Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,352 members, 7,822,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! - Politics (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! (71303 Views)

Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe / Blame Jonathan For Nigeria's Woes - Obasanjo...says Achebe Is Living In The Past / Chinua Achebe Is Ignorant Of The Situation In Nigeria - GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by frederal(m): 4:16am On Mar 23, 2013
I hate when people compare river with ocean in magnitude/size; d oceanic Achebe RIP.

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 4:31am On Mar 23, 2013
tpia@:
Imagine people logging on to nl to find out more about achebe and his work, only to meet all the thread derailments and whatnot going on here.

The state of nigerian education is indeed a cause for concern, we are a nation of illiterates it seems.

What a pity! From the country which revolutionized african literature.

At times I wonder if youre ok.

Arent you the same person that was upset that Nigerians thought giving Patience Jonathan N4Billion to play "Build-A-Mission-House" with was wrong? Didnt you support giving that illiterate money for such a wasteful expenditure based on a terribly flimsy excuse? And u dare to call people illiterates?

Please respect yourself dont let me insult you.....

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Crayola1: 4:50am On Mar 23, 2013
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by mamagee3(f): 5:00am On Mar 23, 2013
May his soul rest in peace!!!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by bittyend(m): 5:00am On Mar 23, 2013
--- Sorry about that.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by bittyend(m): 5:04am On Mar 23, 2013
阿契贝是一个伟大的人, 但他做了什么, 他不应该这样做.
所有Igbos的女孩, 他的死亡感到痛苦, 可以来我的床为一些长冲程. 吻!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by bittyend(m): 5:06am On Mar 23, 2013
Honouring the man in mandarin with a nice chinko girl lying butt naked.

Pouring out a little liquor.

Adieu. cool
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 5:27am On Mar 23, 2013
bittyend: Honouring the man in mandarin with a nice chinko girl lying butt naked.

Pouring out a little liquor.

Adieu. cool

Sure, but your Avatar shows you as an ape smoking a cigar.

Whatever ni*gga, show a pic so we can believe you, if not... YOU NEED MORE PEOPLE!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by bittyend(m): 5:31am On Mar 23, 2013
kingoflag:

Sure, but your Avatar shows you as an ape smoking a cigar.

Whatever ni*gga, show a pic so we can believe you, if not... YOU NEED MORE PEOPLE!

The naked chink girl or the liquor? cheesy

You know the black man is the most desired man on this planet and I have got these chink eyes girls falling in endless love like I'm the bottomless pit. cheesy

Is the girl you're following your sister? She can get it on top of the Empire state building all day! cheesy
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Pataki: 5:38am On Mar 23, 2013
kingoflag:

At times I wonder if youre ok.

Arent you the same person that was upset that Nigerians thought giving Patience Jonathan N4Billion to play "Build-A-Mission-House" with was wrong? Didnt you support giving that illiterate money for such a wasteful expenditure based on a terribly flimsy excuse? And u dare to call people illiterates?

Please respect yourself dont let me insult you.....

tilapia aka tpia is a chronic bipolar personality. No point for you to harangue her. She is most times best ignored.

2 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Ezenwenyi(m): 6:35am On Mar 23, 2013
It is indeed so sad that a true Nigerian Icon has gone to the beyond without seeing the good governance he asked for.

http://stanleyezenwenyi..com/2013/03/things-fall-apart-in-nigeria-as-legend.html
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Freewilly(f): 6:41am On Mar 23, 2013
THIS THREAD SHOULD HAVE BEEN A STICKY THREAD ON THE POLITICS SECTION OF NIARALAND LONG TIME AGO, IT'S SO NOT FAIR.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by azpekuliar: 7:04am On Mar 23, 2013
tpia@:
Imagine people logging on to nl to find out more about achebe and his work, only to meet all the thread derailments and whatnot going on here.

The state of nigerian education is indeed a cause for concern, we are a nation of illiterates it seems.

What a pity! From the country which revolutionized african literature.

