for 5-point CGPAs of between 2.50/5.0 to 2.60/5.0. Another friend of mine who graduated with 2.33/5.0 converted his CGPA and got 2.50/4.0. So a 5-point scale CGPA of 2.50/5.0 to 2.65/5.0 will fall around that your 2.60/4.0 - 2.80/4.0 range.

I have a friend who's in Texas currently who converted his CGPA using WES. He graduated with 2.99/5.0 and when converted by WES he got the same 2.99/4.0. He really wished his CGPA would reach up to 3.0 over 4.0. So 3.08/5.0 which is higher than 2.99/5.0 when converted to the 4-point scale WON'T go below 3.0/4.0. wink

When converted to the 4-point scale, there isn't much difference between your 3.20 and 3.08. The current difference of which is 0.12 when converted to the 4-point scale will further be compressed to say, 0.05. The guy's new CGPA will not be far much lower than yours(3.05/4.0). 3.0 is a fairly accurate guess. smiley
That can only be possible if he as more C's that can be converted into B's, cos during my own case i have lot of B's which they can only convert to B+. i wish him the best.

(1) (2) (3) ... (393) (394) (395) (396) (397) (398) (399) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.