Can be very embarrassing! This is place has just gone bonkers!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 7:15am On Mar 23, 2013
This has predictably turned to a literary thread....can the forum admin move this to the literature and fictious book section already ?
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by iconaus: 7:25am On Mar 23, 2013
Adieu Chinua Achebe the greatest of the greatest . As if you know that u would be gone by now you released the book " There was a country ". thank you for that . i told the world the wickenes of Nigeria to his people . Our grand grand children will ever know the history of Biafra . We igbos are proud of you and thank you again for the Book There was a country .

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by tpia5: 7:45am On Mar 23, 2013
Those of you who have an axe to grind, meet me on another thread.

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by othenok(f): 9:36am On Mar 23, 2013
ypzilanti:

My brother, look up the word 'memoir'. The guy had to speak his mind before he died. He was pained, and had to pen his PERSONAL recollection for posterity before leaving planet earth. Memoirs are usually partial to the author, and are critiqued all the time. In saner climes the criticism to Achebe's work would have been historical in context, but in Nigeria, it was tribal.

I have asked severally how attacking Awolowo equates attacking Yoruba people and nobody wants to answer me. You people need to stop all this elevation of people into gods who's decisions and actions cannot be questioned. The same goes to Igbos who venerate Ojukwu like he is a god. My personal opinion was that the war could have been prevented and Ojukwu could have prepared better for war. But I was not born at the time. I think people who experience the pain of that war have a right to speak their mind.

Wow! You 've earned my respect. I 've been wondering of Nigerians don't understand what a memoir is. Bless you!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by naptu2: 9:41am On Mar 23, 2013
On behalf of our Chairperson, Board of Trustees and staff of the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory, we would like to offer our condolences to the family of Prof. Chinua Achebe, a great African writer and thinker, who passed away on 21 March 2013 at the age of 82.

Nelson Mandela referred to Prof. Achebe as a writer “in whose company the prison walls fell down”.

-Sello Hatang

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by mekzyphobia(m): 9:41am On Mar 23, 2013
RIP our daddy we'll miss u
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by kettykin: 10:09am On Mar 23, 2013
I love the above picture showing 2 of the greatest African ever in World history
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by sweetgala(m): 10:57am On Mar 23, 2013
Ivynwa:

What a time indeed! I am still mad mad angry over the way they bombed that Kano bus parks and humans and vehicles in it headed to South East, and he has to die now of all times. Na Wa o.

Southeast and Lagos. Very sure there must have been some Yoruba, Hausa,ijaw efik etc in those buses however they are all Nigerian. And we should persecute justice on their behalf as Nigerians. Igbo people can't keep kicking up ethnic dust in the faces of other Nigerians and expect silence.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by WuzilistiQ(m): 11:04am On Mar 23, 2013
The King is dead, the Man we (Litracture world) dreaded ........ Chinua Achebe things has really FALLEN APART and the centre can not hold, a stroke from the ARROW OF GOD to A MAN OF THE PEOPLE, who knows that THERE WAS A COUNTRY.......R -.I.P our LEGEND.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by sweetgala(m): 11:05am On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:

dayo i feel you.... but OJA was not a saint
But lets not derail this thread that is dedicated to a literary luminary whose works will stand the test of time

None of them were saints. But Awo was a true nationalist. A pioneer who sought clever ways to eliminate poverty and illiteracy.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 12:06pm On Mar 23, 2013
Sir,
I have not made any comment because it was hard for me to accept.

Thanks for the legacy!

As if you knew the time was near, and you had to give us "There was a country".
sir, let not your heart be troubled.

That country is not "was", It is!

Farewell.

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 12:31pm On Mar 23, 2013
ypzilanti:

My brother, look up the word 'memoir'. The guy had to speak his mind before he died. He was pained, and had to pen his PERSONAL recollection for posterity before leaving planet earth. Memoirs are usually partial to the author, and are critiqued all the time. In saner climes the criticism to Achebe's work would have been historical in context, but in Nigeria, it was tribal.

I have asked severally how attacking Awolowo equates attacking Yoruba people and nobody wants to answer me. You people need to stop all this elevation of people into gods who's decisions and actions cannot be questioned. The same goes to Igbos who venerate Ojukwu like he is a god. I think people who experience the pain of that war have a right to speak their mind.

No truer words have been written
Glad to know that there are still some very intelligent people amongst Nigerian youths
Chinua's works would have been incomplete without his memoirs
He told his story
Anyone pained should tell theirs on reputable pages not on Osun defender or bleating on nairaland
Period!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by tomzman: 2:56pm On Mar 23, 2013
Just seeing the news now. RIP Achebe. The Literature world would miss you so much.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by biolabee(m): 3:59pm On Mar 23, 2013
sweet_gala:

None of them were saints. But Awo was a true nationalist. A pioneer who sought clever ways to eliminate poverty and illiteracy.
GBAM but so also were Zik and Sardauna (nationlists)...
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 4:17pm On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:
I know brah.. just saying that these are successful books and they dwell from a time of yore..
if we in Africa can tap into our roots, we could have some good stuff

Another funny thing is that post-colonial Africa has been an epic failure... Heck, I can't even point to one country in Africa that can compete with the worst in other continents, yet we continue to churn out books that're interesting to read - but uninspirational to the African mind... All our best selling books are books that dwell on the darkest parts of our post-colonial history - from the Nigerian civil war, to the genocide in Rwanda, to darfur, to Liberia, and blood diamonds of Sierra Leone... It's just worrisome!! And there's a large market for these books and that's why we've contuned to be a basket case...

At least, pre-colonial Africa had societies that could compete(if not out-compete) with others at that point in history... That's why I focus on that period for inspiration...

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by biolabee(m): 4:19pm On Mar 23, 2013
shymexx:

Another funny thing is that post-colonial Africa has been an epic failure... Heck, I can't even point to one country in Africa that can compete with the worst in other continents, yet we continue to churn out books that're interesting to read - but uninspirational to the African mind... All our best selling books are books that dwell on the darkest parts of our post-colonial history - from the Nigerian civil war, to the genocide in Rwanda, to darfyr, to Liberia, and blood diamonds of Sierra Leone... It's just worrisome!! And there's a large market for these books and that's why we've contuned to be a basket case...

At least, pre-colonial Africa had societies that could compete(if not out-compete) with others at that point in history... That's why I focus on that period for inspiration...

Sweet!!
The Mandinka, The Dahomey, Oyo Empire, Benin Empire, Songhay

Great empires....
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by richjohn1(m): 5:56pm On Mar 23, 2013
I loved this man called daddy Achebe and the love grew with every national award he rejected, he meant everything to me but "There was a country" reduced everything to -zero! I couldn't understand why the embers of hatred should be fanned at such an age and a public figure for that matter! That's why this thread has more than half of its post hidden too bad!
I read the review of that book dissapointed, felt so gutted.
Anyway outstanding star rest in peace I still love you sir!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by ikooko(m): 6:27pm On Mar 23, 2013
coogar:

that achebe denigrated a dead man should not make you do the same thing. achebe was clearly bitter about the death toll during the civil war. i was also pissed with some bits in his book but i have forgiven him.
I Love this, I wish we can all do this, but I guess Achebe refused to reason this way. No P, life goes on.
Naija have come to stay.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by A40(m): 7:58pm On Mar 23, 2013
The real problem as we speak dey Aso Rock,Natl Assembly,Govt Houses,Secretariats,State House of Assemblies and una dey dey abuse people wey don die both Awo and Achebe!
Its sad to see us making the same mistakes the older generation made. Smh
The people wey decide to amalgamate this country no try at all!

RIP Chinua Achebe! Literature was never my cup of coffee but dude was legendary

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu: I Will Hunt Ene Okon Children If They Kill One At My Parents Burial / Dino Melaye Shows Off His Cars As He Strikes A Pose / Aisha Buhari, Next First Lady, Looks Astonished (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.